Apricot Wheat | Otto's Pub and Brewery

Liked:
3.57/5
Alströms:

3.86/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Otto's Pub and Brewery "Apricot Wheat"
22 fl. oz. brown glass bottle without freshness dating
$2.61 @ Pletcher's Beer Distributor, State College, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: I had this on tap at Otto's but I'd just eaten and I didn't think I could review it properly so I've got a bottle here and let's see how it goes. It's poured a clear golden body beneath a finger-thick head of bright white that seems to be settling slowly. The aroma is interesting, it reminds me a little of wax like those candies you had as a kid that had almost flavorless sugary syrups inside, and a little of tomato sauce that's both sweet and acidic, but it's also fruity. Apricot, yes I get that, but I doubt I would if I didn't know that's what it was, and there's some definite grainy malt in there as well. Let me try again... ahhh, maybe more so with the apricot, with the swirl of the glass I get more and it is like apricot "Fruit Roll Ups" but better, and I guess a little like the real thing as well. Also, did I make a pizza analogy, no I didn't, but that tomato thing has to be at least partially about sweetish bready malt that would normally be coming off of the crust. But OK... The flavor follows but it's more fruity sweet and just a finger-touch tart, but also stiffly bitter, and it finishes dry and lightly acidic with lots of apricot flavor lingering. Ahh boy, I'm an idiot and DUH, it's only now that I really get the wheat component of the maltiness. It's been there all along though, supporting the fruitiness, and I'll say it's remarkably well balanced. I know the apricot is just flavoring but even then when you're brewing it you still have to get it tuned in. Medium leaning medium-light in body. Moderately bitter but still mainly dry in the finish. Interesting, refreshing, and drinkable to at least two servings.

2.5/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.21/5  rDev -10.1%

Very standard, middle of the road beer...can't say there is much apricot - perhaps just a generic fruitiness - but though bland there isn't anything offensive or bad about it

4.4/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2.41/5  rDev -32.5%

had another apricot beer which was much better this one lacks everything the other has don't life the taste of this one

4.04/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.12/5  rDev -12.6%

3.59/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -2%

4.25/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

on tap

two finger head, dark orange.

nose is apricot for sure and the taste surely is too. Not picking up much of the wheat. medium body with low to medium carb. was expecting something a little cleaner and lighter but the apricot flavors linger a bit too long and its body doesn't fit the ABV.

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Had bottle at The Tavern for our anniversary. Nice buttery feel to this one. Subtle apricot flavor!

3.5/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.28/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Meh. I'm picky if I have a fruit beer. It has to taste like beer also

3.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Mild apricots that is almost artificial but not quite. Some wheat as well. A very basic beer but at the same time nothing bad about it.

3.56/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This was my first experience with this beer. I have had Samuel Smith Organic Apricot beer, and liked it so I thought I would try this one. The beer is good, but it is very sour to the palette.

3.19/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Apricot Wheat from Otto's Pub and Brewery