St. Peter's India Pale Ale | St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's India Pale AleSt. Peter's India Pale Ale

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd
England, United Kingdom
stpetersbrewery.co.uk

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2006

1.43/5  rDev -57.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Green bottle from a local shop in Ann Arbor. Pours light golden with big fluffy white head. Aroma of skunk and hay, no hops to be found. Flavor follows with pure skunk flavor, dry finish, and a bit of hay. Mouthfeel is light. This is honestly one of the worst beers I have ever had.

1.48/5  rDev -56%

Pours a nice golden with a big rocky head. Aroma is overpowering skunk with some hops in there somewhere. Taste is skunk with some mild floral hops. This beer comes in a really cool bottle. The bottle is the best thing it has going for it. Unfortunately, they need to change the color of the bottle. Painful drinking.

1.5/5  rDev -55.4%

1.75/5  rDev -47.9%

Pours redish orange with a huge frothy two finger tan head that sticks around for a long time before leaving a nice jagged lacing behind. A waft of skunk is the first thing I notice, then some malts and grain maybe. Why the heck do breweries insist on putting beers in green bottles? Skunk is so easily avoided, and there's no excuse. Anyway, I expected this to definitely be different than what I'm used to in the IPA department, but there's really not much going on here except a slight bit of citrus and some bitterness, which is not at all pleasing. With all the good IPA's around these days, there is absolutely no reason to try this one. I'll stop there, because if I said anything else it might get ugly.

1.91/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

1.94/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured from fat English bottle into pint glass

A: Light than I would expect from IPA, nice fluffy head. No carbonation apparent. Average looking brew.

S: I've never smelt a skunked IPA, so I guess that there is a first time for everything. Thoroughly unpleasant nose.

T & M: I'm not sure if this was a bad bottle but this just did not taste right. Balance was off, simply tasted off. What taste there was simply awful, extremely bitter finish. Ughh and blech.

D: Poured this one out, I will be having and reviewing again as I'm pretty certain I got a bad bottle.

1.99/5  rDev -40.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy light amber color with a rocky head; not particularly impressive in retention or lacing

Smell: Is that a bit of the skunk I smell? (Darn green bottles.) Smells like a Beck's.

Taste: Opens with a bready flavor that shows off the malts but by mid-palate, a medicinal bitter flavor overtakes and, after the swallow, the skunk is let loose

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Another Euro brewer that refuses to learn its lesson about green bottles - drain pour

Yellow with (I'm pretty sure here, and it's not the olive colored bottle giving this effect) green hue. No lacing, aroma, or head. Hazy like an IPA. Ok, so I'm an American; I'm used to big hop flavor so this was like an IPA LITE for me. Slick palate, slight diacetyl undertone. Ladies and geltlemen, I present to you the Budweiser of IPA's!

2.04/5  rDev -39.3%

2.06/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a dull hazy copper color with light, slighty off-white head which leaves a bit of lacing.

Smell: Very minimal aroma; a bit grassy with a bit of lemon or other citrus.

Taste: Hops, grasses, malts, and skunk! The skunk is especially present in the aftertaste. Without that it could be decent, but doesn't really seem like an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and smooth with medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not horrible, but that skunk really takes it down a few notches.

I don't know if this was a bad bottle or what... but it really wasn't very enjoyable. I have -never- had a skunked pilsner-type flavor in an IPA before, though, so this has me a bit worried.

2.25/5  rDev -33%

Good rocky head but little lace. Nice light amber color with a small amount of chill haze.

Sorry, this one is stinky--lots of skunk. (I refrain from my diatribe about glass bottles). Frankly, I can't detect any positive aromas. Damn, I was excited about this one.

Much thinner than expected. Good malt start but where's the "I" of this IPA. Mild hop, low alcohol. It would be safer to simply call this a PA. Good news is that this is not nearly as skunky as the smell might indicate. I do detect hop in the swallow and aftertaste.

I wonder what this would be fresh. However, in the US, this bottle was a clear miss.

2.25/5  rDev -33%

2.37/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One of six bottle of IPA I was given for Christmas... not familiar with it... no expectations

Nice bottle... I poured into a pint glass... hardly any head... cloudy brown gold in color... funky on the nose

First sip... reminds of the UK... very English in style... minimal hops... more malty. Yanks would not consider this to be an IPA... but that said... I enjoyed the experience... I felt like it gave me a sense no how IPA's have evolved... and how Americans have recently reinvented the style... so much so that the modern American version has no similarity to its roots

Once is enough... I think there are better traditional IPA's

2.4/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a Tennent's pint

Appearance: a golden yellow color with a large white head that faded rather fast and left little lacing.

Smells: has a subtle hop aroma that has hints of flowers.

Tastes: this ale is kind of strange tasting. I don't know if I am not accustomed to it but it has a pungent bitter hop note character that is sort of medicine like.

Mouthfeel: the aftertaste of this brew lingered and it wasn't the best. It has little carbonation that leads me to believe that it was expired or past best by date.

Overall: I bought this one because I have never tried it before and the bottle was quite intriguing, but I will pass up on their IPA again. I will try the other ones I saw like the cream stout from St. Peter's brewery in hopes that I like them more.

2.41/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured into pint glass

A-pours an amberish orange nice head

S-smells like way to much caramel with maybe a hint of honey. no hops.

T-sort of a grassy hop flavor, and bitterness with a ton of malt, cant really describe.

MF-a bit creamy, medium body.

O-not that good. Don't like the hop, or malt flavor to this one.

2.42/5  rDev -28%

6oz pour->Sam Smith Mini-Nonic
A ~ Neat bottle. Pours golden orange with a soapy/sudsy looking head that is almost nonexistent.

S ~ Skunk, Grass, Stale bread & Biscuit. Does not smell that great.

T ~ Dirty rags, grainy malt, & dishwater at first sip. Yuck. Let open up for a few minutes to see if it would improve. Dry leaf, sweet dough, & a touch of peat. Hops are grassy & skunky. Not a good thing.

M ~ Mouthfeel was very dirty & gritty for a while. At near room temp more balance came into play.

D ~ This was very hard to drink until it warmed up substantially. I am a big fan of EIPAs, but Will definitely not revisit. I'm definitely thinking I got a lightstruck bottle...but why take the chance?

2.46/5  rDev -26.8%

Pours a redish orange with a huge frothy two finger tan head that sticks around for a long time before leaving a nice jagged lacing behind. A waft of skunk is the first thing I notice, then some malts and grain maybe. Why the heck do breweries insist on putting beers in green bottles? Skunk is so easily avoided, and there's no excuse. Anyway, I expected this to definitely be different than what I'm used to in the IPA department, but there's really not much going on here except a slight bit of citrus and some bitterness, which is not at all pleasing. Has a hoppy floavor but it just seems to be missing a lot.

2.46/5  rDev -26.8%

Medium copper color with a white head that diissiaptes slowly.
Very hoppy smell with something I can't identify.
First taste was nice and fresh hops, second taste was alcoholly, not very good.
Mouthfeel is light to medium with definite carbonation presence.
Will not purchase this again. Have enjoyed St. Peter's brews, but not this one.

St. Peter's India Pale Ale from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd