Hummin' Bird

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Hummin' BirdHummin' Bird
Notes: From the brewery: Hummin' Bird is a Light Lager or Hell (Helles) similar to those found throughout Bavaria. We use carefully selected Pilsner Malt...then it is delicately hopped with imported Tettnang Noble Hops. Then we add a proprietary lager yeast strain which is not filtered out providing ones daily supply of vitamin B. Hummin' Bird is slow-cold aged for over one month resulting in a lush mouth feel.
Reviews: 40 | Ratings: 123 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

I was just getting into beers and a customer of mine bought me a 12 pack. It is lightly flavored and is what I consider a summer time beer. Great for mowing the lawn with.
Look- very slightly amber with a quickly disappearing head
Smell- light smell of your typical lager
Taste- a very light and refreshing taste

3.62/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought a six pack about 4 years ago just because I was looking for something different. I would consider it a light bodied smooth tasting beer that can get you on trouble. I only bought a six pack, but could have drank another six and maybe another. Above average but below oustanding.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

On tap in pint glass. A thin off white head with hazy light amber color. Aroma of pleasant toasted barley. Mouthfeel is light to medium. Flavors a pleasant mix of barley, caramel, with some mild lemon citrus. Overall: excellent brew.

Three weeks ago a friend introduced us to this beer. It is the only beer I like. It is also all natural which is very important to us. I just wish I could now find some in Florida!!

3.61/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I must start this review by saying I am not a lager drinker. Never have been a fan. I gave this one a shot though as I have heard a lot about it as Red Oak Brewery is local to me. It has a much Fuller taste than the commercial lagers that are mass-produced these days and it's aroma is actually rather pleasing. At first, I was put off by the wheat that is floating in the beer but it actually piqued my interest even more. As I said, I am not a lager drinker but I did like this. It had a good flavor and I would actually drink it again.

4.96/5  rDev +31.9%

This beer smells great. VERY fresh smell.
This beer looks great. Light amber color.
This beer is brewed using the "purity law".
This beer is awesome on tap.
This beer is great in a bottle.
This beer is a hidden gem in the gem mine that is great beer in The United States.
Though I must admit I like Budweiser and some other domestics; roughly 30 years ago the United States started making great beers again. This is one of them.
One a side note, it has a very cool brewery visible from the highway .... !!

3.42/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz 2017 bottle served in a lager glass.
Pours with a pale amber body that is clear and topped by a weak white head. Minimal lacing.
A mild ale, with about as much flavor from the hops as from the malts, although malts dominate the aroma. Very mild bitterness.

3.31/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I remember having this in the past and liking it. With the summer heat I have been revisiting various lagers. I found this to be disappointing. It pours a darkish yellow with a nice head that leaves quickly. Lacing is nonexistent, carbonation is light. Malt forward taste with some hops at the finish. I really wanted to like this one as it is a local but I won't be buying it again.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Solid go-to beer. A lot of people complain about Red Oak and consistency. I have not ever had that problem with this beer and I have it on a pretty regular basis. Served it at my daughter's bat mitzvah, have it with dinners at restaurants, and at home in a nice cold bottle. Give Red Oak a try.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a bright yellow, light gold color into a pint glass with little head and slight carbonation. The smell is straw like, typical of certain lagers and definitely pilsners. Initial taste is slightly straw like as well but mellows out to a sweet aftertaste. The lacing is very slight as well. This is definitely a hot weather brew that I could enjoy all summer long.

4.1/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This comes from local lager specialist Red Oak. Pours a handsome straw amber color with big white head and crystal clear body. Nose is faint but malt based.

Flavors in the taste are dominated by bread and buttered biscuit tones, with a refreshing citrus snap that I can't quite place. Not strong flavors, but appealing and easy, with a mellow aftertaste. Smooth and delicate in body. Epic outside summer beer.

4.88/5  rDev +29.8%

Awesome beer. Let your friends who drink macro brewing like Coors drink this fro. Your fridge. They will go back to this label every time. It is my go to fridge stock beer. Again... Awesome!!!!

