St. Peter's Cream Stout | St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002

Ratings: 1,048 |  Reviews: 620
3.8/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This poured an opaque brown/black with no head. It smelled like chocolate and raisins with some vanilla and malt. Its flavor was strong coffee bitterness with roast malt for balance. It was oily with no carbonation, and its aftertaste was mild at first but grew more bitter over time. Overall this was not the most flavorful stout, and wasn't very different from their porter, but it was still decent.

3.09/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearance: Pours a thin dark coffee brown, nearly black, with a 1+ finger head of dense hot-chocolate-colored foam that leaves moderate amounts of fine lacing and has above-average retention.

Smell: A combination of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and espresso with a hint of raisins and a twinge of alcohol.

Taste: Pretty much the same as it smells. Dominant flavors are roasted grains and coffee, with hints of chocolate and a touch of raisins. The malt body has a bit of a burnt flavor to it, and the alcohol is a touch too pronounced. Nothing spectacular here. Rather one dimensional.

Mouthfeel: Mildly astringent and sharp on the tongue, a little more carbonated than what I would have preferred for this style. I'm searching for a smoothness/creaminess that I'm not finding. Feel is a little thin and watery overall, but not bad by any means. Warming alcohol sensation greets the stomach.

Drinkability/Overall Impression: Fairly easy-to-drink. The type of beer that you could enjoy with a hearty meal and not have to concentrate too much on (allowing you instead to focus on the food).

Overall I can't say I hated it, but there was something about it that was a little "off"; I can't quite put my finger on it, but the raisin-y characteristics were both unexpected and unwanted, and it just wasn't as smooth as I would have hoped for a sweet/milk stout.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown/black with a short and sort of thin tan colored head that laces the glass somewhat but not as much as I would have expected for a stout. The aroma is of sweet malts and some very faint chocolate and cream flavors at the end. The taste is the same. A very rich and sweet malty backbone underneath layers of faint cream, chocolate, and toffee and then a little bit of burnt malt in there as well. A complex taste, but not as creamy as I was hoping for. The mouthfeel is good with a very fresh and creamy feel to it. The drinkability is pretty good as I could have another one of these.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Completely black (I can't even see through it) with a rich, tan head. Leaves plenty of lacing.

S: It has toasty grains and a little chocolate with a warm, sweet cream smell. A very inviting aroma.

T: Very smooth grains and then a raisins and cream sweetness comes in, all finished with a coffee and grains taste. Though it is a milky stout, there's plenty of sharp bitterness that comes through.

M: Definitely not too much carbonation, with a medium body and a moderate finish. I would have liked a heavier body, but things could be a lot worse.

D: A very easy to drink stout. As I drink it, I like it more and more. It's a little filling to have much more than one bottle, but definitely something to enjoy over a longer sitting.

2.89/5  rDev -25.5%

Eye: Looks great as it is poured into my pint glass. Color is a dark enough brown to almost be called black. Head is a creamy tan/light brown in appearance, has good retention and leaves some above average lacing.

Nose: Roasted grains and some chocolate make up the aroma of this brew. Maybe some burnt character in there as well. The milk/sweet aroma is present but is real subdued, also some smoky aroma here, reminds me kinda like the smell of chicken wrapped in bacon with a plastering of spinach ...weird huh? Yeah, whatever that aroma is, I don't find it pleasing-I guess I could describe it as a cooked vegetable type aroma, I think that is what I am really smelling in there that is so unpleasing. There are good aromas there but this off aroma just ruins it for me.

Tongue: First thing I notice here is a metallic tang, then near the end, in the finish, a hint of that cooked vegetable again. I will not deny it, I am not enjoying this beer. There are also some roasted and chocolate flavors here as well. Small hints of residual sweetness.

edit: the more I drink this the less I get that vegetable taste near the finish, the aroma however, is always there. Maybe I'm getting used to the taste, or maybe its just my head playing with me. The fact remains though, that I still am not enjoying this brew.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Despite the fact that I don't enjoy the flavor of this beer, it still has a good mouthfeel, spot on for what this style should be. It is creamy and velvet-like on the palate. Carbonation is lower as not to take away from the smoothness of the beer. Finish is somewhat dry with a hint of roasted/black grains. This is a beer I will not buy again, ever. It is just not for me. Every time I go to take a sip that aroma I can only describe as "cooked vegetable" makes me want to gag. I am just not into this milk stout. However, it does look appetizing and it also has a great mouthfeel.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Pours a very dark reddish brown, almost coffee color with a thin cherry red head.

S: Roasted malt on nose.

T: Huge and I do mean huge coffee grind flavor, that is very rich and very dark. Drinks like a cold coffee. Earthy hop bitterness but is the big coffee lacing that makes this beer stand out. Finishes with a dark coffee bitterness on tongue that is very dry.

M: Some creaminess in mouthful but is very smooth going down.

D: Very rich dark and enjoyable for fans of this style.

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%

This is an excellent Cream Stout in the traditional genre. Obtained from the bottle, it poured pitch black with a nice head. Flavors were initially watery, but finished well with chocolate and roasted malts. The aftertaste was excellent and further defined the flavors.

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Jerusalem Tavern in London...

this was hyped up to me.. and fell a tad short

A: Dark dark brown with a cream head which had some staying power.

S: Roasted malts and milkyness... not terribly exciting

T: A tad bitter as the roasted malts are overpowering and not balanced.

M: A tad thin for a stout

O: One and done... not interested in a second, but it was decent while it lasted

3.66/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

500ml Bottle

I got this as an extra from Kempleton, thanks Andrew. I haven't drank anything from St. Peter's in awhile and just noticed they have round bottles now instead of those medicine bottles they used to use. I thought those medicine bottles were cool as hell, I'm a little disappointed.

St. Peter's Cream Stout enters the glass the darkest of brown with chestnut highlights when backlit. A dense creamy ecru head grew to two fingers on the pour. It eventually fell to a thick one finger cap and left great chunky lace on its way down. An impressive looking stout for sure.

The smell is full of roasted grains and a lactic quality. The roastiness far outweighs the lactic. There's not a whole lot of complexity here but there is some complimentary bakers chocolate sprinkled on top of the roastiness.

There's a heavy hand of roasted graininess throughout. There's a lactic whisper mid-palate and quickly after some bittersweet chocolate. While the flavor is good there just seems to be a little more roasty bitterness than I'd like. A touch more sweetness for better balance would be more my style.

This is medium bodied with a touch of graininess. While I think the mouthfeel could use a touch more body the present mouthfeel makes the drinkability slightly higher.

The drinkability is actually pretty good on this beer. Nothing seems overbearing and in good balance. The body keeps this an easy drinker.

I've sampled this beer in the past (but a long time ago) and it seems better than remembered. A quality stout I wouldn't mind picking up occasionally.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Bottle poured into a pub glass.

Very black-impermeable to light with a paler head than expected. A nice head, though, a solid two inches with a pretty gentle pour. Does recede quickly and leaves a splotchy lace. A good looking stout.

Smell is an overload of caramel and chocolate grain. Some coffee, actually a good amount of coffee aroma, and some earthy hops.

An incredibly smooth coffee dominates the taste at the beginning followed by a sweet, raisiny-caramel taste and a dry, roasted barley finish. The longer I allow this to pool up on my tongue, the more defined the raisin becomes and I'm now tasting date as well. Good hop combo for this moderately complex stout; Fuggles and Challengers- Plenty bitter to balance the huge coffee and caramel flavors. I like it!

Carbonation is just right, a slight bite on the tip of the tongue. Pretty smooth mouthfeel overall, not outstanding but as solid as the rest of the brew. Dry finish.

I might not drink more than two or three of these in a sitting, it's pretty heavy and sort of a sipper because of the rampant flavors thrashing around in the glass. This one is better savored in small doses.

Good stuff that I will certainly buy again. Right away? No, but at some point, yes. Buy one.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

1 pint, 0.9 fl oz cyndrilcal bottle copped singly from Bottle King in Parsippany... I heard a lot of good things about St. Peter's Cream Stout, so I was hoping it would live up to its hype... had the brewery's Winter Ale, which was absolutely superb, but this one, which, although wasn't bad, failed to leave the same impressive mark on me... Nice jet-black, ebony appearance with a reddish-tan, frothy head... smell, as expected, contained the usual stout-like elements of cocoa notes and latte, but the flavor was average to say the least - taste didn't complement the aroma as I was anticipating... rather bland and watery and dull without too much flavor or that typical creamy, lactose, sugar-sweet flavor... "watered-down" is the best way I can describe it... not too much to brag about here... mouthfeel was decent and drinkability wasn't bad due to the rather modest 6.5% ABV, although I certainly wouldn't make this my session beer for the evening... not bad, worth a try, but I wouldn't break my back seeking this one out...

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

This Milk Stout appears an opaque black with some thin ruby highlights once decanted from its oddly shaped, 16.9oz., pale green bottle. The mocha colored head holds frothy, thick, and creamy and leaves behind a good ring of lace.

The aroma is sweet and creamy with an overall mocha character. Some semi-sweet milk chocolate and a light roastiness greet me initially. Representative of the style, this brew is somewhat mild on the nose but very pleasant. Actually this selection is considerably less sweet than many renditions. Some bitter cocoa and very earthy molasses come through in the end. Very appetizing.

Definitely creamy with a solid roast and plenty of leafy hops. Slightly acidic with lots of bitterness from the roastiness and hops. The bitterness is earthy and deep in flavor with baking cocoa and dark chocolate. A slight amount of smoke is detectable. Actually the smokiness is more like a minor burnt note I'd say. A hint of dark fruit, black strap molasses, and mild but dark coffee round out the flavor. Complex and deep, especially for a Milk Stout to be sure.

Thicker and creamy on the palate with moderate carbonation but a very fine bubble structure that makes for a distinct brightness at first sip. Just a touch of burnt dryness also. Much more complex than at first impression. A masterful rendition of the style. The fact that it's not too sweet either heightens the drinkablity dramatically in my opinion. Extremely tasty overall.

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

caveat: My first cream stout, though after this brew not my last.

Served cold. Poured rich and dark with an inch thick dark khaki foam. Barely any carbonation detected.

Scent of malt, chocolate (subtle but noticeable) and some other scent that I cannot pinpoint (coffee?), but palpable. The scent of this stout is so smoothe.
It made my mouth water.

Initial taste follows the scent. Malts with a subtle hit of chocolate. The chocolate again is not overpowering, but very subtle.

Very heavy on the tongue and yet there is a thick fullness on top. Only a small trail of bitterness in the trail of the swallow.

Let it sit for a few...

The taste is a little subdued, but in a way it became more blended; more refined. Actually, the chocolate notes came to me as a ghost a few moments after the swallow. Maybe my senses had to catch up.
The mouthfeel was totally relaxed - smooth and velvety.

Despite the smoothness, there is a spirit in this stout that I really like - maybe it's the addition of the Challenger and Fuggle hops.
I'll have to research these hops later.

Overall, a very refined stout that I could linger with. Though a bit pricy, my only regret right now is that I did not buy another. Some beers make you want to share with others. This is one of those.

Post Note - After looking at the ratings, there are quite a few that are rated higher. It looks like I'll need to do some more research.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Came in the medicine bottle. Is there any other form? Note to self: these bottles would be great to save for home brewing. Anyway, it poured black as Dr. Pepper with a minimal ring head and some lightly chunky lacing. Aroma is strong on the alcohol esters with an ambience of toasted malt; you can taste the 6.50% ABV. Taste is a bit better than average, and entirely in character for, what you'd expect with this style. Mouthfeel is actually a bit on the thin side. A decent stout, but for the money, I'm hard pressed to say it's better than a draught Guinness or a great domestic stout like Old Rasputin or Big Bear Black Stout.

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beautiful bottle attracted me to it. Made the $4 price a bit easier to swallow. Picked it up at my local beverage center.

A - Poured a pitch black with no light passing through. Head was nice and thick and the lacing was phenomenal as it lasted all the way down clinging each step of the way.

S - Awesome cream stout smell, alive with coffee and Carmel aromas. Hints of chocolate were also noticed.

T - A dark roasted coffee. A wee bit bitter up front followed by nice smooth roasted malts. Not too dry which I found very nice.

M - Like the taste, not too dry but very balanced. Creamy finish with nice carbonation.

D - Excellent beer through and through. Smooth and flavorful, the coffee roasted malts make this truly extraordinary. A true cream stout!

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

I had this one a while ago. First off, love the bottle.

The most noticeable thing I remember from this beer was it's creamy taste and texture. It was like drinking a beer flavored cloud, with some coffee and chocolate mixed in for good measure. And not that cheap chocolate you get in the shape of a bunny around Easter. We're talking quality chocolate. Maybe some rich fruity flavors too, but I couldn't quite tell. I will have to try it again.

3.51/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I was very attracted to the beer because of its classy bottle so I picked it up at the local upscale super market. I was not disappointed. The beer pours a nice deep dark brown with nice thick and creamy tan/brown head. It is gorgeous and the combination of dark beer with quite a dark head makes it seem to me the perfect beer to drink if you are ever invited to sit across from an English professor in a leather armchair in front of a fireplace in his mahogany study/library while smoking a pipe. It smells very warm with a little but of alcoholic wineyness but presence of coffee an darker fruits and darker malts. The taste has strong prune/raising flavors with just a hint of spiciness and a bit of alcohol flavor finished by some malty sweetness. The mouthfeel is definitely thick but more on the syrupy side than the creamy side which is certainly not my preference. Overall I think that the cloying syrupy mouthfeel really detracts from the overall drinkability of the beer.

Overall quite a good stout that is pretty well balanced with the only major detraction being its syrupy mouthfeel. definitely worth picking up if you spot it.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

A: I like the new bottle the beer comes in. When poured into a pint glass, the beer comes out a dark, dark brown. It is almost next to impossible to see the beer and quite thick at that.

S:Upon smelling the beer the first smell that came to me was a Dark chocolate. Though as the smelling goes on, one can smell the sweetness and the smell of cream comes through.

T: This beer taste like a good stout If I had to think of anything I would think of a 70% of higher cocao dark chocolate, almost borderline baking chocolate. This beer over all is a nice cream stout. Once someone shallows the beer though, one can taste the hops.

M: This does remind me of exactly drinking milk. It is thick and creamy, but not too bad. For me it is a little too much like drinking milk.

D: I do respect the beer though it is not a beer I would drink regularly. I would drink from time to time and not in a social high scene.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

pours a pitch black color with a large medium tan head with a easy pour with lots of sticky lace. aromas od dark chocolate, roasted malts, fresh coffee. taste is same but creamy smooth from front to rear of the palate ending in a slight bitterness that is very pleasing. mouthfeel is full bodied with a very light carbonation which adds to the silky smooth feel. price is a little prohibitive otherwise very drinkable.

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%

Typed from notes taken on 26 April 2007:

A: I am disappointed St. Peter has abandoned the old bottle for the new cylindrical one. Thankfully the beer did not change. This looks like the model of a stout: jet black body and a boisterous tan head (nearly three fingers). The head is addled by carbonation but seems to have decent retention.

S: Dark chocolate is the first aroma entering my nostrils. There is a smooth and subtle, creamy-like sweetness in the back of the nose. Malt may be contributing to the sweet aroma.

T: Bitter, almost like baking chocolate, flavor rushes over the palate but this is probably just from real dark cocoa. It is definitely a nice creamy tasting stout. There is a very defined roasty malt taste left behind after a swallow.

M: As I said above, this is a nice creamy stout. It takes a lot to rival Left Hand's Milk Stout but they have done a nice job. There is a slight malty/milky feeling left after swallow but not more than any other milk stout.

D: I am glad I tried this beer but I think I'll wait until winter to get some more of it.

---Update: Well it's winter, time to start buying it up!

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

One pint bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours pitch black with three fingers of tan, fluffy head. Various sized bubbles ranging from tiny to large soap-bubbles. Awesome lacing. This beer looks just the way a stout should.

S: It just smells like alcohol and sweet malts. Not bad, but not terribly impressive.

T: The taste is big and malty, with well-balanced hop bitterness appearing mid-palate. There are faint notes of dark chocolate, black coffee and leather. There is a dry, leathery hop finish. A little alcohol astringency.

M: My first few sips were incredible in the mouthfeel department. It was thicky, chewy, fluffy and slick all at the same time. As it began to warm, however, the fluffiness disappeared, and it just became thick and creamy. Still really good, but not quite as amazing as it had been at first.

D: Solid drinkability. The dryness limits the drinkability somewhat. There are more sessionable stouts out there, but I could put a few of these down without too much struggle.

This is a solid stout, and I'd definitely recommend it to fans of the style

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

St. Peter’s Cream Stout

· Appearance: Pours a beautiful dark brown to black with a thick creamy tan head. Heavy lacing remains as the head subsides.
· Aroma: Roasted coffee, chocolate, and malt aroma.
· Taste: Smokey or Roasty flavor with hints of chocolate and faint hops in the end taste.
· Mouthfeel: Fairly well balanced, you can really sense the roasted characteristics. Suprisingly smooth and very creamy.
· Drinkability: This is a great beer to sit down and savor, full of character.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

A - Pours out of the bottle a solid black colour with a good, solid inch or so of tan head.
S - Big roasty malt aroma at first backed up by some coffee & bitter chocolate notes. Also some dark fruit aromas.
T - Very much like the smell. A light smokey note.
M - Medium bodied with a fairly low carbonation.
D - Very nice beer but at $9AUS a bottle I had to pay there is many other options I'd go to before this again.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Pours a nice deep, dark black with a thick brown head. Lots of lacing on the glass with this one. Very nice.

S: Some coffee, some chocolate, and a bit of fruity sweetness.

T: Similar to the smell - lots of chocolate and coffee in this one, a bit of fruitiness mixed in, but very subtle. Very well-made overall.

M: Smooth, with fairly low carbonation. Nice finish.

D: This is a very drinkable stout. Pretty straightforward, but very tasty and drinkable.

4.34/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours black as night with a big brown head from a really cool bottle. I had to be careful to not overrun my English pint glass...I mean this is a serious head! I took it easy too.

Smells really sweet...mostly molasses, with a hint of chocolate.

Tastes very good. Chocolate, toffee, a hint of coffee. A well balanced hops bite at the finish

Mouthfeel is the best part...silky smooth, thick and syrupy.

Super drinkable...I could have another...Too bad I only bought one. :(

St. Peter's Cream Stout from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd