St. Peter's India Pale Ale
St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's India Pale AleSt. Peter's India Pale Ale
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
Style:
English India Pale Ale (IPA)
Ranked #347

Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews: 208 | Ratings: 348 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.37/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a thick thin head with decent retention.
Aroma with notes of crude malt, honey and not necessarily any sign of hops.
Flavor brings forward the expect IPA hop punch. Notes of grapefruit, floral and tangy hops, malt sweetness, slightly toasted malts and resin. Dry aftertaste with a lasting bitterness.
Light body with appropriate carbonation.
Traditional English IPA with good hoppy English hop notes.

4.14/5  rDev +22.1%

I had the 5.5% ABV version.

L: Clear amber color, one finger off white head, ok lacing, good carbonation.

S: Hops, Belgian yeast.

T: Hops, yeast, malts. Bitter on the back end. Lovely. It tastes like a pale ale though, not an IPA.

F: Light bodied, smooth as silk, extremely drinkable.

O: Very decent offering, for a pale ale, not IPA.

3.95/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bright golden color with moderate activity. Slightly foamy light beige 1 finger head, lasting around 2-5 minutes, with decent legs but not good swirl reaction. Flavors of butterscotch, sweet barley, peach, lemon, with floral and herbal hops. Slick medium body, a bit silky, with moderate crispy carbonation. Medium strength finish, mostly bready and caramely, a bit roasted, ends moderately leafy but also dry hopped and flowery. Makes a very pleasant but robust tongue coating feel. Great balance, well refreshing, good complexion. Yet I find the texture not heavy enough, gets dull and thin quite fast. Still highly drinkable, overall high quality craft. Would drink this kind of English IPA style more often than Americans if more available to be, there's something really filling and satisfying while drinking those.

3.66/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

St. Peter's Brewery Co. Ltd. "St. Peter's India Pale Ale"
500 ml custom made green glass bottle
$10.75 @ The Victoria Freehouse, Philadelphia, PA

Notes: Stopping in for a Scotch egg and finding nothing on tap that took my fancy, I ordered a St. Peter's IPA which I haven't had in many years. I've never really been taken with any of their offerings to be honest, and yet I am quite a fan of English ales in general. At least in this case there was no skunking involved, as that has been some of my experience with the brand in the past (green glass bottles?). It's poured a clear golden body beneath a soapy foam over a more creamy head of white at the bottom. Unfortunately the head doesn't hold very well. The aroma is mild, particularly for an IPA, even of British origin, and I'm mainly getting malt that's grainy, bready, and a touch nutty backed by grassy hops. It's nothing all that special, and to be honest, and this could easily pass as a pale ale. What's the strength on it? 4.9%, oh yes, it could easily pass as a simple pale ale - and keep in mind I am quite familiar with English ales tasted on English soil. In fact I might say that I've had milds that have offered more overall flavor than this although I don't want to head down that rabbit hole. Let's look at it in a finer light, shall we? The flavor continues as the aroma suggested it would with a grainy, nicely done malt as its base, some mild yeasty fruitiness, and just a bit of grassy, herbal, and leafy hops to round it out and balance it. That's nice, aside from it's being labeled an "IPA", and overall it's a pleasant English ale that's easy to drink and enjoyable. It's not that bitter, but at just 4.9% abv how could it be, although it ends with a fair amount of dryness, and some leafy and woody hops lingering with just a touch of bitterness as the malt fades away. It's not the best bottled English IPA by any means, but it works. The price, now that's a different story. Overall I'd suggest you pass this one by. It's just not worth the money.
Review#6,069

2.19/5  rDev -35.4%

This was just bitter, unclean, badly balanced, and way too expensive. I had this at a pub and sent half of it back because it started leaving a really bad taste in my mouth - something I’ve never done before. Strong bitter and herbal notes, unbalanced and almost like something’s off, with a velvety, dusty mouthfeel. Nope, not my thing.

4.26/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This one pours a clear light amber/dark orange, with a fluffy head and a lot of lacing.

This smells like intensely grassy and spicy hops, tea, slightly sweet bready malt, etc.

This is surprisingly pretty nice, with a good solid spicy hop character, bit of grassiness, and a bready rich malt character.

This is crisp and light bodied, and very drinkable.

This is one of the better English IPA's I've had.

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

Not one that I would actively seek out, but I wouldn't be upset if was my only option either. Lightly carbonated, minimal head and feels a bit flat, mild. Grassy and just a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

3.34/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

So when I first started getting into beer, I wanted to try everything I could get my hands on. The local beer store had this on the shelf, and it looked pretty interesting. One of the first imported craft beers I ever had, and I think I remember it tasting like soap, but I didn't know a lot about beer then, so let's see now.

Pours a mild fizzy small head that fades semi quickly, actually quite quick, no lacing, hazy murky reddish-orange color.

Nose fruity herbal hops, a little grassy, a weird fruit mix, with herbal grassy hops, a little citrus and lime peel and lots of iced tea, into a sweet malt, a syrupy earthy malt almost sorghum like thing, a candy reddish caramel malt, sweet.

Taste brings sweet malts out front, a malt flavor of a very old ale with a touch of oxidation, and malt that seems to have broken down years ago, like a Prize Old ale style flavor of the malt, a bit sweet, with more earthy syrup sweetness, and a little caramel. But plenty of hops, fair bitterness, mostly herbal and grassy hops, a touch spicy later, some fruitiness in the middle as well, plenty of herbal tea, a touch of lemonade and iced tea, generic fruity almost like unclean tap lines. finish is a bit spicy, sticky sweet, lingering herbal grassy hops and more iced tea.

Mouth is med bod, a bit syrupy, lighter carb too.

Overall, not what I was expecting but not really good either. I could see this being some old cask beer for CAMRA or NERAX or something,but as it is it's meh.

2.37/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One of six bottle of IPA I was given for Christmas... not familiar with it... no expectations

Nice bottle... I poured into a pint glass... hardly any head... cloudy brown gold in color... funky on the nose

First sip... reminds of the UK... very English in style... minimal hops... more malty. Yanks would not consider this to be an IPA... but that said... I enjoyed the experience... I felt like it gave me a sense no how IPA's have evolved... and how Americans have recently reinvented the style... so much so that the modern American version has no similarity to its roots

Once is enough... I think there are better traditional IPA's

3.22/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

No date on the 17.9 ounce Euro-brown bottle. A moderate pour into an American shaker pint produces a short-lived head that leaves a thin sheen of lace. The beer is a pale, ruddy brown with light carbonation.

I detect very little hop aroma- the aroma is very minerally and fruity overall, as is the flavor. The hops are more evident in the flavor, and seem to add a unique vegetal-fruity-medicinal quality that I can't quite put my finger on. The base flavor is quite malty, suggesting caramelized sugars and some bready notes. The body is medium-range, with a bit of a lingering oily feel to it. The hop bitterness lingers into the aftertaste, and is perhaps more readily perceivable in the finish. The overall bitterness builds in intensity as the beer warms.

I'm still trying to get my head around this style. I recently brewed an English IPA kit- it was nothing like an American IPA, and a little like this UK-brewed example (my homebrew is better of course). In both cases, I think I'm drinking this style for the first time (except for local brewery examples of "English IPA" that don't taste like either of these). Don't expect an American style IPA here, or even a less hoppy version of an American IPA. Surprise, surprise- it's a typical English pale ale with some added bitterness.

3 2.75 3.5 3.25 3.25

Reviewed August 29, 2016

3.06/5  rDev -9.7%

Clear, copper-coloured with a thin, bubbly head that becomes patchy very quickly. Flat.

A gentle swirl reveals sweet malt, hay, and earthy, English hops.

Sweet malt flavour with toffee notes.

Light bodied with a short-lived, somewhat harsh, bitterness.

A hoppy but otherwise unexceptional English pale ale. The First Gold hops are harsh and the malt base is too sweet for my palate. Somewhat unbalanced.

3.93/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

There's not much other than a bitter hoppiness to this particular beer, but if you're in the mood for an old-school IPA, this is a safe bet. It's, let's say, skunkier than most IPAs (probably due to the bottle), but if you're a pilsner drinker and the mood takes you for hops, this could be the one.

3.71/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Glad that I had this again after many years of AIPAs and could, relatively, raise my rating of St. Peter's IPA.
This English IPA could serve as a model to many American brewers about the proper role of hops.
While St. Peter's IPA Looks undistinguished, Smells tell me I'm going to get mostly malt and balanced with modest hops. Tastes are integrated nicely. Regarding their claims to specially filtered water from the well, the difference can be tasted and appreciated. Finishes balanced.

I give St. Peter's high OA marks because it both adheres to (or at least respects) the British brewing tradition, but also innovates. Its line of low-gluten beers is yet one more indication that beer should be for everyone. An organic line, too, for those worried about ingesting too many chemicals (like me.)

3.42/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into english pint.
Got clear deep golden beer with 2-finger off-white head, average retention.
Smell - malts, grass, hay, weak fruitiness and hoppiness.
Taste - sweet malts, marmalade, good hop bitter finish.
Medium body and carbonation, to some extent harsh and not very well balanced beer. Skunky smell and common impression get bad scores.

3.71/5  rDev +9.4%

To those who say it's not an IPA please understand, it's a ENGLISH IPA. You know like the ones that the Brits sent to INDIA. Engish IPA's are the originals and notably maltier. It's a decent example of a traditional English IPA(like Samuel Smith's India Ale). Buy it if you get a good price on it.

3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

5.5% ABV according to my bottle. Pours crystal clear and golden with a weak head and no lacing. Smell is grassy, hay, slightly medicinal, and some off note I can't quite place. Taste is like a below average bitter with some extra hops. Slightly watery mouthfeel. Slightly unpleasant aftertaste.

3.73/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

No visible bottling info, bought last week at a go-to store where it was on sale, so possibly has some age on it. Poured from the 16.9 oz. bottle into a Lawson's stemmed tulip.

a: Clear dark gold with an inch thick white head which receded to thin surface foam and spotty lacing.

s: Mild caramel malt.

t: Followed the nose, with a slightly sharp note or two at first and near the end of consumption. In between it was pretty much all nice malty goodness.

m; Medium, good body and carbonation tingle.

o: A good British-style IPA which probably was not as fresh as it could be, thus little in the way of hop bite. The slight sharp tartness is assumed to be from age.

Bottle poured into a Big Sky Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours a golden yellow with a frothy white head.

S: Noticeable skunkiness, some light fruity and citrus hops buried in there, with a touch of malt sweetness.

T: Skunkiness right off the bat, but there is some light floral and citrus hop action, noticeable lemon/lemongrass, followed by a seemingly odd roasted malt note, and a grapefruit and coffee like bitterness.

M: Medium body, light to medium carbonation.

O: I get the feeling this bottle's probably seen some shit, green bottle not helping things, but still, it's pretty rough overall. Neither the hops nor the malt give the impression that even in peak condition this would be much better. Not a fan of this one.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

A: Light clear copper with an off-white head. Good lacing. Very thick around the rim.
S: English hops, kind of fruity. Vanilla as well. And ashtrays.
T: Lots of upfront honey with a plain malt backbone. Medium dry and plenty bitter with some sort of a Belgian headiness. Very rich for a beer of such ABV. Floral honey and bitterness in the aftertaste. Slight herbal spicyness and woodiness in the breath afterwards. A touch of orange and mango in the dregs.
M: Classy soft effervescence.
O: Drinks more like a double IPA, albeit without the American hops, and only 5.5%. Very nice. I'm yet to have a bad one from this brewery. It's like a lighter version of Yorkshire Stingo. I think some of the other reviewers have been drinking old bottles.

