St. Peter's Old-Style Porter | St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

stpetersbrewery.co.uk

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2002

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Looks like... a porter! Deep dark brown with a tan head... light can get through this one when potent. Smells very malty... a good, solid, fresh malty scent.
Tastes of coffee soda? Chocolate soda? Chocolate coffee soda? Has bittersweet stuff going on a la coffee and dark chocolate.
This brew could stand to be either a bit more bubbly or a bit more smooth. Either direction would help to refine and define this brew a little bit better.
All in all this is easy to drink and something that porter and stout lovers should enjoy well enough.

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

I had this one from the bottle poured to a glass.
This is to me the quintessential old English style porter.
The appearance is really a sight to behold. Looks great with all the trade marks of porter color and a slightly tan colored head. The head stays and laces the glace nicely with every sip.
The smell gives some nice over tones of the roasted malt as well as some coffee flavor. It smells just like a porter should. The taste on this is all about the malts: coffee and chocolate. Rich and well balanced flavor that leaves you wishing you had bought six instead of the one.
Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Some carbonation but just right.
Just like most things out of this brewery it is very drinkable. So, when you go to the liquor store and see that it is $4 a bottle just repeat to yourself that it is worth it.

3.32/5  rDev -13.5%

I thought I'd picked up a lager when I smelled this one. It's got a sour sort of scent.

No head on mine, just a few large bubbles. Super dark reddish brown.

Terrific smokey, chocolate flavor that's a bit unexpected after the smell.

Little sharp on the tongue at first, but in general a smooth drink. A lasting cotton-mouth aftertaste.

One and done for the night for me, but I'd definitely have another some other time.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

I have a special spot in my heart for St. Peter's. I remember drinking their organic ale a few years ago when I lived in this amazingly tiny, leaky apartment in South Lambeth near Stockwell station and was in a bad mood, which the beer helped out with. It's solid if you can find it.
Their old style porter pours middle dark and transluscent into my mug with a respectable tan head with big bubbles and a delicious sweet creamy malt base with yeast and a slightly eggy tone in the nose.
Coffee and dark chocolate malt line the taste which finishes in a round, full flavor with a mellow, lactose influenced mouthfeel that is settling and very easy to drink.
This is extremely drinkable and closer to a true milk stout than I thought was legal. Now I'm definitely pumped to go back to Suffolk Co. and check this place out.

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Dark, dark brown. Little head, though what head is there is just giant bubbles. No lacing. Just darkness. Smells quite vinegary- balsamic, to be precise. Lots of soy sauce going on as well. Tart lemon kind of brings it all together.

Taste is a good balance of sweet malts and spicyish hoppyness. Some dark fruit sweetness is in there, and a bit of a coffee/espresso twang. Mouthfeel is slightly chewy, slightly slick. A pretty good porter, drinkable, not too heavy- but nothing terribly exciting.

4.29/5  rDev +11.7%

As I pour from the distinctive St. Peter's yellow-green medicine bottle, I notice very little carbonated action, and begin to force-pour some head. To my general surprise, this method is effective in producing a nice, thin-bubbled porter-style tan head which leaves walls of tan Brussels lacing. The pour is a very light coffee-brown that condenses to be nearly black, but doesn't pretend to be a stout - it readily shows a ton of ruby when held up to the light.

I'll admit it - to this day I have been less than truly impressed with St. Peter's offerings, the few of which I've had. Their bottles make them worth buying and I consider them a reputable English brewer worth exploring. However, the smell of this brew points out that there might be more than meets the eye to St. Pete's - this lacks the somewhat bland, oxidized smells I've come to associate with their beers, and instead assaults the sense of smelll with a burly, roasted-coffe and raw, green, gritty barley nose.

The mouth is much, much more of the same - a very green, very roasted taste, as though someone cut down the barley before it had truly matured and threw the grains right over a fire. It's not smoky, but meaty, teeth-clenching, raw sustinance - it makes me want to pound my chest and roar in an unsophisticated, living-off-the-land way.

A lovely mouthfeel for a porter! It's just a little on the heavy side, beefed up with a lovely fluffiness that really creates an experience in the mouth. It's half-smooth, half-poofy, really nice to quaff.

Despite my lack of really particular details, the somewhat rambling order of this review illustrates my happiness with this porter. One of the very best I've tried from the UK side of the pond!

3.14/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours out a clear dark brown amber with a tan head. nice lacing.

Smell. lots of toffee and roasted maltiness. slight sourness to it as well.

Taste. toffee flavors again with a small roasty and smokiness too. a tad on the sweet side . aftertaste is bitter and somewhat coffee-like.

Mouthfeel. A bit thin, a lot due to the little bit of carbonation. but it does seem a little watery. good balance though.

Overall a decent beer, good in it's own right. Nice one to try, but i doubt i'll ever have it again.

3.42/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a dark brown with a fizzy tan head that has little retention. Sparce spotty lace.
Smells like burnt toast, and caramel with a touch of citrus zing.
The taste is much more complex than the aroma or appearance. Starts off with a mild bready flavor. Heavy coffee and charcoal with a hint of sweetness in the middle and a very bitter aftertaste for a porter IMHO.
Mouthfeel is good. Thick and chewy with a nice dry finish.
Overall a drinkable porter but the bitterness hurts it a bit here.
I would recommend trying this one and I will have another, but they are much better porters out there.

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

Dark Brown pour from a very cool Victorian looking medicine bottle. Toasted malt aroma, but very light and you really have to breathe deep to smell it. Bitterness is very present. Only mildly toasted flavors of coffee and choclate. Has a sassafrass sweetness initially, but the bitter dominates.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours very dark brown to black color, a vigorous pour resulted in a small head that dissipated quickly. Chocolate malt aroma. Taste is excellent, theres quite a bit going on I'm sure others could point out specific flavors, lets just say its nicely balanced, nice amount of astringency and finishes dark chocolate like. One of my favorite styles, and this is one of the best I've had. Highly recommend, as are the others I've had from this brewery. I'm not sure if I like this or their cream stout better... guess I'll have to try them side by side.

Pours flat, dark brown to black in color...very little lacing. Strong coffee notes in the smell along with a nutty and fruity aroma. Rather nice. Taste is very much like cold coffee to start (especially with the lack of any carbonation) quite bitter but still fairly tasty despite that. Somewhat sweet aftertaste in fact. The only detractor for me is the wateriness but other than that I like it. Very smooth going down and would suggest this to anyone who likes a solid porter.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

1 pint .9 ounce uniquely shaped bottle. This beer has a dark reddish brown color with a small, creamy head. The aroma is just a bit roasty with chocolate and nuts. Malty flavor with a nice nuttiness. A little bit acidic. Just a hint of cherry flavor. The finish is dry and roasty and just a little bit metallic. Some skunk, but not enough to ruin the beer. The body is thin, but the flavor is quite nice. Good drinkability.

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Cool looking green medicine bottle. Pours a dark brown color, with lots of ruby tones. Thick frothy tan head. Decent retention, not much lace on the sides of the glass. Milk chocolate and buttery aroma. Slightly vinous nose. Very smooth, light roasty and chocolate flavors. Low hop bitterness, and just a hint of sourness. Earthy hop flavor. Low carbonation, light to medium in body. Vevry drinakble. Very good English-style porter.

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%

the last of a motherload of beers my wife bought for me this past christmas. pours with almost no head, and what there is clears almost immediately. very black, not not opaque. Odor is very chocolately, sort of like putting your nose in a bag of dark chocolate chips. roasted smell too and some alcohol is apparant. Smooth, roasted flavor, almost charcoal like. some grassy, dried leaf flavors too. Smooth and gulpable. Overall, fandiddly-tastic. my first St. Peter goes over great.

3.38/5  rDev -12%

i poured this from a very nice bottle. The beer was pitch black with very thick, coarse foam. Smell was slightly burned, with something oily in the back
Taste was dry and bitter, burned, licorice. Very nice medium body. This is a mix of old and fresh beer, which add complexity and make it different from other porters I had, which were more sticky. In my opinion this beer leans towards a stout.

4.57/5  rDev +19%

Poured a clear dark ruby red with chunky tan colored head that falls off to thin filmy, but active head. Head retention and lacing are average

Smell: Toasted malt and other malt overtones with a slight fruitty smell (dates & grapes??)

Taste: Rich toasty malt taste with fruitiness (grapes and raisins), licorice, nuttyness and dryness in the finish

MF: Great balance with ideal carbonation levels

One of the better UK ( I think) beers I had lately, will have to look further into the reviews to verify what's happening here. Wherever it comes from,I highly reccomend, could drink this all night. After a quick post from Jason I learned this is indeed from the UK, but there is a brewery by the same name in Australia. My search parameters were not very good...

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

Medium bodied, dark reddish brown with a small tan head that disappears if you blink.

The aroma is earthy roasted malt, coffee, a bit of caramel and a hint of chocolate and burnt toast.

The taste is also mostly dark roasted malts, caramel, dark chocolate with a bit of smoky burnt toast flavor at the finish and a floral hops bite for balance. Only mildly sweet, smooth , mellow and easy to drink.

A good first Porter for those new to the style.

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance - dark brown pour with some brownish-red. Thin head, quickly fades.

Aroma - raisin and caramel, a bit of sweet chocolate mixed in as well.

Taste - charred malt with an immediate smoky element. Brief hint of metal but most surprisingly there is no sweetness that the smell alluded to. The finish is bitter chocolate and finally some pleasant sweetness works its way into the finish.

Mouthfeel - dry, slightly chalky, average body and below average carbonation.

Drinkability - very solid porter but pricy at 4$ per.

4.53/5  rDev +18%

The presentation is great: a very unique bottle (great for bottle collectors). St Peter's Old-Style Porter, comes in a 1 PINT 0.9 FL. OZ. bottle that resembles the shape of a flask or an old fashion medicine bottle. Very cool!

I have had three experiences with this beer. The first: very good. The second: disappointing. And the third was fantastic. I think I figured out the secret to this beer and I will share it with you in a minute.

This Porter pours out into your pint glass as a dark amber/brown. It is thick in appearance at first, but once you hold it to the light you can see both the light and the shadows of what is between you and the light. So I would call it dark but partly translucent. It gave a thick frothy head (ivory in color) that lingered for a good five minutes before fading into a lasting froth.

The smell was VERY mild, very little aroma at all, in fact. I could barely get the smell of earthy malt and alcohol.

A taste of the frothy head instantly gave me leather, followed by a pleasant taste of tobacco (like pipe tobacco not crappy cigarettes). As the beer went down quickly, I realized the flavor is pretty straightforward; there are not a lot of hidden flavors in multiple layers of this beer. While it is not terribly complex, it is however very pleasant and EXTREAMLY drinkable. There are the flavors of medium toastedness, slight earthy malty flavors, and BARELY dark chocolate, coffee, and caramel. But none of these jump out at you. More you just notice a blended flavor, not too sweet not too bitter, that is truly unique and quite tasty.

What stands out about this beer is not anything extraordinary in the taste but the remarkably light mouthfeel for a beer that seems so dark. For a Porter, I'd say this is probably medium-light. It is very frothy in the mouth and incredibly easy to down!

There are in other reviews comments about the strong overtones of bite and alcohol. I had that problem with my second encounter with St Peter's Old-Style Porter but not this time. I did not get that at all this time and I think I figured out the secret to this beer. I drank it this time (at home) BARELY chilled. It was perfect! The last time I had it at the bar at refrigerator temperature. I was disappointed, especially because my first experience was so fantastic. The first time I had it, I was also at the bar, but it was a party and after I ordered my beer I was asked to attend to host stuff. Until I got back to my beer it was barely chilled, and I loved it. Somehow this beer needs to NOT be too damn cold or the alcohol will bite you like a rabid dog.

However, served at just the right temperature this is one of the most drinkable Porters I have ever had.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Appearance: Deep mahogany brown in color, utterly clear, with a rather small, persistent white head, scattered broken lace, and slight carbonation.

Aroma: Rich aroma of bitter cocoa, bitter chocolate, coffee, and a mild chalkiness, in all, quite appealing.

Taste: Coffee and bitter chocolate notes up front, followed by a moment of sweetness, somewhat like molasses, later in the taste, a mild herbal and metallic hop presence dominates. The finish is earthy and smoky with a hint of nuttiness.

Mouth feel: Rich and full, with a dry and chalky finish.

Drinkability/notes: Quite wonderful, I have often considered what the London porter of the early nineteenth century might have been like. For the purpose of imagination, this fits the bill nicely.

Presentation: Packaged in an elegant half-liter flask of dark green glass with raised embossing, in the style of the late 1700's, although, alas, it probably adds significantly to the cost of this beer. Served in a standard pint tap glass.

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml Bottle bought from the Vineyard, Belfast..

Poured a deep dark red colour... Head was creamy tan - disappears almost instantly...

Aroma - Dark chocolate, liquorice, treacle, coffee, dark fruits, cough syrup...

Taste – Strong coffee and bitter chocolate, strong maltiness, dark fruits...

Feel - Quite smooth as there is not that much carbonation...

Overall - A pretty good and very drinkable porter. Definitely worth a try...

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

This is a good English porter. Pours to a dark brown, nearly black with a thin white head.

As soon as I popped the cap, a huge chocolatey aroma spewed forth from the bottle, along with that typical stock ale porter smell. Smells just how I would expect my English porter to smell. After reading some of the other reviews, I've found a few descriptors that match this perfectly: dried leaves and oaken vanilla smoothness.

The taste is just as good. Has a nice up front chocolate with a good mix of sweet, sour, and bitter. Very earthy with little roasted bitterness. This truly seems like an old-school blend of stock, pale, and bitter. Doesn't linger on the palate for too long. This is a highly drinkable English porter.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours black ruby in color with a short and creamy tan head that fades into a ring of lace. Nose is dark caramel blended with a peaty earthiness and a touch of a rather funky aroma that I’m having a hard time placing (bleu cheese perhaps?). Moderate in body, perhaps a bit thin. Taste begins with fresh coffee and unsweetened chocolate with a bit of burnt caramel. Earthy hops round out the finish which is quite dry. An interesting porter—certainly worth a try.

3.91/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured out a deep deep brown with a backlit burgundy shining through. Had an average head which broke away pretty weak, leaving an unimpressive tan haze behind.

Appearance aside, I'm fully impressed with this ones taste..roasted black coffee, light nutty and chocolatey notes, and a damn fine burnt atertaste. Mouthfeel is creamy, although light-bodied, and totally satisfying. I will definitely pick one of these up again.

Dark brown, not black, with ruby highlights when held to light. No lacing.

Aroma is fairly typical, some cocoa, coffee, earthy, and lightly nutty.

Flavor similar, cocoa and coffee flavors, with earthy wood tones, leather, tobacco, and English hops to balance. Not bad, but one-dimensional and boring.

Body between mediun and light with a slick, smooth mouthfeel.

St. Peter's Old-Style Porter from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd