Snap, Crackle, Hop Imperial Rice IPA | Parallel 49 Brewing Company

Parallel 49 Brewing Company
British Columbia, Canada
parallel49brewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Imperial Rice IPA brewed exclusively with New Zealand Motueka hops.

Added by smekermann on 08-23-2013

4.89/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Parallel 49 announced that they had released beer earlier this week on their Facebook page. By the time I strolled into their tasting room a couple of days later, they had ran out of bottles so I settled for a nice growler of it (priced at a reasonable $17 CAD)

Appearance is an attractive hazy amber with a smooth, off-white head standing about 1" tall. The aroma is positively entrancing, with nuances of ripe tropical fruit and citrus aromas that assault your nostrils.

Initial taste is basically the smell amplified by a factor of ten. It has an absolutely gorgeous hop profile: again, overwhelming ripe tropical fruit, followed by some citrus zest, followed by a weed-y, piney aftertaste that is really quite pungent and delicious. This beer is pretty much all hops, due to its use of rice: it has a tremendously light body, with almost no malt interference whatsoever. It also happens to be bone-dry which, combined with almost non-existent embittering beta acids, makes for an absolutely lethal drinking experience. I positively inhaled the first pint of my grower before even realizing what was going on and deciding to slow down.

My only complaint, which undoubtedly has a lot to do with the format I chose to experience the beer in, is that carbonation is a bit on the light side. I didn't really ding its rating based on that, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if I'd had it in a bottle I would've given it a 5/5. Maybe I'll update this review accordingly once I taste it in a bottled format.

All in all, Parallel 49 once again blows my mind (and, more importantly, taste buds) with another amazing Imperial IPA. I was even a bit skeptical of this beer, seeing as it had rice and I'd never had a rice IPA before. All sorts of assumptions were made. Those assumptions were completely discarded upon the first sip of this. I think I may like this even better than I liked Hopnotist.

edit: this is a review of the first batch, when it came out. I've had later batches of this and they haven't even come close to the glory of the first batch. If I were to rate this beer again, it'd be around the 3.5-3.75 range. Still no body to speak of but the hop profile is anemic as hell nowadays. Underwhelming as hell, especially knowing how good the first batch was. Leaving this review up for historical purposes, though.

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked this up one a recommendation on the Canada forum.

I had heard it was coming out, but was very sceptical about rive in a beer, associating it with major swill. Will have to rethink it, but it seems to lighten the body of this beer without any negatives.

The real star here is the intense Moteuka.

A: Pours a deep amber/orange, with a three finger slightly off white head.

S: Smells amazing. Just such an intense, sharp, spicy aroma! Tropicals in the background.

T: The taste is equally intense, with just full on hoppiness. Spicy at the start with tropical and citrus finish. Was so close to giving this a 5. Alcohol is hidden well.

M: Mothfeel is light for an imperial, but with an oily slicness that I like in a hop bomb.

O:Overall this is an amazing beer. Will be drinking as much of this as I can before it dissapears!

4.49/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.36/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: A mostly clear bright orange like the colour of Jell-o. A weakly built white head, and you can see several trails of micro-marble carbonation bubbles floating to the top throughout the liquid.

Aromatics: Has a nice floral and grapefruit nose. Some mild green grass hoppiness, a mild lemon peel, and hint of honey dew melon.

Taste: Juicy! and remarkably complex, with a slight orange and grapefruit juice mixture, with thinned honey, and soft green grass that has a slightly dank farmhouse quality without the funk.

Mouth: A well built medium body, the carbonation not persistent enough to say it is active, but there is still a nice little froth for the palate. It is juicy and buttery, a little spritz from the carb does show up, and a clean and dry finish leaving behind a mild muting/numbing vacant hobo's cardboard house on the front of the tongue. The bitter is negligible as is any indication that this baby is over 9%.

Overall: Browsing the ratings, I'm wondering if their formulation has changed at all for this one. Because my recent review of The Alchemist's Heady Topper gave me many of the same impressions I get with this one. Maybe a quarter point off on a few of the judging elements but I think it deserves far more that what it has received in the past years. And it seems to be related to lack of a big hop aroma, which I can understand if you are a NW native and used to smelling the full grapefruit and pine orchard from an IPA, But this a DIPA, and in my experience once you go Imperial all kinds of things change in the chemistry of the aroma and flavour. This beer really excels in the flavour and feel departments, maybe needs a little something in head and aromas, but for flavour and feel alone, this is an excellent beer. I compare this to Hitachino's Red Rice PA - and Snap, Crackle, Hop is leagues better in flavour and the masking of an ABV that is 2.3% higher.

