Cuvée Du 7ème | BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)

Cuvée Du 7èmeCuvée Du 7ème

BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)
Switzerland
brasseriebfm.ch

Style: Bière de Garde

This amazing beer was created the day we commemorated the 7th anniversary of the Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes. The opening days, held every year on the first Saturday of November, are the opportunity for the brewer to devise a new recipe.
This one-off impressed B. United International Inc.'s boss so much that he asked for it to be brewed again just for you lot across the Pond. It is brewed using a combination of 6 aroma hop varieties, which give it a moderate bitterness and a complex bouquet evolving over time. Yes, because Cuvee Du 7eme will improve over time, you should stash it away in a cellar.

Added by OldSock on 06-02-2006

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 64 | Ratings: 115
4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Way too much of a head sits atop the cloudy amber liquid; on the flip side, as it settles, the retention is great, and so is the lacing

Smell: While there are a number of interesting elements to the aroma, I cannot get past the band-aid phenolics, but I'll try; there is some stone fruit, vegetal funk and just a hint of toffee

Taste: Fortunately, the beer tastes far better than it smells; opens with a funky blend of licorice, rum raisin, apricot and toffee that is particularly herbacious - absolutely wild, in fact; after the swallow, the sweeter elements of toffee and licorice nip out the herbal and funky aspects but produce a compellingly complex finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body but overly carbonated

Drinkability: Despite my schizophrenic scoring, this beer is rather enjoyable to drink; just wish the smell and mouthfeel were as good as the flavor

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Wow. Can't beleive this is listed as BSDA. Sort of biere de garde/flemishy.

2006 vintage.

anyway, pours a nice ruby color with an off white head that retains pretty well and leaves ok lacing.

Nose is slightly wild, some nice vinous nose and some grape skin and cherry.

Taste follows with great fruit flavors and nice vinous notes. Grapes and slight cherry. Man, very nice beer. There is a significant wild presence in here, but I would not call this one sour or tart, but there is a good wild presence that lends itself to the nice dryness on the finish. A good grapeiness. Very dry.

Mouthfeel is right where I like it in beer like this. Good carbonation, very nice dryness.

Drinkability is solid, but this is a good one to sip with some nice cheese. Not chuggable, but drinkable as hell for what it is.

Overall I am very impressed with this beer. It really fails to meet any particular style Im aware of, but is closest to a biere de garde I would say. I really like the slight sourness combined with the very dry finish. The fruit flavors in here are very good as well. I love the vinous grape notes. An awesome beer!

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

750ml bottle says 2006, purchased from LiquorMax.

Pours a deep orange with hints of amber. Nice pillowy cream-colored head that leaves good lace.

Sweet and slightly sourish smells come out. Strong Sourdough bread component with woody or barrel-like notes. Figs, dried apricots.

Sour (tart) and somewhat dryish or muted dried fruit flavors. Tastes pretty much like you would expect from a bier de garde, with an extra (cherry?) fruit impression.

Dry, almost tannic impression here, but kinda watery feel overall... so I guess it seems balanced. Nice beer for sure.

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured this 33 cL brown bottle swingtop into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date. The body was a dull peach nectar golden brown color. A film of head stayed throughout.

Smell was of dusty Belgian yeast. Dark stone fruits and apricots. Dank. Vinous. Interesting.

Taste was tangy. Fruity. There was a biter building aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was medium to full. Mouthfilling carbonation.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

750ml bottle vintage dated 2006. Also the label refers to this beer as a Bier de Garde, not a Belgian Strong dark as it is currently listed in the BA database.

Pours murky amber with orangy hues. A vibrant, off-white head of three inches swelled up before a slow retreat.
Plenty of webbed lacework remains throughout the glass, as well as a solid skim coat on the surface.

Aromatics lead off with pink grapefruit, peach skins, oaky tannins, and earthy undertones.
Lemon pith, wet hay, and dusty boards follow through along with hints of wet sock and funky cheese.
Plenty of acid, earth, and fruit.

Light to medium bodied. A creamy and drying mouthfeel. Crispish.

Peach pits, grapefruit pith, lemon spritzed grass, and pineapple skins lead off the pallet. Dried apricots, tannic wood, and bitter, dried greens follow through.

Finishes with a lingering bitterness, drying oakiness, and peach skins.

Very complex with a nice level of tartness. Plenty of acid without being overbearing or sour.

Big ups to my SD connection for such a great extra in a trade!

3.72/5  rDev -3.4%

I picked up this bottle for $8 (way expensive) in Boston. The bottle was capped Grolsch-style flip-top, and when I popped it there was a little foam spillage. The beer was really hazy, orange colored, with surprisingly little foam given the situation when I opened the bottle. The aroma was complex I guess, possibly it could be described as a mess but I liked all the funkiness. It was earthy and musty, smelling a lot like a sour wild ale. I don't think I'd call this a Belgian dark ale, I think it's mis-categoried on BA. The taste is sour and funky, very tasty but maybe difficult to rate too high on drinkability. I can't pound a beer like this, it's more of a contemplative sipper.

4.24/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a milk chocolate, murky brown with hints of amber around the edges. Not very carbonated upon first pour. Smell is pretty interesting. Notes of whole wheat bread, lemon, loads of green grapes, european white wine... all very interesting. Taste follows suit. I wish I knew enough about grapes to name all the grape I was tasting. Strong notes of fig, earthy soil, lemon, wheaty, red apple. Mouthfeel is very 'guard-esque'. Overall, I would most likely need 3 - 4x of these to full appreciate how complex this beer is. Wow.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 750 into my glass, and the glasses of my fellow home brewers.

The beer pours a rich dark brown with visible carbonation. The beer smells earthy, with a combination of dark fruits, hay, and lemon. The beer taste as earthy as I would expect a wild ale to taste, with strong sour notes. I am a funk lover- so I am really loving this beer. This beer has strong carbonation that plays off the sour notes and creates a really lovely taste / mouthfeel.

Overall- this is a great beer- tough to drink a ton of due to complexity- but solid.

BTW- I think I would need to drink this for about a month straight to really get all the flavors in this brew. Super complex!!!!

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a cloudy amber with a friggin huge beige head and nice lacing. Aroma is medium sweet herbs, orange zest and dough. Flavor is herbal, spicy, grass, caramel and peach. Finishes long dry and sticky. Medium body, chewy texture. I really expected more out of this one.

Bottle pours a hazy orange body with a small beige head that has some staying power. Extravagant lacing like drywall paste.

Interesting aroma has some fruity peach, cracked white pepper, lemon rind, and some floral hops.

Medium body with a low medium carbonation. A prevailing dryness rules the mouthfeel.

Taste has some lemongrass, white pepper, lavender water, and a ton of floral and herbal notes. Very complex.

This one is very enjoyable but quite a style bender. I don't have an idea what style this is but I certainly wouldn't call it a Belgian strong dark ale.

3.31/5  rDev -14%

750 ml - 2006

A: Poured a hazy/cloudy ruby-ish amber color with a huge off-white head with amazing retention. Leads to a decent amount of lacing.

S: very sour esters. Tart green apples, some sour citrus as well.

T: This hasn't mellowed much over the past year or so, and if it did it is too hard to tell. Very tart/sour which kind of destroys any flavors coming in. Mostly sour citrus. You can also taste the alcohol right behind the initial sours.

M: Good mouthfeel, carbonation is a little too high. Very interesting palate, sours with a hint of sweetness.

D: very interesting beer. Not quite what I expected but I look sour beers, and this one was very sour. I wouldn't mind letting one age for a few more years. I think some time will mellow this one out.

33 cL, stubby swingtop bottle, brewed in '04 with six different aroma hops - unfiltered and conditioned. The beer is an orange-tinged garnet, sedimented, with low carbonation and a three inch, tan head. Sweet and vinous, almost acidic in the nose, with yeast, some hops, and notes of berries (currants, cherries, straw- and raspberries); reminiscent of a Flanders red. On the palate, it is quite vinous, with a complex fruitiness that makes it hard to pick out individual flavors, but apples and red berries are easy to spot. There are also notes of caramel and a mild bitterness from the grassy/spicy noble hops. Fairly light, well-carbonated body, with a smooth, medium finish. The hops have definitely faded over time, and I'm not sure if the vinous qualities are the result of oxidation or if they were indended, but either way, it's a tasty, Belgian-style brew.

3.84/5  rDev -0.3%

Thoroughly over carbonated, the beer starts to foam up as soon as I pop the cap, this active bottle is definitely sitting in the sink where it can foam at its leisure. I am able to get maybe two-fingers of beer in my glass with the rest being foam, including a good two-fingers above the rim of my glass. The head is a light tan color and sits on top of a reddish-pink tinged, copper colored brew that is almost brilliantly clear. The aroma is quite interesting, a mix of damp, earthy / musty notes, ripe fruit and malt. Amped up notes of red apple, plums, candied tropical fruit are offset by a mix of malt and funky notes. The malt leans toward toasted grain, crushed malt and biscuit notes while the funky notes provide an overripe fruitiness and a touch of musty funk.

Lightly sweet, but it finishes with a sharp, substantial bitterness as well as a bit of musty funkiness. The beer is quite light bodied, almost surprisingly given the perceived sweetness, though I think a lot of the sweetness is accentuated by the amped up fruit character of this brew. The fruit notes lean towards a mix of strawberries, rip melons, berries, plum and blood oranges. The fruitiness seems a bit over-ripe, which is really where the funkiness comes in to play, but there is a light, musty, damp earthiness here that contributes lightly to the flavor profile. The malt character has all but dissapeared from the flavor, probably reduced by whatever bug has dried this out.

What a strange beer, the mix of hop focus (which has clearly mellowed with age) and weird fruity funkiness (was this even intended) can be a bit confusing at times. I admit though that the two don't really get in the way of each other. While this may not be the exact vision of the brewer (though maybe it is), it is certainly an interesting, engaging and tasty brew. In the end this is definitely a hop dominated brew, especially since the malt character has been reduced so much by the "wild" bug, but I like the light funky influence.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a cloudy dark amber color with a 2 finger off-white head that sticks around pretty well and leaves a touch of lacing. Smells very interesting - some sweet caramel with some odd piny hops I think. Some other notes that I can't quite identify and I wouldn't necessarily call good (but not all that bad either).

Upon first taste, I am not a huge fan. This is no Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Relatively well hopped with piny hops with a lot of spicing and some qualities reminiscent of saisons. Relatively dry, with some astringency. Some toffee sweetness is back there. Bitterness and spiciness lingers. Might be some oxidation as well, and a bit of musky qualities - actually, kind of a woody sort of taste.

Mouthfeel is slightly sharp but enjoyable. Drinkability is pretty good.

An interesting, slightly odd beer. Some qualities here that some might not enjoy, but different enough to keep it interesting. I am wondering if this came together better fresh though (although, I haven't had this bottle that long). Would I buy again? Probably not. But, it was worth a try.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Served around 50º cellar temperature...after the first pour, the bottle began to slowly foam while sitting upright. In the glass there was a copious amount of dense/sturdy eggshell foam. It had a hazy, rusty amber tone to it. Racing carbonation from the bottom of the glass, at the point where the bowl meets the stem.

Very doughy and twangy lemon in the nose.

Tastes of amber malt with muted spices, lingering orange peel and buttery biscuits. It has a light tartness, but not overtly sour. Saison -like with a steady flow of carbonation. Lightly dry in the finish.

Drinks very light & balanced. Perhaps the year plus of aging has sent the spices into the background. If you still have this vintage sitting around, break it out on a spring or summer afternoon with a cheese plate.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

2006 750 ml bottle. I wouldn't call it a Belgian Strong Dark Ale at all, finding it closer to a saison, but it is good, being a unique amalgam of Belgian blonde and saison tastes, with just a tiny hint of lambic sourness. Enjoyable and a bit lemony. If you like this, you’d also like Flemish Primitive.

Sampled 8-1-2007. I have actually had this beer several times prior to now. Somehow I never took the time to review it. I guess I was too busy enjoying it at Spuyten Duyvil to care about reviews.

Pours a dark brownish with orange tint and it is completely clouded. Nice crème head. Spices are on the nose as in an airy light orange citrus. Flavor is a thick mix of spices. That is the astounding theme here. Spices and a bit of funk. I feel like just biting into a thick bloody steak as I drink this. Feel has an attacking carbonation that is firm on the tongue. Liquid is pretty well bodied too. I say this is very drinkable, though the mass of spices assaulting the palate will definitely turn some people off. But hey, I like it. Enough to have had it a third time already.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

I bought a big bag of beers at Eagle Provisions today and I noticed there was a little leakage which came from this bottle with the Grolsch style cap. So i wasn't planning on drinking tonight but I figured I should have this in case it was going to go bad. It opened with a thunderous pop though so my fears were probably unjustified. Oh well time to have my first Swiss beer.

A-Pale cloudy brown with a thick cream coloured fluffy dense three fingered head. Settles down into a nice one finger cap and leaves sheets of lace.

S-Spices and more spices. Also very yeasty and slightly sweet from the caramelised malt. The spices I am getting are cinnamon, maybe a twinge of black pepper and some cardamom.

T-Not as sweet as I was expecting. There is a minorsweet caramel start followed up by a deep bitterness that complements it well. The follow through reveals some raw alcohol notes which turn me off a bit. Still this is very interesting as there are a good deal of spice notes throughout and a bit of black pepper in the aftertaste.

M-Lighter than I would have thought with a effervescent champagne like carbonation.

D-Very interesting brew but the alcohol burn in the end at the back of the throat is a little much for me. An interesting choice though and in no way a bad beer, but not one I will go out of my way to get again.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a very hazy dark muddy brown with a full four fingers worth of head that fades slowly to a thin soapy cap. The subsequent lacing is a bit tattered and broken.

Smell; very yeasty, almost dusty aroma, with some dark fruits and sweet malts mixed in. Surprisingly, there’s a little little bit of a floral hop aroma, with just some touches of citrus as well.

Taste; the yeast isn’t quite so strong as it was in the aroma, but still very evident. Dark fruits and sweet malts fill out the middle of theis beers, and then some floral hops come out. There also seems to be a bit of a smokiness to this as well.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and maybe a touch on the syrupy side, with a pretty good drinkability. Not really a beer I’d like to drik all of the time, but certainly a nice change of pace time of beer.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Although BFM markets the 6 types of hops, the bitterness is well contained, and most substantiated in the finish. Superior tasty Belgian dark, with herbal aroma. Some caramel, grassiness, bold taste for merely 7.5% (and great for a weekencd lunch), orange peel citrus, coriander,fruity,sweet spicey yeasty.

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance – An amber color hue with a HUGE foamy white head. very appealing looking.

Smell – Notes of flowery hops, yeast, some oranges rind, lemon, and lavender.

Taste – Very clean. The yeast and different hops mingle with some sweet malt. Very complex for the few ingredients.

Mouthfeel – Sweet and sticky mouthfeel. The carbonation is very active.

Drinkability – I am glad I got to try this. I would definitely pick up some more if I could.

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

Explodes out of bottle making a five-finger+ white rocky head that goes quickly leaving some lace. Cloudy amber color. Ton of yeast. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Malty, yeasty nose. Flavor is sweet and spicy some raisin, clean finish. $5.99 for a 330ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

This beer foamed out of the bottle like a volcano and kept foaming out of the bottle even after I'd poured two chalices. Unbelievable! The foamiest beer I've ever had. The aroma is lightly spicy and toasty with cinammon, clove, apricot, and a tannic finish. The flavor is even spicier, and is similar to the aroma. There is also a woodiness to the beer that balances the spiciness. Very dry and tannic, not very creamy, but not rough either. There is a bitter herbalness to this beer as well, but it tastes more like sage than hops. Very interesting. Pretty drinkable, a little intense to have much, but interesting enough to keep quaffing. Very nice to see this beer available in the states.I'll definitely be trying some more of their offerings.

3.31/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pop! The bottle opened, cold gases streamed out, condensing water vapor, and a mini-volcano of foam commenced. After it was contained and poured into a snifter, I had to sit back and gape at the head. Massive. The beer itself was a beautiful color, a cloudy orange, and the head stuck nicely to the glass.

I wish I'd read the reviews on this one before trying it (or tried to convert the label's suggestion for serving at 10 to 12 degrees C to Farenheit) -- I had it fairly cold, which may have hurt my impressions of it. Overall, I was unimpressed -- it had all the elements of Belgian styles -- fruity yeast, spices, dark fruit -- but they were dominated by the booziness. I didn't even finish my glass. I wonder if 5 degrees C would have made all the difference.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Cuvée Du 7ème - Product of Switzerland.
750 ml bottle

I shared this beer with BA bookert at Sunday evening meal when his family joined mine for dinner. Great evening great beer.

Allowed to warm while we ate. And served after the meal.

Appearance: Poured a murky copper brown color with a big head and notable lacing in my snifter glass.

Smell: Delightful aroma of yeast and spices. Sugary sweet with apples and raisins and a hint of plum and some farmhouse attributes.

Taste: Initially I found this to more pale ale ten strong dark. Our first pours did not include the yeasties and we re-corked the bottle and set it aside. My first thoughts were very sharply sugar with cinnamon and Belgian yeast a hint of apple. I returned to this bottle at the end of the evening after everyone else went to bed it still had the wine cork it ant a glass left. This one I enjoyed even more at room temperature and including the 'bottom of the barrel'. More plum raisin and molasses along with the cinnamon and cardamom. A bit of alcohol on the cheeks forces a slight pucker on the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Spicy and active and a bit gritty on the palate. Spices and alcohol and sharp sweetness and dryness in the finish tug and pull on the palate keeping you very busy.

Drinkability: This is not a very drinkable beer although it is enjoyable. Two of us left a glass in the 750. It is a beer that demands a lot, but is pleasant; I certainly don't need more than one though.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Cuvée Du 7ème from BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)