Love Belgian Beer?

YOUR RATING = None |
Duckpin Pale AleDuckpin Pale Ale

Union Craft Brewing Company
Maryland, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by yourefragile on 07-05-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 46 | Ratings: 369
3.61/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Foggy gold in color. Frothy off-white, almost beige head leaves a nice film all the way to the bottom.

Smells of very pale malts. A nice toasted bread aroma. A little bit of resin and citrus.

Some crisp, spicy hops up front that have more feel than flavor. Followed by very soft, light and fluffy pale malts. A little bit of pine, pineapple, grapefruit. Finishes with solid bitterness and some lingering resinous oils

Overall, a pretty good pale ale and enjoyable beer. Could use a little more popping flavor.

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pale ales typically get a fairly ho-hum representation, but this one serves a pretty good purpose as a full bodied yet slightly lighter version of a flavorful IPA that when compared to a session IPA, this has great balance.

4.39/5  rDev +14%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz cans consumed out of many different glasses.
It is a superb balance of hop and malt. The color is a hazy amber yellow. Being a annapolis local, I have very easy access to this beer. Whether I'm at a concert, a sporting event, just finished the yardwork, or had a long day at work, this is my go-to beer. It is just great.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Thank to Lucular for this 12 oz. can, my first taste of Duckpin. After all the big, dark, barrelly shit from last night, I’m ready for something light & airy.

The pour is light orange with plenty of pop. Nose boasts a bit of grapefruit, fruitiness, sweet malt. Not much to delve into.

Duckpin Pale doesn’t bring any superlatives to mind, it’s the epitome of a hopped-up pale. Nice hop bite, light trade winds fruitiness, backup of sweet malt. Easy to drink.

I have almost nothing to say about this; routinely pretty good.

4.27/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

An almost cloudy, orange color, this beer looks great and tastes pretty darn good too. A good mix of malts and hops, both in the smell and taste. It's got a feel that's perfect for the style and overall I can't think of too much that's wrong with this beer. I was very pleased with what I had. Good job, Union. Showing that Baltimore has more than just Natty Boh.

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can poured into pint glass with a pale yellow color and off white head that quickly evaporated. Heavy hop feel and taste that gets balanced by a lightly toasted cereal malty flavor.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 14 ounce cup.
Pours a dark orange color with a medium white head.
This is a very nice piney pale ale. Perfect for an outdoor summer afternoon.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This was so so. Tasting more malt than anything. Not only is there a lack of noticeable hops, but there is an awkward aftertaste I can't place.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

4.08/5  rDev +6%

On-tap at Max's Taphouse, on to the beer:

This pale ale light orange colored, topped with a half-inch of head, and leaves good creamy lacing around. Good things come to those who smell, and I smell pleasing crisp pine, cantaloupe, and honeydew in this one. The beer is plenty hoppy alright, but the beer also doesn't go overboard with the lupulins and is extremely refreshing. Somewhat light in the mouth, this beer brings pine, melon, honeydew and light dry biscuits notes to my palate, allowing them to sing and replenish from the brutal summer heat of Baltimore. There's quality in Duckpin Pale Ale.

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. can with a 7/16/15 sticker on the top of the 6 pack. Pretty damn fresh. Standard pale ale color. Aroma is outstanding. Citrus, mango from the hops with a little breadiness. Taste is no surprise. Great balance and a beer I could drink all the time.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

I picked this up never having heard of it while in DC. Was pleasantly surprised with the more complex flavor profile than I expected. Drinks more like a heaver IPA than one would expect with this ABV. Nice citrus flavors and hop aromas, nice bitter aftertaste all on a solid malt backbone. Would buy again.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Undated can into pint glass. Hazy, deep gold with a thin tan head. Moderate carbonation. Medium mouthfeel, probably about right for an IPA. Hoppy/bitter, but not what I'd call an interesting flavor profile - kind of one-dimensional. Not bad, but not anywhere near outstanding.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. can poured into a becker.

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear glowing orange/gold with a one-finger white head and some decent carbonation. Not a ton of lace on the way down.

Aroma: Nice nose. Grapefruit, hops, resin, maybe a little mango. Nice hoppy, fruity aroma.

Taste: Really tasty pale ale. Follows the nose, with fruit and hop stickiness. Strikes me more as a mild IPA than an APA. Either way, it's a really tasty and very sessionable pale ale.

Mouthfeel: Nice all-seasons depth. Has the appropriate amount of body for the style.

Overall: Great beer named after a wonderful game. I don't think you'll find a better domestic pale ale in 12 oz. cans.

3.24/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Light rusted orange, small white head, spotty lacing. Slight tropical fruit aroma and maybe a hint of citrus and malt but overall pretty subdued. Light tropical hop flavor but it doesn't deliver the hop punch it promises. Thin feel, prickly carbonation all the way through and a lingering bitterness. This beer didn't really hit the mark for me, it doesn't really do anything exceptional and I've had beers sub 4.5% ABV with more flavor and hop punch.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Beautiful golden amber with a thin, creamy cap. Nice lacing. Light caramel and toffee on the nose. Creamy texture and sweet malt up front, light citrus and pine slowly comes in. Prickly, dry finish. There's a really nice balance here. It's really the best of both worlds-seamlessly mixing sweet, caramel malt with biting, grassy hops.

2.47/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Clearly not my type. I won't waste words on this one, and only say that it's a bitter, hoppy pale ale in not the way that I enjoy. Little in the way of any interesting smell, and the taste is almost obnoxiously East-Coast-style hoppy - all bitter burn and not much else. Nothing offensive about it per say, and I guess if you like straightforward hoppy pale ales, go for it, but I certainly won't bother with it again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A well put together pale ale. These days everybody is over hopping everything and barrel aging the rest . . . A solid brew here and a style probably needs more attention.

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I really like this one. Hoppier than most pales and borders on a low alcohol IPA. If they marketed this as a session IPA they would be closer to the truth. I thoroughly enjoyed this.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had the Double Duckpin this past weekend and enjoyed it so much that I went out and bought some other Union beer.

Their Pale has a decent look to it, but is a little light looking. Aroma is very good, with nice floral and malt scents. Body and lacing are good as well. My only issue is that the finish is a little tangy for my tastes. It didn't quite finish very smoothly. Still a good beer, though.

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can. Orange body with hints of amber and a half inch of head. Citrusy aroma with a touch of grass. Mild earthy character with cracker & biscuit malt notes. Fairly balanced, in favor of hops. Juicy and relatively light in body with zesty carbonation. Decent.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce can I got from a good buddy...Robert A. Thanks!

I could smell the pine as soon as I pulled the tab on the can. It's a slightly hazy honey gold colour with a firm 1" head of foam. It started off bigger but refuses to get smaller.

Smell? I already covered that above. ;^)

The taste is as piney as any I've had in a Pale Ale with more than a hint of some tropical fruit going on in the background. I get a bit of bready malt but nothing that I would remotely call sweet. As in sugary sweet, not as in sweeeet, this brew is good.

Perfecto mouthfeel, this is one heck of a delicious hop forward Pale Ale!

4.14/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours and orangeish amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing.

S- Sweet, citrusy hop aroma that's slightly musty.

T- Soft hop flavor with a moderate bitterness and a sturdy, bready malt base. The hops beat out the malt but not by much since this is a very juicy, hop-forward IPA.

M- A bit thin which is its only real downfall. Medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- Great pale ale by a brewery I've never heard of before. Would be interested in trying some of their other offerings.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to a buddy who picked it up fresh from Baltimore. Can into snifter. Look and smell of a good IPA. Dank, grass, citrus. Nice carbonation. Taste is flat, falls off. Very little flavor. A hint of lime, grass. Caramel finish. Glad I got to try but not my favorite.

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

EDIT: The second review in two weeks I've had to go back and edit. I've had a couple more since my first, and although it doesn't have a great malt backbone, the New Zealand hops shine through and make this delicious. I will be picking up more this summer, too bad I can't find any can dating, but I'll trust the fact that this is a local beer.

Poured from a 12 FL OZ can into a pint glass. No canned on nor best by dating.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy light orange with a thin white head.

Smell: Sweet biscuity malts and tropical fruit hop aroma. Definitely notice the "Southern Hemisphere" hops. Inviting.

Taste: Not a ton of flavor as the aroma would suggest. Slightly sharp, tart taste from the hops. Thin malt flavor. EDIT: I really like the tropical fruit flavor from the New Zealand hops.

Mouthfeel: Very light, thin bodied, not a great execution. Certainly refreshing. EDIT: I have to keep in mind this is a pale ale, no more no less.

Overall: Not bad, but far from a favorite. EDIT: I am enjoying this more and more and will certainly buy this again.

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clearish amber color. The head is a finger high with a shade that's barely off-white. Not much in the way of retention - it fades to a thin film rather rapidly. At least there are some streaks of lacing left on the glass.

S: Some of the citrusy and even tropical fruit hops come out pretty well - it's not an explosive hop aroma, but it's a good one. Also piny in spurts. Like most pale ales, malts appear with notes of caramel and even some sugary wisps.

T: This is a decent mix of tropical/herbaceous/piny hops (I'm even getting those high falutin' Galaxy hops, which I love) and candy-like malts. Hops on the front end, malts near the finish. I wish the tropical notes were more vivid - they're kind of getting lost within the more generic grapefruit and caramel tones. Still, this is a very good pale ale that I'm not getting tired of drinking (if I ever get tired of drinking a single pale ale, then we have serious problems!)

M: A gentle lingering sweetness helps make this crisp, clean brew quite refreshing. Honestly, it starts to linger a bit strongly after a while. Take that out of the equation and the feel is very nice: carbonation is just right, fullness of the body is just right, and the finishing dryness is just right.

O: My buddy Nick swears by this beer as "his Bud Light". I know for a fact I'd much rather drink this over Bud Light (other things I'd rather be doing than drinking Bud Light also include stapling my ear to a wall, taking a kick to the groin, and bathing in cement). Still, this is a very good and very quaffable local pale ale - and as we all know, local equals good, except when it's not. As I continue to drink it, it just seems to get better and better; hell, I'm just done finishing my second can in this session.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast