Biggie Smalls | Brash Brewing Company

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by hoggarth on 10-16-2013

2.5/5  rDev -40%

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Like a few reviewers have stated, I too have yet to find a barrel-aged beer that I don't like and this one is no exception. Dark, hot, chocolatey, spicy, vanilla-ee (?) and everything good that you would expect here. A little bitter but sweet too and good-n-warm from the alcohol. Great for a crappy, cold, wet day. A fantastic example of the breed from a brewery that seldom gets it wrong.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%

22 ounce bottle - $12.98 at Sherlock's in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Bottled on: 09/13/13.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, near black body with a lightly creamyish, beige head that never grows tall but never quite disappears.

Smell: Sweet, spicy, boozy aroma of dark malts, spiced chocolate, molasses, dark caramel, dark fruit, and the oakiness and notes from the dual barrel aging.

Taste: Follows through with the aroma. Heavy, dense, dark malty flavors of molasses, chocolate ganache, brown sugar, caramel-dipped nuts. United whiskey, rum flavoring, with a full sweetness and even at this early stage some full-on gullet warming. Spiced raisins. Modest oakiness. Peppery alcoholic quality tickles the tongue, steadily building to a rather warm, malty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: This was good. Some Imperial Browns are like popping in a watching the movie "Gerry." Not the case with Biggie Smalls!

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is a good example of a barrel aged beer (haven't had one yet that wasn't) The rum does come out quite nice in this one, it is more complex than your normal bourbon barrel beer, probably from the combo of whiskey and rum. still "boozy" and quite a bit of heat, a little sweeter but not offensive at all. wish the base brown ale came out a little more, probably would with age as the rum tones down. almost taste like a stout with the complexity but that don't bother me a bit! yum!

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

So my first encounter with Brash was not pleasing to me, but I'm a Forgiver. So I've Forgiven, & here we are with another Brash offering, a 22 oz. bottle split with my wife. Yeah, I'm a sucker for the barrel. I hope I don't regret it.

The pour is all brown ale, if it was black...OK, a tiny bit of brownish red lurks around the edges. Small quotient of carbonation. The nose is quite a hit up in my head, pretty sure I can pick out both barrels in alternating whiffs along with chocolate & a dollop of maple syrup. Yum.

Biggie Smalls tests my belief that I've never met a beer that was too hot. Hot Hot Heat alcohol makes for a boozy introduction & sets up camp on the very back of the tongue in a lingering, warm, shot-like manner. If I didn't know, I'd wonder if whiskey barrels were in here, as I'm mostly getting a sweet shower of rum. My stomach warms after three sips. Mid-palate is spicy, (the rum, I presume), a little chocolate, sweetness accentuated by the rum, vanilla (which might be the whiskey contribution). So easy to drink. For a bouncer-beer, this goes down like a lightweight.

Brash, I'm glad I came back for another round. This is a fine example of (a) barrel-aging, (b) how barrel-aging can pretty much obliterate a base beer, (c) personal redemption, & (d) what the fuck am I talking about? Success. This is a very good beer that could easily be excellent with a bit of contribution from the 'brown ale' underneath.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Pours a dark cola with a little light shining through. Has a very effervescent one finger head that dissipates quickly. Not much lacing or retention.

S - Crazy... The rum barrel sweetness and whiskey barrel edge don't compete for attention, but really complement each other. Besides the obvious, I'm getting brown sugar, semi-sweet chocolate and vanilla.

T - The whiskey comes on in the front and follows through towards the end. In the middle, a good dose of the rum barrel comes in with a touch of vanilla and chocolate.

M - Full bodied, low carbonation and a smooth/velvety delivery.

O - Impressive... Brash comes through again with another stellar concoction of awesomeness.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: very dark brown, nearly opaque. Fairly thin mocha head.
Smell: wood is very prominent just out of the fridge. Some malty richness in the background.
Taste: flavor is quite different from the nose. Very complex and rich. Typical brown ale with rum and whiskey notes, wood and a little bitterness in the finish. Very interesting.
Overall: very nice brew. Kudos to Brash.

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 12.99. Bottled 9/13/13. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours near black brown with a finger and a half dark tan head. Nice retention and a fair bit of lace.

Inviting aromas of sweet rum, cocoa, vanilla and brown sugar.

Sweet blend of flavors. Chocolate, whiskey, molasses, burnt caramel, vanilla, brown sugar, oak, rum and alcohol. Interesting interplay between the rum and whiskey barrel notes dancing above the chocolate and molasses. Good stuff.

Medium heavy, creamy body with light carbonation. Long sweet whisky chocolate boozy finish.

My favorite dark beer from Brash. I've enjoyed Pimp, Texas Exile and Smoglifter but this far surpasses them in richness and complexity. Well done.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a deep brown with one finger of dark tan head that fades to a splotchy lacing, with a thin line of head sticking around.

Smell: Tons of barrel character and sweetness, bourbon, brown sugar, chocolate and also some spiced rum for sure. No hoppiness comes through though, this is straight barrel and sweetness, I get a touch of honey as well.

Taste: Wow, nice bourbon flavor up front with touches of chocolate and smoke. I get some brown ale qualities too, with a small dose of earth but this is overpowered by barrel qualities. A bit of spiciness from the rum barrel comes through to me in the back end.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with definite hints of alcohol, mostly bourbon but also the rum. More like an imperial stout than a brown ale, a definite sipper.

Overall: A really solid beer that I will need to get more of to age. Absolutely worth seeking out.

Biggie Smalls from Brash Brewing Company