Jager Weisse | Camba Bavaria

Added by boddhitree on 09-07-2013

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 2
Reviews by boddhitree:
4.06/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Here's the next Camba Bavaria beer: Jager Weisse. First, notice it's not jÄger, as in Jägermeister. On their website, they call it both a "Die Jäger Weisse hat eine…" and "Jager Weißbier hell passt hervorragend…" Thus it's confusing, but only they know, eh? Jäger means hunter, hence the deer on front. The site also states it's available only from May to September, so a seasonal summer offering.

The color is orange-yellow with hints of amber. It's cloudy, but it's not overly so, making it neither a Hefe- or Kristalweizen.

The aroma is typical Weizen: cloves, banana and bubblegum. The front of the tongue is slightly sour and a tad bitter… like that. No sweetness up front. The middle gives over to wheat flavor, again a slight sourness and bitterness, and an intense dryness, which is from the wheat. Yet the mouthfeel is also thick as a warm blanket… so dryness and thickness… again, what more could you want. So far, no banana or bubblegum or anything in this direction, but then in the back… whoa… it's all malt sweetness, LOTS of Pils malt flavors, with banana, little cloves, and lemon too. I'm getting almost zero bubblegum in the flavor except ever so slightly in the very back and aftertaste. The website claims to have apricot and yes, towards the back end I'm getting that. I doubt I would've noticed it had I hot read the website, but now that it's in my conscious awareness, I can really taste it.

So… what do we have? Overall, I love that it's got almost zero bubblegum flavor, for that's always a turn off for me. To me, they're using a yeast not typical of your big Fernsehbiere. It's a above average Weizen, quite malty and great mouthfeel.

3.5/5  rDev n/a