Hummin' Bird

Mar 04, 2003
SCORE
Very Good
Hummin' BirdHummin' Bird
Notes: From the brewery: Hummin' Bird is a Light Lager or Hell (Helles) similar to those found throughout Bavaria. We use carefully selected Pilsner Malt...then it is delicately hopped with imported Tettnang Noble Hops. Then we add a proprietary lager yeast strain which is not filtered out providing ones daily supply of vitamin B. Hummin' Bird is slow-cold aged for over one month resulting in a lush mouth feel.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 3.5 by LAM01833 from Massachusetts

May 29, 2021

Rated: 3.98 by Derptiluderp from Indiana

May 09, 2021
Reviewed by Ozzylizard from Pennsylvania

Hummin’bird from Red Oak. Received on 25/3/21 in a LIF from nc41. 12 oz can. Stored at home at 42 degrees. Reviewed 30/3/21. Note that I use DD/MM/YY protocol.
Bottom stamped “CANNED ON 1/27/2021”. Served at 47.3 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter. Final temperature 54.5 degrees.
Appearance – 4.
First pour – Pale Straw (SRM 2), clear.
Body – Pale straw (SRM 2), slight haze. When rear-lite same. Unfiltered/unpasteurized.
Head – Large (Maximum five cm, aggressive center pour), white smoke, medium density, short retention, diminishing to a two to three mm crown fed by effervescence and a thin partial cap.
Lacing – None.
Aroma – 4 – Grainy, some hops, and a bit of yeasty bread, no malt.
Flavor – 4 – Taste follows nose exactly. Grainy with a bit of hoppy flavor and some bready yeast. No alcohol (4.5 % ABV, according to BA, NOT marked on container) taste or aroma. No dimethylsulfide or diacetyl.
Palate – 4 – Thin, watery, carbonation more lively than soft and softer than lively.
Final impression and summation: 4 A decent lager.
Mar 30, 2021
Reviewed by beergoot from Colorado

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
Pale yellow body, clear; excellent carbonation; relatively thin white head. Grain-like scent; dry wheat and bread crust; herbal hop notes. The taste follows along the with the smell; more pronounced toasted grain and wheat; very mellow sweetness; light hop bitterness. Medium body; smooth; gentle warmth throughout.

This is a rather grain-forward helles in the smell and taste departments. Overall, it's nicely balanced and easy drinking.
Feb 24, 2021
Reviewed by Singlefinpin from North Carolina

3.99/5  rDev +5.3%
Appears yellow with a nice foamy head that dropped quickly to a thin cap.
Smells lightly bready floral and lightly citrusy.
Taste follows the nose.
Mouth feel is medium light for the style.
Overall a very nice Helles that I would definitely order again.
Dec 12, 2020
Reviewed by timzbeerz from North Carolina

This is the best beer of all time! I am so happy I live in North Carolina so I can drink it whenever I want. It's a pale lager, so it's a pale yellow, and it's not hoppy at all. Not much foam. The best way I can describe it is that it is sweet, cool, and ultra-drinkable. If it wouldn't seriously mess with the rest of my life, I could drink it all day long!
Nov 24, 2020

Rated: 4 by WesMantooth from Ohio

Aug 24, 2020
Rated by BlackBeardsCup from North Carolina

4.36/5  rDev +15%
Picked up a case on a hot day we were grilling tacos and it was an excellent pairing, drinks easy and refreshing.
Jul 21, 2020
Reviewed by Noveske

3.78/5  rDev -0.3%
I was just getting into beers and a customer of mine bought me a 12 pack. It is lightly flavored and is what I consider a summer time beer. Great for mowing the lawn with.
Look- very slightly amber with a quickly disappearing head
Smell- light smell of your typical lager
Taste- a very light and refreshing taste
Dec 16, 2019

Rated: 3.88 by user785335 from Florida

Feb 17, 2019
Reviewed by Buckeye55 from North Carolina

3.62/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Bought a six pack about 4 years ago just because I was looking for something different. I would consider it a light bodied smooth tasting beer that can get you on trouble. I only bought a six pack, but could have drank another six and maybe another. Above average but below oustanding.
Jan 26, 2019

Rated: 5 by Abeaver61 from North Carolina

Oct 06, 2018
Reviewed by Foyle from North Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%
On tap in pint glass. A thin off white head with hazy light amber color. Aroma of pleasant toasted barley. Mouthfeel is light to medium. Flavors a pleasant mix of barley, caramel, with some mild lemon citrus. Overall: excellent brew.
Aug 24, 2018

Rated: 3.4 by Bryant1985 from North Carolina

Aug 14, 2018
Rated by toolman2000 from North Carolina

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%
Typical basic lager. I like their other products better.
Aug 05, 2018
Reviewed by delabiere from Florida

Three weeks ago a friend introduced us to this beer. It is the only beer I like. It is also all natural which is very important to us. I just wish I could now find some in Florida!!
Aug 04, 2018

Rated: 3.71 by BTexpress from Georgia

Jul 15, 2018
Reviewed by Mandpasbury from North Carolina

3.61/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5
I must start this review by saying I am not a lager drinker. Never have been a fan. I gave this one a shot though as I have heard a lot about it as Red Oak Brewery is local to me. It has a much Fuller taste than the commercial lagers that are mass-produced these days and it's aroma is actually rather pleasing. At first, I was put off by the wheat that is floating in the beer but it actually piqued my interest even more. As I said, I am not a lager drinker but I did like this. It had a good flavor and I would actually drink it again.
Jul 08, 2018

Rated: 3.79 by vabeerguy from Virginia

Jul 07, 2018
Reviewed by William295 from North Carolina

4.96/5  rDev +30.9%
This beer smells great. VERY fresh smell.
This beer looks great. Light amber color.
This beer is brewed using the "purity law".
This beer is awesome on tap.
This beer is great in a bottle.
This beer is a hidden gem in the gem mine that is great beer in The United States.
Though I must admit I like Budweiser and some other domestics; roughly 30 years ago the United States started making great beers again. This is one of them.
One a side note, it has a very cool brewery visible from the highway .... !!
Mar 08, 2018

Rated: 2.76 by Sebas from North Carolina

Oct 31, 2017
Reviewed by chinchill from South Carolina

3.42/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25
12 oz 2017 bottle served in a lager glass.
Pours with a pale amber body that is clear and topped by a weak white head. Minimal lacing.
A mild ale, with about as much flavor from the hops as from the malts, although malts dominate the aroma. Very mild bitterness.
Oct 25, 2017

Rated: 3.78 by Glowingz from North Carolina

Aug 03, 2017
Reviewed by JimKal from North Carolina

3.31/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25
I remember having this in the past and liking it. With the summer heat I have been revisiting various lagers. I found this to be disappointing. It pours a darkish yellow with a nice head that leaves quickly. Lacing is nonexistent, carbonation is light. Malt forward taste with some hops at the finish. I really wanted to like this one as it is a local but I won't be buying it again.
Jul 27, 2017
Rated by Aglassplease from North Carolina

1.18/5  rDev -68.9%
To me it tastes like a crappy American pilsner
Mar 01, 2017