Hop Lift

Oct 21, 2021
Added:
Mar 03, 2016
SCORE
Good
Hop LiftHop Lift
Notes: You love big, bold hoppy IPA’s. We get it. We love them, too. That’s why we put 600 pounds of hops in every tank of our Hop Lift IPA. Getting that many hops 40 feet up in the air and into our fermenter is no easy task. But we’re up for it. And when you taste this bold, dry-hopped brew bursting with citrus and passion fruit notes, you’ll be glad we did. How we do it, we’ll never tell. Do you need a hop lift today?

Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
3.83/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75
by LesDewitt4beer from Minnesota

Scrappy notes from 2016.
4 pack of 16 ounce cans purchased in ST. Cloud, MN
Pours a basic orange color with a white head, is lightly sweet, toasty malts then the hops take over and are a bit skanky but not intense or dank to me, just up front. Citrusy and a bit bitter with sort of a clean, fast finish. The hops don't really linger. Dry, crunchy and fruity. It's pretty good and priced right as well.

Oct 21, 2021
3.61/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5
by defunksta from North Dakota

Appearance: Pours a clear, medium orange color with a moderate white head. SRM of about 9. Pretty standard. (3.75)

Aroma: Moderate aromas of grapefruit, citrus, and stonefruit mostly. Some mild tropical sweetness underneath. This follows with a rather malty caramel and candied citrus sweetness. Sort of reminds me of a Two-Hearted on the aroma. The aroma falls off the as it sits. (4.00)

Flavor: The flavor has much less. Has some grapefruit, citrus, with an apple and citrus astringency that allows it to finish clean. A moderate bitterness on the backend. The malts are not there that I expected. (3.50)

Feel: A lighter body, low carbonation, and finishes rather clean with a citrus and bitter astringency to clean it off. I think it could use a bit more carbonation. (3.25)

Compared to Breckenridge Brewery's Hop Peak IPA 1/10/21: Pours a similar, but slightly clearer color. Milder aromas/flavors. More stonefruit, less grapefruit citrus.

Overall: A pretty average IPA, but it falls on the flavor somewhat. Leans lighter and clean. The astrigncy of the citrus and the bitterness finish it off nicely. On first glance it had great hop aromas of grapefruit, citrus, stonefruit that reminded me of Two-Hearted. Even had the caramel and candy malts in the aroma. But then on the flavor it fell off and finished more unidimensional and clean. I haven't seen this at Aldi as others have said, but I suppose it could be a fairly decent IPA to pick up if it was cheap enough. For me, I probably won't come back to it unless I find a reason. (Final Rating: 3.61)

Jan 10, 2021
3.02/5  rDev -17.5%
by CDBeerDisappear from Ohio

Look: Golden with an inch of medium bubbled head.
Smell: Smells like the spent malt that Thirsty Dog used to throw out when brewing was finished. Also smells vegetal, this can’t be the aroma profile that they were shooting for.
Taste: Piney bitterness
Feel: Dry mouthfeel
Overall: I did not enjoy this beer. I will not buy it again. I was given 2 cans and I probably will throw the other one away.

Mar 29, 2020

3.73 by Jcarriglio from Florida on Jan 14, 2020
3.82/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4
by UristMcBrewer from Pennsylvania

The beer is a somewhat light amber that with a good foamy head that lingers until giving way to a lace. The smell is nice and hoppy with faint metallic scent (I poured this out of can into a glass). The hop aroma tends focuses mostly on piney but it broad with some earthiness in there. The hops aren't as forward in the taste as the nose would lead you to believe. What is there is nice burst of pine with some citrus. The malt has notes of cracker. The mouthfeel is good. It very full with evolving bubbles. It is a generic IPA except to for mouthfeel, which goes beyond and it enjoyable.

Nov 09, 2019
3.64/5  rDev -0.5%
by RoyalT from Michigan

Appearance – This is an unusually light yellow in color and crystal clear with a big white puffy head.

Smell – This has a dank, raunchy hop nose with good notes or tangerine, melon, apricot, and a light pine. The malts are light, toasty, and mostly sweet.

Mouthfeel – This is very thin in the mouth with moderate carbonation and a finish that feels like it’s about to be bitter but is smoothed out by the sweet malt.

Drinkability – This is a very easy-drinking IPA if a bit off-style.

Sep 06, 2019
4.25/5  rDev +16.1%
by petec9686 from Connecticut

I gave an overall score higher than any individual score, because they don't have a "bang for the buck" category.

Aldi once again comes through in the bargain category.

7 bucks a 4?

This stuff stands up to a number of 15/pk IPAs. I bought this about the same time I tried a 4 pack from a local brewery that I paid 18 for. I can honestly say it was on par with it.

Aug 26, 2019

3.86 by entenduintransit from Tennessee on Aug 22, 2019
4.19/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
by Johnjohn51 from North Carolina

Purchased this IPA from ALDI. $6 and some change for a four pack of pints. Refreshing and Smooth. My thought process was. For the price let’s try it. And was not disappointed. Will try this one again.

Aug 18, 2019
4.07/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
by Thankin_Hank from Texas

Looks like a typical IPA, slightly hazy and carbonated. Not much head. Smells very hoppy and delicious. It is hoppy and taste follows the nose. Fairly smooth and a medium mouthfeel that doesn't bite. No bitter aftertaste. Overall a better than fair American IPA that is sold at the ALDI store so it's very nice for the price. I'll pick this one up again. $6 and change for a 4 pak of 16 ounce cans. Undated.

Aug 04, 2019

3.67 by beerjerk666 from Florida on Jul 21, 2019
4.27/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
by Mcmuffin04 from California

For a beer I found browsing at Aldi, it’s exceeded my expectations. A very drinkable smooth IPA.

Jun 01, 2019

3.75 by trdtercel92 from Ohio on Apr 13, 2019

4.05 by Gjdkf from Missouri on Mar 13, 2019

3.59 by markallmon from Tennessee on Mar 03, 2019
3.77/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
by IndiaPaleViking from Florida

This is a very good IPA for the value. Light in color but the aroma kicks it up a notch. This has some great hop essence! Taste is definitely hop forward but is a tad weak for the category. Very drinkable and smooth. This is one of the few IPAs you can buy at Aldi that are actually good; bonus points for a great price point for a good IPA.

Jan 04, 2019
3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by Storm_Rryder from Iowa

IPA not being my favorite style but they s is not overly bitter. And this being low priced at Aldi, it makes for a quite nice "everyday" choice. I would classify this as a session beer !

Dec 02, 2018

3.81 by coopdog1000 from Florida on Nov 13, 2018

3.34 by lrend13 from Wisconsin on Oct 30, 2018

3.67 by Zanico from Ohio on Oct 08, 2018
3.44/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
by lwillitz from Wisconsin

16-oz can into Belgian ale glass

A - transparent body of gold under two fingers of white; minimal visible carbonation

S - bright citrus and tropical fruit, floral notes

T - citrus, pine, floral, touch of earth

M - medium body, medium/high carbonation

O - middle-of-the-road IPA

Sep 15, 2018

4.3 by T3kn0Jo3 from Michigan on Sep 11, 2018
2.94/5  rDev -19.7%
by MoMaMe from Maryland

Nothing to write home about, but not bad, either.
Saw this at Aldi and thought I’d give it a try since the price was good.

Look: pours a clear light honey/golden color with a moderate head that lingers and sticks to the glass
Smell: not very strong. A few piney notes, but that’s about it
Taste: a light, but refreshing ipa, with some pine and floral notes
Feel: watery

If you are looking for an inexpensive ipa that is a full pint for an ordinary day, than this is a good pick. Not one to go looking for, but not entirely bad, either. It was a decent, light ipa.

Aug 23, 2018

3.98 by ClintGoodman from Iowa on Aug 09, 2018

3.68 by qcghost from North Carolina on Jul 16, 2018

3.85 by miwestcoaster from Michigan on Jul 09, 2018
3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
by CTHomer from Connecticut

A: crystal clear; deep gold in color; 1+ finger ivory head that receded to a thin cap; nice lacing;

S: earthy, then floral, then orange;

T: earthy caramel from start to finish; moderate bitterness at the end;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish;

O: not especially interesting;

Jun 01, 2018

3.62 by Griphon from Florida on May 18, 2018
3.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
by mackthknife from Minnesota

Tried this a few years ago and it didn't leave too much impression. Decided to revisit since it was on sale.
Not as hoppy as it's made out to but good for a lighter IPA. With all the imperials out there, it's nice to have
an easy-going IPA that doesn't slap your tongue like a whip. Good balance between citrus and pine flavors.
Makes me miss their Spotlight IPA from years ago.

Apr 20, 2018
3.81/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by Radarryder from Missouri

Purchased this at Aldi In Kansas City. For the price it is a good , refreshing IPA. Lighter than some American IPA's I have tried, but still fairly good body. Nice piney notes on the nose, and plenty of citrus and malt balance on the palate. A great beer to pair with some grilled salmon or chicken, or possibly some smoked Gouda and crackers. And for the price, you cannot go wrong.

Overall, a very enjoyable experience, and a rather nice, drinkable IPA. I will buy more to keep on hand for those days this summer when I want a lighter IPA.

Apr 17, 2018

3.85 by robebo44 from Virginia on Apr 07, 2018
3.69/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
by Turbo from Minnesota

Light in color, citrus smell, and has a citrus taste with the IPA bitterness. Overall it comes across as a lighter IPA that is very drinkable.

Mar 31, 2018

3.75 by adam36 from Illinois on Mar 30, 2018
3.68/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by schoolboy from Ohio

This is the first time I am using a new mug for which I overpaid. It's also a tankard style (glass), which is not the right thing for an AIPA, but I want to use it since I paid 14.95 for it - a Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas mug - while my tan from two weeks in the sun fades. The mug may be making my experience less than it should be.

It pours yellow, with some fizz and lacing but not much. Totally clear with little action. The is clean and mildly hoppy. Maybe it will improve as it warms.

The taste is middle of the road AIPA hoppy and slightly bitter. The aftertaste is a nice tapering bitter and clean. It's generally pretty easy drinking. At $1.74 per 16 oz. can, it's a reasonably good value. Nothing on the packaging indicated when it was canned, but I did not see them on my last trip to Aldi's three or four weeks ago. Aldi beer usually is not very good. The RCI tankard is a winner - it stands nicely - but I will try this in an IPA glass too.

Recommended, with caution. Hopefully they only have them fresh - these seemed fresh enough.

Mar 14, 2018
3.52/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
by drdiesel9483 from Ohio

Look - very slight haze, copper color and a good white head and lacing
Smell - heavy pine grain scent and some citrus
taste - piney slight citrus like the scent. citrus taste like lemon peel. some caramel roasted malt balance.
feel - medium body and carbonation
Overall - really piney with that slight lemon citrus taste and well balanced with the caramel malts but all and all Im just not a fan of the beer.

Mar 14, 2018
3.08/5  rDev -15.8%
by Jugs_McGhee from Texas

4 pack of 16 fl oz cans ran me $6.99 USD at an Aldi in Austin, TX. This appears to be my first beer from Third Street Brewhouse.

6.2% ABV. "India Pale Ale." "We put 600 pound of hops in every tank of Hop Lift IPA" (note the lack of information on the size of said tank). "Dry-hopped."

APPEARANCE: Clear copper body of average vibrance. Frothy soft off-white head. Head retention is good - ~8-10 minutes.

AROMA: Floral hop aromatics. Passionfruit. Muted citrus. Pale malts. Inviting and fresh, but limited in terms of hop pungency and intensity.

TASTE: Follows the aroma. Decently balanced but not quite dialed in just right. Hop pungency is mild. Hop profile has been done before and better, but it's pleasant enough.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, somewhat refreshing, medium-bodied, overcarbonated.

OVERALL: I wouldn't buy it over widely distributed good expressions of the style like Racer 5, Sculpin, or any of Deschutes' fine IPAs, but I'm glad I got to try it once and I'll enjoy working my way through the 4-pack. Not as boldly hoppy as the label's description wants us to believe, but it's within style conventions even if it isn't as flavourful or pungent as the abovementioned superior IPAs. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to friends, but I do think it's rather good for its price - not that that affects my rating. On that basis, though, I could see myself buying it again.

Vastly better than most budget IPAs out there.

C+ / AVERAGE