The Litmus Test: Volume III - Chicha Morada
Newburgh Brewing Company

The Litmus Test: Volume III - Chicha MoradaThe Litmus Test: Volume III - Chicha Morada
Beer Geek Stats:

Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: Sour Ale brewed with Peruvian Purple Corn, Cinnamon, and Pineapple // Inspired by the popular Peruvian drink, "Chicha Morada"
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 6 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by woodychandler:
4.16/5  rDev +5.9%

I am finishing up with Newburgh BC for the time being & while I am out of their famous collab beers, I have one that is a bit of an oddball for The CANQuest (tm). It is a Chicha beer, which does not currently exist on here as a style, but it should. You may remember/have heard of Sam Calagione's trip to Peru to try some & then to recreate it in Delaware. No? Well, it is made with maize (real, non-GMO corn) that is chewed (!) by the brewers & spat into jars (!!) where the saliva causes the corn sugars to begin to ferment (!!!). You CAN't get more traditional than that.

From the CAN: "The Litmus Test Sour Ale Series"; "3 Pc Purple Corn"; "The Litmus Test: fruity[,] tart[,] refreshing[,] spices[,] pineapple[,] citrus"; "Volume 3[:] Pineapple Purple Corn Cinnamon Chicha Morada"; "Sour Ale Series"; "Brewed with Heart".

My apologies on several fronts. My pic does not adequately portray the CAN's label & I am working to have it removed & replaced. It is NOT a Berliner Weisse - it is Chicha & the closest thing that we currently have is "American Wild Ale". Finally, the name is too brief. I have submitted a ChANge Request to address all of this, but I apologize for my laziness in not having done so sooner. 8=(

I beCAN by Crack!ing open the vent with a great sense of trepidation. I had no idea what the CANtents were going to be like so I employed the slowest, gentlest C-Line Glug that I could muster into the awaiting glass. It foamed up to form just under two fingers of foamy, soapy, fizzy, Rose Pink (!) head with limited retention. Color was Mulberry (#C64B8C)/Hibiscus (#B43757) (SRM = N/A) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a vinegar-like sharpness, but it was not off-putting. Neither was it a Berliner Weisse, though. Mouthfeel was surprisingly medium-to-fill, not quite creamy, but big for a Wild Ale! 8=O The taste was certainly unique, definitely sour as opposed to tart as I felt in in the hinges of my jaw & in my ears. It kind of put me in mind of a weak Flanders Red, but even that is imprecise. Finish was dry and sour, almost vinous, but even that is imprecise. Boy, this one was tough to pin down. YMMV.

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Draft sample at The Extreme Beer Fest Boston February first twenty twenty.

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sour ale with purple maize, cinnamon, and pineapple.

The maize gives it an incredibe dark beet hue. The head is spritzy and a light pink like cotton candy.
I came into this skeptical; I really don't like cinnamon in my beers unless it's a stout. However, the cinnamon here was purposefully added--enhancing the pineapple sweetness and earth from the corn--and far from dominating. The aroma is an enticing blend of sweet pineapple and corn in an almost perfect ratio. Light body with a crisp carb, and soft feel.

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%