Sugar Shack | Third Street Brewhouse

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

2.79/5  rDev -22.9%

A new beer from a Minnesota brewery, so I had to try it. Released in the last couple weeks, I believe. Tasted 19 January 2013.

Pours quite dark, nearly black, looking more like an imperial stout than a 6.5% lightweight. One finger of medium-tan head, okay retention, some lacing. Dark brown at the edges, allowing just a bit of light through. Nice color, but light on the head.

Smell is a smooth base stout, which I can't actually tell all that much about, topped with a hunk of wood and a chunk of maple sugar. It's funny, I recently had a small taste of this beer, and found it much more woody. Here I'm getting quite a bit more maple sugar. Not sure if that's variation in my senses, or in the beer. But it certainly feels more maple sugary. I like that dark sweetness, and it's quite a nice complement to the stout.

Taste is thin, woody, and with a bitterness that reminds me of over-steeped tea. The wood blends into nuts, a little like walnut shells, as someone astutely pointed out. Under-sweet, and just weird. I'm not liking this, and I don't know if I'll be finishing the glass. The main issue is that tannic bitterness, which really doesn't work for me. It blends into an over-roasted bitterness, and the combination is a problem.

Mouthfeel is okay. Medium-bodied, slick, medium-low carbonation. A little on the flat side, a little oily. Lasting, though I wish it weren't. Passable.

I'm not digging this beer. The flavor is just odd, and not enjoyable. That, combined with the mouthfeel, makes for a beer that I don't really find myself wanting to drink.

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Out of 16 oz cans this year.

L-Black..minimal head

S-Roasted malts with a fruity (apples) like note that seems out of place.

T-Nice roasted maltiness....maple is evident but subtle....blends nicely....better as it warms.

F-More of a dry stout feel. At best on the light side of medium. Closer to high side of light bodied. If you drink it cold it feels too thin. As it warms it feels about right for a basic stout.

O-Personally I think they had a bigger maple impression a few years back but this is decent enough. I got an eight pack of sixteen ounce cans and I'll happily drink them all but won't go back for more. Nice enough winter beer from a Minnesota brewery whose beers I don't typically seek out.

3.21/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sugar Shack from Third Street Brewhouse