Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Rook | Rogness Brewing Company

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +19.2%

On tap at Nobi Public House.

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. A two finger tan head forms and gently recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Light lace is left behind.
S: Up front is big smoke aromas. Not full on peat, but more smoked malt. Toasted malt, chocolate, wood, lightly sweet in the nose as well. Very nice.
T: Follows the nose with plenty of smoke flavor. Almost meaty smoked malt. Toasted and slightly sweet caramel malts. Chocolate, wood. I like it.
M/D: A medium to full body. Moderate carbonation, smooth. The heavy smoked malt character makes this a slower sipper than normal for me. Though still very enjoyable.

This is a good Scotch Ale. I am very happy to have found this, and very pleased that this is not just sweet malts that many American brewery versions are. There is plenty of depth here. Very nice.

3.98/5  rDev +14%

American Kriek

3.82/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured at 46°F from a 22oz bottle (no date) into a Thistle. Consumed on 08Feb16.
LOOK: Pours with 2 fingers worth of khaki foam that dissipates into a quarter fingers worth after 3 minutes. A moderate amount of very thick lacing is left behind from the dissipation. Dark copper in color with a slight cloudiness. Rising bubbles are medium in size and subtle in quantity. Lacing is thick and high in quantity.
SMELL: Mild aromas of sweet peaches, caramel, and toffee are backed by subtle black tea and sweet bread aromas. This smells nice, but is too mild to be considered great.
TASTE: Mild sweet peach and caramel flavors first enter onto the palate and are immediately followed by mild black tea flavors. The black tea flavors bring a nice bittering balance to the sweetness. Mild sweet bread and toffee flavors along with a hint of medicinal bitterness and smoked goodness enter lastly as all previous flavors persist, except for sweet peach, which grow stronger.
FEEL: Full-bodied and moderately carbonated. Goes down smooth and somewhat creamy. Finishes with a mild dryness. A slight alcoholic warmth can be felt as it goes down the throat.
NOTE: I was honestly terrified of trying this beer based on the reviews of others, but I found this to be quite pleasant. Not the best of its style the I have had, though. Too mild for me, it reminded me of a Scottish Ale. I can see what other what were talking about regarding the medicinal taste, but I only perceived hints.

3.81/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - Pours dark brown and cloudy with an off white light tan 1 finger head.

S - Lots of smoke up front. Sweet toasted malts behind the smokiness.

T - Definitely taste the smokiness but not as strong as I expected. Small amount of caramel toffee malts.

M - Low to medium carbonation. Slightly thick but not heavy.

O - This is a very good beer. My first from Rogness. It is a little more smokey than others of the Scotch Ale style that I have had. I would definitely drink this again but probably won't seek it out.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Color on this reminds me of an antique leather - in a good way. Rich brown with some golden notes in the light. Poured with about a fingers worth of head that dissipated down to a minimal ring very quickly, with no lacing to speak of.

Nose is very heavy on the sweet malt with a little bit of underlying peatiness. The deeper I inhaled the more the peat came to dominate. If you're a fan of certain Scotch Whisky (as I am) then the smoky peat can be very pleasant, but it could be off-putting to people unfamiliar with the flavor as it does smell a little boggy.

Palette follows the nose on this one, with the sweet caramel malt really dominating. Very little bitterness here and no detectable hop notes at all. The peat flavor underlies it all and, as with the nose, your mileage may vary on how much you enjoy that.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and has very little carbonation.

The wee heavy is not a style I'm super familiar with, so hard for me to say how well this rates for type. My overall impression is that this one is enjoyable but a little one note. I don't normally say this, but I think this would have benefitted greatly from a higher ABV. A little warming booziness to it and I could see myself having this as a go-to beer when (if) the weather cools off.

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%