Rook | Rogness Brewing Company

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.27/5  rDev -6.3%

$ 2.15 (Including tax!)/bomber ($ 0.098/oz) at Spec’s, Schertz, TX
Undated bottle at 42 degrees into a hand washed and dried JK snifter
Aroma – malt
Head – enormous (> 10 cm, rolled over the top of the glass before I could quit pouring), tan, frothy/creamy, diminishing to an irregular one to two cm ring and a creamy layer
Lacing - none
Body – deep amber, clear
Flavor – basically malt, slightly sweet. No unusual or outstanding flavors. No hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate – medium, creamy, lively carbonation bordering on fizzy

Basically a scotch ale, a little on the over carbonated side. Unremarkable but very cheap.

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 4, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 3

3.82/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured at 46°F from a 22oz bottle (no date) into a Thistle. Consumed on 08Feb16.
LOOK: Pours with 2 fingers worth of khaki foam that dissipates into a quarter fingers worth after 3 minutes. A moderate amount of very thick lacing is left behind from the dissipation. Dark copper in color with a slight cloudiness. Rising bubbles are medium in size and subtle in quantity. Lacing is thick and high in quantity.
SMELL: Mild aromas of sweet peaches, caramel, and toffee are backed by subtle black tea and sweet bread aromas. This smells nice, but is too mild to be considered great.
TASTE: Mild sweet peach and caramel flavors first enter onto the palate and are immediately followed by mild black tea flavors. The black tea flavors bring a nice bittering balance to the sweetness. Mild sweet bread and toffee flavors along with a hint of medicinal bitterness and smoked goodness enter lastly as all previous flavors persist, except for sweet peach, which grow stronger.
FEEL: Full-bodied and moderately carbonated. Goes down smooth and somewhat creamy. Finishes with a mild dryness. A slight alcoholic warmth can be felt as it goes down the throat.
NOTE: I was honestly terrified of trying this beer based on the reviews of others, but I found this to be quite pleasant. Not the best of its style the I have had, though. Too mild for me, it reminded me of a Scottish Ale. I can see what other what were talking about regarding the medicinal taste, but I only perceived hints.

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

3.98/5  rDev +14%

American Kriek

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

A - fine bead low beige head atop a clear ruddy Wooster sauce colored body 3.5

S - soy sauce and pork rinds. 3

T - oaky with a bit of horse blanket. 2.5

M - a touch too watery mildly astringent. 2.5

D - easy enough to drink but lackluster taste and smell 2.5

NO, NO, NO, NO

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Served from a 22oz bottle into 2 standard pints.

My first impression was "insanely carbonated" as it foamed an airy, high head immediately into the first glass.

My first sensation was the smoke but my wife went straight to band-aid so we may have gotten a poor batch.

After it set for a few minutes, the light "sting" on the tongue was still there but the overall flavor improved. It has a malty, sweet taste that to me felt similar to a Brown. So if Tadcastle ever burns down, this is what might come of it.

Overall we didn't like it much, but as I said, it's possible we got a bad one as no one else seems to have mentioned the foam.

1.71/5  rDev -51%

While I love a peaty whisky, something about this gives it a medicinal flavor. No, that's not quite right, it's more of a clinical flavor. It tastes like a doctor's exam room smells, like some combination of disinfectant and Band-Aids. It also gives the tongue a bit of a tingle. I expect this from a good Scotch, but not from an ale. I suspect I'd have a numb tongue after a few, but I doubt I'll have another any time soon.

3.64/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Color on this reminds me of an antique leather - in a good way. Rich brown with some golden notes in the light. Poured with about a fingers worth of head that dissipated down to a minimal ring very quickly, with no lacing to speak of.

Nose is very heavy on the sweet malt with a little bit of underlying peatiness. The deeper I inhaled the more the peat came to dominate. If you're a fan of certain Scotch Whisky (as I am) then the smoky peat can be very pleasant, but it could be off-putting to people unfamiliar with the flavor as it does smell a little boggy.

Palette follows the nose on this one, with the sweet caramel malt really dominating. Very little bitterness here and no detectable hop notes at all. The peat flavor underlies it all and, as with the nose, your mileage may vary on how much you enjoy that.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and has very little carbonation.

The wee heavy is not a style I'm super familiar with, so hard for me to say how well this rates for type. My overall impression is that this one is enjoyable but a little one note. I don't normally say this, but I think this would have benefitted greatly from a higher ABV. A little warming booziness to it and I could see myself having this as a go-to beer when (if) the weather cools off.

1.79/5  rDev -48.7%

By far the worst beer made

My friends bar had this beer in the wall for over a month could not get rid of it lowered the price to .50

Look:
Dark brown good head

Smell: peaty and smokey. Hint of a mortuary smell

Taste: burnt rubber, band aids.

Feel: get it out of my mouth I don't care about the feel.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast