Black Oak | Red Oak Brewery

Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 24
Reviews by VaterRoss:
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

on-tap at the brewery

Appearance is a brown/black, almost opaque, with a nice tan head. Smell is of roasted malt, lager yeast, and a tinge of liquorice oddly enough. Taste features the roasted malt, coffee, again the liquorice. A slight hint of the salty/soy sauce that can sometimes happen in this style. Fairly prominent yet smooth alcohol in the taste. Mouthfeel is heavy with a medium carb, surprisingly creamy.

This may be my favorite of Red Oak's offerings featuring lots of malty goodness and some nice liquorice undertones. A good doppelbock.

from notes: 1/20/12

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into a snifter (wrong glassware used) a deep dark chocolate brown with a thinner but creamy beige colored head atop.Alot of chcolate in the nose along with dark fruit and mild sweet alcohol.A fuller creamy feel in the mouth was nice.The chocolate is large on the palate along with some caramel and dark fruit,a bit of grain is detectable as well,the alcohol is sweet and does creep.Not a bad beer from Red Oak,honestly one of the better beers I have had from this local mainstay.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured on-tap and served in a shaker pint, the beer is a ruby highlighted, almost black coloring with a thin, sparse, filmy, light tan head. Aromas of very subtle nut and old-world fruit. The nose is very light. Flavors are rich and smooth, with a rich date, molasses, and old world fruit sweetness. Smooth, robust bodied, almost velvety. The aftertaste is rich and layered, transitioning to a velvety smooth finish. Well done.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

Served in a standard pint glass, this beer had the look of a traditional dopplebock, if not on the slightly lighter/more brown side. Beige head with average retention, the beer drank smooth with a little alcohol heat in the aftertaste. Not as roasty as most dopplebocks, but the advertised 8.5% goes down easy. Overall, good choice from the local selection.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Attended Red Oak's brewery tour on the eve of New Years Eve (December 30, 2011) for the release of this brew. The crowd was enormous by Red Oak standards (I estimate around 250 people) and I over heard the office staff confirm that it was the largest tour ever. I met some nice folks while I waited in line. A father and his 2 sons, we talked beers and Charlotte area brewers and bars. I also met a guy, his lady friend and a friend of hers who works at Bells in Kalamazoo. Of course we talked Bell's beers. We all talked with Devin (an employee of Red Oak and a fellow Battleground Brewers Guild member) about the huge grain bill that was involved in brewing the new Black Oak beer. I passed on the tour (I've been on it 5 times already) and sat in the lobby by the taps. I ordered a growler of Black Oak from which my review is from. I also had a sample of Black Oak and Hummin Bird while I talked with several other Red Oak employees. When the crowd started streaming out from the tour into the lobby I figured that was a sign to hit the road, so I packed my growler up under my arm and called it a day.

Review from the afore mentioned growler. Poured into a Rogue pint and the beer is a very dark clear brown color that can only be seen when the pint is tilted and seen through the lean edge.

The head is slightly under 1 finger and is a medium tan in color with absolutely no lacing.

The aroma is heavy roasted malts with a touch of carmel in the background.

The flavor is roasty, malty, with minor residual sweetness. The mouth feel is medium with no bitterness or alcohol to speak of and medium low on the carbination. There seems to be a slight saltiness on the lips after the finish.

While I like the brew, the salinity and sweetness is not something I am accustomed to with a Dopple Bock (or a Bock for that matter). I think both of these keep the brew from being balanced and for me, it's outside the style description. For me, this is a B beer.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev +4%

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Great beer. Not too sweet and still a hearty beer. I love the entire Red Oak line up, but Black Oak is one of my favorites on par with Battlefield Bock.

***Cough*** I wish they would start distributing the Black Oak and Battlefield Bock in bottles.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

3.46/5  rDev -8.2%

Growler from the brewery release on New Years Eve.

Dark brown pour with a mocha-colored 2-finger head. Light lace and light head retention.

Light chocolate, mocha, and roast malt define the nose. Very understated and just too light for what I was expecting.

Very sweet chocolate flavor with lighter vanilla underneath. No roast component. Bit of raisin and dark fruit present. Just not really sure what this beer wants to be.

Smooth and creamy feel.

Another decent offering from Red Oak.

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Black Oak from Red Oak Brewery