Rise To The Top | Third Street Brewhouse

thirdstreetbrewhouse.com

Style: Cream Ale

Added by morimech on 07-06-2012

1.99/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1

2.25/5  rDev -35.9%

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Average cream ale with wheat notes dominating the aftertaste.

2.62/5  rDev -25.4%

This comes from Cold Spring, MN, so it didn't travel far. The color is a pale, clear gold. with very little carbonation. There is almost no smell. The very mild taste is slightly sweet, just tangy enough to make the mouth water but not withdraw, hint of lemon, slightly bitter edge. And it feels creamy. I added a thin slice of lemon partway through. With the lemon I would give it an extra half point, especially on a hot day. It could be crisper/more carbonated.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.87/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.87/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

2.88/5  rDev -17.9%

AROMA: Bread dough, grassy
APPEARANCE: Hazy Pale Yellow Wheat Color

I first became acquainted with the style of cream ales LONG BEFORE I was an experienced beer snob. SCENE: 1979 beach bum w/ bent antenna static box blaring pop AM and a cooler filled with iced ponies of BLATZ LIGHT CREAM ALE. Beach bum? ...me. Now THAT was a tasty beer...course I didn't care much for the domestic American swill passed off as "beer" back in those days...so this beer was like an enlightening premium craft at the time - it beat out Little Kings by a long shot. Unfortunately, it is long gone now. The Cream Ale Style is suppose to be a category that I would basically describe as...lagered ales. Top fermented ales that are cold conditioned/stored. I think it is a category any home/craft brewer could have a fun and creative craft with. That said, "Rise to the Top" by the Third Street Brewhouse should be a basis for a continuation of exploring this style; but not an end result. I only have Blatz Light Cream Ale and Little King's for comparison - and they are very distant memories - and Blatz is STILL winning the memory! Course, I'm not a wheat beer fan either - so I'd give this a try if you are looking for something different. And ANYONE having a copycat recipe for Blatz Light Cream Ale - pop it to me, will ya!

The reason there are so many 3.00 ratings is that I drank from the bottle. I have had so many different craft brews over the last few years I have almost given up trying to find my favorite. I have been driven to drink from the bottle, just like the 3 cases of Cold Spring for $10.00 days. Opps, did I say Cold Spring???? I must admit Cold Spring's resurrection as 3rd Street Brewhouse is quite the deal. They have come a long way since Billy Beer. But Kegal Brau still sticks in my mind.
Rise to the Top is good, no doubt about it. Read the other reviews, I agree with 99% of what they say. Hey, I live within a stones throw of the brewery and am proud that 3rd Street Brewhouse has been able to survive while others have taken the deep 6.

Rise To The Top from Third Street Brewhouse