Caffrey's Irish Ale | Thomas Caffrey Brewing Co.

Caffrey's Irish AleCaffrey's Irish Ale

Thomas Caffrey Brewing Co.
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
caffreys.ie

Style: Irish Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-03-2001

4.82/5  rDev +49.2%

I asked for a sweet ale, and this is what I got. Wonderful selection, I enjoyed it very much. Had another. Went back to the same place 2 weeks later simply to have another and was told it is no longer made. What's up?! I loved this beer. Wonderful aroma, exceptional taste, sweet (if you like that thing) with a delightful flavor all it's own. Slightly red or coppery color, would this be considered an Irish red ale? Are there any others similar?

4.54/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +39.3%

This beer pours a nice amber color and the cascading pour is really nice to watch. It adds to the anticipation of the beer. It leaves a nice thick head which lasts until the end (Which is usually quick!)
The taste is a nice mixture of bitterness and flavour.

When living in England my place was near an O'Niels Pub, which soon became my local watering hole. It was there that I was introduced to Caffrey's Ale, which soon became my beer of choice. I am kind if biased, but this is one of my favorite beers. It was this beer that introduced me to the wonderful world and awseome variety's of beer that is available to us. I owe my eye opening to this beer!

4.5/5  rDev +39.3%

4.46/5  rDev +38.1%

This is a very good Irish ale. I'm not sure if it would be considered a cream ale, but it's very creamy in color and taste. Everytime I go to the local Irish Pub, I start off with this beaut. It's easy on the tastebuds and get's ya ready for the night. The head is always a nice thick cream color and it's real thick too. The seperation it does in the beginning is just like Guinness, which is another great beer in my book. Anyways, the finish is nice a sturdy, but light at the same time. It's not stouty or bitter, which I think is the reason it makes a great "starting out" beer.

4.4/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this once in NYC on tap, caught me off guard.

4.26/5  rDev +31.9%

I have had Caffrey's on draft in my Basement Pub for a year and can't find a better nitro ale to replace it. Although Caffrey's has little or no nose appeal, the head is very creamy and always super smooth going down. On draft there is a slight bitter or fruity finish that is clean and crisp. This irish ale is smooth as silk and enjoyable in quantity or alone. The best nitro irish ale I've had.

4.25/5  rDev +31.6%

4.25/5  rDev +31.6%

4.23/5  rDev +31%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On nitro-tap at The Mask Bar, in the Strand Plaza Hotel in London.

Nothing in the United States like this beer, Wexford does not even come close.

Pour is awesome, very dark copper/amber, with a thick and ultimate creamy head that lasts.

Incredible flavor, rich and full of sweet malts and cream. One of the smoothest beers out there.

Absolutely try it if you can, not sure if this is available in the US anymore. Perhaps a trip back to London soon.

Cheers!

4.11/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - Has a nice foamy head,
Feel - Creamy head
Taste - Crisp clean finish
I like this beer. Too bad you can't find it in the US anymore.

4.03/5  rDev +24.8%

Poured a 440-ml can into a pub ale glass.

Appearance - amber-gold with white, creamy head.

Smell - fresh grass and corn, maybe a trace of vanilla in there.

Taste - sweet, but balanced with a nice freshly baked bread flavour. Clean finish.

Mouthfeel - low carbonation, very, very, very smooth. Extremely smooth.

Drinkability - very good and I would definitely recommend. This is a bit expensive for a 4-pack but definitely a good beer that helps remind that spring is coming.

An above average Irish Amber/Red Ale. This ale was presented to me at the wonderful Claddagh pub in downtown Montreal, QC. This beer had a very thick head on it and it was a very nice amber/red colour. This ale had some nice sweet aromas of malts with some hop aromas on the nose as well. This tasted very light, creamy, and refreshing. A very well-balanced irish brew with a smooth mouthfeel and an above average drinkability. Why is this no longer available to us in the U.S.?
Cheers!,
F.

A very good Irish beer. Nice and thick although light in color. It has a head that really sticks to the glass all the way down. Very sexy. A well rounded brew that is balanced in aroma and flavor. Prost!

3.96/5  rDev +22.6%

3.95/5  rDev +22.3%

Presentation: 14.9oz can with Caffrey's Draught System inside. Helpful instructions on the back of the can explain how to pour the beer. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours a lively, waving, cascading brew -- awesome to watch. When it settles the liquor is amber with light red hues and the head is a solid finger's width of creamy white foam that sticks all over the inside of the glass. Head stays all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Floral sweetness with a dry, raw coarseness about it.

Taste: Incredibly smooth, creamy and full. There's a near dextrin malt sweetness that is full of herbal and floral flavours that are rather tasty. Hops get mildly coarse and raw on the palate, then the brew dries up for a brief moment with a slight lemon/salt-like hop bitterness. The palate is soon quenched with the smoothness of more light sweet malts that hold a faint toasted flavour and background (way back) grape fruitiness. Aftertaste is unusually neutral when still chilled, dry and coarse when warmed.

Notes: I don't care what anyone says, Caffrey's is a fine beverage and so easy to put down that it often scares me. A Friday lunchtime favourite for my buddy Dee and I. We always have 2 or 10.

3.88/5  rDev +20.1%

This reminds me of my beloved John Smith's Extra Smooth. Poured a beautiful deep amber with a creamy and persistent head. I didn't get much in the way of aroma but the toffee and malt flavour was really enjoyable. Carbonation is low and very fine. The problem with this is quaffability. I can smash down a whole pint before I can even taste it so drinkability is huge. There's not a whole lot going on in terms of complexity and it is a bit watery but this suits me as long as the flavour is there and though the toffee and caramel is subdued it's still there and balanced. Good but not great.

3.86/5  rDev +19.5%

Caffrey's on-tap is less creamy than the nitro can, but seems to be more substantial. A decent session ale that is quite quaffable. (review taken from notes before Coors pulled the plug on the brand in the U.S.).

3.79/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev +17%

Clear, light amber with an orange hue topped by a dense, white head of fine bubbles (nitro really helps out here). Great head retention and it leaves a thick lace on the glass. The aroma is quite muted, but there's some caramel maltiness, a hint of fruit, and some floral hops. The mild flavour is matched by low bitterness. Caramel malt and light fruit start things off, with hops kicking in towards the finish. Low carbonation (of course) with a light body and a dry texture, especially as it warms. This is a great session beer, especially on nitro-tap... not very complex, but tasty enough to have several.

Caffrey's Irish Ale from Thomas Caffrey Brewing Co.