St. Peter's Cream Stout | St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd
England, United Kingdom
stpetersbrewery.co.uk

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

'Fuggles' and 'Challenger' hops plus a blend of 4 local barley malts create an aromatic, robust, dark chocolate cream stout with a satisfying bittersweet aftertaste. Brewed with skill and patience in one of Britain's finest small breweries.

St. Peter's Brewery is located in a medieval hall in a remote and beautiful corner of Suffolk. There our beers begin their lives deep below the brewery with water drawn from a pure source - as it has been for over 700 years, essential for the full flavour and pure character of all St. Peter's beers.
Our beautiful flask-shaped oval bottle is a faithful copy of one produced c. 1770 for Thomas Gerrard of Gibbstown, just across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. The original is now kept at St. Peters Hall and is a rare example of an oval Eighteenth Century beer bottle.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,061 |  Reviews: 624
4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

caveat: My first cream stout, though after this brew not my last.

Served cold. Poured rich and dark with an inch thick dark khaki foam. Barely any carbonation detected.

Scent of malt, chocolate (subtle but noticeable) and some other scent that I cannot pinpoint (coffee?), but palpable. The scent of this stout is so smoothe.
It made my mouth water.

Initial taste follows the scent. Malts with a subtle hit of chocolate. The chocolate again is not overpowering, but very subtle.

Very heavy on the tongue and yet there is a thick fullness on top. Only a small trail of bitterness in the trail of the swallow.

Let it sit for a few...

The taste is a little subdued, but in a way it became more blended; more refined. Actually, the chocolate notes came to me as a ghost a few moments after the swallow. Maybe my senses had to catch up.
The mouthfeel was totally relaxed - smooth and velvety.

Despite the smoothness, there is a spirit in this stout that I really like - maybe it's the addition of the Challenger and Fuggle hops.
I'll have to research these hops later.

Overall, a very refined stout that I could linger with. Though a bit pricy, my only regret right now is that I did not buy another. Some beers make you want to share with others. This is one of those.

Post Note - After looking at the ratings, there are quite a few that are rated higher. It looks like I'll need to do some more research.

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Came in the medicine bottle. Is there any other form? Note to self: these bottles would be great to save for home brewing. Anyway, it poured black as Dr. Pepper with a minimal ring head and some lightly chunky lacing. Aroma is strong on the alcohol esters with an ambience of toasted malt; you can taste the 6.50% ABV. Taste is a bit better than average, and entirely in character for, what you'd expect with this style. Mouthfeel is actually a bit on the thin side. A decent stout, but for the money, I'm hard pressed to say it's better than a draught Guinness or a great domestic stout like Old Rasputin or Big Bear Black Stout.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beautiful bottle attracted me to it. Made the $4 price a bit easier to swallow. Picked it up at my local beverage center.

A - Poured a pitch black with no light passing through. Head was nice and thick and the lacing was phenomenal as it lasted all the way down clinging each step of the way.

S - Awesome cream stout smell, alive with coffee and Carmel aromas. Hints of chocolate were also noticed.

T - A dark roasted coffee. A wee bit bitter up front followed by nice smooth roasted malts. Not too dry which I found very nice.

M - Like the taste, not too dry but very balanced. Creamy finish with nice carbonation.

D - Excellent beer through and through. Smooth and flavorful, the coffee roasted malts make this truly extraordinary. A true cream stout!

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

I had this one a while ago. First off, love the bottle.

The most noticeable thing I remember from this beer was it's creamy taste and texture. It was like drinking a beer flavored cloud, with some coffee and chocolate mixed in for good measure. And not that cheap chocolate you get in the shape of a bunny around Easter. We're talking quality chocolate. Maybe some rich fruity flavors too, but I couldn't quite tell. I will have to try it again.

3.51/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I was very attracted to the beer because of its classy bottle so I picked it up at the local upscale super market. I was not disappointed. The beer pours a nice deep dark brown with nice thick and creamy tan/brown head. It is gorgeous and the combination of dark beer with quite a dark head makes it seem to me the perfect beer to drink if you are ever invited to sit across from an English professor in a leather armchair in front of a fireplace in his mahogany study/library while smoking a pipe. It smells very warm with a little but of alcoholic wineyness but presence of coffee an darker fruits and darker malts. The taste has strong prune/raising flavors with just a hint of spiciness and a bit of alcohol flavor finished by some malty sweetness. The mouthfeel is definitely thick but more on the syrupy side than the creamy side which is certainly not my preference. Overall I think that the cloying syrupy mouthfeel really detracts from the overall drinkability of the beer.

Overall quite a good stout that is pretty well balanced with the only major detraction being its syrupy mouthfeel. definitely worth picking up if you spot it.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

A: I like the new bottle the beer comes in. When poured into a pint glass, the beer comes out a dark, dark brown. It is almost next to impossible to see the beer and quite thick at that.

S:Upon smelling the beer the first smell that came to me was a Dark chocolate. Though as the smelling goes on, one can smell the sweetness and the smell of cream comes through.

T: This beer taste like a good stout If I had to think of anything I would think of a 70% of higher cocao dark chocolate, almost borderline baking chocolate. This beer over all is a nice cream stout. Once someone shallows the beer though, one can taste the hops.

M: This does remind me of exactly drinking milk. It is thick and creamy, but not too bad. For me it is a little too much like drinking milk.

D: I do respect the beer though it is not a beer I would drink regularly. I would drink from time to time and not in a social high scene.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

pours a pitch black color with a large medium tan head with a easy pour with lots of sticky lace. aromas od dark chocolate, roasted malts, fresh coffee. taste is same but creamy smooth from front to rear of the palate ending in a slight bitterness that is very pleasing. mouthfeel is full bodied with a very light carbonation which adds to the silky smooth feel. price is a little prohibitive otherwise very drinkable.

4.17/5  rDev +7.8%

Typed from notes taken on 26 April 2007:

A: I am disappointed St. Peter has abandoned the old bottle for the new cylindrical one. Thankfully the beer did not change. This looks like the model of a stout: jet black body and a boisterous tan head (nearly three fingers). The head is addled by carbonation but seems to have decent retention.

S: Dark chocolate is the first aroma entering my nostrils. There is a smooth and subtle, creamy-like sweetness in the back of the nose. Malt may be contributing to the sweet aroma.

T: Bitter, almost like baking chocolate, flavor rushes over the palate but this is probably just from real dark cocoa. It is definitely a nice creamy tasting stout. There is a very defined roasty malt taste left behind after a swallow.

M: As I said above, this is a nice creamy stout. It takes a lot to rival Left Hand's Milk Stout but they have done a nice job. There is a slight malty/milky feeling left after swallow but not more than any other milk stout.

D: I am glad I tried this beer but I think I'll wait until winter to get some more of it.

---Update: Well it's winter, time to start buying it up!

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

One pint bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours pitch black with three fingers of tan, fluffy head. Various sized bubbles ranging from tiny to large soap-bubbles. Awesome lacing. This beer looks just the way a stout should.

S: It just smells like alcohol and sweet malts. Not bad, but not terribly impressive.

T: The taste is big and malty, with well-balanced hop bitterness appearing mid-palate. There are faint notes of dark chocolate, black coffee and leather. There is a dry, leathery hop finish. A little alcohol astringency.

M: My first few sips were incredible in the mouthfeel department. It was thicky, chewy, fluffy and slick all at the same time. As it began to warm, however, the fluffiness disappeared, and it just became thick and creamy. Still really good, but not quite as amazing as it had been at first.

D: Solid drinkability. The dryness limits the drinkability somewhat. There are more sessionable stouts out there, but I could put a few of these down without too much struggle.

This is a solid stout, and I'd definitely recommend it to fans of the style

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

St. Peter’s Cream Stout

· Appearance: Pours a beautiful dark brown to black with a thick creamy tan head. Heavy lacing remains as the head subsides.
· Aroma: Roasted coffee, chocolate, and malt aroma.
· Taste: Smokey or Roasty flavor with hints of chocolate and faint hops in the end taste.
· Mouthfeel: Fairly well balanced, you can really sense the roasted characteristics. Suprisingly smooth and very creamy.
· Drinkability: This is a great beer to sit down and savor, full of character.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Pours out of the bottle a solid black colour with a good, solid inch or so of tan head.
S - Big roasty malt aroma at first backed up by some coffee & bitter chocolate notes. Also some dark fruit aromas.
T - Very much like the smell. A light smokey note.
M - Medium bodied with a fairly low carbonation.
D - Very nice beer but at $9AUS a bottle I had to pay there is many other options I'd go to before this again.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Pours a nice deep, dark black with a thick brown head. Lots of lacing on the glass with this one. Very nice.

S: Some coffee, some chocolate, and a bit of fruity sweetness.

T: Similar to the smell - lots of chocolate and coffee in this one, a bit of fruitiness mixed in, but very subtle. Very well-made overall.

M: Smooth, with fairly low carbonation. Nice finish.

D: This is a very drinkable stout. Pretty straightforward, but very tasty and drinkable.

4.34/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours black as night with a big brown head from a really cool bottle. I had to be careful to not overrun my English pint glass...I mean this is a serious head! I took it easy too.

