Elliott's Phoned Home Pale Ale | Cedar Creek Brewery

Elliott's Phoned Home Pale AleElliott's Phoned Home Pale Ale

Cedar Creek Brewery
Texas, United States
cedarcreekbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Mora2000 on 10-13-2012

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Slight haze on the amber brew with modest suds in the Piraat tulip. Smell is a little dishwatery. Grainy with a bitter finish. Something like lime peel in the aftertaste.

Rather plain with a crackery malt taste. The label says it's brewed with Apollo and Bravo hops and German Alt yeast. Some grapefruit flavors. On some sips I get a plasticky touch in the nose. From the 16 oz can purchased at Susan's Fine Wine & Spirits in Santa Fe.

3.09/5  rDev -15.6%

If I am reviewing a CANned beer from Texas, you CAN almost be assured that it came to me via the mysterious JenRay, who is IPA-obsessed and yet finds CANs of every stripe in furtherance of the madness.

From the CAN: "While Pale Ale is one of our favorite styles. Creating [sic] a nice blend of Ameri[CAN] hops and malts that [CAN] offset the German Alt yeast is a little tougher than it sounds. Our goal is a moderate level of hop bitterness that carries over to a soft hop aroma. We are trying some new Ameri[CAN] hops - primarily Apollo and Bravo - that give some interesting notes to flavor and aroma. Bravo gives a blend of lemon, pear, and grapefruit notes. Apollo is mostly used as a bittering hop, but because of the great aroma we get from it, we also used it in the whirlpool. As a result, the aroma comes across as a strong grapefruit note. We think it's out of this world - A [sic] Pale Ale to phone home about!"; "Brewed in east Texas".

The Crack! revealed another brimful craft CAN, but my inverted pour was perhaps a tad overzealous and I experienced some overflow as a result. Whoops. The result of it all was two fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with good retention. Color was a cloudy orangish-yellow (SRM = 6.5) that made me wonder if I was getting ready to drink hefeweizen! Nose was another riot of scents - tropical fruits, grapefruit, peach, pear, melon, and pine. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was far sweeter than I would prefer in the style. I got a lot of tropical fruit flavors along with cantaloupe and pear, making for a fruity salad-like taste, but not what I am looking for from the style. Sure, I am not a style maven and innovation is nice, but this was not doing it for me. The finish was semi-sweet, but the mention of "sweet" with the style is a CANtradiction in terms, for me and as such I was less than impressed. YMMV.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

On tap at the Untapped Festival.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is about what I expected, with some biscuit malt as well as some orange and grass notes from the hops. The flavor is more of the same, with the orange notes from the hops coming through nicely. There is very little bitterness as this beer is quite balanced with the sweet, biscuit and caramel malt. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.49/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 01/10/2016.

3.61/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.24/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16 oz tallboy pours a mildly hazed gold color with a large cap of craggy off-white head. Retention is good and lace sufficient.

Nose is really nice, I wasnt expecting this good of a hop aroma to be honest. Hops lean towards the citric and tropical end of the spectrum. There is a biscuity malt in there that keeps things from being one-sidedly hoppy.

Taste has alot to offer - saltine cracker light maltiness with maybe a bit of bread dough. The hops are deftly done indeed, it flows perfectly from a nice little grapefruit flesh bite at the beginning and is finished clean without a harsh bitterness. Mouthfeel is great, I was a littel worried it was overcarbonated after the pour, but it is just fine, smooth and densely creamy. I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger on this 4-pack for 8 bucks, but am very glad I did and will buy more in the future. Recommended.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

3.42/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Elliott's Phoned Home Pale Ale from Cedar Creek Brewery