Saison De Chetco | Base Camp Brewing Company

Added by zeledonia on 07-27-2014

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2.67/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Great label, great story. Will the beer live up? Calling the container a can, though it's that unusual Base Camp aluminum bottle. Tasted 26 July 2014.

Pours a very cloudy medium orange. Half-finger of off-white head, okay retention, some lacing. Meh.

Smell is fruity where I can find it. It's thin, lacking power or pizzazz. Some peach, but that's about it.

Taste is not very good. It's just plain and mildly bitter. I can find almost nothing that reminds me of a saison; it's more like a dull pale ale. Muddled and grainy, then bitter. Not so good.

Feel is blah as well. Medium-bodied, slick, carbonation lower than I'd like it to be. It's hard to separate the feel from the taste here, but neither one works or sets itself apart.

I really wanted to like this beer. But I don't. I doubt if I'll finish the can/bottle. The biggest problem is that the yeast doesn't assert itself - in this style, that's a serious problem.

3.09/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.39/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.03/5  rDev +9%

3.25/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.84/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.84/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

3.02/5  rDev +8.6%

Cloudy, Bright Orange-ish, a bit out of character compared to more classic Saison.

Ripe stone-fruit like Apricot on the nose. Saison yeast is undetectable on the nose.

I like the flavor despite the obvious lack of Saison yeast character. Pleasant fruit. Slight bitter finish, but not distinctly hoppy.

Would like more carbonation. The decent head is misleading in this regard.

I would drink it again, but only if I had no other Saisons around at the time.

Saison De Chetco from Base Camp Brewing Company