St. Peter's Cream Stout | St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002

Ratings: 1,048 |  Reviews: 620
3.72/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from fat pint light brown bottle into pub glass.

A: Pours awkwardly. Rushes out of bottle and fizzes like soda. I thought the head would dissipate immediately for how fizzy it was, but to my surprise it receded to a thin layer and splotched a cap. Color is accurate and nice with a opaque dark brown to black.

S: Smells clean, roasted malts and chocolate are present. Other than that very little can be made out.

T: Bitter chocolate and roasted malts are present throughout sip, but strong towards finish. An odd sweetness enters the palate at first but gets warmed away with sip. Not offensive, but inviting.

M: Medium to heavy body. Carbonation is good as it was held in check. Good warming. A little alc bite.

3.51/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark, near black color with crimson highlights around the edges. A nice large toasted tan head sits on top leaving nice lacing.
Aromas begin with bitter/roasted espresso beans, then you get some cocoa and chalky bitter dark chocolate as well. That distinctive English breadiness is also present.
The tastes begin with a deep bitter chocolate and darker caramel flavors. There is a pretty dry almost woody finish that lingers for a bit. Flavors are dominated by some dry coffee with some roasted malt.
Mouthfeel is medium with ample carbonation. Body is somewhat creamy, but for a cream stout it could really use some more pop here.
Overall a good beer but not top of the class for me. Not enough of that yummy lactose milky/creaminess you get in other better examples, like Lancaster which is still tops in my book. Good but not great.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Black with just the faintest glow of ruby when held to the light-appears relatively clear though nearly opaque due to dark color. Medium brown color head is of densely packed tiny bubbles and has decent retention.

Aroma-Sweet and roasty, with notes of caramel, toasted bread, cream, chocolate, and light coffee. Toasted bread actually stands out the strongest, and there's the faintest hint of diacetyl which contributes to the roundness of the aroma. Hops are absent. Smells sweet and nourishing.

Flavor-Sweet caramel first, before chocolate sets in in the midpalate, along with toasted bready flavors. Finish is moderately dry, with roast and light espresso coming through, though sweetness lingers long into the aftertaste before being overtaken by the roast. There's also a hint of sour/acidic character to the flavor, but this is quite low, and only serves as a point of complexity. Bitterness is medium low, and only makes itself known in the finish.

Mouthfeel-Medium to medium full body, and moderate carbonation, which is soft and pleasant. The mouthfeel is very smooth and almost silky.

A classic in the sweet stout category, and I can see why. The aroma and the flavor are both mellowly sweet with just enough roast to balance and make me believe that it is in fact a stout. Delicious and smooth-I love it.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%

1 Pint .9 fl oz bottle from total wine served cold split between 2 pint glasses to share

A- Dark (almost cherry) black with tan fluffy head from pour dissipates to foam ring without much lacing.

S- malt sweetness creeping with slight chocolate and dry alcohol, light scented.

T- Hoppy acidity at front with roasty malt and alcohol. Background fruity flavor. Lactose sweetness keeps all bitter balanced; slight coffee in after taste.

M- Carbonation bubbles at the beginning and maintain creamy medium body feel ending on dry note.

O- With 6.5% Abv this is a great pint if you only have time for one, but it's flavor is not tiring on the palate. tasty cream stout with unique flavors which make up for the smell.

had from bottle brough from asdas.
Was not sure about this at first coz other st peters brews i though were a bit on the watery side & did't want this to be as stouts are my fav style of beer!.

Pour was dark with some brown to it, small to no head but thats a norm with most strong stouts.

Taste was nice & creamy with coffee notes not to overpowering! Smooth & milky.

Overall i was surprised how gd this was! A nice solid stout that i will be having again & again.

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown that quickly built into a thick three finger head. No lace to be seen as the foam descends. Ruby highlights in the sides of the glass.

No noticeable carbonation. The cap has slowly fallen to a soapy one finger head. As I look at the body I notice how great it is, a great opaque coffee body.

Nose: Very light malt smell, as in almost not there. It seemed almost like bread malts for a second, but it’s gone just as fast. Also some caramel malt sweetness here, like as in toffee, but very subtle. Coffee notes maybe?

Definitely not noticing chocolate notes. The fact that “subtle” was used to describe the nose on a stout means this beer has not done its job.

Taste: Thank goodness this thing tastes so damn good! Finally, here is the sweetness from the chocolate flavor meshing with hints of caramel and roasted coffee. The earthy hop bitterness is not in the finish as the bottle suggests. It is more in the middle of the palate, almost the first thing you taste really.

The bread malt on the nose is not here. Doesn’t St. Peter’s realize their name sake is the patron saint of bakers, as in bread? The drink would also be better off if the hop bitterness lasted through the finish as the bottle suggests. Small, small criticisms though, as this really does tastes quite good.

Mouth feel: It’s a creamy, medium body finish with the alcohol definitely coming through, warming the throat and the belly. No lingering bitterness here drying it up. It would be a nice addition to the finish. However, it’s still a good mouth feel.

Overall: It is a very good stout, and the sweetness bill on the palate is well done. Fix the nose on this thing, add some more malt to go with the sweetness, and dry up the finish, then the drink would be incredibly hard to put down.

As it stands, it is still a very worthy cream stout. And one that should be tried if found sitting in your local brew store.

A: Pours a dark brown/black color with a hint of purple. The head starts off pretty deep brown/tan color then fades into a nice tan. The head sticks around and leaves a decent amount of lacing.

S: Has hints of sweet notes with a nice background of grain and nuts.

T: Starts with some sweet notes with hints of fruit/sweetness in the background. The flavor moves into a nice malty finish and aftertaste.

M: A decent amount of chew to it, but not too much.

O: Overall the beer was pretty good. It looked great coming out of the bottle, but didnt pack to much with its aroma. The taste was pretty good, with the best part being the malty after taste. I'd recommend checking out this beer.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - This beer pours a very dark brown color. It has a nice 2-finger light tan head on it. The head has great retention and leaves some lace behind.

S - It smells toasty with some light coffee scents. There are also some notes of chocolate and a bit of hops.

T - There is a nice roasted malt and coffee flavor. It has flavors of chocolate and caramel sweetness. There is a mild bitterness that comes in near the finish.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has a smooth velvety feel to it. The flavors are soft and there is a slight bitterness at the finish.

D - This has good drinkability. It has a real smooth creamy feel to it that just makes it go down very easily. Overall, I thought this was a really nice beer. I haven't had many milk stouts, but I really enjoyed this. I would drink it again.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a bottle to a pint pub glass.

Huge creamy 2" head on a sea of lovely opaque chocolate brown.

Smell immediately the warm chocolate with slight vanilla coffee, almost a caramel scent.

Taste was incrediable smooth. Couldn't help but notice a dry vanilla finish. Delightful for a stout. Will buy again although won't share it with my husband.

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

500 mL green bottle (though not the trademark St Peter's shape) poured into a pint glass/tumbler.

A: thick, foamy head of light brown, 3-finger thickness. Even with a slow pour, I had to wait before the entire bottle into the glass. The beer underneath is cola/black in colour--even held up to the light, there is not much transparency. A beautiful beer.

S: upon first pour/sniff, there is a mild but very pleasant and very present fruity essence--a hint of cherries, with a bit of cream sherry alcohol and a teentsie bit of cocoa.

T: exceptionally smooth and creamy, very sweet and rich but not overpowering--this is a delightful beer. I was surprised that I did NOT pick up a more roasted flavour, but that is my only complaint about this stout.

M: again very creamy and smooth--great stuff!

O: I really enjoyed this beer--it was a great treat after my 21-mile hike today. :)

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

Aggressive pour yields a three finger tan head, opaque brown body.

Smell is distinctively British, with some vanilla and chocolate and the deep stouty smell one would expect.

Taste is quite mild, yet bold (if that makes sense) and again, *very* British. Vanilla and nut take over the end, a bit toasty and biscuity on the front. Almost drinks like a vanilla cola.

Mouthfeel is creamy-- substantial but not very carby.

Overall, a very characteristic British stout, and a good example of the style. Sweetish and malty, very biscuity. If you're an English dark beer fan, yes. If you're looking for a drier Irish stout (I wasn't) pass.

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%

First had: bottle from Total Wine, Cherry Hill, NJ

Poured into a Leffe goblet, a dark brown-black with not quite a finger of light brown head that receded to a patchy layer. Good aroma, though not very pronounced as I'd imagined it would be; roasty malts and coffee beans, with some hints of dark chocolate. Taste was not what I expected either. Subtle caramel, pumpernickel, bitter dark chocolate and coffee...citrusy notes (?). Much more bitter than is typical for a stout, with a lingering aftertaste, and a finish perhaps more suited to a dry stout. Medium mouthfeel, a lot lighter than it seems it should be; drinkable, but not quite something I'd go out of my way for.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

a - a pretty dark red brown. pours nicely, formed an 1 1/2" nutty brown head with little lacing. Lots-o-carbonation. Almost looks like a cola.

s - warm soft pretzels and a warm glass of milk up front. followed bysubtle dark cocoa, trace roasted nuts finish.

t - very complex taste so its difficult to disect. I get the cocoa in the front but the bitter dry is in the back. Milky sweet throughout with the deffinate nutty taste of roasted hops on top.

m - once again I have to reference cola, light to medium body goes down fast. This bottle could quite literally vanish before your eyes! Possibly a touch too much carbonation, but just like 10 or 11 bubbles.

o - very tasty and refreshing easy drinker. my only real compaint is with the price tag, at $6 USD this beer is too expensive for me to like any more than this.

2.74/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass--nice thick brown head, almost black body. Head largely dissipates pretty quickly, but enough stays. This is a good looking beer.

A nice, toasted smell comes through. Looks and smells good. Looking forward to the tasting, so here goes...

A bit disappointing. Sour to start, then bitter. Coffee and dark chocolate hints at the end, but not enough to save this taste--it's, well, okay. It's layered and complex, but depth doesn't substitute for quality.

Which leads us to mouthfeel, which is lacking. It's watery and acrid. The balance is off--if this were a more traditional milk stout (or cream stout), it wouldn't be quite as tart, but unfortunately, it isn't.

I'm having trouble finishing the one bomber I started. I can't imagine trying to down another. In fact, this beer may have ruined me for the night. Was worth a try and had high hopes, but that's where it ends.

I know I have had this beer before… but I don’t recall where. Or when. I knew as soon as I saw the bottle I had sipped on this brew… but again, I have no recollection of enjoying it. Or maybe I had too many and just can’t remember anything from that night!

Either way, the beer looks great in the class. It doesn’t have much of a head, and looks thick in the glass. But rumor has it this beer doesn’t drink like a typical stout. This is a “traditional” stout. Whatever that means. I do know that Guinness is a traditional stout… and I hate that beer. So I hope this beer is better. It smells better than a Guinness. Then again, a Guinness doesn’t smell (or taste) like much of anything.

There is an immediate rush to the front of your palate. Then it trickles to the back of the tongue and just sits there for a few minutes. Then fireworks go off inside your mouth as a refreshing smoothness overcomes you. It’s like going over that first hill on big fast roller coaster… in the front seat no hands! You know what I’m talking about!

The aftertaste then dies down a little, and sits there like an after dinner mint would. I always liked getting those when we used to go to Shoney’s growing up. They were half mint… half chocolate. I never knew which side I liked best, so I would just go all in.

There is NO carbonation at all. I like that, but at the same time it scares me. If a beer doesn’t have any carbonation, that means it’s drinkable. So I could just sit here and drink until the cows come home. (This is actually a milk stout… and I made a cow reference. Not on purpose at all. I promise!)

This is a good beer. I wonder if they have this on tap anywhere around here? I wonder if that would add that level of carbonation I am looking for.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a pint bottle...

Appearance: Dark chocolate with a 1 finger light coffee brown head and lots of carbonation.

Smell: Strong sweet caramel and chocolate malt notes.

Taste: An amazingly balanced stout with plenty of carbonation to make this drinkability beyond most and a flavor complex enough to keep one sipping. Creamy malted notes keep you thinking.

Mouthfeel: Looks full but drinks with a medium body and plenty of crisp carbonation.

Overall: I'm not heavy on stouts but this is a perfectly balanced attempt at a cream stout. A great starting point for anybody interested in the style!

3.41/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours black with a paper thin offwhite head that fades qucikly. Carbonation is prevalent, and bubbles line the glass up and down. The lack of head was disappointing

S- super strong smell of chocolate, with the lacto sweetness up in there too. Fantastic stuff

T- it's...really bitter? Most milk stouts are really sweet. This one is the total opposite, and I'm not sure how to feel about it. Has more of a stouty chocolate taste to it as opposed to a milk stouty chocolate taste. I don't necessarily mind it, it's just odd. It almost has hints of an infection to it, because I'm getting a lot of cherry flavors...

M- body is really thick and creamy, as you'd expect

O- do all bottles have this...odd flavor to them? If so, I'm not a huge fan. If not, I need a non-infected bottle to try

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Haven't had this beer for some time...so my memory may be a little foggy on this one but they no longer sell it where I bought it so I cannot obtain it anymore. Regardless- it has a unique bottle, looks very home made in appearance. I really enjoyed the flavor on this one, as well the mouth feel. It was heavy but extremely smooth. Sweet in all of the right places with raisin type sweetness. I could also taste of chocolate. A much more friendly stout compared to others who do not like the more agressive stouts. It is among my top beers that I have had, highly recomended.

2.84/5  rDev -26.8%

As an extreme enthusiast of sweet stouts, I was very eager to try one of the more popular sweet stouts that I hadn't tried. I was more or less disappointed. To be fair, this was a quality ale, just not to my taste.

A- Poured a solid black body with a two-finger mocha head. Relatively good retention and lacing as well.

S- Really unexpected. Sweet raisin, plum, burnt brown sugar, cheap cola, and faint cherries. The smell of alcohol was quite distinct as well.

T- Basically identical to the smell. Raisin and plum-like flavors immediately, followed by a hint of roasted malt. The sting of alcohol is present in the aftertaste.

M- Very creamy and smooth. Could be a bit less carbonated.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a pitch black with medium head. Smells of lactate since I'm assuming that's what they added since it's a sweet stout. It's sweet so there is no alcohol taste even though it's only 6.5 percent ABV so there shouldn't really be any alcohol taste to begin with. It's a nice smooth stout and the creaminess adds a whole another texture. It's a nice change from the usual immense stouts I drink.

2.67/5  rDev -31.2%

I was expecting quite a bit as I'm a huge fan of their porter, which is just scrumptious.

The nose of this stout is raisin with a hint of dried, sweet citrus.

Pours near black with a small head that doesn't linger very long.

Taste is alcohol backbone with a slight sweetness and the heat from that alcohol is what stands out. I've tasted American stouts that are twice as smooth and flavorful for the abv here(out of bounds and a few others come to mind). I'm not impressed here. It seems as if their porter will be the only 'go-to' beer from this brewery for me. A bit too sour in the aftertaste... I may have to revisit once just to make sure this isn't dated, but I purchased it from a high volume sales craft beer store(riverside bev in chatt, tn).

Supremely disappointed considering what I could've bought with this 4 bucks. Let's hear it for the good ol' u.s.a. - who has proven they are the new stout kings of the planet. This watery, alcohol ridden, oversweet-mess can stay on the other side of the pond for all i care. I just can't get over the sourness of this beer. It's like someone took a good American stout and poured a Coor's Light silver bullet into it...

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%

A - The beer pours with one finger of medium brown foam on top of a black body with clear, amber highlights.

S - Sweet aromas of licorice and molasses. Strange, fruity notes of caramel and banana with a hint of cherry.

T - Fruity notes of bittersweet chocolate up front with some caramel and cola. More molasses in the middle along with a bit of licorice. The moderately dark, sweet sugary character continues through the finish with more molasses and cola notes that are balanced my light bitterness and a hint of roast character.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Dark and fairly complex with a low level of roasted character. There is a distinct note of licorice present throughout that blends well with the molasses like malt. Some roast character does finally come out in the finish with a light coffee note that helps to balance out the significant sweetness. Not bad, but like everything else that I have had from St. Peter's I can't help but think that many other breweries make a better version of the same beer.

3.05/5  rDev -21.4%

Appearance: This beer is a little darker than a Cola drink. The head is one finger; it only lasts a few seconds. Lacing is minimal.

Aroma: Mostly burnt malt, some coffee and notes of baker’s chocolate, it has the aroma of a standard milk or cream stout.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, the carbonation allows this beer to become thicker if you let it linger in the mouth.

Taste: Malt, plain coffee, and a bit of chocolate.

Overall: This beer is not overly special, at about $5 per bottle it's better to just stick with a $10 four pack of some other cream stout, nice bottle and labeling but overall not worth its price.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

poured from bottle into pint glass

A - pours a dark chocolatey brown which is expected from a stout. nice large cream colored head that stuck around for a bit and left behind a small bit of lacing.

S - smells of dark roasted malts and a nice sweet chocolate aroma with just a very, very small hoppy finish.

T - what a complex brew... the roasted malts are apparent and the cream comes through nicely with a nice chocolate flavor as well. maybe just a smidgen of brown sugar in there somewhere as well.

M - great mouthfeel. proper carbonation and a pleasant stickiness.

D - somewhat low due to the complexity and overall heavy nature of the beer.

O - this is one helluva stout. take whatever means necessary to acquire one of these and try it as soon as possible.

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Pours dark brown with a 1 finger tight bubbled head that tan in color.

S - Sweet roasty malt, raisins, toasted toffee.

T - Roasted malt, bitter cocoa, coffee grinds, oxidized raisins, hints of licorice, balancing hop bitterness on the end.

M - Smooth, full bodied, good carbonation.

Very enjoyable stout. Good roast and balance. It's on the dry side but is very balanced.

St. Peter's Cream Stout from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd