Biggie Smalls | Brash Brewing Company

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by hoggarth on 10-16-2013

4.1

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 9/13/2013. Pours fairly opaque dark brown color with a 1-2 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a light amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, brown bread, molasses, cocoa, vanilla, clove, oak, raisin, plum, whiskey, rum, herbal, and toast/oak earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/bready malt, yeast ester, and rum/whiskey barrel notes; with good strength. Taste of big caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, molasses, brown bread, cocoa, vanilla, clove, oak, whiskey, rum, raisin, plum, herbal, and toast/oak earthiness. Fair amount of spicy/oaky bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, molasses, brown bread, cocoa, vanilla, clove, oak, rum, whiskey, raisin, plum, herbal, and toast/oak earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice balance, complexity, and robustness of dark/bready malt, fruity yeast ester, and rum/whiskey barrel flavors; with a very nice malt/barrel balance and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and very full bodied; with a very creamy, slick, and fairly sticky/oaky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is fairly well hidden with only a small warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice barrel aged imperial brown ale. All around good complexity and balance of dark/bready malt, fruity yeast ester, and rum/whiskey barrel flavors; and quite smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%

22 ounce bottle - $12.98 at Sherlock's in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Bottled on: 09/13/13.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, near black body with a lightly creamyish, beige head that never grows tall but never quite disappears.

Smell: Sweet, spicy, boozy aroma of dark malts, spiced chocolate, molasses, dark caramel, dark fruit, and the oakiness and notes from the dual barrel aging.

Taste: Follows through with the aroma. Heavy, dense, dark malty flavors of molasses, chocolate ganache, brown sugar, caramel-dipped nuts. United whiskey, rum flavoring, with a full sweetness and even at this early stage some full-on gullet warming. Spiced raisins. Modest oakiness. Peppery alcoholic quality tickles the tongue, steadily building to a rather warm, malty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: This was good. Some Imperial Browns are like popping in a watching the movie "Gerry." Not the case with Biggie Smalls!

3.99/5  rDev -2.7%

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

4.06/5  rDev -1%

22 ounce bottle, bottled on 09/13/13. Served in a DFH snifter, the beer pours dark brown with about an inch tan head that stuck around a little while. There's a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is sweet and boozy, the brew smells like rum, vanilla, whiskey, dark fruit (raisin, plum), molasses, and some dark breadiness. For the most part the taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also some toffee, licorice and a woody/earthy bitterness noticeable. Nice balance between the sweet and bitter earthy flavors. For it being an almost 2 year old bottle, it's a little boozier than I expected it to be. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's a bit creamy and slick with moderate carbonation. I liked this brew, it's tasty and ages well (at least this bottle did). Kinda pricey at $15.49 a bomber, but I'm still glad I tried this one.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

So my first encounter with Brash was not pleasing to me, but I'm a Forgiver. So I've Forgiven, & here we are with another Brash offering, a 22 oz. bottle split with my wife. Yeah, I'm a sucker for the barrel. I hope I don't regret it.

The pour is all brown ale, if it was black...OK, a tiny bit of brownish red lurks around the edges. Small quotient of carbonation. The nose is quite a hit up in my head, pretty sure I can pick out both barrels in alternating whiffs along with chocolate & a dollop of maple syrup. Yum.

Biggie Smalls tests my belief that I've never met a beer that was too hot. Hot Hot Heat alcohol makes for a boozy introduction & sets up camp on the very back of the tongue in a lingering, warm, shot-like manner. If I didn't know, I'd wonder if whiskey barrels were in here, as I'm mostly getting a sweet shower of rum. My stomach warms after three sips. Mid-palate is spicy, (the rum, I presume), a little chocolate, sweetness accentuated by the rum, vanilla (which might be the whiskey contribution). So easy to drink. For a bouncer-beer, this goes down like a lightweight.

Brash, I'm glad I came back for another round. This is a fine example of (a) barrel-aging, (b) how barrel-aging can pretty much obliterate a base beer, (c) personal redemption, & (d) what the fuck am I talking about? Success. This is a very good beer that could easily be excellent with a bit of contribution from the 'brown ale' underneath.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottle shared with Sammy and Liam.

Beer is very dark brown with a smallish tan head.

Nose is strong, but full of booze. Lots of it. Whisky.

Taste contains booze, lots of whisky. Also oak. Vanilla is there as well. Quite sweet.

Medium bodied, moderately carbonated.

Overall. quite sweet. Not bad, but the barrel effect is overwhelming. I would prefer if the barrel was toned down somewhat.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

No bottling date but this was just released a week or two ago.

A: Pours a very, very dark brown with red highlights. Tall, frothy medium brown head. Head fades out fairly quickly. Sparse but decent thick chunks of lacing. Good head retention.

S: Huh, interesting. Smells like a barrel aged stout. Lots of caramel and burnt sugars. Not really getting much rum, maybe the bourbon is overpowering it. Decent dark fruits floating around in there. I swear I even get some cocoa - isn't this a brown ale and not a stout? I'm not complaining, it's a wonderful, wonderful aroma. Just not what I was expecting.

T: Now we're talking. Very barrel heavy up front. Loaded with bourbon but also with rum. In fact, now I think there's more rum than bourbon. Very sweet. Again with the burnt sugars and caramel but with a strong fruitiness now from what I assume to be the rum barrels. Some charred oak and bittersweet cocoa. I don't really get any brown ale characteristic out of this. There is some toasted malt but it seems more roasty like a stout than anything. Super barrel heavy throughout. Aftertaste is more drying oak, cocoa and hints of dried dark fruits. Long lingering booziness in the aftertaste. Once it warms fully I do get a little bit of nuttiness hanging around between sips.

M: Heavy and boozy, which works nicely together.

O: I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Super barrel heavy, with a great balance between rum and bourbon. However, the base beer feels lost. Honestly I never would have expected this to be a big barrel aged brown ale, I would have assumed it was a barrel-heavy stout. Some cocoa, some char, no nuttiness and maybe just a hint of toasted malt. It might be more apparent with some age and if the barrel character fades a bit. This is definitely big and boozy with a huge strength of barrels - check it out if that's your thing.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%