Biggie Smalls | Brash Brewing Company

2.5/5  rDev -39%

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

A- Almost black body. Poured a nice, creamy 1 finger head. Good trailing and lacing.

S- Huge booze, chocolate, dark fruit, and some licorice.

T- Booze is ridiculous in this beer. Once you get past the huge rum bite up front, chocolate, dark fruits and licorice mix in quite well.

M- Medium-full body. Medium carbonation.

O- I thought this was ok. My friends who like liquors better than craft beer absolutely loved it. I drank a pint and called it quits. I did appreciate the flavor profile and complexity, but my least favorite feature in beer is boozy burn. And this stuff was hot.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Dark, cream colored, 1 finger head. Pours a deathly black that light fails to permeate. Lacing throughout.

S: I can smell dark fruit and licorice and I havent even brought it close to my nose. Fantastic scent wafts towards me. On closer inspection, there is a strong scent of coffee, licorice, dark fruits, maybe some alcohol scent.

T: Umm... Oh hello alcohol. Tastes like a rum runner mixed with coffee. After the alcohol gets out of the way.... you can find chocolate, coffee, toffee, and dark fruits. This is not for the faint of heart, nor is it a good beer to give someone new to the style.

M: Full body. Carbonation is low... which really allows the layers of taste to settle into a nice even carpet on the mouth.

O: Complex yet brash (pardon the pun) in a "hits you in the face and then puts you to sleep sort of way." I would make note that this will stain if dropped. One drop of this beer will make fabric five pounds heavier because it is so strong and thick. I rarely give "must try" ratings... and this one is on the cusp. If I drank two of these... it would be in for sure.

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottle shared with Sammy and Liam.

Beer is very dark brown with a smallish tan head.

Nose is strong, but full of booze. Lots of it. Whisky.

Taste contains booze, lots of whisky. Also oak. Vanilla is there as well. Quite sweet.

Medium bodied, moderately carbonated.

Overall. quite sweet. Not bad, but the barrel effect is overwhelming. I would prefer if the barrel was toned down somewhat.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 9/13/2013. Pours fairly opaque dark brown color with a 1-2 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a light amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, brown bread, molasses, cocoa, vanilla, clove, oak, raisin, plum, whiskey, rum, herbal, and toast/oak earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/bready malt, yeast ester, and rum/whiskey barrel notes; with good strength. Taste of big caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, molasses, brown bread, cocoa, vanilla, clove, oak, whiskey, rum, raisin, plum, herbal, and toast/oak earthiness. Fair amount of spicy/oaky bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, molasses, brown bread, cocoa, vanilla, clove, oak, rum, whiskey, raisin, plum, herbal, and toast/oak earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice balance, complexity, and robustness of dark/bready malt, fruity yeast ester, and rum/whiskey barrel flavors; with a very nice malt/barrel balance and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and very full bodied; with a very creamy, slick, and fairly sticky/oaky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is fairly well hidden with only a small warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice barrel aged imperial brown ale. All around good complexity and balance of dark/bready malt, fruity yeast ester, and rum/whiskey barrel flavors; and quite smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

3.99/5  rDev -2.7%

So my first encounter with Brash was not pleasing to me, but I'm a Forgiver. So I've Forgiven, & here we are with another Brash offering, a 22 oz. bottle split with my wife. Yeah, I'm a sucker for the barrel. I hope I don't regret it.

The pour is all brown ale, if it was black...OK, a tiny bit of brownish red lurks around the edges. Small quotient of carbonation. The nose is quite a hit up in my head, pretty sure I can pick out both barrels in alternating whiffs along with chocolate & a dollop of maple syrup. Yum.

Biggie Smalls tests my belief that I've never met a beer that was too hot. Hot Hot Heat alcohol makes for a boozy introduction & sets up camp on the very back of the tongue in a lingering, warm, shot-like manner. If I didn't know, I'd wonder if whiskey barrels were in here, as I'm mostly getting a sweet shower of rum. My stomach warms after three sips. Mid-palate is spicy, (the rum, I presume), a little chocolate, sweetness accentuated by the rum, vanilla (which might be the whiskey contribution). So easy to drink. For a bouncer-beer, this goes down like a lightweight.

Brash, I'm glad I came back for another round. This is a fine example of (a) barrel-aging, (b) how barrel-aging can pretty much obliterate a base beer, (c) personal redemption, & (d) what the fuck am I talking about? Success. This is a very good beer that could easily be excellent with a bit of contribution from the 'brown ale' underneath.

Biggie Smalls from Brash Brewing Company