St. Peter's India Pale Ale | St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's India Pale AleSt. Peter's India Pale Ale

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd
England, United Kingdom
stpetersbrewery.co.uk

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2006

View: Beers
4.14/5  rDev +22.8%

I had the 5.5% ABV version.

L: Clear amber color, one finger off white head, ok lacing, good carbonation.

S: Hops, Belgian yeast.

T: Hops, yeast, malts. Bitter on the back end. Lovely. It tastes like a pale ale though, not an IPA.

F: Light bodied, smooth as silk, extremely drinkable.

O: Very decent offering, for a pale ale, not IPA.

3.95/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bright golden color with moderate activity. Slightly foamy light beige 1 finger head, lasting around 2-5 minutes, with decent legs but not good swirl reaction. Flavors of butterscotch, sweet barley, peach, lemon, with floral and herbal hops. Slick medium body, a bit silky, with moderate crispy carbonation. Medium strength finish, mostly bready and caramely, a bit roasted, ends moderately leafy but also dry hopped and flowery. Makes a very pleasant but robust tongue coating feel. Great balance, well refreshing, good complexion. Yet I find the texture not heavy enough, gets dull and thin quite fast. Still highly drinkable, overall high quality craft. Would drink this kind of English IPA style more often than Americans if more available to be, there's something really filling and satisfying while drinking those.

3.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

St. Peter's Brewery Co. Ltd. "St. Peter's India Pale Ale"
500 ml custom made green glass bottle
$10.75 @ The Victoria Freehouse, Philadelphia, PA

Notes: Stopping in for a Scotch egg and finding nothing on tap that took my fancy, I ordered a St. Peter's IPA which I haven't had in many years. I've never really been taken with any of their offerings to be honest, and yet I am quite a fan of English ales in general. At least in this case there was no skunking involved, as that has been some of my experience with the brand in the past (green glass bottles?). It's poured a clear golden body beneath a soapy foam over a more creamy head of white at the bottom. Unfortunately the head doesn't hold very well. The aroma is mild, particularly for an IPA, even of British origin, and I'm mainly getting malt that's grainy, bready, and a touch nutty backed by grassy hops. It's nothing all that special, and to be honest, and this could easily pass as a pale ale. What's the strength on it? 4.9%, oh yes, it could easily pass as a simple pale ale - and keep in mind I am quite familiar with English ales tasted on English soil. In fact I might say that I've had milds that have offered more overall flavor than this although I don't want to head down that rabbit hole. Let's look at it in a finer light, shall we? The flavor continues as the aroma suggested it would with a grainy, nicely done malt as its base, some mild yeasty fruitiness, and just a bit of grassy, herbal, and leafy hops to round it out and balance it. That's nice, aside from it's being labeled an "IPA", and overall it's a pleasant English ale that's easy to drink and enjoyable. It's not that bitter, but at just 4.9% abv how could it be, although it ends with a fair amount of dryness, and some leafy and woody hops lingering with just a touch of bitterness as the malt fades away. It's not the best bottled English IPA by any means, but it works. The price, now that's a different story. Overall I'd suggest you pass this one by. It's just not worth the money.
Review#6,069

3.52/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.19/5  rDev -35%

This was just bitter, unclean, badly balanced, and way too expensive. I had this at a pub and sent half of it back because it started leaving a really bad taste in my mouth - something I’ve never done before. Strong bitter and herbal notes, unbalanced and almost like something’s off, with a velvety, dusty mouthfeel. Nope, not my thing.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

4.26/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This one pours a clear light amber/dark orange, with a fluffy head and a lot of lacing.

This smells like intensely grassy and spicy hops, tea, slightly sweet bready malt, etc.

This is surprisingly pretty nice, with a good solid spicy hop character, bit of grassiness, and a bready rich malt character.

This is crisp and light bodied, and very drinkable.

This is one of the better English IPA's I've had.

3.1/5  rDev -8%

Not one that I would actively seek out, but I wouldn't be upset if was my only option either. Lightly carbonated, minimal head and feels a bit flat, mild. Grassy and just a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

3.84/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.99/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

So when I first started getting into beer, I wanted to try everything I could get my hands on. The local beer store had this on the shelf, and it looked pretty interesting. One of the first imported craft beers I ever had, and I think I remember it tasting like soap, but I didn't know a lot about beer then, so let's see now.

Pours a mild fizzy small head that fades semi quickly, actually quite quick, no lacing, hazy murky reddish-orange color.

Nose fruity herbal hops, a little grassy, a weird fruit mix, with herbal grassy hops, a little citrus and lime peel and lots of iced tea, into a sweet malt, a syrupy earthy malt almost sorghum like thing, a candy reddish caramel malt, sweet.

Taste brings sweet malts out front, a malt flavor of a very old ale with a touch of oxidation, and malt that seems to have broken down years ago, like a Prize Old ale style flavor of the malt, a bit sweet, with more earthy syrup sweetness, and a little caramel. But plenty of hops, fair bitterness, mostly herbal and grassy hops, a touch spicy later, some fruitiness in the middle as well, plenty of herbal tea, a touch of lemonade and iced tea, generic fruity almost like unclean tap lines. finish is a bit spicy, sticky sweet, lingering herbal grassy hops and more iced tea.

Mouth is med bod, a bit syrupy, lighter carb too.

Overall, not what I was expecting but not really good either. I could see this being some old cask beer for CAMRA or NERAX or something,but as it is it's meh.

2.37/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One of six bottle of IPA I was given for Christmas... not familiar with it... no expectations

Nice bottle... I poured into a pint glass... hardly any head... cloudy brown gold in color... funky on the nose

First sip... reminds of the UK... very English in style... minimal hops... more malty. Yanks would not consider this to be an IPA... but that said... I enjoyed the experience... I felt like it gave me a sense no how IPA's have evolved... and how Americans have recently reinvented the style... so much so that the modern American version has no similarity to its roots

Once is enough... I think there are better traditional IPA's

2.58/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

1.91/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

No date on the 17.9 ounce Euro-brown bottle. A moderate pour into an American shaker pint produces a short-lived head that leaves a thin sheen of lace. The beer is a pale, ruddy brown with light carbonation.

I detect very little hop aroma- the aroma is very minerally and fruity overall, as is the flavor. The hops are more evident in the flavor, and seem to add a unique vegetal-fruity-medicinal quality that I can't quite put my finger on. The base flavor is quite malty, suggesting caramelized sugars and some bready notes. The body is medium-range, with a bit of a lingering oily feel to it. The hop bitterness lingers into the aftertaste, and is perhaps more readily perceivable in the finish. The overall bitterness builds in intensity as the beer warms.

I'm still trying to get my head around this style. I recently brewed an English IPA kit- it was nothing like an American IPA, and a little like this UK-brewed example (my homebrew is better of course). In both cases, I think I'm drinking this style for the first time (except for local brewery examples of "English IPA" that don't taste like either of these). Don't expect an American style IPA here, or even a less hoppy version of an American IPA. Surprise, surprise- it's a typical English pale ale with some added bitterness.

3 2.75 3.5 3.25 3.25

Reviewed August 29, 2016

3.06/5  rDev -9.2%

Clear, copper-coloured with a thin, bubbly head that becomes patchy very quickly. Flat.

A gentle swirl reveals sweet malt, hay, and earthy, English hops.

Sweet malt flavour with toffee notes.

Light bodied with a short-lived, somewhat harsh, bitterness.

A hoppy but otherwise unexceptional English pale ale. The First Gold hops are harsh and the malt base is too sweet for my palate. Somewhat unbalanced.

3.93/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

There's not much other than a bitter hoppiness to this particular beer, but if you're in the mood for an old-school IPA, this is a safe bet. It's, let's say, skunkier than most IPAs (probably due to the bottle), but if you're a pilsner drinker and the mood takes you for hops, this could be the one.

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

3.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Good beer... but it's more like a light Bitter than an IPA

2.84/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

2.73/5  rDev -19%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

4.19/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.11/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

St. Peter's India Pale Ale from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd