Beerlao Lager | Lao Brewery Co.

good
Read the review
Beerlao LagerBeerlao Lager

Lao Brewery Co.
Laos
beerlao.la

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Beerlao is brewed from the best local rice and overseas high quality malt giving it a unique taste. Beerlao was launched in 1973 and has become the best selling and leading brand in Laos. It was also awarded gold medals by various international competitions. Beerlao is one of the most successful exports and is currently available in 13 countries worldwide.

Added by UncleJimbo on 03-01-2003

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

3.01/5  rDev +1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Another "exotic" lager.
Pours with a typical golden color, not completely clear but almost. The head is average and quickly dying.
The aroma is quite gentle, although I could point out some hops and grains (probably rice) as well.
The taste is similarly gentle with a slight bitterness (no sweetness here) and with a surprisingly nice bittery aftertaste - not watery.
A very nice one, must say.

2.28/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Golden color with a two finger fluffy head with low retention.
Initially it brings more bready malt than average for the style with hints of booze, sulfur, honey, floral hops and non-malted cereals.
Flavor of malt sweetness and cereals with hints of booze, lemon, floral hops and oxidation.
Light to watery body with good carbonation.
If on one hand, it is hoppier and uses rice as opposed to corn; on another hand it has a strong oxidation and sulfuric notes. Don’t let it warm, I started with a higher note and was forced to downgrade it along the degustation.

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

2.5/5  rDev -16.1%

3.59/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had in Beijing.
330ml bottle poured into a pint glass.
Born on date: 1/18/13.
ABV: 5%
Ingredients list water, barley, rice, yeast, hops.

A- Light watery yellow look of a adjunct lager. However the two-finger frothy head actually managed to stick around for a few minutes. Lots of carbonation rushing to the surface.

S- Grain, lemon, a bit of sourness.

T- More bready grain. A hint of peppery lemom. A bit of sulfur.

M- Not as thin as the appearance suggests. Prickly carbonation.

Good carbonation along with a slight acidity make this a very drinkable and refreshing beer. Great on a hot summer day with a plate of spicy peanuts.

2.42/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Pours a pale golden color with a good head that fades to some lacing.

S: Mild aroma of some citrus and a bit of malt sweetness, just a bit musty.

T: Taste is quite bland with some mild citrus and malt sweetness with a trace of fruit in the background. Just a bit of bitterness and a fairly clean finish.

F: Light body, fairly smooth but quite bland.

O: Goes best with a tropical climate.

3.35/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is our last beer from Lao Brewery. There were only two on the list. I can't imagine craft brewing is a big business in Laos. I do, however, like beers that use rice in the brewing process. I was curious to learn they serve this warm over ice in Laos. I am drinking it cold from the fridge, but if and when we are in Laos I will order it room temperature. Drink it like the locals do. They also mention the local food, and that would be my favorite part! I don't have big expectations for this one, but here goes nothing.

In the Glass: It looks like a typical domestic beer. It does have a nice head, and I am seeing a TON of tiny bubbles rushing to the top. It almost looks like champagne below the surface.

Nose: That is what I'm talking about. This smells great. It has a nice creamy aroma and a hint of sweetness coming through from the rice. Speaking of rice, I LOVE the Flying Fish Wild Rice DIPA that recently came out. This isn't an IPA, but will be (I promise) easy to drink leaving a nice somewhat sweet aftertaste begging for another drink. Let's try it!

Flavor: There are times I sit in a bar and say, "What should I order?" I did that on Sunday at Papago Brewing Company. I wish I had this flavor on my mind when I was trying to order. They didn't have any Euro pale lagers on tap, but still. This is a creamy bottle of deliciousness. The sweetness really comes through here, and like I said… it is VERY easy to drink. This would taste great on a hot summer day. See, why don't golf courses have a Beerlao cart?

Mouthfeel: This is my favorite part of this beer. It is nice, somewhat thick, and creamy. The beer leaves a nice thin layer of sweetness on the palate. That is coming from the rice. I would love to see a brewing company make a batch of beer with rice. I have no idea how they do it… now I must find out. I wonder if Steve McFate at Fate Brewing Company here in Scottsdale would let me work with him on a wild rice beer. Like I have time for that!

Aftertaste: Those same sweet notes carry over, and every time I swallow it begins to dry. (The burp is pretty boring. Tasted more like my lunch than it did the beer I am drinking.) This is a beer, regardless of the ABV, is easy to drink and I can see myself drinking a pitcher of this. I would also like to visit Laos for that food. I am also going to look into other Laos brewing companies. This is good. It's not great, but I could drink a bunch of this carbonated sweet nectar. Yummy!

Beerlao Lager from Lao Brewery Co.