King Billy | The Great Yorkshire Brewery

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 03-01-2005

37%

Reviews by blamoe:
1.46/5  rDev -51.3%

This has to be one of the worst beers i've ever tasted. It taste like a beer left under a heater for a couple of days and not a very good beer to start with. I love the name, but this beer is just awful, not very good Cropton. The worst of there otherwise good range of beers.

This is not my usual type of beer, I preffer a darker pint. But having been given one for free at a conference in Blackpool I was pleasantly surprised.

It is a pale light colour and has a fresh, clean smell with a hint of citrus. The taste is very refreshing, especially when it is served cold, however when it is above room temperature it can be bitter. I am not a person who chills beers, most should never see the inside of a fridge, however I felt this was nicer when it was chilled.

It swirls well around the mouth and is very easily slides down. It is a good beer for a long night, but I found it ideal in the hot weather and perfect for BBQs. This is the perfect drink for a hot summers day when most people drink lager (ughhh), a very refreshing and drinkable pint. At 3.6% it is a good strength when you are planning on drinking a large ammount. I know this will not be to everyones taste, but I am not a fan of very light beers, however after drinking the sample I bought a whole case.

3.55/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tasted this bottle-conditioned ale at a beer-tasting event held by the Real Ale Beer Shop in Richmond, 21/02/06. This was the first beer tasted so I was sober enough to write down any thoughts...

It pours a dark golden colour, without noticeable beer head, slightly hazy. The smell shows a mixed and harmonious aroma with flowery scent, citrus fruits, pineapple edge of yeastiness, and some fruit esters--light and refreshing. On the palate it's just as mild--the lightly citrus-fruitiness gradually expands on the tongue on top of very soft pale malts, leaving a slightly soapy finish and a very restrained hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very good--very clean palate with nice kick from micro-scopic fizz. Light-bodied, medium-flavoured, if added with more assertive flavours it could be a very proper session golden ale.

King Billy from The Great Yorkshire Brewery