Ice Cream Man

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Ice Cream ManIce Cream Man
Notes: American IPA brewed with Citra hops. This will be available ONLY in our tap room and only for growler fills and pints. This beer reminded us of an orange creamsicle, so we'll have an ice cream truck on site Thursday for your beer & ice cream pairing pleasure. This is a benefit for Therapeutic Wilderness Awareness Month, and $1 from the sale of every growler fill and pint will be donated to the Jason William Hunt Foundation, helping at-risk youth through outdoor education and leadership programs.
Reviews: 25 | Ratings: 89 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look ... lovely tangerine orange
Smell .... very nice hoppy juicy and very nice aromas
Taste... very nice. I saw one of the earlier reviews say that Counterweight Brewing made some better, not that I've had. This is definitively better than those that I had, and moreover in the echelon of New Park in my eyes. I really like this one. * need to make it out to fox farm and Fat Orange Cat
Feel ... one of the best aspects of this beer at 6.4% it feels much bigger. A taste I get from doubles most of the time
Overall... i wish this brewery would get their head out of their aSS....JUST MAKE IT DUDES. I would buy this all the time not because of shit hype. My biggest complaint about Back East and New England brewing too is that they produce the shit out of Sea Hag( so marginal) and Misty Mountain Hop(incredibly marginal) instead of their better beers

4.16/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. can - 9 days fresh

A: Pours a thick golden cream color. Half finger of bone white head, which dies down quickly to a thin layer. Little lacing.

S: Sweet. Creamy orange. Stone fruits. Papaya. Tea. Dank. Not too pungent. Nice.

T/M: Orange flavors. Creamsicle is a word often used for this type of beer. Stone fruits. Tea. Very smooth, almost too smooth. Needs a little more carbonation, but it goes with the style. Thick mouthfeel and easy to drink. Nice citra flavors.

O: Very good NE IPA representation. Creamy and sweet. One sided. Happy I didn't wait 2 hours in line for this, like others have. I enjoyed this beer, even with it being over hyped.

Cheers!!

4.16/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lucky enough to pick up a 6-pack 12oz cans at local beer store for $12.99 - great deal! Canned on 9/4/19. First time I got a six pack at a store... This beer used to be impossible to get unless you waited at the brewery for 2 hrs. Onto the review:
Poured into tulip glass. Beautiful hazy creamy golden yellow, with 3/4 inch white creamy head.
Smell was less than I anticipated, but orange cream with peach and melon to back it up. Faint dankness/earthy note ?
Taste was delicious. Nice full flavor for a 6.4%. Typical citrus, with pineapple, orange creamsicle, with a nice grain backbone (oats?). Each sip pulled me back in for another.
Feel - smooth and creamy, but thinner than anticipated. not syrupy or thick. Medium carbonation.
Overall - I would say this lives up to its hype as an terrifica IPA. I've had bolder, more complex beers, but they were DIPAs at 7.5%-8%. This IPA is near perfect at 6.4%. Can drink it all day and all night. It's not heavy or filling. Wish I picked up more! I'm sure it will be gone by the time I get back to the store.

3.77/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Drunk from a 12oz can dated 8/26/19. The nose on this is very good - orange comes through with sweet blossoms. Taste is initially good, but doesn't quite follow the nose Less tropical, less flowery, and more thin than you'd expect. My biggest problem with this beer is the bitter that builds and turns almost brackish, too strong for such a light delicate hopped IPA. If I were to rate it against most other CT beers, I think I'd prefer Double Ruffled, Fantastic Voyage, and Counterweight over Ice Cream Man.

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 12 oz can dated 8/8/19 into the test glass
A - Dark straw color, not hazy but murky, thin white cap, lacing rings the glass wall
S - Sweet malts, orange, pineapple, a touch of ripe melon.
T - Rich fruit flavors, again with the orange and pineapple.
M - Medium in body, soft on the palate, gently carbonated.
O - A very good IPA with the body and hop display are on point

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

One of the beers I wish I believed all the hype about- this s#^t is good. 6 pk canned same day poured into pint. Unbelievable golden slushie(?) look. Extremely smooth and balanced. Going to be tough to not drink all 6 tonight. *Just got back from Trillium recently-extremely disappointing-and this is better than all 4 offerings I had from them. BY FAR

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Grabbed a six pack of 12 oz. Cans at the River Valley Co-op in Northhampton, MA.
Opened on 5/21/19

The Grateful Dead image, created by Stanley Mouse titled the "Ice Cream Kid" which is featured on the cover of the Live Europe '72 album caught my attention.

This is a super smooth, silky body and yet somehow snappy mouth feel. Light and crisp and then crazy creamy is Achieved without any added lactose or dairy.

Orange and golden coloration with milky white hues is dense and hazy. Whipped cream style foam topping is impressive.

The aroma certainly does smell like an orange creamsicle! Sweet cream, peppery citrus, mango chunks and freshly crushed up hop cones make for a rather excellent nose.

The Citra hop flavor for this is outstanding. Layers of hop flavor from silky oranges to wet and dank earthiness keeps it very interesting. The light, yet smooth flavors of the malt bring golden grainy flavors, mostly wheat and oats are detected.

Overall, this is one of the smoothest NE style IPA's I've had, excellent Citra hop flavor and a fine malty balance makes me happy the iconic Ice Cream Kid is represented on this cover as well.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Tried this at Eli Cannon's in Middletown, CT. Came in a tulip glass with about a quarter inch of head leaving behind a thin line of lacing, and the appearance was creamsicle orange. The aroma was dank and resinous. The flavor is definitely a repeat of the aroma being dank and a little resinous with definite citrus notes, like orange and grapefruit. Nice IPA.

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

Very pleasant and drinkable with a smooth start and finish. More melon than citrus. Could have a bit more character, but this is a very easy drinking ne IPA. Probably my favorite from this brewery.

4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fresh from the brewery, the first day of the release, canned three days ago. Pours a murky, milky, dirty yellow. Dissipating head. As it sits in the glass it becomes one of the most thoroughly unnatractive beers ive ever seen. a flat concoction like milk mixed with grapefruit juice. It is milky in its soft, creamy mouthfeel... but i was initially slightly underwhelmed by the flavor. Its mild and delicately subtle. There is less citra presence here than in something like fuzzy baby ducks. There is an overarching very mild bitter presence from beginning to end but it kind of manifests as a dryness on the palate rather than a journey of nuanced, shifting flavor. The psuedo-milky linger i do not find appealing. Im not being left with a hop note that i can really savor, either. Similar build and appearance to Infinite Universe. Im not getting the “creamsicle” as advertised, because im really not finding the orange citrus flavors here, which are muted and almost dusty, in the murk. Its good, but... to me, its not an elite ipa. Over time, this did grow on me because of its overall drinkability. I think this beer (and I too) fell victim to overly high expectations. For what it is, this is a nice beer worthy of purchasing and enjoying. It is smooth and velvety and goes down extremely easily. It may not blow away your tastebuds with a kaleidoscope of hop flavor but I suppose thats not the intention. It is a strangely comforting and addictive brew to drink once you become familiar with it.

3.79/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can into dogfish IPA glass. Dated 3/21/19.
ABV at 6.40%.
Look is nice hazy golden yellow. Smell is sweet citrus fruit. Taste follows nose and has a little pepper at end. Feel is light to medium. Overall a very nice NE style IPA. Would drink again.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Got in a trade with brutalfarce. 12 ounce can into tulip glass, no can dating. Pours opaquely hazy/cloudy deep golden/orange/amber color with a 1 finger dense and rocky off white head with great retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big tangerine, orange juice, red grapefruit, lemon, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, mango, honeydew melon, guava, gooseberry, citrus peel/rind, wood, light peppercorn/pine, wheat, biscuit dough, light honey/toast, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of citrus/fruity/tropical hops and bready malt notes; with great strength. Taste of huge tangerine, orange juice, red grapefruit, lemon, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, mango, honeydew melon, guava, gooseberry, citrus peel/rind, wood, light peppercorn, pine, wheat, biscuit dough, light honey/toast, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness. Light pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, floral, woody, grassy, peppery bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of tangerine, orange juice, red grapefruit, lemon, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, mango, honeydew melon, guava, gooseberry, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, pine, wheat, biscuit dough, light honey/toast, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Awesome complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/fruity/tropical hops and bready malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and no lingering hop astringency after the finish. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering bitterness. Medium carbonation and medium-plus body; with a very smooth, creamy/silky/bready, fairly sticky, and lightly resinous/rindy balanced mouthfeel that is great. Minimal warming alcohol for 6.4%. Overall this is an awesome NEIPA. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/fruity/tropical hops and bready malt flavors; very smooth and easy to drink with the mellowly bitter/resinous/drying finish. Great soft feel, not aggressive. Awesome Citra profile. Very juicy and fairly dank/earthy hops; with a great balancing wheat/oat/malt backbone. Mild residual sweetness with lingering resin dryness. A really enjoyable offering, and impressive spot on style example. Loved the hop profile as expected. Tons of sweet jammy fruit complexity from the hops.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: cloudy; medium gold in color; 1 finger ivory head that receded to a wispy cap; very nice lacing;

S: very aromatic; grapefruit, pineapple, and mango;

T: nicely balanced between grapefruit, pineapple, and mango; mild bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish

O: really, really, good;

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Not sure why it's listed as retired. Had it recently on tap.thought it was a little thin and the flavors were very muted. I like Back East but this one was a miss for me.

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Had it canned on 4/14/18. Average beer, I just don't seem to really like anything Back East makes. Wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Maybe it's better on draft? Certainly no "creamsicle" taste. Slightly orange, mildly hoppy. It's ok. I can think of at least 15 other more available IPAs that I rather have-you won't find me in line waiting for it. I see others referring to Tree House in their reviews of this, not even on the same realm...

4.66/5  rDev +12%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Description is inaccurate; the beer is still brewed, just not available year round. There are specific release dates. Anyway, one of my favorite beers. I can't wait to get my hands on this stuff, it is divine.

Most attractive beer I've ever seen. Light orange and super hazy, giving a dairy-like look, as if creamer had been poured into the beer. Classic juicy citra hop smell and taste, with just a hint of extra sweetness and a creamy mouth feel. Incredibly easy drinking for its ABV.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

They continue to release the Ice Cream Man! I was lucky enough to have a friend that waited in line for nearly an hour and a half to scoop a few and wow I really lucked out. This stuff was awesome and once poured into a glass it looked amazing and tasted better. Don't listen to the "This beer is retired; no longer-brewed." They are still making it and it is fantastic!

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I've been going to back East Brewery for a long time, and this is by far their best beer. In fact I believe it's one of the best beers in Connecticut. This one is poured from a can dated May 15th into a tulip glass. Thank you to my friend Randy for waiting in line for this. But it is worth the wait. It definitely has a creamsicle feel with an orange and cream burst on the front end with slight malt flavor at the end. This latest batch is heavier on the cream filled and later on the citrus. An excellent offering from back east.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at 2 Bros. Pours a hazy burnt orange color with an inch of frothy white head. Good amount of lacing. Lots of citra in the nose. Sweet and spicy smelling. The taste is sweet and creamy with lots of orange and citrus flavor. Some spicy notes as well. This one does a pretty good job of making that creamsicle flavor. Citra hop finish. Medium bodied. Overall, this one delivers on the name and is worth seeking out.

