National Premium | National Brewing Company

3.3

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

2.95/5  rDev -10.6%

My beloved, in-person trader, tone77 (who has departed for points south for the winter) dropped this off for me at one point, only to have it become part of the interminable bottle backlog at Chez Woody. I am on a (modest) hiatus from leaving Chez Woody to try and get caught up.

From the Bottle: "Pale Dry Beer"; "National Premium Pale Dry Beer is brewed of finest grains and flavored hand picked imported hops. Brought to you in brown bottles to protect the beer from light and is served best at approximately thirty eight degrees temperature."

A solid pour resulted in just under two fingers of foamy, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity, enticing a visit from the Gelt Gang of Croesus, Mammon & Midas. Nose smelled more malty than I expected, but lacking a hoppiness suggested by the label. Mouthfeel was medium. Taste was clean, malty, seemingly adjunct-free. It was certainly more drinkable than its Bohemian counterpart. Still, the hops were not really present, leaving it kind of one-dimentional. Finish was semi-dry, crisp, clean, but somehow just not making it for me.

3.09/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains, some malts. Taste is crisp, grains, kind of mild, just a slight hint of hops. Feels light in the mouth and overall is kind of lacking in flavor, a mediocre beer.

3.83/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

National Premium has a medium, off-white head and a clean, somewhat bubbly golden appearance, with minimal lacing. The aroma is rich and full- deep, pungent barley malt and piney hops. Taste is of these, but with an unfortunate paper back taste. There is a pleasant hop bitterness in the under taste. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and National Premium finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and highly drinkable. Overall, this is very good.

RJT

2.53/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.21/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured at 43°F (I tried getting it as close to 38° as I could like the bottle said to do) from a 12oz bottle (bottled on 12Nov15) into a Pilsner glass. Consumed on 05May16.
LOOK: A fingers worth of white foam recedes to a quarter fingers worth within 1 minute and 15 seconds. Pale gold in color with a hint of cloudiness. There is a plethora of medium-sized rising bubbles. Lacing is subtle in quantity and thick.
SMELL: Mild aromas of sweet bread and earthy hops are backed by subtle spicy hop aromas and hints of neutral-scented hand soap.
TASTE: Mild sweet bread flavors are, surprisingly, the first and only to caress the palate. Mild earthy hop flavors immediately trail and bring balance to the sweetness. Subtle spicy hop flavors and hints of neutral-scented hand soap lastly enter as sweet bread flavors persist, but earthy hop flavors grow stronger, resulting in a partially imbalanced lager.
FEEL: Full-bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Goes down somewhat smooth. Finishes incredibly crisp. This is something you want to drink on a hot, Texas day A.K.A any Texas day.
NOTE: This was not bad at all. It wasn't good, neither. A huge step up from Bud, Miller, and/or Coors. I would definitely drink this over those other guys. This would have been so much better if the hop profile was toned down to allow a good balance with the malts. Also, I don't know what causes the soap aromas and flavors, but I'm glad they were only present in hints.

3.52/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle. Pours straw yellow with a small white head. Smells of sweet grain, not bad for an adjunct. Tastes of sweet grain, not much else. Beer is light bodied and heavily carbonated. Overall, a slightly above average beer.

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Remembered this beer from college days and it was pretty bad. This version was adequate to try won't be part of the rotation

3.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Saw the display near the back of the beer section of the store. Like mgk302, I was also drawn to the National Brewing Company nostalgia and thought it would be fun to try. My perception of taste was likely raised because I *wanted* it to taste good. Figured, if nothing else, it would be a decent crab or deck BBQ beer. Nice clear gold in the glass with about 1/2 inch of pale yellow foam on top that quickly began to drop. Sparkling carbonation (like a champagne) with a light fruity hops scent in the nose. Initial taste was surprisingly fruity, a bit of sweet citrus hops. Not bad, but not really what I expected. Calling it a pale lager I figured there would be a bit more pine or spice, and a malty body. But this tastes like the brewers are catering to the growing "Blue Moon" segment of beer drinkers. Even so, it was really quite refreshing and, though definitely not something you would drink by itself and celebrate as a "craft" beer, I'd say it's a leg up on all macros and something I'd like to try on tap--especially with food. Not bad. And really fresh, given its "local" production.

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

2.64/5  rDev -20%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Nothing like National Bohemian. This has a much hoppier taste compared to any of the regular adjunct lagers. It feels like it's trying to be something special and fancy, yet instead of being something I'd really enjoy drinking, it just seems kinda bitter and "meh."

3.63/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Okay, so I finally scored National Premium at a beer store in Hagerstown, MD. I wanted desperately to find this stuff on tap, but I guess I'll have to be satisfied with the bottle. Almost immediately, the first thing I notice is that the label is starting to fall off. Okay, that's not good. They should get their act together and fix that. Presentation is important!

All right, here we go. National Premium poured into a standard pint glass:

Appearance: Pours a nice, clean pale golden color into the glass with a very bubbly one-finger width white head that retains its shape pretty well. Minimal lacing.

Aroma: There's definitely a grassy smell with hoppy undertones that I like. So far so good.

Taste: My initial impression is that the crispness is very good, and I like the slight hoppiness on the tongue. Bitterness is definitely present on the back end, but not overly forceful. It has a nice, clean, dry finish. I like that.

Mouthfeel: Slightly too thin for my taste, but I like the crispness of it and the carbonation runs over the tongue well.

Overall: I had been seeking this one out for quite some time, mostly for nostalgia's sake, and I am not disappointed at all. I am not sure what accounts for the poor rating from the Brothers; I actually think this is slightly above average. I would like to try it on tap, but we'll see how long that takes. I would definitely (and will definitely) drink it again.

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

3.27/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a bottle into a six inch national premium glass. Full 2-3 finger head in the glass. Nice bubble action in the glass.

A grassy nose with a bitter hoppy taste. Mouthfeel is crisp and dry, Overall a very different beer than the typcial beer today. Not the typical macro beer, nor the typcial malty craft lager. More suble than that. Bitter taste vs more typical sweet lager.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast