Red Oak Amber

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Red Oak AmberRed Oak Amber
Notes: From the brewery: Red Oak Amber is a Munich Urtyp (Old Style) Lager. We begin the brewing process with custom kilned imported Munich Malt. Red Oak is then hopped with Spalt Noble Hops imported from Bavaria, the oldest hop growing region in the world. Before fermentation we add a yeast strain from Weihenstephen, the oldest brewery in the world, founded before 1040 AD. Weeks of aging gives Red Oak the smooth taste it is known for.
Reviews: 123 | Ratings: 414 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
hoppydanknessOG from North Carolina

4.56/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

very nice, fresh, juicy taste. Almost a nutty flavor, maybe it's aged in oak barrels or something. Not syrupy sweet, just sweet like a fresh as hell beer. If I could drink this every time I drank, I would. I can only find this at Harris Teeter and it's 20 bucks for a 12 pack.

May 11, 2020
William295 from North Carolina

This high quality lager is my favorite beer. Red Oak has a wonderful smell and a beautiful amber appearance. It is made using the 1516 Law of Purity. Red Oak is delivered in refrigerated vehicles because it's not pasteurized or filtered. I have mostly consumed Red Oak on tap but occasionally purchase it in bottles. I love Bavarian Amber Lagers and this is delicious.

Apr 10, 2020
AJwNCSU

4.88/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Best Amber Beer I’ve tasted and Amber is my everyday beer choice. Smooth, nutty flavor. Light hop flavor with no bitter aftertaste. Great, local central NC beer. Great choice for Amber or Lager fans and if on tap, a must try!

Nov 29, 2019
detgfrsh from Texas

3.56/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap in Apex, NC. Copper color with thin white head. Caramel malt aromas. Fairly light feel. Caramel malt flavors with lingering sweetness and a touch of hops. Smooth and drinkable, though not very complex

May 29, 2019
Buckeye55 from North Carolina

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Another Red Oak product, another beer I'm partial to. I guess, without knowing it, I've been enjoying craft beers for over 25 years. Guess back when I started drinking Red Oak products, I just looked at them as a brewery, but it was Spring Garden back then. This is the first RO product I tried, along with dinner at their bar/restaurant in Gboro near Guilford College. Drank it repeatedly at other Spring Garden bars around Gboro and always like it. I think i'll have to go on a RO binge here soon

Jan 24, 2019
Bevitore from Maryland

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

My nephew brought some to WDC on a visit from N. Carolina. I tried it first, before looking up the average beer advocate.com rating and was floored to see it rated as "very good". The color is nice, the head was very thin and dissapeared almost immediately, and the taste was reasonably complex but on the whole I found it underwhelming and I'd never buy it. myself. My nephew's dad, OTOH, brings beers me beers from Tree House Brewing in Mass., and THOSE beers are over the moon, EVERY SINGLE ONE. So, don't expect too mucy from this Red Oak Amber and you won't be dissappointed.

Sep 13, 2018
Foyle from North Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +19%

On tap in pint glass. A thin off white head drops quickly with mild lacing. Color is amber with moderate steaming carbonation. Aroma and flavor are malt forward. Pleasant sweetness, caramel, toasted bread, with some hops for balance. Excellent beer.

Aug 24, 2018
Scottync from North Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Red Oak brewery is a few miles down the road from me... hard to find in stores. A premium red amber. Very smooth. One of the best beers from NC breweries. My experience is its best on tap if you are lucky enough to find it.

Jul 29, 2018
Ltdsaint from North Carolina

3.34/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My first taste of this beer was not what I expected. I saw it on tap with the vision of it being another budweiser or coors original in every aspect, but I soon came to the conclusion that it appears to be a better beer at the initial taste, i found it to be absolutely deplorable to my taste. Fool me once and I can't get fooled again (G.W. Bush). After the first impression I then saw through the beginning rouse of this brew and saw it for it's true nature, adjunctive..

Mar 18, 2018
chinchill from South Carolina

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz bottle served in a lager glass.
Pours with a clear light copper body and, despite a fairly vigorous pour, a short bone-colored head. The head has good retention and coats the glass with foam when tilted.
The aroma is malt dominated and very appealing. The flavor has very good bitter/sweet balance even though it too is dominated by sweet malts.
Smooth medium body with medium-light carbonation.

Oct 17, 2017
FriedSlug from North Carolina

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Red beer with a slightly off white head that leaves a decent amount of lacing. Caramel, maltiness and yeast in the nose. Lightly sweet, highly carbonated. It has a little caramel taste with a decent hoppy finish. Nice solid and tasty beer.

Aug 28, 2017
briandschorr from North Carolina

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

A strong beer that I have on tap at Fishy Fishy Cafe in Southport, NC. One way to describe this beer is like a sweet version of Killian's Red. A few of my customers have also referenced Killian's with a touch of Yuengling. This beer pairs well with most lunch and dinner options.

Aug 03, 2017
tjwarren from Ohio

3.66/5  rDev -3.2%

I am big fan of lagers and amber lagers in particular. This did not disappoint. It was a nice amber color with a sweet lager aroma. The taste had the typical lager sweetness but quickly the hops appeared and made the finish dry. Nice full mouthfeel. Very easy drinker.