Pairing: Lol, I'm going to suggest something partly out of jest, but partly because I think it just be a great idea. Given the title of the brew I'm going to say "fresh" Rice Krispie squares (ie hot out of the pan while still gooey and warm)- but I'd want to introduce a little spice so have browse for "Rice Krispie Treats That Are Not for Kids" - and you will get the idea... a little bourbon, cinnamon, and cayenne in the mix would do amazing things I'm sure. This is a great "let's have some fun" type beer. The next time I get the urge to talk to a female at a social soiree, I'm gonna make sure I have one or two of these on hand.

4.34/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Totally original beer from one of the leaders in BC brewing. The use of rice and a interesting NZ hops creates both a different nose and flavour. The hops are citrus but also piney. There is a tartness to the beer which works with the sweetness of the fruit notes. I also noticed the big mouthfeel really works with the bigness of the ABV and the way the hops open up as it warms up. One of my BC beers of the year.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Purchased at the LCBO for a paltry $5.95 for a 650ml bottle. Served at 6deg C in a tulip

A- 4.5- Opens well and pours not much head but dark orange that is very amazing. So dark DIPA like beer

S- 4.25- WOW that is a good beer. Orange and malt

T- 4.0- Took a bit to get used to however it is a nice beer. So much going for this beer but there is an amature edge that shines through

M- 3.75- Very good considering the high alcohol

O- 4.0- Very good but the boys need to work on the hops and malt with time they boil. So close but so far.
In time this will be a good beer if they play with it

Food Pairing

This pretty good beer went well with....... Sweet and sour chicken wings

Enjoy!

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

A heavy looking IIPA. The body is between amber and brown, looking like the flesh of a plum and hazy as anything. Its creamy off-white head boasts great retention. Sticky rings of lace wrap around the glass.

Its essence is sweet and gooey. Ripe peaches and mango blend with rich caramel and plenty of sweet biscuit. The heaviness from the malt doesn't let a whiff of alcohol pull through.

Floral, leafy hops mix with a zip of alcohol to coat the palate. Candied peaches and dried mangoes come together at the center. The caramel is more casual and glides over its fruity center.

Their use of rice really comes through in the feel. The dryness it imparts isn't sharp or harsh. It's almost unnoticeable. It wasn't until I remembered this is 9.3% that I realized just how clean it was. It lacks the syrupy feel I've got most often in IIPAs of this strength.

Its flavour I enjoyed, the feel and its disgusting sessionability is what blew me away. As an adjunct that's typically looked down upon, I loved that they added "rice IPA" to the label. Not only does it differentiate itself from other examples of style that sit on the same shelf with its label, its addition in the brewing process makes for a memorable impression. This is my first beer from Parallel 49 and I can't wait to get my hands on some more of their stuff!

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: A murky pale amber brewed topped with a frothy & soapy bone white head. The head clings to the glass and has been holding it's structure for a good long time.

S: Smells like a fresh bowl of rice krispies, like grainy puffed rice. A solid scent of citrus notes are present, of lime & lemon and sharp and refreshing. A malty backbone balances out the sharp citrus - it's not over powering malts, just sorta hanging around the walls waiting for someone to ask her to dance.

T: Right out of the gate the rice and citrus begin a tug-a-war for domination - not to worry - they make up and decide to share the spot light. Chewy and grainy while still offering a citrus pith and bite. Malts get her chance to cut a rug, she jumps in with her round, smooth and creamy character. The smell lets on that there might be some malts, but the taste is where they really shine through. A skilled mix of graininess, citrus and smooth malts.

M: Starts out with a dry pithy feel and finishes smooth and creamy. Average level of carbonation allows the flavours to take the front stage.

O: The combination and transition from the rice notes, to citrus to smooth creaminess malts is a journey worth taking. The addition of rice is a unique flavour, that for me, is a reminder of Saturday morning cartoons. An expertly balanced drink that offers a unique approach to the style.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

650 ml bottle.

A: gold and opaque, lots of head (but it was a somewhat aggressive pour).
S: melon/citrus/tropical fruit.
T: Delicious. As with the smell, tropical fruit flavours. Pine. Nice amount of bitterness and sweetness.
F: medium/thick.
O: Well, I would definitely buy this again if I could. Maybe next year they'll brew it again?

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - very murky golden orange, tall white head held nicely, left plenty of lacing all around
S - mandarin and tropical citrus notes, a definite dry grainy aroma along with buttery biscuit
T - the rice graininess definitely makes itself known, tropical citrus hops are more subdued than the nose, biscuit and mild greens compliment
M - light and smooth start, slightly dry through the middle, finishes with a nice crispness, not even a clue that this is 9.3%
O - a nice mix of flavours combined with a great balance and drinkability make this a must try

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.14/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On-tap at Volo.

Beer is opaque orange with a small white head.

Nose contains grapefruit and citrus. Some caramel.

Taste is very nice. Juicy, grapefruit and passionfruit flavours are very strong. Quite tropical, with citrus alongside. A bit of pone. Bitter but not insanely so. Some caramel malt.

Full bodied, moderate to high carbonation level. Oily.

Overall, quite tasty. Not sure what the rice does, but I like the beer.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%