Smells really sweet...mostly molasses, with a hint of chocolate.

Tastes very good. Chocolate, toffee, a hint of coffee. A well balanced hops bite at the finish

Mouthfeel is the best part...silky smooth, thick and syrupy.

Super drinkable...I could have another...Too bad I only bought one. :(

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

This was my first time trying a St. Peter's product. I've passed them by for years, and I'm glad I finally decided to pick one up. Much better than I anticipated. Pours Black with a nice creamy head that eventuallyfades to a ring. No lacing to speak of. Smell is somewhat sweet and definitely creamy with notes of bittersweet chocolate. Very gentle. The flavor is a bit less gentle, but the mouthfeel is soft and creamy. Great notes of cream, bitter chocolate, a slight roastiness seamlessly integrated. Quite a nice cream stout.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance of this beer was very dark, looking black, with a dark tan head with good lacing. Smell was of sweet chocolate, and some bitter notes. Taste was very sweet at the entry, with good coffee notes at the middle of the palate. It got a bit sweeter as it warmed. Mouthfeel was good, a little more carbonation then I like but didn't take anything away from it. Drinkability is ok, doesn't go down as smooth as I would have liked. Overall this is good stout, and another good offering from this brewery. Will definitely purchase again.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a dark, 2 finger creamy brown head. Great lacing.

Aroma of coffee, and milk chocolate.

Taste reminds me of cold chocolate milk....and that is a good thing! Also some coffee flavor with hops up front.

Mouthfeel has a medium body and very creamy.

Overall, excellent!! Perfect. Amazing. Very drinkable. Sessionable. Glad I have another bottle.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

a: Pours a very generous medium-mocha head on top of a black beer. Very slow recession with pretty good retention and good lacing.

s: Nose dominated by bittersweet chocolate infused with smooth roasted grain, almost cookie like. Plenty of lactose. Subtle, sweet wood smoke extract upon taking a deep inhale. Gentle English hops. Smells delicious. A well constructed aroma, with the various pieces coming together very nicely.

m: medium carbonation and medium-full body...very smooth, thick while maintaining a clean quality

t: Milky chocolates tempered with the light astringency of smooth dark roasts. Turns from a tempered, roasted cocoa sweetness and fullish body on the tongue to pleasantly dry with a moderate bitterness in the earthy roast finish. I've had a few American examples, but I believe this is my first English.

d: a very good, quite flavorful stout

picked up one of the new round bottles since I could be assured it was at least somewhat fresh...Peace Street Market, Raleigh

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

Bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours a nice dark dark brown with a nice huge light brown head. Really nice head retention. A nice beer to look at.

S: Chocolate, scorched caramel and malty notes.

T: Mmm coffee, toffee, unsweetened chocolate with a hint of molasses. end with a bit of a bitter bite. Very nice indeed.

M: Good -n- creamy. I like it

D: Very drinkable beer. On this the first pretty cold day of the Fall, St. Peter's Stout has a nice hearty warm taste. Tis the season for heavier brew.

4.18/5  rDev +8%

A- Serve from a bottle into a Pint glass. Beer was pretty dark almost no light passing thru the glass, carbonation was minimal and it gave almost a inch and half of head.

S- The aromas coming out of the glass were quite pleasant, chocolate and mild burnt caramel were the most prominent.

T- It taste just like it smells chocolate and caramel are the flavors that are push to the front with a mild level of carbonation, the chocolate states longer in the palate witch in my opinion is never a bad thing; also there was nice lacing going on.

M- The body of the beer itself is heavy but not overwhelming. The carbonation adds a nice touch.

D- I would buy this again without hesitation specially during the winter months.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

I had my eye on this one for some time and on a lark took it home for inspection. Poured into pint glass ace of spades black. The smell is quite strong or perhaps mybottle was on the shelf for some time but i lost a few nose hairs after moving away. The hopp taste was almost overpowering. Drink this one fast unless you want to experience the strength of the abv as the clock ticks. While very thin and smooth it had elements of carmel syrup. Only for the strong and brave for this one.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

The cream stout poured out nice, looking like liquid black velvet. It had a nice, cream, tan head with good lacing. Nice scent, too, with just hints of chocolate and coffee coming through, but not as much there, or with the usual stout scent, as I excpected. It has a nice taste, creamy and smooth with hints of chocolate. The first few drinks were the best, but it just doesn't seem to hold up over the whole bottle. Feels nice going down, but nothing spectacular there, either. It's worth a try if you like stout, but there are others I'd recommend first.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

1 pint 0.9 fl oz. yellowish green bottle. It's a very interesting color for a beer bottle. I don't think I've seen one this color bottle before. I don't know how well it holds up against the store's lights, but I sure it's better than a clear bottle. It has a small simple gold and purple oval label that has the address of the brewery and their symbol of a crow lifting up one legs with some kind of gold shaped key stuck inside his stomach. I had no idea that crows at keys. That crow must have been desperate to eat a gold key. It must mean something to them, but I have no clue what it could even possibly mean. On the back of the bottle is a square label that's the color as the front label, but this label has a wealth of information. It talks about the history of the style of beer, history of the brewery, the web address, the actual address of the brewery, barcode, US Government warning, refund prices, and a small sample of the tapestry that can be found at the brewery. No date anywhere, but there is some kind of brewery number and time on the neck of the bottle that has no use to the consumer of this beverage.

Appearance: When poured into a Pilsner glass (the only thing I had at the time), the beer is a dark opaque color. Actually giving this beer an opaque color is just a start on what the color really is. I could have also said that it's a motor oil black. Any hella black color where even the slightest bit of light can't penatrate the color is acceptable in my book. Believe me, it is that black! It had a tan colored head of foam that was about half an inch in height. This small head of foam still remained at the top of the beer till the last drop of beer was gone. I also can't forget to mention that every time the level of the beer was lowered, it left behind a few spots and streaks of tan colored lace.

Smell: The aroma of this beer was just chock full of of dark roasted flavors. It was just the aroma I was expecting to get from a beer that's so damn dark. The aroma featured dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, dark roasted malts, roasted espresso beans (more coffee), a pinch of dark roasted malts, and some sweet sweet caramel to finish off this dark roasted orgy of an aroma.

Taste: What taste can I expect from a beer that's black as the night sky (without the aid of stars) and has a dark roasted orgy of an aroma? A big time hoopy beer loaded with citrus fruits? Hell no! It tastes like it looks and smells, dark and dry. The taste starts off with bitter dark chocolate that's followed by dark roasted malts, a few roasted nuts, roasted coffee beans, more roasted coffee beans, and then finishes off with a mild dry roasted taste. Not as dry as an Irish Dry Stout, but pretty close to it. I thought it could have used some of that caramel that was in the aroma, but I guess it was kicked out by all the dark roasted flavors.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel wasn't as thinck as I thought it was going to be. It was more on the light side than anything. I guess that means you're able to drink more of this beer without feeling overwelmed by dark roasted flavors. I guess that's a good thing. Hmmm? What does the aftertaste taste like? If you guessed dark roasted malts, dark roasted coffee beans, and some dark roasted hops, you're right! That was an easy question.

Drinkability: If you like like your beer with tons of dark roasted flavors with a light mouthfeel and it's brewed by a brewery with tons of history to it, then this is your beer. For me, I actually enjoyed this beer. I was expecting a few dark roasted, but that many. It was so good that I might buy this one again and I would like to see what thier other brews will taste like. Even though my bottle was good, I'm still cautious about how the color of the bottle will hold up against the light.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Taken from tasting notes:
Decanted cool from a green bottle into a pint. Pours w/ a luxurious 2 finger head made of fluffy tan bubbles. A midnight hued contained withing the flask shaped green bottle is a nice presentation.

A subtle aroma of yeast fruitiness and dark malt pervade this example. A round, soft and modestly full mouthfeel make for excellent quaffability. Cream stout is accurate as malt roastiness and chocolatey sweet ale flavor add to the finish. An excellent example of the cream stout style w/ rich body, luxurious mouthfeel, mocha sweetness and subtle hop spice.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Beer poured a deep , dark brown. Almost black.
Big dark creamy head that hung for a while. Lacing hung on as well.
The aroma was of roasted malts, chocolate and some coffee like characteristics.
Taste was great with the dark malts shining through and highly hopped with a fairly bitter finish. Very creamy and filling.
Mouthfeel was very thick, almost oily.
Good stout.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

(Served in a nonic)

A- This beer is a jet black body with a brown creamy cappuccino head that last and last sticking to the sides of the glass in big clouds. The body is too dense to see any sign of carbonation.

S- This beer has the rich dark smell of black roasted malt with some dark toffee notes. Nice complexity of malts with a cream note.

T- The taste of black roasted malt has a light tartness and a smoked malt flavor. There is a light but pleasant note of band-aid to the smoke but it is covered by a dark toffee and black bitterness from grain. The finish has a soft green hop flavor that lingers with a black malt bitterness and a hint of smoke.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel but it has a creamy texture in the finish. The tight fizz helps clean the dark robust finish.

D- This beer had some nice full flavors but not a great deal of depth. The smoke made me think this was an age-old recipe with wood dried malts. Nice flavor and an interesting twist.

St. Peter's Cream Stout from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd