St. Peter's Cream Stout | St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

stpetersbrewery.co.uk

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002

Ratings: 1,048 |  Reviews: 620

Sampling right now on 1/25/14. Had this one a few times in the past and LOVE it! Single 550ml (16.9 ounce) bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooker and poured into a pint glass.

Pours almost black with just a tad of a beige head which leaves some spotty lacing. Perfect carbonation and not real 'fizzy', like I like them. Smells of sweet chocolate, roasted malts and coffee. The taste is the about same and very easy to drink with NO bitter aftertaste. I simply LOVE this one! This is the best that it gets in my opinion. My favorite "Cream Stout" to date!

4.97/5  rDev +28.1%

I loved the flavor of the perfectly blended Fuggles and Challenger hops with a blend of 4 barley malts. Flavor and aroma seem to merge as I taste this dark cream stout. When I swallow this medium full mouth feel necter, it provides one of its best features- a bittersweet aftertaste. Some reviewers have described as woody, smokey, and/or roasted. However described - its awesome. Seems to finish so dry it should not be called a sweet stout. My 500 ml. "flask" bottle definately contained the right stuff! That is why it was a back to back gold medal winner in the I.B.C ('03 -'04).

4.92/5  rDev +26.8%

One of my favorites beers; have a black color, putting it against the light, there's a reddish very dark color; thefoam is creamy and abundant, looks like ice cream with coke; the smell have essences of prunes, toast malts and blueberries; the taste is exquisite, it's smooth bitter with some coffee, chocolate and blueberries; the mouthfeel is like american coffee; have a great body, a creamy consistency and decent level of alcohol; very good to accompany cookies, and also to take it alone; if i was an english priest, i would always drink this beer.

4.87/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.84/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Awesome

4.82/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look - Deep and dark with darkish thick head
Smell - Rich, pretty complex
Taste. - Wonderful! Coffee, chocolate, maybe hints of some berries?
Feel - Very nice for me. Not too thick, but still cream-like and pleasant.
Overall - Really really good. Slightly dangerous. :P

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

Oh. My. God. This brew is unbelievable.

Purchased for $4.15 a single at Martin Wine Cellar in Metairie, LA (brand new, never seen it before) and so glad I randomly chose to make a Stout expedition because this was amongst the best beers I've ever had.

Poured the brew from the 16.9 oz green bottle into a pint glass. The beer poured black as night with a quickly dissipating tan head that left no lacing.

The smell was potent; the dark chocolate smell is quite evident and it even smells like tannin, though that could very well just be the chocolate since the brew wasn't bitter as one would expect with the tannin smell. Roasted coffee and malts make an appearance as well, but the chocolate overrides everything.

Oh, the taste. This blend of roasted malts, chocolate, and burnt grain mix together beautifully and create the quintessential stout taste. There is a bit of a molasses and slight, slight, slight bitter tannin or licorice or something aftertaste with just a tad of hops to wash it down. Super complex and super delicious.

With almost no carbonation, the beer felt delicious on the palate. It lead to a tremendously drinkable brew where 16.9 oz wasn't nearly enough. Despite the jet-black appearance, it's neither thick nor heavy and goes down so smoothly. As I find it hard to say what the best beer I've ever had is between styles, I can without a doubt say that this is one of the single best beers I've ever had - certainly the best in this style - thus the high rating. Highly, highly recommended.

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

This is by far one of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of
drinking.
Start with the aroma...hints of mocha and coffee, subtle yet present.
It has the smooth, easy drinking texture quintessential to a cream stout, without being overly heavy. And then, the taste. Never being obnoxiously sweet, flavors
reveal themselves subtely and eloquently...with hints of cocoa, expresso, and cream working themselves ever so lovingly over your
tongue. Very drinkable, all in all, and were it not for the price ($6 dollars/btl), I feel like this would make an easy session beer.
In my opinion, among the very best in character, flavor, and drinkability.

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

Where has this beer been all my life? I just recently discovered St. Peter's Cream Stout and thank (insert deity) I did.

Poured in the glass with minimal head. This beer absorbed light like a black hole. Dark chocolate and coffee aromas and taste. Nice mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. VERY delicious and VERY drinkable.

A very tasty beer that I plan to do a homebrew knockoff of very soon.

4.78/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served in a Chimay Golden Goblet

A : Pours a dark black, the head looks oily and tan. It's about 1 finger.

S :Very rich, smells like a coffee flaovored heavy merlot.

T :Smooth and sweet. Creamed toffee coffee meets deep fruit.

F : Smooth with a thick texture with mild fizz.

O : I freaking love this beer and I will it drink often from now on. Some stouts go nuts with the coffee tones but this is perfect to me. So smooth and creamy.

Photo of
4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

You had this beer. Write a review.

St. Peter's Cream Stout from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd