The Toques Of Hazzard White Imperial IPA | Parallel 49 Brewing Company

The Toques Of Hazzard White Imperial IPAThe Toques Of Hazzard White Imperial IPA

Parallel 49 Brewing Company
British Columbia, Canada
parallel49brewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An Imperial IPA made with wheat to keep the beer light bodied and a hazy white. Big hop flavours and aromas of tropical fruit and gooseberries from the Citra and Nelson Sauvin hops.

Added by smekermann on 11-28-2013

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

My favourite craft beer by far. From a 6pk including Gypsy Tears and filthy Dirty, poured from a 341mL btl into a Tulip

L: very musky and orange, not transparent at all 1.5 fingers of head that sticks around for awhile

S: Very tropical hints of orange, pineapple, apricot and pear with a slight hint of hoppyness (happiness?) ;)

T: Fruity as mentioned above very crisp, no dryness. Can definitely feel the carbonation

M: Kind of heavy but not like a porter heavy, quite fizzy

O: As mentioned above my fave craft beer (that I've tried) wish that it wasn't a seasonal would pick up one every day if possible

4.51/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%

4.31/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy amber color with moderate off-white head. Smell is a lot less hard-hitting than I'd hoped for a double IPA brewed with Nelson hops. You get some faint hop notes, almost all of them consisting of tropical fruit.

Taste is pretty damn good. Again, I saw the Nelson hops on the ingredients list and I kinda assumed this would be an over the top beer for some reason (I guess mainly because most of the Nelson IPAs I've had have had that distinction), but it turned out to be the complete opposite: this beer has a really mellow tone to it: light malt body (and by light I mean you probably won't taste it), supporting a really mellow yet gorgeous hop profile of tropical fruits and mild citrus.

Mouthfeel is similarly grand with medium to low carbonation making this beer a very easy drinker. Alcohol, to me, is completely hidden, though I've seen people say it's noticeable, so your mileage may vary, I guess (a strange statement to make on a beer review site, I know). I personally found it to be almost too drinkable, given its alcohol content. I guess maybe that's my main problem with this beer (which admittedly isn't a very big one) - it doesn't have enough "zing" to make you feel like you're drinking a double IPA. If the alcohol content had been hidden, I wouldn't have placed this above a 6.5, maybe a 7 max. I also don't know if this really fits the definition of a white IPA. The wheat seems very subdued to me, although I guess it does lend the beer a slightly creamier quality.

So anyway, I'll just come out and say this: ToH seems almost identical in taste to P49's earlier Snap, Crackle, Hop. I'm not sure if it's just me tasting this or what, but the hop profile is really similar, as is the body of the beer (except a bit creamier, as I said earlier). It's obviously lacking the rice, so maybe P49 decided to brew this as an answer to all the people complaining about the use of rice in SCH. It definitely seems to follow the same standards: thin malt body, hop profile vehicle. Still, if these things didn't bother you about SCH, they shouldn't bother you here. And if you disliked the rice in SCH, you might be able to appreciate this version of the brew a bit more.

edit: now that I have it again, this beer smells kinda glorious. My nose was probably switched off when I first had it.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a decent head with ok retention but shy lacing.

I can smell pineapples, peaches and oranges. Not a bad start aroma wise I would say.

It tastes like peaches, oranges and some pine needles. A little sweetness. Somewhat bitter.

Medium body and carbonation.

This is one of the best White IPA's I've had. Complex aromas and taste. I'll have to taste it again with fresher taste buds.

Notes: I'm a huge hop head. My favourite is Driftwood's Fat Tug. I drank two Stone IPA's before reviewing this one. This might have saturated some taste buds...

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

341ml bottle poured into tulip 298/11/14

A bright golden yellow with a chill haze and just a few tiny bubbles moving very slowly, just a finger of short lived foam that somehow manages to leave plenty of lace

S pineapple, passion fruit, mango, melon, canned peaches, big tropical nose, faint cereals, a hint of chewing gum and booze but I'd never guess 9.2%, not sure what's "white" about it

T more caramel then the nose but still very tropical, tastes more like juice then beer, a little spruce and a hint of booze but again drinks like something much weaker

M has a fair amount of body, more bubbles then I'd guess after looking at it, bitter, a little grit, big rindy finish and well concealed booze

O I wasn't sure what to expect but I really liked this one, big and tropical and could sneak up on ya if you let it

I'm not sure how this is a white DIPA, perhaps a recipe change or I'm completely missing the yeast and spice? Don't care though because its tasty stuff at the end of the day

4.24/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Pale gold color, slightly cloudy, about three fingers of head with slight lacing on the glass
S: Hoppy, some citrusy and piney aromas in the background, alcoholic and a bit worty
T: Strong hop flavor, nice bitterness, get notes of citrusy/piney hops, finish is a nice hop bitterness with strong alcohol taste
M: Medium body, very well carbonated, slightly dry finish
O: Delicious beer, really nice citrusy hop flavours, fairly bitter at 76 IBUs but quite drinkable for an IIPA, the "white" twist on the IIPA works really, really well - fantastic

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

This poured a nice golden colour with a thin white head that lasted for quite a while. The nose has citrus and tropical fruit up front with a sweet maltiness balancing it out. Was actually expecting a bit more hop forwardness but the malt balanced it out. The taste is more malt forward than I expected as well. There is a honey sweetness along with some bread and pineapple, but non of the alcohol burn you might expect from a 9.2% ABV. Even the mouthfeel doesn't have that burn and is on the high medium side. A very good beer.

The Toques Of Hazzard White Imperial IPA from Parallel 49 Brewing Company