Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Beerlao Dark | Lao Brewery Co.

Beerlao DarkBeerlao Dark
3.31/5
Okay
Beerlao DarkBeerlao Dark

Lao Brewery Co.
Laos
beerlao.la

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Beerlao Dark is an award winning beer brewed with the finest ingredients and roasted malt. A full-bodied tasted experience with a golden brown color.

Added by Jason on 12-31-2005

3.5

Pours a light coffee color with decent head. Nice aroma of sweet rice and caramel. Taste is very unique blend of jasmine rice and molasses. Medium mouth feel. My favorite dark Asian lager.

4.5/5  rDev +36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one amazing beer. I was in a discount grocery store and stumbled upon this, selling for just $2.99 for a 6 pack. Seriously, $2.99. I have tried a few discounted beers, and so far, they rank up there with the best micro brews I have had. Smooth and Zesty! This is one of them, and even my girlfriend (who is not too huge a beer fan) agrees. Amazing is all I can say. It honestly is one of the best tasting micro brews I have ever had. That with the $2.99 price? Unbelievable, like seriously unbelievable. This is a beer that you can drink 1 after another, or drink with a good steak or burger. It is cheaper than most micro brews by 3x (at least at this store here in cali), and tastes as good or better. If you like dark beers, you gotta get your lips on these. I am all for American brews, but this imported brew blows American brews out of the water. As I was drinking it, I was thinking about the cost to make it, bottle it, import it on boats from thousands of miles away, and how it still is so cheap and so damn good tasting. I am blown away. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because it is the first time I have had it.

4.5/5  rDev +36%

4.45/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

An excellent Vienna-style lager! My second favorite style of beer after Saison. Rank it right up there with Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager. The two best I've come to taste. Give me a case of this in camp after a day of trout fishing...nothing better!

4.3/5  rDev +29.9%

4.25/5  rDev +28.4%

4.25/5  rDev +28.4%

4.2/5  rDev +26.9%

I used to buy this all the time at a Thai restaurant on 9th Avenue in Hell's Kitchen, New York City. Matched my tom yum fried rice amazingly well. It is one of the darkest lagers i've seen from Southeast Asia, only comparable to ABC Stout from Singapore (although this beer is much better). The smell is enjoyable with lots of nutty notes (even more than most Guinness sold abroad). But the highest note for this beer (as it should be for any) is the taste. Amazingly smooth yet thick in the way a good dark lager should be, this brew fulfills all of my expectations of what I want when I order a dark beer. Hard to find, but if you can, get a bottle and enjoy it! A great representation for the country of Laos!

4.09/5  rDev +23.6%

4.05/5  rDev +22.4%

Had this at a very good Lebanese restaurant in Portland.
Appearance- Brown with dark tea highlights. Not much of a head at all, but what is there is a light tan color. Little lacing.. 4/5

Smell- Sweet milk chocolate and roasted malts. A lot more aroma than I anticipated. 4/5

Taste- Lots of chocolate and roasted malt flavors. Again, I was surprised that this was as flavorful as it was. 4/5

Mouth feel- The mouth feel was just what a lager should be. I was a little surprised that it wasn't a bit thicker given the flavors that are in this beer. 4/5

Overall- I fully expected a lot less flavor than this. Nice beer. 4/5

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours a clear, rich, garnet color with a fluffy off-white head. Dissipates to a thick film and leaves good lacing.
Smell is malt, dark fruit, cane sugar hops and kool-aid.
Taste is most of the same without the kool-aid and adding alcohol. Some oak note after warming.
Dmooth, light effervescence, medium-full body. Some hops in aftertaste after warming. Quite a good beer

3.99/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

There are two beers on the list from the Lao Brewing Company. This is one of them, and we grabbed this the other night at Total Wine & More. We spent $100, so we have enough beer to last us a few weeks! I think shopping for beer is my favorite part. Anyway, this beer is brewed in Laos, a small country in Southeast Asia. I need to plan a trip to Asia. There is some great diving over there, and it is a part of the world I have never been.

I don't recall ever having this beer before, but I do like the Euro dark lager style. The tasting notes mention toffee and coffee… and while I do not expect a lot of those aromas (or flavor) I am sure it will be easy drinking and enjoyable. I didn't realize they used rice in the brewing process. Makes sense, and I will be curious to see if that changes the flavor of the beer. Let's drink!

In the Glass: This is darker than I expected. It has a deep dark red color… almost brown. The head is nice, too. For a beer that I would assume is a domestic to Laos, I didn't expect it to have much character. But the head is nice and white, and it has a decent lace.

Nose: I thought I could smell this as I was pouring it in the glass, but Sheryl was making tea. She is on a tea kick right now… and I will admit, the stuff smells good. Doesn't taste very good, but smells good. At any rate, this beer smells like a traditional Euro pale lager. Beers like this are typically sweet, and have a lot of different flavors going on. Hopefully this one won't disappoint.

Flavor: That's actually really good. I am hooked on this home-grown rice thing. A few weeks ago, I had a wild rice double IPA that was amazing. The rice really came through in the flavor. The rice really comes through in this one, too. I can see what they mean about the beer being easy to drink. Bravo Lao Brewing Company. You have just thoroughly impressed me with this release!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is soft, mellow, and leaves a nice little pillow of flavor on the back of the palate. They claim the rice is what mellows this beer… and if I didn't know about the rice beforehand, I would comment on how easy this is to drink. I wonder if this beer would age for two or three years. Beers like this shouldn't, but as mellow as this is, I wonder what it would taste like with seer carbonation.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is solid, as well. There is a hint of malt and some sublet hoppy characters creeping in there. If you didn't know this beer was over 6% ABV, you could drink 6 of these and not even realize it! Very easy to drink with a lovely flavor. I bet this would also pair well with food.

For our first experience with Beerlao Euro Dark Lager, I am very impressed. I will be buying more of this in the near future. I bet this would be a great beer to pair with some brown rice sushi or with an Asian chicken dish.

3.94/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass at the World of Beer in Savannah. The appearance is your basic traditional Euro Dark Lager. However, the taste was surprisingly good. I thoroughly enjoyed this more than the Beerlao traditional.

3.94/5  rDev +19%

Dark amber with a patchy, white head.
Smell is malts, caramel, cinnamon, and dark fruits. Corny, bready notes as well.
Taste is slighty sweet and spicey malts. Figs, plums, and brown sugar come in after, as well as some more dark fruits.
Mouthfeel is nice and crisp, with a fairly dry finish. Medium-light body.
Good drinkability. Compared to most others I've tried in this style over the past, this one stands out.

3.89/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.88/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

when in Thailand and all you can find is light lagers this beer is like Carmel Gold

3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 12 oz single bought from my local Asian farmer's market for $1.49. This beer is surprisingly decent. Pours dark chestnut with an okay head that fades to a swirly cap. Smells grainy and malty with some notes of cocoa and cream as well as a touch of lager yeast. The taste is similar, with nice cocoa notes over a grainy, malty base that lacks the grainy sourness you sometimes find in these Euro lagers. Relatively clean in the mouth with a pleasantly creamy finish. Not bad at all.

3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

L: dark red-brown color, decent clingy head

S: nothing powerful: a bit nutty, dark malts, some toasted bread

T: mild flavors: roasty chocolate, grainy/nutty bread, sweet coffee-ish finish, I detect

F: bright & crisp carbonation, keeps the beer light on the palate

Mild and very easy-drinking dark lager- especially because of the carbonation- pairs great with a lot of different food. If you're in SE Asia for any extended period of time then you'll probably love this beer because it's one of very few non-pilsener styles. Otherwise it's a decent beer for the style, one that I've enjoyed many times

Beerlao Dark from Lao Brewery Co.