2.22/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I think it's weird that they actually identify the style as "A Citra India Pale Ale". Anyway, it pours a dark bronze, almost brown color. The big bone-colored head fades relatively quickly and leaves a bunch of sticky lacing.
Aroma has a heavy herbal presence but there are also some orange notes.
Taste is all lemon iced tea up front and the flavor lingers throughout. Lots of earthy herbal tones follow. There is some mint, black pepper, and vegetal notes. The flavors don't really come together for me.
The bitterness is low to medium and there is a lot of heat for the ABV. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. I'm not big on this one at all. Hard to finish. Hoping to do a trade soon so I can throw in my remaining cans as extras.

3.89/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Smell smell smell...... Close your eyes and you would think your smelling a Julius. Taste didn't add up. Crisp, not creamy. Carbonation off a bit. I would buy it from a store, not wait in a line.

3.66/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had ICM at Nolita, A bar in East Hartford. It was supposed to be a brewery exclusive, but I had it on tap at a bar. Overall, if it had less rye, I'd call it a winner for a NEIPA style. But it just didn't taste right. Back east still needs to refine this beer.

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

L - pours a dark hazy orange. I'd expect creamsicle to be a little more neon though? Nice fluffy head. Creamy.

S - wet towels up front. Distinct orange rind and some peppery tang. The back end of the nose yields some of the sweeter creamsicle, but it's more like a melonsicle. Getting some peach and mango too.

T - I... I was told there would be orange creamsicle... where is the creamsicle? The overpowering dominant flavor is yeasty bread and stringent orange rind juice bitterness. You know how when you squeeze an orange peel and little speckles of juice come out? Now squeeze enough of that in a glass to take a sip and go ahead and take that big ol swig. Yeah. It's about as appealing as it sounds. Lots of that on the finish. Old sponge makes an appearance after the rind. The more I drink, the more tropical it gets and I start to see some bright peach pop up front. It's promising and I wait for the downturn into sugary vanilla sweetness that is inherent in creamsicle, but instead I get the stinging rind bitterness. It's not bad, but it is false advertising. Finishes dry and tart.

F - feel is good. Creamy, if not a little on the thin side, but robust enough body to make it a luxurious drinker.

O - I don't know what I was expecting. On one hand, I hear "orange creamsicle" which is something Tree House is famous for and does without even trying, so I figured a beer that touts this as the main flavor would be good. On the other hand, this is Back East, a brewery not exactly known for amazing beer, so how good could it be? Well, the end result was disappointment. I got a mediocre beer that didn't deliver on its promises. It's not bad, and a step above their other stuff, but it's not great either, and I was clearly disillusioned when I thought it would be something special. Maybe the freezing cold two hour wait in what was the slowest moving line of my life for a measly six pack spun a yarn that perhaps this was a beer worth waiting for? I was fooled. On that note, Back East, if you're reading this: get your shit together. That release was absolutely horrendous. Learn how to handle a crowd, holy shit. It shouldn't take two hours to serve 70 people. I don't know wtf you were doing in there, but I was standing still for upwards of 5 minutes at a time. Get it together.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a fresh can into a pint glass. Nice light head with some retention. Great sticky lacing all the way down. Color is a hazy (cloudy) deep honey gold. Aroma is very creamy tropical fruit with a little citrus. Flavor follows with nice balance, no bitterness, and a bit of pineapple in the finish. Very tasty example of the New England IPA style. Not the mouthfeel of Tree House beers but a very nice overall drinker. I will buy again when it is available

3.99/5  rDev -4.1%

Growler from Brewery: This one pours a fairly clear darker golden color. There was a bit of a frothy off white head that leaves a fair amount of lacing. It has a nice nose. Melon and citrus notes are predominate. Malts and biscuit faint in background. The taste is very good. Not really too bitter at all. Melon and citrus hop flavors. Nice malts in the background. Very smooth. Hopefully it will make it into the rotation!

Ice Cream Man from Back East Brewing Company