No Rules | Perrin Brewery

No RulesNo Rules

Perrin Brewery
perrinbrewing.com

Style: American Imperial Porter

This 15% Imperial Porter was made with coconut and turbinado sugar then laid down and aged in bourbon barrels for several months. With a classic film reference weaved into the label art, we hope you enjoy this product as much as we did making it. A generous donation will be made to The Raider Project for each bottle sold to thank them for what they do for our Marine Veterans.

2015 = Green Bowling Ball

Ratings: 1,338 |  Reviews: 278
Reviews by cvm4:
3.89/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a bit thicker than a porter. Black coffee body & tan one finger head. Not much retention.

S - Brown sugar, molasses, roasted malts & bittersweet chocolate. Nice oak, vanilla & bourbon character throughout.

T - Sweet taste overall. Molasses, brown sugar, vanilla & oak.

F - Medium bodied & light carbonation. Wet finish. Surprisingly I'm not getting much in the way of alcohol heat.

O - A lot of hype around this beer & the rating confirms that. A porter this big was sure to have a sweeter element. It's just a little too much for me, a baby Black Tuesday

4.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Big hype from the Midwest typically indicates one thing: a pretty good beer with inflated scores.

No Rules is certainly no exception.

This beer is basically an unbalanced and overly boozy version of what a poor Dark Lord barrel-aged variant might taste like. Everything on the palate is heat and barrel, followed by an unrestrained sweetness.

Future versions of this product may get better over time as the brewers figure out how to properly barrel-age the base beer and mellow out its sweetness, but as is, No Rules is simply another over-hyped beer.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Perrin.

I was skeptical of this as I've not really ever been impressed with a Perrin beer but this is just excellent. Smell is vanilla, cake frosting, maple syrup, cinnamon, dark malts. Really kicks in as it warms up and seemed to beg me to keep sipping.

Taste ALMOST follows through... at times it seemed like it was kicking on all cylinders and other times kept me wanting more, but this is a nitpick that is almost not worth mentioning, I'm getting tons of coconut and cinnamon with the bourbon alongside being just about perfect, not too faint or too boozy. Finish is long lasting dark, malty umami that was almost too much at times but for the most part came across really well.

The criticism of mouthfeel I keep reading is strange to me as I was glad it wasn't any thicker, it seemed to me to be the perfect vehicle to deliver the flavors, especially with the long lasting umami finish it just really works.

After Perrins opening I had high hopes but their beers just didn't deliver. Kill em all was amongst the worst barrel aged beers I've ever had so I was ready to write this one off too; really glad I didn't. The complete package is something really unique that I don't think I've had before in a BA stout. The mentioning of this in the same league as CBS and BCBS doesn't seem like overkill to me. Really hoping this is a sign of more great things to come at Perrin.

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is what happens, Larry. This is what happens when you [email protected]&# a stranger in the a$$, Larry. This is the kind of review you get when you make a damn good Porter--ever so sweet to hide that 15%--and good enough to make you forget about your White Russian. Shomer Shabbas.

4.62/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: standard dark look. Small head. As the glass empties looks like Coca Cola.

S: big time bourbon, vanilla, brown sugar. Molasses as well. Smells great.

T: wow!! Big barrel right away. A little spice from cinnamon kicks in then smooth in the back with vanilla. There's a soft touch from the coconut. Exceptional balance and flavor. I would say almost perfect.

F: oily is what comes to mind. Booze is not even there. Dangerously easy to drink. Each sip makes you want another.

O: world class beer. Glad I have another. Top 5 for me personally.

4.15/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a 22 oz brown bomber with no bottling date that I noticed, but given the style and the fact that this was only released a few weeks ago, I'm not terribly concerned. Time to see if this one lives up to the crazy buzz that's been surrounding it--poured into a large brandy-style snifter.

Appearance (4.25) - Pours a dark cola color from the bottle that becomes a fairly matte black-brown once it is all collected in the glass. If I hold it up to the light, I can see those same cola colored notes on the edges of the darker body. Atop sits a finger toasted marshmallow colored head that looks somewhat pillowy and only retains for a minute or so before turning into a ringlet around the edges of the glass. No lacing to be seen whatsoever, but some faint legs are present for a bit when the glass is tipped.

Smell (4.25) - There is a considerable sweetness on the smell that contains therein pleasant notes of coconut, brown sugar, and faint cinnamon. I'm really enjoying the gentle intertwining of the coconut and cinnamon, which both come through in a subtle and balanced manner, but I must admit a little trepidation at the fact that I can't really detect any alcohol (for a 15% beer no less!) or the contrapuntal notes of roast and bittersweet chocolate that are quintessential to the porter style and might serve to offset the sweeter elements. But for now, I'll put such worries aside and enjoy the delicious smell of this dessert beer.

Taste (4.0) - Initially, the wonderful balance of coconut and cinnamon that were previewed by the smell makes for a great first impression. Coconut and cinnamon are two of my favorite ingredients in a beer, but I think this is the first time I'd ever had them side by side in one beer. However, as I work my way through the glass I begin to get fatigued by the increasingly cloying sweetness that I can only assume comes from the use of the turbinado sugar. It seems my initial reservations about the smell lacking any elements of booziness or roasted char flavors have been realized, as I really want another flavor profile to cut through the confectionary melange from the coconut, sugar and cinnamon. The sweeter profiles all but drown out the barrel-aging; I'm sure there are some notes of vanilla and caramel, but it's hard to pick them out of the crowd. With some warmth, the sweetness is tempered a bit as the booze comes through more, but it's still sweet enough that I decide to cap my bottle to finish the second half the following night.

Mouthfeel (4.25) - Carbonation is on the low side of moderate and the body is medium-heavy in thickness. I wish it were a bit thicker, because I can't help but wonder if it would support the sweetness a bit better. The end result is a nice feel that gives the impression of slickness at times.

Overall (4.25), a beer that I enjoyed quite a bit while simultaneously coming away disappointed. It starts off so well, but becomes maddeningly monotonous as you work through the bottle. 22 oz was simply too much for me to finish in one sitting, but I can imagine that this would be a huge hit at settings where you only get 5-6 oz at a time. There are some excellent things going on in this beer, but it certainly was a lesson for me in Too Much Of A Good Thing. I will definitely be sharing my other bottles rather than taking them to the face like I tried to do with this one.

4.98/5  rDev +10.9%

I had to do this beer justice and drink a few before this review. I suggest starting at cellar temp and letting it warm. Huge cinnamon, coconut, vanilla and chocolate on the noise and the taste followed this as well. The alcohol along with the thinness of the porter really help the flavors flow well. I'm sending this to every beer geek buddy of mine! Just wow,

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle from LambicPentameter (thanks for hooking me up with this!). No discernible bottling date. Served in a Monday Night snifter.

Pours a deep, dark espresso brown with an eighth finger cap of tan head. The bubbles fade away to a thin ring around the edges without depositing any lace.

Huge, sweet nose of roast malt, lots of coconut, vanilla, sugar, burnt oak and faint coffee. Smells outstanding and that coconut keeps beckoning me to take another whiff.

Flavors are incredibly rich and decadent. Huge coconut notes abound from start to finish backed by bourbon, vanilla, sugar, fudge, oak, sweetened creamed coffee and a surprisingly subtle alcohol heat. All of the flavors work wonderfully together and help this huge beer go down with dangerous ease. Utterly delicious.

Big, thick, sludgy feel with nice, soft carbonation. Coconut, bourbon and sugary vanilla coat the tongue for a rich, lingering finish.

While I might debate calling this 15% abv barrel aged behemoth a porter, No Rules is freaking fantastic. Everything I look for in this style is here from the smell, the intense flavors and that wonderfully satisfying full body. This one is highly recommended and well worth some effort to acquire/ try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Huge thanks to rudzud for the epic share.

Pours a mild fizzy darker colored head that fades quickly, nice long legs, almost pitch black color.

Nose is very dense and complex, dark choc almost fudgey, hint of nutty toffee and caramel, big vanilla bourbon, bourbon barrel, and hints of nougat, hint of candied raisin, the nutty aroma blends into a mild smooth coffee, nutty slight earthy smooth coffee, then suddenly a huge maple candy, back into cocoa fudge and coconut, then an earthy nutty Vietnamese coffee with a creamy iced coffee thing.

Taste brings big layered flavours again, different chocolates, creamy fudgey cocoa, with bakers choc, and creamy choc inside a lindor truffle. Into nice bourbon barrel juice, vanilla barrel, nice vanilla and some coconut as well. Hint bitter roast, touch earthy hop, creamy milk choc. Then coffee, mild smooth nutty coffee, Vietnamese like coffee I think. Then big maple flavor, maple cream. Nice caramel and nutty toffee. Hint bitter roast later, mild sweetness on the finish with tons of maple lingering, caramel, nice coconut and cocoa, vanilla barrel and bourbon lingering. Semi sweet.

Mouth is on the heavier side, fuller, little syrupy, hint of booze, decent but lighter carb.

Overall very nice, little sweet and syrupy, tons of nice maple, great bourbon barrel and caramel candy, etc, mild coffee wish it was a bit more, cocoa was nice but wish it was more too, but I'm nitpicking, it was an awesome beer.

3.65/5  rDev -18.7%

Nice dark brown-black pour, medium tan head that receded to a ringlet; wispy retention and nice lacing. Major coconut on the nose...like really, if you like coconut, it doesn't get better than this. It pretty much overwhelms anything else in the aroma, but there are some traces of bourbon. As would be expected, there's a lot of toasted coconut in the taste as well, dark malt sweetness with some roast, notes of vanilla, neutral booze. Body was a little on the thin side, and kind of harsh/hot with booze. Decent, but kind of messy overall, but might be interesting with a little time on it, even if the coconut fades a bit.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got a bottle of this prior to release about a week ago. I opened it with a group of friends and split it up between a set of 4oz flight flutes after being held around 45 degrees. It poured a dark brown with minimal head. Strong vanilla oak on the nose and possibly maple. Flavor was delicious, surprisingly heavy for a porter, and had similar tasting properties to what was experienced from the scent. This was aged in the same Buffalo Trace PVW barrels that held their Kill Em All Imperial Stout previously.
Definitely worth trying.

3.91/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

How in the beer loving world is this rated so highly ?

Appearance is oily and flat.
Aromas are actually decent and inviting.
Taste is way too sweet . . . Extremely sweet. Like a barrel aged diet dr. pepper with chocolate added, 23 or 24 flavors all arguing and nobody getting along.
Feel is sticky.
Overall I am not impressed in the least.

4.34/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nearly too sweet, maybe more just a bit too much coconut for me. DIdn't think the body was too thin, not as thick as some of the "name" stouts, but has a nice viscosity to it. Manages the 15% very well.
Very nice and certainly the best I've had from these guys, maybe just can't go as high as some others seem to think due to personal preference.

4.06/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Imperial porter brewed with coconut and turbinado sugar aged for several months in bourbon barrels. Poured from a bottle into a MadTree snifter. The beer is nearly black, not too viscous, and sports very little head. A whiff of the bottle before pouring yields strong aromas of coconut and freshly-baked cookies. After pouring, I get strong bourbon notes, toasted oak, and some sweet boozy aromas.

Full body with an oily feel and an intensely sweet flavor. Massive notes of brown sugar, toffee, milk chocolate and cafe latte up front. At mid-palate, toasted coconut, hazelnut, and rich bourbon. The finish is a sugary blast of chocolate sauce, caramel, and coconut with lots of rummy alcohol notes.

Gotta love a beer that references one of my favorite movies - The Big Lebowski (``Am I the only one who gives a s**t about the rules?''), but gosh is this stuff sweet! The flavor is wonderful, but the high level of sweetness detracts from the drinkability in my opinion. I couldn't handle more than a small serving. I have to wonder if this beer might not be better without the turbinado sugar in there. At 15% ABV, this beer should taste plenty sweet without any extra help. The taste of this beer made me think of the "chocolate frosted sugar bombs" breakfast cereal from the old Calvin and Hobbes comic strip.

4.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Take a back seat, coffee, because this beer is driven by strong, distinct notes of cinnamon hearts, bourbon, candied pecans, maple, brown sugar, gingerbread, cookie dough, raisin, Fig Newtons and coconut. And no - I'm not referring to subtle nuances, nor am I throwing around fanciful descriptor words just to beef up this review or hype up this beer. This beer deserves any and all hype it is given, and those flavours are all there.

Were I to dream up "the perfect beer", it would be this one - though perhaps with a more full-bodied, sticky mouthfeel. That said, this is a porter, not an imperial stout, and so its lighter body might be expected.

If you're looking for a thick, creamy beer, move along. It's the complex, layered flavour profile that makes this masterful offering from Perrin a standout beer that is well worth seeking out.

I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

4.41/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving: 1 Pint, 6 Fluid Ounces bomber poured into a Founder's CBS Snifter. Orange bowling ball-2017 edition.

A: Pours a bit thin, but sits nice in the glass. Pitch black, thin mocha head.

S: Very nice. Huge bourbon up front, reminiscent of Parabola. Past that is some nice notes of vanilla, oak, brown sugar, and a touch of coconut.

T: A bit cloying here. Initially is very nice, with a bright splash of vanilla, coconut and hazelnut. After a few sips though, it gets a bit too sweet and just becomes a sugar rush.

M: Not too bad. Medium mouthfeel. Super high ABV actually well hidden, not boozy at all.

O: This beer was released for the first time just after I left Grand Rapids. While in Chicago, I never even heard of it until a little over a year ago. I was stunned to hear Perrin had a chart-topping whale hitting the trade forums like this. I knew they made some great beer, but didn't know they were capable of generating this kind of hype. So naturally, I was curious. While I like this beer and think it's actually one of Perrin's best, it simply doesn't live up to the hype. It reminds me of Dark Lord, as a very sweet, sometimes cloying, sugar-stout. But Dark Lord actually has a bit of an edge from the coffee to get some bitterness in there to balance it out. This one just doesn't have that. The barrel is nice though, very well done. Good in moderation, just can't drink a whole bottle.

Recommendation: If you're a Michigan or GR local, yeah, check this out. Everyone else, don't be fooled into a trade.

4.35/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

More brown than black, opaque, minimal head that fades. Little lacing. Nose of bourbon, cinnamon, some bitter coffee ... smells ... sweet and boozy. Oak, vanilla, chocolate in the mix. Strong cinnamon flavor, not acrid though. If there's supposed to be coconut I'm not getting it. Medium body, warming, lots of bourbon that manages to stay this side of alcohol heat. Really solid but not quite deserving of the world-class rating it's getting.

4.56/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a dark chocolate brown color with a light, creamy thin lacing ring.

S - Bourbon, cocoa, milk chocolate, vanilla.

T - Very unique flavor: Milk chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, bourbon, light oak, and a cinnamon-like spice quality. Most impressive, for 15% there's little to no alcohol burn and the warming is ever so slight on the way down.

M - Heavy, thick, full bodied - velvet-like, slippery, sticky. Coats the mouth with spicy bourbon and chocolate.

O - This is an outstanding beer.

4.92/5  rDev +9.6%

Excellent beer. The best yet I've had from Perrin. Has a nice sweetness but not overpowering. The coconut and other flavors really come through as it warms up. Highly recommended!

4.87/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

HArd poured this one out of a 12 oz bottle ( havent tried a bomber yet). nice creme brule colored creamy foam that dissipates quick leaving some lacing. Thick black pour. So much going on with the nose. Cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg, booze, oak. The taste is phenomanal. Starts with a nice warming booze flavor, but not nearly like a shot. Nutmeg, coconut, chocolate, oak, cinnamon send pleasure endorphins to the brain. So well balanced and so many flavors. Thick mouthfeel which makes you just want to let this rest on your palate. Can not tell that this is 15%. To me this beer trumps kbs which I also had today. Just short of CBS in my mind, but a definite top 10 in my personal beer rankings.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to Max for hooking me up with bottle. Shared with JLindros.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a nice dark almost black hue with a thin mocha head that fades to leave a thin mocha halo. Great legs.

S - Aromas of loads of chocolate, some type of bourbon note, very light coffee notes, loads of coconut from the barrel, lots of maple syrup. Really complex, really smooth. Lots of great aromatics that fade in and out with each sniff.

T - Taste is loads of bourbon and chocolate, then loads of coconut barrel notes with some roasty coffee before WHAM maple syrup. The chocolate is really layered and deep with awesome bourbon and barrel notes. The maple comes out as soon as one swallows. This beer really pops as it warms, loads of barrel, chocolate, maple, coconut and coffee. Really impressive.

M - Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, little slick, alcohol hidden well though.

O - Overall this beer was really tasty, super complex with amazing chocolate and bourbon notes. This is definitely a shocker. Wow. Just wow.

2.64/5  rDev -41.2%

Look: Dark, low carbonation, minimal lacing

Smell: Well it smells good, there is that.

Taste: Cinnamon, how the heck do I rate to BJCP Style with a hot cinnamony mess of a Porter? Who decided a Porter needed cinnamon?

Feel: Kind of flat.

Overall: I don't know how I am so far off from everyone on this one. I'm finding this pretty nasty at cellar temp. I popped it in the fridge hoping the cold might tame this beast and allow me to finish my $15.00 bottle. Perrin, When you Name your beer series "Killing Craft", I am not sure if this is what you had in mind.

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Huge thanks to the gracious nograz for handing this to me in a dark parking lot. I didn’t touch him, whatever he says. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

Pour dark black. Minimal head. The nose is dominated by coconut, along with a latent sweetness & a touch of roast &/or burnt oak. Did you know Janet Jackson is up for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? She’s still hot.

No Rules: a DUI waiting to happen. Alcohol flames the palate before subsiding to let a few other things pass (no Balrog). Big coconut notes, but I can’t tell if it’s riding over the bourbon or vice versa, but who cares? Mid-palate brings more joy: chocolate, molasses of the best kind, marshmallows, more heat, definite tugging. Thick, thicker, thickest. I’m sucking this down like a session porter. It is, right?

This beer is certainly Jacksonesque (no, not Michael, knock it off). I’m eyeing my wife’s portion of this & thinking I should have taken this when she was out of town last week. Dammit. Believe the hype - this beer deserves it’s place among the elite.

4.79/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is just an absolutely fantastic barrel-aged beer brewed by Perrin. A big thanks to Ckoz for giving me the heads-up on this one.

Keep in mind that this is a porter, so the thickness and mouthfeel of a heavy imperial stout isn't there, but as a porter, it does not disappoint. A bit of a heavier porter, smooth, nice carb. As for being 15%, you would never guess it as the bourbon/heat is very well hidden. Great nose on this in the glass, and as it gradually warms, the taste provides more & more complimenting notes of vanilla, slight bourbon, coconut, maple, cinnamon....DAMN GOOD! Most definitely one of my favorite beers of recent releases.

4.25/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

10oz pour for $5 at Townhall, Cleveland. 32oz crowler for $10.

Black-brown elixir into snifter, 1/2 inch brown head, quickly to a thin rim. No lacing but legs on all sides.

Vanilla, chocolate, coconut, caramel, brown sugar, coffee, barrel. A really nice amalgam of flavors.

Sweet brown sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, oak and bourbon. The sweetness of the brown sugar decreases as the brew warms, allowing the barrel and booze to provide a nice counter.

Sticky, slightly under carbonated with the alcohol well hidden.

This had the potential to be a home run but the sugar sweetness overwhelms. Still a nice dessert sipper.

No Rules from Perrin Brewery