Jun 23, 2017
Guppy314 from District of Columbia

3.64/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle and continuously chilled from the store, pours as deep copper or light brown with a foamy lasting khaki head. Light aromas of bready malt. Taste is malt-forward with sweet caramel. Some pure hops at the back end with only slight bitterness. Could easily drink this all night.

Dec 24, 2016
Brian_L-2056 from West Virginia

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark amber, light brown color with very little head. Light carbonation as well. . Smell is very malty. Initial taste is malty, with notes of caramel, slight toffee. Lacing is not very prevalent. Overall I think that this is a very solid, but different flavor brew, If you enjoy a darker style, you will enjoy this.

May 27, 2016
ljdrinksbeer from North Carolina

3.47/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L - Clear amber, quarter inch head dissipates leaving a few small bubbles on top
S - malty, sweet
T - mild hop bitterness balances a slightly fruity malt forward beer
F - medium
O - smooth and refreshing, not special, complex or particularly flavorful in any way.

Apr 12, 2016
Immortale25 from North Carolina

3.37/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a Dogfish traditional oversized snifter. No freshness date.

A- Pours a dark amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of sheer surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves tiny clots behind.

S- Bready malt with a bit of yeasty richness and a tinge of booze.

T- More bready malt that's a bit sweet. The sweetness lingers on the palate and is honestly pretty strange.

M- Typical feel for the style with medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the lighter side.

O- Drinkable but not particularly intriguing, even given the style. Just can't get over that odd sweetness going on. Not recommended.

Mar 29, 2016
TheRougeBastard from North Carolina

3.63/5  rDev -4%

Drank straight from an ice cold bottle, first thoughts were much like many other reviewers which noted, this was a beer you could drink all day, nice and smooth, no bite and a gery clean finish. The brew-store "guru" compared it to Yuengling...don't know why, there is none of the horrible "corn" aftertaste so prevalent in most of the so-called lagers brewed in the U.S., must be because of the "lager" in the name??? Anyway, it is a very good beer, and one that I can see being the perfect addition to any weekend barbecue or "big-game" party...which explains why several other gents were picking up cases for tomorrow's Super Bowl!

Feb 07, 2016
Chill12892 from North Carolina

4.12/5  rDev +9%

One of my favorites. Had this for the first time on tap at The Mellow Mushroom in Greensboro. Really enjoyed it so I decided to go buy the bottles from the grocery store. It was just as fresh from the bottle as it was from the tap. Very smooth and easy drink.

Dec 03, 2015
SFNC from North Carolina

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a deep amber with very slight head and mild carbonation. The smell is rich sweet malt with some grass. The taste is full bodied malt, with an ever so faint hops presence. The feel is creamy, but could use it bit more carbonation to fully satisfy. Overall, a very impressive amber lager. If you think Yuengling is good you ain't seen nothing yet.

Jun 07, 2015
JBtheDrizzle

4.54/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Red Oak Amber is everything I want from a beer. Great body with smooth malts, with just the right amount of hops to lighten it up, and a good, refreshing finish. My current favourite.

Jun 06, 2015
notascoolasyou from New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev +19%

A great local brew but unfortunately not suitable for long-distance exporting due to its need for constant refrigeration. Brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot, this local North Carolina unfiltered and unpasteurized amber lager contains no preservatives or additives. A longtime favorite of mine, I still grab a case pretty much every time I visit my folks back in NC. Haven't tried Red Oak's other varieties yet but will next time I'm down that way.

May 09, 2015
wahootodd from North Carolina

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have liked this beer since the first time I tried back in the late 90's. It has a yeasty quality that just seems to appeal to my senses (perhaps it reminds me of my Mom's freshly baked breads ?). There can be great variances in quality in flavor at different serving locations. Discovered that the Red Oak served at high volume vendors tastes the best (much more "normal" taste), have had terrible tasting Red Oak at places that do not keep it flowing regularly. Very thankful that it is now sold in bottles so that we can enjoy at home and share with my family in southeastern VA.

Apr 27, 2015
ordybill from Georgia

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from tap in s 16 oz glass. The appearance is a nice amber color. The aroma is full of malt with some hops. The taste matches the aroma with some nuttiness thrown in. A real good beer.

Feb 22, 2015
Meganomiidae from Louisiana

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into Abita "Surrender to the Haze" pint glass.

A: As the name suggests, very deep, amber color. The brewery themselves advocate pouring with no angle; following their directions, developed a fairly large light tan head that dissipated quickly with minimal lacing.

S: Honey wheat bread comes to mind. Reminds me of a pleasant bakery back home.

T: Classically smooth flavors in the beginning. Think Yuengling, but without all of the negatives. Very malty, almost like drinking a hearty liquid bread. Ends with a pleasant sweetness and a twang of interestingly fitting slight sourness. Would make for a good mid-summer drink here in Louisiana.

F: Thick and full bodied. More filling than the classic American macro styles. Could almost serve as a meal in itself!

It's a shame this beer needs refrigerating throughout all of its life, I'd love to see it makes its way down to the deep south. A beer I would always keep handy for sporting events and get-togethers.

Feb 20, 2015