Crikey

Notes:
Reviews: 46 | Ratings: 199 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Strangestbrewer:

Pine, Grapefruit, Bitter, Even

This is your benchmark Pacific Northwest IPA, lays down hard with a heft hop bitterness on top of a solid malt backbone. Hop aroma and flavor are the real showstoppers here with hints of pine, grapefruit rind, guava, melon rind, and faint peppercorn. Kiss of alcohol, bread, and yeast. Clearly and IPA all the way but just enough malt to keep a balance.

STYLE: American IPA | ABV: 6.8% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine issue #96 (JAN 2015)

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

22oz bottle purchased at 99 Bottles in Federal Way, Washington, for $5. No freshness date. My first Reuben’s Brew.

Poured a slightly hazy shade of something between gold and amber. There was a big, off-white head that was rocky and sudsy, and left lots of lace on the sides of a big Boston Lager glass.

Big tropical fruit aroma to this. I get passion fruit, mangos and grapefruit. The malts don’t make it through the aromatic fruit gauntlet. Seems a little over the top to me, but I freely identify with the less-is-more school when it comes to the current trendy hop profiles.

The taste closely follows the nose, except that some piney and resiny notes creep in to a greater extent. Interesting that things are actually a little more bitter up front than in the fadeout, which is actually less dry than many IPAs I’ve had.

Medium bodied and verging on full, with an oily and very resiny mouthfeel.

Very good, but not quite the epic experience I was expecting considering all the accolades I’ve seen on BA and elsewhere. Partly it’s the style of IPA – I’m just not as big on the BIG tropical fruit hoppiness that seems to be the trend now – but I also think it’s just not terribly drinkable. Don’t get me wrong (and I may be getting myself wrong here as I try to describe this) – this is a quality beer, it’s just not quite what I prefer. I’d absolutely drink it again, but I wouldn’t want more than one bottle, and I’d definitely not want it before or during a meal. Maybe a 12oz serving would be more my speed. I guess I’d say it’s a great beer, with caveats. Regardless, I hope to see this brewery distributed on my side of the Cascades.

On tap at Belmont Station the other day.

The beer pours a solid orange amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose and flavor profile are pretty unual in this beer, and while interesting, I'm not sure I could drink a lot it. There was considerable onion and beef buillion in evidence, and the sweetness on the mid palate was a bit more than I was expecting. However, the beer seemed to have more than enough hoppy bitterness to counter the sweetness, and I'll confess that this a beer I enjoyed more and more as I drank it. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a fairly long bitter finish, and alcohol was well integrated into the flavor profile.

An interesting beer, but I'm not sure it's something I would order all that often if I lived up in the SeaTac area.

4.46/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Arrives with an inch of foam capping the hazy copper liquid; clumps of lace stick to the glass

Smell: Tropical tones (pineapple, mango) and tangerine

Taste: Nothing but the hops in the flavor profile, with the tropical fruit and tangerine flavors tantalizing the tongue; very juicy and slightly sweet in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: This is a terrific West Coast IPA - crikey, it's good

4.02/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev -3%

Overall, a classic American IPA. Huge grapefruit character with some pine and then cracked pepper in the dry finish. The aroma is more floral. Man this has some bite to it. Great IPA if you're looking for a bitter kick.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

22 oz. bottle:

Pours hazed golden with a fluffy white head. Trailing lace.

The smell is of pine, citrus (grapefruit) - musty - some caramel.

The taste is of pine/resin and grapefruit. Sweet caramelized grain balances the bitterness. Spicy and bitter-leaning , dry finish.

Shows the characteristics of a modern American Pacific Northwest IPA well.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

On tap on a Washington State ferry. Poured a clear, golden color with a small, white head of foam. It smelled of floral notes, orange peel and pine. Sweet toasted caramel with a nice pine bitterness with a hint of citrus.

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On draught at Tavern Hall, crikey IPA is a remarkably clean IPA. With an orange color, it's on the maltier side of west coast style, but the hops are all there, loads of bright fruit, a little pine, and moderate bitterness. The aftertaste is just super clean, this is really well made. It's so well integrated that I can see how it might strike one as underwhelming, but I'd say more elegant.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

On tap at brewery. Copper color. Aroma is hoppy citrus and pine. Very balanced IPA. Nice malt backbone with grassy hop flavors. Bitterness is smooth with no lingering harshness.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

Look: Deep, murky orange body. Thin, wispy, film over the top. Sticky lace.
Smell: Sweet hop. I can tell this is going to be good.
Taste: Light pineapple. Sweet, hoppy, and piney, with a touch of malt.
Feel: It fits. Medium body and dense carb in the mouth.
Overall: West Coast IPA, all the way.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.49/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Review 30 days after canning. There was not much there to recommend across the board. Dissapointe.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz can poured into 14oz teku. Poured a cloudy dark yellow/light orange color with about 2/3 of an inch of white head that low retention and lacing.

The aroma is low malt/grain and hop forward, mostly citrus, with some floral. Pretty similar on the tongue, with the citrus hops being more dominant, and leaving a nice tang on the finish.

The body was light-medium, smooth, and had a semi-dry finish. Drinkability was great, as I've long known. Overall, a very nice brew, one that is worthy of it's place in the upper echelon of NW IPAs.

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the brewery.
Slight hay orange with no head. 3.75
Zesty citrus and mango puree. 4
Dough and apricot, big bright orange and mango mash, powdery bitterness, and creamsicle comeback. 4.25
Almost medium, round, smooth. 4

Juicy, with a bit of scratch. Nothing I haven’t had before, but tons of C hop smoothness. Still, never got blown away by Reuben’s. 4.25

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

The look and aroma promised much, but the taste and palate did not. Extremely over carbonated. Very medicinal and bitter. Sort of disappointing. I have read some really good reviews on this beer this particular model did not live up to the hype. There is a possibility that I got a bad bottle? The hops have no citrus character whatsoever it's sort of like chewing on an aspirin. The carbonation is so high that it is actually hard to swallow. Probably better than what I am giving it credit for but this is all that I have to work with at the time.

Crikey from Reuben's Brews