Elliott's Phoned Home Pale Ale | Cedar Creek Brewery

Elliott's Phoned Home Pale AleElliott's Phoned Home Pale Ale

Cedar Creek Brewery
Texas, United States
cedarcreekbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Mora2000 on 10-13-2012

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This pours a semi cloudy golden color with a nice orange tint to it with a nice white head that is short, long lived and leaves pure lace down the glass.

The nose is a nice pine and grass with hints of orange, grapefruit, lemon zest, pepper, some bread notes are there as well.

The taste is nice dry malt with a well balanced hopping throughout the taste experience. There are some notes of oranges, pine, fructose and vanilla.

The moutfeel is just right for this and delivers the complexity across the palate.

Overall this one is exceptionally good and definitely drinkable. I highly recommend it.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

3.09/5  rDev -16%

If I am reviewing a CANned beer from Texas, you CAN almost be assured that it came to me via the mysterious JenRay, who is IPA-obsessed and yet finds CANs of every stripe in furtherance of the madness.

From the CAN: "While Pale Ale is one of our favorite styles. Creating [sic] a nice blend of Ameri[CAN] hops and malts that [CAN] offset the German Alt yeast is a little tougher than it sounds. Our goal is a moderate level of hop bitterness that carries over to a soft hop aroma. We are trying some new Ameri[CAN] hops - primarily Apollo and Bravo - that give some interesting notes to flavor and aroma. Bravo gives a blend of lemon, pear, and grapefruit notes. Apollo is mostly used as a bittering hop, but because of the great aroma we get from it, we also used it in the whirlpool. As a result, the aroma comes across as a strong grapefruit note. We think it's out of this world - A [sic] Pale Ale to phone home about!"; "Brewed in east Texas".

The Crack! revealed another brimful craft CAN, but my inverted pour was perhaps a tad overzealous and I experienced some overflow as a result. Whoops. The result of it all was two fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with good retention. Color was a cloudy orangish-yellow (SRM = 6.5) that made me wonder if I was getting ready to drink hefeweizen! Nose was another riot of scents - tropical fruits, grapefruit, peach, pear, melon, and pine. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was far sweeter than I would prefer in the style. I got a lot of tropical fruit flavors along with cantaloupe and pear, making for a fruity salad-like taste, but not what I am looking for from the style. Sure, I am not a style maven and innovation is nice, but this was not doing it for me. The finish was semi-sweet, but the mention of "sweet" with the style is a CANtradiction in terms, for me and as such I was less than impressed. YMMV.

Elliott's Phoned Home Pale Ale from Cedar Creek Brewery