Jerkface 9000 | Parallel 49 Brewing Company

Jerkface 9000Jerkface 9000
Reviews: 24 | Ratings: 98
Reviews by 69IBU:
3.39/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Been working in the craft beer world for many years now, and this is among the beers I've heard so much about but have never gotten around to trying yet - until today.

Bought a 473ml can and it pours dark yellow with a slight haze. Head was quite faint and dissipated fairly quickly.

Aroma is hop-forward and admittedly a bit uninteresting. Sips very smooth with not a lot of carbonation in the mouth at all. Picking up notes of wheat, but right at the end you get a big kick of hops in the back of your throat.

Really could use more carbonation. I don't think my can was stale, because the store I purchased it from sells quite a bit of this stuff. I, however, am not as big a fan of the beer as they are. It just tastes like a very weakly carbonated wheat ale with hops in it. I honestly think it'd be better without that extra dose of mosaic in it.

4.19/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ok, since I'm ever the Parallel 49 apologist around these parts, I figure I should actually write a review for this thing. Look, despite the fairly atrocious label and name and color scheme for the said label, this beer is actually really nice. It's a hoppy wheat pale, with Mosaic. What the hell is there not to like? The wheat was fairly modest, the Mosaic hops were front and center, and actually came through really nicely for the ABV.

I feel this beer showcases the Mosaic hops much more-so than their last batch of Hopnotist, which was extremely underwhelming. I honestly didn't expect much out of this beer, and I honestly don't know what the hell P49/Storm were thinking with this label, because it's literally the worst label I've seen on a Canadian beer. The color scheme, the name, the ugly mug caricature front and center on the label - it certainly doesn't make you wanna buy this beer. Yet against my better judgement, I bought it (mainly because the store I was at was out of Fat Tug and I was feelin' like some goddamn hops), and you know what? It's actually damn good for what it is. I'd even go as far as saying that this is probably Parallel 49's best beer in a long while. For too long they've been content on resting upon their laurels and churning out sorta mediocre beer and (even worse) really underwhelming second (and third) batches of previously amazing recipes.

This beer, by comparison, seems like they're aiming for some Modern Times shit. I don't know if they're quite there yet, but I have to say they're not too far off the mark. I also wish they'd aim for this level of quality out of all their new beers nowadays.

3.87/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From the looks of the label I was expecting something bitter but not quite the case.

Look: nice blonde haze with good head and lace that leaves a light frothy layer.

Scent: gives a prodinatly sweet hops smell that has a citrus mango backing.

Taste: a bit of a surprise after the smell as it was less hoppy as the scent let on. Stronger fruit citrus mix with the ops playing a supporting role to me.

Feel: very smooth with nice lingering after.

Overall: A nice presentation from label to finish and very enjoyable. Not ready to give it full marks as it does not quite hit the wheat beer style As well as expected.

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Can: Poured a bright blonde color ale with a nice pure white foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of sweet malt notes with some citrusy and somewhat juicy hops notes. Taste is a refreshing mix of juicy hops with refreshing citrusy notes with limited bitterness and some sweet malt notes. Body is about average for style with good carbonation. Better than expected with nice refreshing factor.

3.77/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.3/5  rDev +10%

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Clear gold with a white head that shows a little leg from a thin ring of retention.

Seriously dank aroma overpowers everything.

Taste echoes the aroma, but some piny resin does show through.

Fairly light, smooth and almost creamy, with an off dry finish.

I expected moe wheat character and way more citrus.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.57/5  rDev -34.3%

A- Not a huge fan of the artwork/label on this one....I've actually stayed away from this for the longest time b/c of the idiotic name/labeling but decided it's the product that counts, right?! Anyways, The beer itself is a hazy light golden color and looks to have a lot of suspended yeast floating about. The head is white and starts about two fingers in thickness before settling rather quickly into a bath soap looking concoction....the carbonation is very very mild, with only the odd single bubble rising to the top of the liquid and popping....interesting! Lacing is actually quite impressive, with thick clumps of protein clinging to the inside of my glass! Not a real great looking beer, but I've seen worse.

S- I get a huge pile of leafy hop cones right off the bat, that offer plenty of citrus and to a lesser degree, tropical fruit, with grapefruit being at the forefront, followed by peach/apricot/mango?... There is some caramel malt sweetness hiding in the background, with yeasty biscuit, dry unmalted wheat and/or barley kernels, and unmoist grass rounding out things on my sniffer.

T- This has much more of an IPA flavor quality about it rather than what I expect out of my wheat Ales. Lots of bittering hops that start, stagnate, and finish off on the palate, leaving behind a metallic astringency long after the taste. The fuller fruit profile I was hoping to have simply isn't there and I find the malt sweetness that is present to be of an artificial syrupy cloying type. Its too floral, bitter in your face!

M/O- Medium bodied and the carbonation is on the weaker end of the spectrum, which does really allow the flavors to coat the palate. I totally disagree that this is a refreshing beer and I'm already tired of burping up hops and other than the lacing that gave me an impression of the continental USA, I'm not really impressed. While I would drink this if handed one and am getting it down, the heavy sweetness, combined with the mouth puckering bitterness isn't for me and doesn't represent what a good wheat Ale should be.....what a Jerk of a beer!

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

On tap at Cannibal, Vancouver.
Hazy blonde with white crust. 4
Shredded wheat and big oily lemon nose. 4
Weetina, then big NZ lime, starfruit, and kiwi hops. 4.25
Honeydew end and zesty linger.
Light, some fizz, clean and crisp. 4

“West Coast Wheat” - more like west coast of the South Island: Mosaic playing chameleon and acting all NZ. Superbright, fresh, and drinkable. Better-than-American wheat proves the style. Let me drink this all summer. 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

341ml bottle - a Northwest (read: hoppy) wheat beer. Ok, I'll bite.

This beer pours a clear, medium golden yellow colour, with one fat finger of loosely foamy, kind of chunky, but mostly just bubbly dirty white head, which leaves some tacky snow rime lace in places around the glass as it quickly sinks away.

It smells of dank pine resin, overripe orange and grapefruit rind, spicy wheat malt, further muddled tropical fruit, a hint of white pepper, and some plain leafy, earthy bitterness. The taste is more charged damp pine needle and citrus astringencies, gritty pale and wheat malts, watery black pepper, some middling pineapple and kiwi south-seas fruitiness, and the same leveling earthy bitterness from the nose.

The bubbles are adequately fizzy and frothy for the task at hand, the body a sturdy medium weight for the style, and a bit pithy in its otherwise agreeable smoothness. It finishes off-dry, just, the mixed fruitiness of the hop [sic] still joined at the hip with the faceless wheat malt.

An enjoyable, if a bit stunted example of this joining of styles - big Cascadian hop treatment of a plain American wheat ale. It mostly works, insomuch as I feel like I'm drinking a wheat-tinged IPA. Could see having a few of these on the impending (hopefully) patios of lore, with the added benefit of having a bit o' fun with the label.

3.87/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +5.9%

473mL can; thanks to my cousin, Kris, for picking this up in Winnipeg for me to try. Tall & frothy ivory head caps a hazed golden colored ale; great head retention and lacing. Zesty lemon-lime, passion fruit scented aroma. Flavors are boldly bitter with notes of tart passion fruit, zesty lemon-lime & kumquat with a modest wheat based malt presence. Creamy and quite full bodied, nice carbonation, and an assertive, zesty Mosaic hop finish. This was really good! I wish I had more than one can of it. Definitely recommendable if you're looking for something that's both refreshing and bitter. I could drink this all summer.

341ml bottle poured into tulip 25/8/15

A bright golden yellow, suspended particles everywhere with just a few bubbles moving them around, a thumbs width of loose foam leaves a single partial ring followed by a few random patches

S lemon, pineapple, mango, and sweet orange, lots of tropical hops, a little dry cracker but I doubt I'd guess wheat malt, just a hint of spruce

T now I'm getting a little wheaty cereal but again its more hops then anything, maybe a little peach I didn't smell

M light, fluffy, a mild bitter snap with some very fine grit, lemon peel lingers

O my glass is already empty at this point, she sinks like a ship, well rounded and no complaints anywhere

Would make for a good session under a hot sun, lots of hops and something light that wont fill you up

3.94/5  rDev +0.8%

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.86/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 341mL bottle into an Altamont glass.

A really stellar beer! The Mosaic's more tropical notes shine through on the nose, and linger on into the taste profile, helped brilliantly by the sweetness of the malted wheat. It's a light, fizzy sort of beer that attains perfect balance. It's hoppy, but not TOO hoppy; light, but not too light; wheated, but not too sweet.

In short, it's a great, easy-drinker for any crowd or any time. Also, it's got a swell label.

3.81/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%