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured into a traditional oversized Dogfish snifter. No freshness date.

A- Pours a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch white head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and some faint wisps of sheer surface foam. Not-so-resilient lacing leaves small clots behind.

S- Bready malt characteristic that's slightly sweet.

T- Doughy, bready malt flavor with a bit of grainy sweetness mid-palate and a watery finish.

M- Crisp and bright with medium carbonation and a light body.

O- Brewed pretty close to style. Would be tasty on a summer day but not something I'd drink regularly.

4.29/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer just confirms my prior opinion: Red Oak brews the best lagers in NC. This beer is simply amazing, I'd have this over a Weihenstephaner any day of the week. I come from a family of beer haters, and I'm proud to say that this beer has started to sway them away from their aversion to beer. Pick up a 12 pack of these, you won't regret it.

4.67/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bar none the best American rendition of a Munich Style Helles Lager. Smells tastes and looks identical to some of the top Helles lagers of Munich such as Augustiner, Tegernsee and Ayinger Helles. It is brewed and bottled by Munich brew masters who have been recruited from the most prestigious brew school in the world (Augustiner). The men who tediously brew this lager are the best traditional Munich style lager brewers on the east coast and possibly the best in the whole country. I have had the chance to try several of Munich's finest brews including Tegernsee Hell, which in my opinion is the finest crafted Helles in the world. Hummin' Bird Helles does not stray far from the best, and it is by far the best you will be able to try on the east coast and possibly in the United States.

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I was hesitant to try a beer called Hummin Bird. I was also not familiar with the Helles style beer. This was a pleasant surprise. I already liked their Red Oak Amber. Hummin Bird has an inviting aroma and it is crisp, holds the foamy head and finishes smoothly. I found that as with most beers that subscribe to the 1512 Beer Law I don't fill up as quickly as with mass produced beer and the morning after I can't even tell I had a beer. So far I have had a good experience with everything Red Oak produces!

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is clear deep yellow in color and has ever so faint hints of visible carbonation. It poured with some delicate lacing on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of sweet, bready malts are present in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of bready malts, but there isn't nearly as much sweetness as the smell and there are notes of noble hops and faint amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has the classic aromas and flavors of a Munich Helles Lager, but seems to be lighter in body and less aromatic and flavorful compared to other beers in the style bin this respect, it would be very drinkable on a hot summer day.

3.49/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Tastes kinda like urine smells, even by pilsner standards. Hop presence isn't obvious, kinda high carbonation. Nothing really memorable here, several other local pilsner are more remarkable.

4.47/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Grain and yeast aroma, light and refreshing
Appearance- Pours a slightly cloudy yellow. Has a small white head.
Taste- Has a very delicate grain and bread flavor that is very nice, if you are looking for a hop bomb this ain't it.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation.
Overall- A very nice example of a Munich Helles Lager. Red Oak has done a nice job.

Had this t Flying Saucer in Raliegh.
YUMM! This delicate Helles captured the taste and spirit of Helles style beers.
I love all beer styles and super hoppy beers are soo wonderful, but so are some styles!
This beer is filtered and is golden with bright foam and awesome lacing
Nice floral and delicate aroma
With that subtle straw taste that is erffervesant and so nice

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Let me start off by saying that this is definitely my least favorite beer from Red Oak. Probably because it's the lightest, least flavorful beer from Red Oak. But that's not a bad thing - overall I would say that I am a massive fan of Red Oak's lagers, and having been a visitor to their lovely brewery more than a handful of times. Every other beer on their list ranges from "Mmm" to "Holy @#*&" on my completely scientific rating scale.

Red Oak has always been a staple for me locally. In fact I'm very glad that I have Red Oak beers available on tap at almost all of my local haunts. My review of the Big Oak beer sings its praises and Red Oak Amber Lager is still one of my absolute favorite go-to beers to pair with a good meal. Many pitchers of it were had during my college days.