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

First, I'm more familiar with American style IPAs than any other, so I'm accustomed to a much stronger hop profile. St. Peter's IPA is probably much more similar to an authentic IPA style beer, but I'm missing those hops greatly. In fact, I can barely detect them in this beer at all. It could be that it was bottled too long ago, and the hop aroma and taste deteriorated significantly, but whatever the cause, I am not impressed. The dominant character I get from this stuff is grains, both its aroma and taste. Also, curiously, there is a prominent alcohol taste despite its low ABV.

It's a good beer; very drinkable, but not a good IPA for an American palate.

3.29/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

amber red orange with a white soft edge foam in the glass, fragrant and sweet and light earth tones of floral hops and orange jam, uk-ipa, drinking sweet orange barley malts and hops floating above earth

Part of my Up Rising at Novare Res.

Pour into a britis stine.

the beer is pale golded and hinter of amber. The head is frothy and sticky white.

the nose is sweet and earthy, classic EIPA. There are hints of orange marmalade genaric floral hops.

The Taste is great maly sweet to start but the orange and earth hops punch thorugh an make a wonderfull flavor. I'm not sur why this beer is rated a 70. After looking at the top EIPAs I dont see a 4 aside from Three Floyds( hyped no doubt).

Overall a great beer

2.81/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

As a huge fan of IPAs, I have to say I was pretty disappointed by this beer. Not a great hop presence, the dominant flavor was a sort of dry, smoky malt flavor that just felt very out of place in an IPA.

Appearance: Decent. A nice strong looking amber, very transparent. The head was definitely a little foamier than most other IPAs I've had, but the lacing was good.

Smell: Not a whole lot of hops in the smell which was my first indication that the St. Peter's wasn't what I was looking for. Sort of a subdued fruity smell.

Taste: In my personal opinion, not very good at all. Super malty, especially for an IPA. Very little hoppiness, and didn't have the spicy kick you usually get with beers of this style. Sort of old-fashioned tasting, which some people might appreciate, but I found it very off-putting. Tasted a lot more like a Scotch ale.

Mouthfeel: Not great. Very dry, not a lot of body to it. Emphasized the smoky elements of the malt flavor.

My opinion of this beer may have been tainted by the fact that I was looking for a more modern, American IPA and this wasn't it, but you should definitely be warned that this is pretty far from what most people think of when they think of an IPA. Not an awful beer necessarily, but perhaps a little misleading.

3.44/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A good old fashioned type beer that is solid enough but better IPA's out there

aroma: spicy-citrus-malt

taste: spicy-citrus-malt but gets a bigger malt flavour and a greater richness once it warms up. Also has some hints of dark fruit when it has warmed up

nice enough but have had better. I Like a good malty English IPA but this one lacked something in the aroma and flavour.

3.57/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy, and dark gold. Hoping the haziness is due to dry hopping and not something else. The white head is tightly beaded and smooth at first, but pops and melts into a faint film in less than 30 seconds.

Smell: Refreshing citrus and floral hops, with toasted malt not far behind. Honeyed bread comes forward as the beer warms, as does some diacetyl, which is acceptable for the style.

Taste: Medium bitterness lingers into the finish, but does not overpower the malt, which starts out roasty on the tongue due to the bitterness, then dies down to reveal a grainy, buttered bread character. The layered malt tastes are interesting, but the amount of diacetyl verges on being too much, even for this style. Still, I declare this beer to be tasty, for sure!

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Smooth, yet well carbonated. Dry finish, but not astringent. Excellent at first, but as the beer warms, the diacetyl makes itself known in the mouthfeel as well. A slick, butter-coated feel distracts and detracts.

Overall: A beer I'd have again. Tasty, toasty, and enjoyable. Still, the bitterness could be more pronounced for the style, and the diacetyl is this close to being a fault. It lends itself to the beer to a point, however, giving off a cozy, buttered toast impression.

St. Peter's India Pale Ale from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd