St. Peter's Cream Stout | St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002

Ratings: 1,048 |  Reviews: 620
3.88/5  rDev 0%

This was my first time trying a St. Peter's product. I've passed them by for years, and I'm glad I finally decided to pick one up. Much better than I anticipated. Pours Black with a nice creamy head that eventuallyfades to a ring. No lacing to speak of. Smell is somewhat sweet and definitely creamy with notes of bittersweet chocolate. Very gentle. The flavor is a bit less gentle, but the mouthfeel is soft and creamy. Great notes of cream, bitter chocolate, a slight roastiness seamlessly integrated. Quite a nice cream stout.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance of this beer was very dark, looking black, with a dark tan head with good lacing. Smell was of sweet chocolate, and some bitter notes. Taste was very sweet at the entry, with good coffee notes at the middle of the palate. It got a bit sweeter as it warmed. Mouthfeel was good, a little more carbonation then I like but didn't take anything away from it. Drinkability is ok, doesn't go down as smooth as I would have liked. Overall this is good stout, and another good offering from this brewery. Will definitely purchase again.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Pours a dark, 2 finger creamy brown head. Great lacing.

Aroma of coffee, and milk chocolate.

Taste reminds me of cold chocolate milk....and that is a good thing! Also some coffee flavor with hops up front.

Mouthfeel has a medium body and very creamy.

Overall, excellent!! Perfect. Amazing. Very drinkable. Sessionable. Glad I have another bottle.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

a: Pours a very generous medium-mocha head on top of a black beer. Very slow recession with pretty good retention and good lacing.

s: Nose dominated by bittersweet chocolate infused with smooth roasted grain, almost cookie like. Plenty of lactose. Subtle, sweet wood smoke extract upon taking a deep inhale. Gentle English hops. Smells delicious. A well constructed aroma, with the various pieces coming together very nicely.

m: medium carbonation and medium-full body...very smooth, thick while maintaining a clean quality

t: Milky chocolates tempered with the light astringency of smooth dark roasts. Turns from a tempered, roasted cocoa sweetness and fullish body on the tongue to pleasantly dry with a moderate bitterness in the earthy roast finish. I've had a few American examples, but I believe this is my first English.

d: a very good, quite flavorful stout

picked up one of the new round bottles since I could be assured it was at least somewhat fresh...Peace Street Market, Raleigh

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a nice dark dark brown with a nice huge light brown head. Really nice head retention. A nice beer to look at.

S: Chocolate, scorched caramel and malty notes.

T: Mmm coffee, toffee, unsweetened chocolate with a hint of molasses. end with a bit of a bitter bite. Very nice indeed.

M: Good -n- creamy. I like it

D: Very drinkable beer. On this the first pretty cold day of the Fall, St. Peter's Stout has a nice hearty warm taste. Tis the season for heavier brew.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

A- Serve from a bottle into a Pint glass. Beer was pretty dark almost no light passing thru the glass, carbonation was minimal and it gave almost a inch and half of head.

S- The aromas coming out of the glass were quite pleasant, chocolate and mild burnt caramel were the most prominent.

T- It taste just like it smells chocolate and caramel are the flavors that are push to the front with a mild level of carbonation, the chocolate states longer in the palate witch in my opinion is never a bad thing; also there was nice lacing going on.

M- The body of the beer itself is heavy but not overwhelming. The carbonation adds a nice touch.

D- I would buy this again without hesitation specially during the winter months.

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

I had my eye on this one for some time and on a lark took it home for inspection. Poured into pint glass ace of spades black. The smell is quite strong or perhaps mybottle was on the shelf for some time but i lost a few nose hairs after moving away. The hopp taste was almost overpowering. Drink this one fast unless you want to experience the strength of the abv as the clock ticks. While very thin and smooth it had elements of carmel syrup. Only for the strong and brave for this one.

3.18/5  rDev -18%

The cream stout poured out nice, looking like liquid black velvet. It had a nice, cream, tan head with good lacing. Nice scent, too, with just hints of chocolate and coffee coming through, but not as much there, or with the usual stout scent, as I excpected. It has a nice taste, creamy and smooth with hints of chocolate. The first few drinks were the best, but it just doesn't seem to hold up over the whole bottle. Feels nice going down, but nothing spectacular there, either. It's worth a try if you like stout, but there are others I'd recommend first.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

1 pint 0.9 fl oz. yellowish green bottle. It's a very interesting color for a beer bottle. I don't think I've seen one this color bottle before. I don't know how well it holds up against the store's lights, but I sure it's better than a clear bottle. It has a small simple gold and purple oval label that has the address of the brewery and their symbol of a crow lifting up one legs with some kind of gold shaped key stuck inside his stomach. I had no idea that crows at keys. That crow must have been desperate to eat a gold key. It must mean something to them, but I have no clue what it could even possibly mean. On the back of the bottle is a square label that's the color as the front label, but this label has a wealth of information. It talks about the history of the style of beer, history of the brewery, the web address, the actual address of the brewery, barcode, US Government warning, refund prices, and a small sample of the tapestry that can be found at the brewery. No date anywhere, but there is some kind of brewery number and time on the neck of the bottle that has no use to the consumer of this beverage.

Appearance: When poured into a Pilsner glass (the only thing I had at the time), the beer is a dark opaque color. Actually giving this beer an opaque color is just a start on what the color really is. I could have also said that it's a motor oil black. Any hella black color where even the slightest bit of light can't penatrate the color is acceptable in my book. Believe me, it is that black! It had a tan colored head of foam that was about half an inch in height. This small head of foam still remained at the top of the beer till the last drop of beer was gone. I also can't forget to mention that every time the level of the beer was lowered, it left behind a few spots and streaks of tan colored lace.

Smell: The aroma of this beer was just chock full of of dark roasted flavors. It was just the aroma I was expecting to get from a beer that's so damn dark. The aroma featured dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, dark roasted malts, roasted espresso beans (more coffee), a pinch of dark roasted malts, and some sweet sweet caramel to finish off this dark roasted orgy of an aroma.

Taste: What taste can I expect from a beer that's black as the night sky (without the aid of stars) and has a dark roasted orgy of an aroma? A big time hoopy beer loaded with citrus fruits? Hell no! It tastes like it looks and smells, dark and dry. The taste starts off with bitter dark chocolate that's followed by dark roasted malts, a few roasted nuts, roasted coffee beans, more roasted coffee beans, and then finishes off with a mild dry roasted taste. Not as dry as an Irish Dry Stout, but pretty close to it. I thought it could have used some of that caramel that was in the aroma, but I guess it was kicked out by all the dark roasted flavors.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel wasn't as thinck as I thought it was going to be. It was more on the light side than anything. I guess that means you're able to drink more of this beer without feeling overwelmed by dark roasted flavors. I guess that's a good thing. Hmmm? What does the aftertaste taste like? If you guessed dark roasted malts, dark roasted coffee beans, and some dark roasted hops, you're right! That was an easy question.

Drinkability: If you like like your beer with tons of dark roasted flavors with a light mouthfeel and it's brewed by a brewery with tons of history to it, then this is your beer. For me, I actually enjoyed this beer. I was expecting a few dark roasted, but that many. It was so good that I might buy this one again and I would like to see what thier other brews will taste like. Even though my bottle was good, I'm still cautious about how the color of the bottle will hold up against the light.

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

Taken from tasting notes:
Decanted cool from a green bottle into a pint. Pours w/ a luxurious 2 finger head made of fluffy tan bubbles. A midnight hued contained withing the flask shaped green bottle is a nice presentation.

A subtle aroma of yeast fruitiness and dark malt pervade this example. A round, soft and modestly full mouthfeel make for excellent quaffability. Cream stout is accurate as malt roastiness and chocolatey sweet ale flavor add to the finish. An excellent example of the cream stout style w/ rich body, luxurious mouthfeel, mocha sweetness and subtle hop spice.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Beer poured a deep , dark brown. Almost black.
Big dark creamy head that hung for a while. Lacing hung on as well.
The aroma was of roasted malts, chocolate and some coffee like characteristics.
Taste was great with the dark malts shining through and highly hopped with a fairly bitter finish. Very creamy and filling.
Mouthfeel was very thick, almost oily.
Good stout.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

(Served in a nonic)

A- This beer is a jet black body with a brown creamy cappuccino head that last and last sticking to the sides of the glass in big clouds. The body is too dense to see any sign of carbonation.

S- This beer has the rich dark smell of black roasted malt with some dark toffee notes. Nice complexity of malts with a cream note.

T- The taste of black roasted malt has a light tartness and a smoked malt flavor. There is a light but pleasant note of band-aid to the smoke but it is covered by a dark toffee and black bitterness from grain. The finish has a soft green hop flavor that lingers with a black malt bitterness and a hint of smoke.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel but it has a creamy texture in the finish. The tight fizz helps clean the dark robust finish.

D- This beer had some nice full flavors but not a great deal of depth. The smoke made me think this was an age-old recipe with wood dried malts. Nice flavor and an interesting twist.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Dark brown with a tan head - good carbonation.

S: Nice roasted malt smell, a bit of hops detected. A hint of coffee perhaps.

T: Coffee and dark chocolate flavors are strong! The coffee is a little overpowering for my taste. Cream flavor is underneath. I would recommend to someone who drinks black coffee at least occasionally (I prefer foo-foo coffee drinks).

M: Pretty astringent and dry - mouth feels a little gross after a drink. Pretty heavy-bodied.

D: Because of the mouthfeel, I can't picture myself drinking a lot of this. But, in all honesty, the carbonation doesn't burn the tongue, and it does go down pretty smooth.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Interesting reading the variety of reviews on this one. It sure does look good, from the throw-back vintage bottle look to the dark licorice-black color with its big light brown head and substantial lacing. The smell also suggests licorice along with some chocolate and brown sugar. I find it quite true to its name upon first sampling. Although a little "lighter" than I expected, it had a frothy, creamy feel full of sugary licorice and brown sugar. The taste matches the aroma in my book and its pretty good. But I do find this one a bit too sweet and I don't pick up the malt quality I would like. About half through this mugfull I opted for some mild cheddar cheese and it really brought this beer around, and made the cheese taste better than usual, as well! There is a decided smoke finish that becomes more prominent as you go. I like it but I'm not sure that the cheese might be a necessary accessory. Like most all St. Peters stuff, worth a try and I will be happy to do the Cream Stout & cheese extravaganza again any time.

2.33/5  rDev -39.9%

I was excited about this one- it was a great looking brew on the pour- velvety black with a nice tan head and great aromas- bittersweet chocolate, cool clean malts and a hint of toasted bread. The actual taste was another story- flavors were weak and extremely unappetizing. The malts were not present, snor was there any sweet creaminess, or body to speak of- the body was surpisingly light and watered down. The flavor of burnt chocolate permeated the entire beer from beginning to end- the only departure was a bitter hop splash at the end which could not save this harsh stout. I'll stick to my Mackeson's.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

A - I love St. Peter's old fashioned bottles! It looks like something from medieval England (note: the label on the back states that this bottle is a replica of one made in 1770 Thomas Gerrard of Gibbstown, which is near Philadelphia...ok, so it's not medieval or British but it's still frickin' cool). Anyhow, this pitch black brew shows some lighter brown highlights and puts up a nice two finger creamy light brown head. Tons of sticky brown lace sticks to the glass. The head recedes to a bubbly collar and haze while the sticky lace solidifies on the sides of my glass. Swirling brings back a fat finger and a half of solid creamy head.

S - I could smell rich chocolate and marshmallow as soon as I opened this one, and those aromas intensify as I stick my nose in the glass. I smell rich creamy chocolate milk, malted milk balls, Raisinets candy, cappuccino, Hershey's chocolate syrup, and Count Chocula cereal with whole milk. This smells great!

T - Rich milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and dark roast espresso. Much more bitter and roasty than the nose suggests, and it's not as sugary sweet as I thought it would be. Barky, woody, earthy, and very roasty for a milk stout. A bit too roasty and bitter IMO...but it's still a damn good stout.

M - This is on the lighter side of medium bodied, but it is creamy enough to give the illusion of a fuller body. Carbonation is tingly at first, then creamy after a few seconds. The finish is bitter and roasty like straining thick espresso through your teeth, and the aftertaste really coats your mouth and sticks with you. I have a feeling that I'll be getting random flashes of flavor later today.

D - This is a damn fine stout that doesn't quite fit the cream/milk/sweet category IMO, but is excellent nevertheless. Really, who cares what style it fits into if it's good, right? This is tasty, but a bit too hardcore to be sessionable. I would definitely pick this up again, but it's a little on the pricey side.

Note: This is my 400th beer review! Holy crap I drink a lot of beer!

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

This offering pours a dark brown almost black leaving a thick creamy head that sits on top of the beer and clings to the side. The aroma is vanilla, coffee, chocolate, cookies, very nice sweet aroma. The taste is syrupy, great mouthfeel, the flavor moves to chocolate, vanilla, and so sweet and delicious, a slight hop profile, that finishes bland. But this is a solid cream stout, syrupy, coffee, toffee, caramel, great beer.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

A surprisingly good stout from a very decent established brewery. A chocolate black appearance with creamy black head. Bittersweet taste that is balanced. Overall better more enjoyable that the Guinness for Belgiums the night before. Medium plus mouthfeel, understated carbonation.Nicely hopped.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a deep black color with a nice and foamy brown head. Aroma is smooth and roasty with some hints of chocolate. Taste is much of the same. Starts out smooth and somewhat sweet and more of a chocolate flavor comes out at the back of the tongue, along with a decent dryness. A second sip confirms much of the same. There are decent hints of chocolate and coffee.

I feel that this stout is somewhat too bitter in areas. Not as smooth as I hoped as well. Still not too bad but not quite what I had read about in other reviews.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours jet black with dark crimson flecks – large, brown, rocky / foamy head. Thick lacing is left behind. Aroma is a complex potion of red wine, musk, milk chocolate, toffee, and earth / dust. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and fizzy. Flavor is deeply earthy and sour – coffee, grass, red wine – with a sweet undertone of milk chocolate, molasses, squash, and tomato. Dark cocoa in the finish; aftertaste is warm, dry, and lightly bitter.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

St. Peter's has discontinued the distribution of the oval bottles that we've all come to love so much and if fact first drew me to this beer. Disappointing as it is, let's try and continue...

What a great looking beer. The body pours an absolute opaque; solid darkness gives this beer the appearance of weighing 20 lbs. The head could build to 7 fingers if you let it, but at a controlled pour 2 fingers is easily achieved. The head rises and acts the doppelganger to frothed chocolate mousse.

The smell is warm and inviting. Coffee wins by a landslide followed by chocolate in second with vanilla and alcohol (vanilla extract?) fight for third.

The fuggle hops are mild enough to give this brew a strong back and helps to balance while hiding behind the coffee/dark chocolate barley malt taste. There is more alcohol taste than you expect from the aroma, but its there, though it dissipates towards the end of the beer, solving its own dilemma. An unpleasant metallic aftertaste appears at the end and is responsible for the lower taste score.

Excellent mouthfeel as is expected of a cream stout.

Its good enought that I get one once in a while, but its kinda strong (and this is coming from a guy who drinks Victory's Stormking regularly--god I love it.) The alcohol could be better masked somehow. The after taste is pleasant, but goes unappreciated in the initial cold beginning.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Drank this from the distinctive green St. Peter's Brewery bottle. I tried this once, a couple years ago, with mixed results, and I'm ready to give it another whirl. Poured into a standard pint glass. Thin, off-white head that dissipated fairly quickly. Nice smells of dark roasted coffee, some toasted grains, a touch of syrup. Not too complex, but not bad. Taste is really centered around the bittersweet coffee. Some molasses in there, too. Good, clean finish to it. Mouthfeel is the appropriate creaminess for a good stout. Not super thick, but not watery at all. Definitely an above-average stout. Nice, balanced flavors and aromas. Very pleasant to drink. Well worth checking out.

4.01/5  rDev +3.4%

Date code of 6331. Thought I hadn't had this but here's goes a 2nd take on this stout:

Pours jet black with 1 finger of tan/mocha colored head. Minimal lacing & no head retention

S: Roasted grains & hint of iron

T: Dryness & roasty grains up front. Iron & lactic notes follow as this warms. Finishes with hints of coffee & iron, plus a bit of chocloate & dryness

MF: Rich & creamy

Drinks pretty easy for than the ABV, this is much better than first sample!

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

A pitch black liquid fills the glass, clearly announcing "I am a stout." Nice cocoa shades in the head. Ever so slightly bubbly. Head is smallish after a rough pour, but the cap sticks around for a while.

Chocolate, black licorice and a hint of vanilla on top. Some milk and cream like scents under that. Some spices, cinnamon maybe. Slightly vinous and slightly floral. Impressive, but seems to lack depth.

A root beer like sweetness hits the tongue first. Medium bodied with a slightly astringent finish. Notes of coffee and espresso, chocolate. A bit of a creamy texture. Good, but not great.

Lacks depth all the way around in the end, which just means it could be better. All in all though, it's pretty easy drinking stout. Easy to enjoy, without having to devote full attention in order to get the most out of it.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

First off, I love the packaging for this brewery's products. The old-school flask-style bottle just makes my beer-drinking day. I poured this beer into a Guinness tulip and it filled it just right to the brim with about an inch of foamy tan head over a dark black beer with dark red at the edges. The head slipped away pretty quickly leaving some slippery lacing behind. Not very sticky.

There are some bitter hop notes in the nose paired with big licorice and backed by some malty sweetness and a bit of coffee. A bit of alcohol, too.

The taste is superb. Strong and bitter with nicely balanced hops and big roasted coffee flavor, again with a slightly sweet malty undercurrent. Leaves a nice finish behind that lingers for a while that is also slightly bitter.

There's a little carbonation and some harshness in the mouthfeel that hurt this beer, but overall the drinkability is pretty good. I wish this was more readily available (I got one of the last bottles at the liquor store). Over a lovely beer.

St. Peter's Cream Stout from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd