Midnight Ale | Wicked Beaver Brewing Company

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last

2.25/5  rDev -6.3%

2.75/5  rDev +14.6%

1.38/5  rDev -42.5%

Had this beer on tap at a local pub. I really, really wanted this beer to be good, as it's brewed locally.

Beer looks fine out of the tap. It's dark brown and amber, and had a decent Blumen (head). I picked up notes of chocolate and hops, which I thought strange being that I was expected the beer to be more along the lines of a smooth, malty stout. No matter, took a big swig.

Ouch. This beer is confused. It's almost like someone took an American Guiness and mixed it with a midrange IPA, then poured a little soap in the mix for good measure. The beer felt thin and watery, not at all what I expected from a beer of this color and (supposed) 8% ABV.

It was not tasty, and I asked if the keg had turned. I was with a friend who had the same reaction, so we had the bartender dump the beer and pour a FIreman 4 instead.

I also tried this beer at a public sampling before it was released, with similar results. I thought maybe at the time that they were still working out the kinks. I'm sorry, but I can't imagine that the brewmasters actually drink beer, and, more specifically, drink THIS beer.

3.5/5  rDev +45.8%

2.5/5  rDev +4.2%

1.54/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, unknown bottled date. This pours a nice pitch black color with a nice tan head. The smells are of roasted malts, choco, alcohol, metallic, soap. The feel is medium. The taste is missing something, weird off after taste (soapy metallic likely an infection). The aftertaste makes this undrinkable. This was one of my few drain pours.

2.24/5  rDev -6.7%

The beer pours a dark brown color with a large tan head. The aroma is not very good. I get some roasted malt and pine notes - as expected - but there is also something else that smells a bit off. The flavor, unfortunately, follows suit, but too a much more severe level. I get a very watery acidic character with some slightly roasted malt and chocolate. There is also some pine. High carbonation and thin mouthfeel. This brewery is new and hopefully they improve because this was not a good beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last