I digress. Red Oak Humminbird. They claim it is a Munich Style Helles Lager. Which it must be, who am I to decide?

This beer was poured from a bottle into a beautiful KC Pils glass from Boulevard Brewery, Kansas City, MO.

A: Best part of this beer is its lovely appearance. It pours a nice smooth and consistent clear-gold. Plentiful bubbles eagerly rise from its depths. The head is a nice froth, forming 1-2 inches when poured properly, but dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. One of my favorite things about a nice lager is that you can look at it from above and see the bubbles popping up from underneath the surface, and I have to say that Humminbird is probably the most active beer among Red Oak's offerings for this nice little feature.

S: Extremely light and crisp. No alcohol traces. Some hops and some light malt, but overall an airy and light aroma. Some citrus fruitiness as expected.

T: A sweet and buttery mix of hops, malt and lemon notes. Not a bad beer by any stretch but void of any strong or characteristic flavors.

M: A predictably smooth unfiltered loveliness with a crisp bite and significant carbonation. Wonderfully easy to drink, as an offset to its fairly average flavor.

O: I'll be frank. I don't order this at dinner. I've had it a few times, didn't really care for it enough to pick it again, and mostly decided to buy another bottle for the review. Honestly, I can't see why they bother when Red Oak Amber, Big Oak, Battlefield and Old Oak are so wonderfully amazing lagers. I suppose they need a light and frisky beer for the wives to drink on the tour.

3.71/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a weisse vase, the beer is a bright, golden coloring, with a steady flow of carbonation and a fluffy, light, white head. Aromas of toasted grains, subtle hops bitters, and subtle floral notes. Tangy and slightly bitter overall. The flavors are toasted and sweet forward, with a subtle buttered toast vibe overall. Floral highlights, with a bitter tail end to clean the palate. Very light and crisp in mouth, with a very subtle toasted aftertaste. The finish is crisp and effervesced. Light, tasty, refreshing brew!

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a slightly cloudy yellow with an amber hue. Very little head and little retention of what there is. Carbonation looks about right, not over or under. Would have rated higher with more head though.

S - Biscuit up front. The yeast really come through. Grassy hops notes. Clean grains.

T - Bready yeast and clean grains flavors dominate. Very little hops. Also some sweet fruity notes. Not bad, but a little too sweet for me.

M - Very good, I think one of the benefits of not filtering their product comes through here.

O - Overall a good beer. Nothing that really blows be away about it, but it is not bad and would be excellent when in the mood for a quality light style beer on a hot day. My only real complaint is that it is a little too sweet for me.

3.59/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- slightly orange, amber, yellowish color with a thin white head.

S- bready, slightly malty, earthiness, but I don't get much hops

T- upfront is very bready, earthy, and malty. Finishes with a nice balanced taste, almost get some zesty notes in the finish. Would pair well with a burger or pizza.

MF- moderate to high carbonation, fizzy bubbly tingle lingers for several seconds, light body, easy drinking.

O- It's a great go-to beer when you just want to drink something easy with friends or with a meal.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

This is by far one of my favorite breweries here in North Carolina next to the Alewerks in Williamsburg. I enjoyed many of these fine beverages while waiting for my Sociology class to begin as well and many others at Guilford College. There is nothing like a Hummingbird on a nice summer afternoon in the Carolinas.

A: Pours neatly, slightly cloudy amber with orange accents with a quickly diminishing slight off white head.

S: Strong bready earthiness yet it is clean. Strong malt accents overpower the mellow hops of this brew.

T: Mellow and malty, hints of corn and cereal. The sweet aftertaste is one of my favorite things about this drink, it truly sends my taste buds in transport.

M: Medium bodied, yet not too heavy. Low carbonation and velvety mouth feel overall.

O: I enjoy this beer a lot and I have to be careful as I can drink quite a few of these. A good drink for the warmer days of summer, I highly recommend it.

Hummin' Bird from Red Oak Brewery