Rook | Rogness Brewing Company

Added by videofrog on 08-13-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

NO, NO, NO, NO

1.71/5  rDev -51.3%

While I love a peaty whisky, something about this gives it a medicinal flavor. No, that's not quite right, it's more of a clinical flavor. It tastes like a doctor's exam room smells, like some combination of disinfectant and Band-Aids. It also gives the tongue a bit of a tingle. I expect this from a good Scotch, but not from an ale. I suspect I'd have a numb tongue after a few, but I doubt I'll have another any time soon.

1.79/5  rDev -49%

By far the worst beer made

My friends bar had this beer in the wall for over a month could not get rid of it lowered the price to .50

Look:
Dark brown good head

Smell: peaty and smokey. Hint of a mortuary smell

Taste: burnt rubber, band aids.

Feel: get it out of my mouth I don't care about the feel.

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

A - fine bead low beige head atop a clear ruddy Wooster sauce colored body 3.5

S - soy sauce and pork rinds. 3

T - oaky with a bit of horse blanket. 2.5

M - a touch too watery mildly astringent. 2.5

D - easy enough to drink but lackluster taste and smell 2.5

2.85/5  rDev -18.8%

3.08/5  rDev -12.3%

Served from a 22oz bottle into 2 standard pints.

My first impression was "insanely carbonated" as it foamed an airy, high head immediately into the first glass.

My first sensation was the smoke but my wife went straight to band-aid so we may have gotten a poor batch.

After it set for a few minutes, the light "sting" on the tongue was still there but the overall flavor improved. It has a malty, sweet taste that to me felt similar to a Brown. So if Tadcastle ever burns down, this is what might come of it.

Overall we didn't like it much, but as I said, it's possible we got a bad one as no one else seems to have mentioned the foam.

3.27/5  rDev -6.8%

$ 2.15 (Including tax!)/bomber ($ 0.098/oz) at Spec’s, Schertz, TX
Undated bottle at 42 degrees into a hand washed and dried JK snifter
Aroma – malt
Head – enormous (> 10 cm, rolled over the top of the glass before I could quit pouring), tan, frothy/creamy, diminishing to an irregular one to two cm ring and a creamy layer
Lacing - none
Body – deep amber, clear
Flavor – basically malt, slightly sweet. No unusual or outstanding flavors. No hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate – medium, creamy, lively carbonation bordering on fizzy

Basically a scotch ale, a little on the over carbonated side. Unremarkable but very cheap.

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 4, Flavor 3, Palate 3, Overall 3

3.37/5  rDev -4%

Served on-tap at the Flying Saucer in Austin.

A: Dark brown, nearly opaque with garnet hues on the edges. Off-white head.

S: Peat smoke, alochol, sweet malts.

T: Peat smoke really strong, alcohol there, toffee, earthy hops, more than usual for the style, but still in the background.

M: Nice and thick, but not as much as I'd like. Carb is low as it should be, dry finish.

O: I liked this offering from Rogness, but won't likely be seeking it out again. I found the peat smoke to be overpowering, but at least it was there. Iron Thistle is easier drinking, but little to no smoke. Rook has more flavor, but I'm still searching for that great Texas Wee Heavy.

3.64/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Color on this reminds me of an antique leather - in a good way. Rich brown with some golden notes in the light. Poured with about a fingers worth of head that dissipated down to a minimal ring very quickly, with no lacing to speak of.

Nose is very heavy on the sweet malt with a little bit of underlying peatiness. The deeper I inhaled the more the peat came to dominate. If you're a fan of certain Scotch Whisky (as I am) then the smoky peat can be very pleasant, but it could be off-putting to people unfamiliar with the flavor as it does smell a little boggy.

Palette follows the nose on this one, with the sweet caramel malt really dominating. Very little bitterness here and no detectable hop notes at all. The peat flavor underlies it all and, as with the nose, your mileage may vary on how much you enjoy that.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and has very little carbonation.

The wee heavy is not a style I'm super familiar with, so hard for me to say how well this rates for type. My overall impression is that this one is enjoyable but a little one note. I don't normally say this, but I think this would have benefitted greatly from a higher ABV. A little warming booziness to it and I could see myself having this as a go-to beer when (if) the weather cools off.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast