Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Café Vaillant | Paradox Beer Company

paradoxbeercompany.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Domvan on 02-28-2015

3.86/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.99/5  rDev +9.6%

this beer is awesome. they call it a salted caramel dark sour ale with coffee. the salted caramel bit might be a stretch, although they have definitely developed some nice sweeter grain layers in the middle of this thing. its inventive and unique beer, well executed and fairly priced. its lovely in the glass, the darkest possible shade of brown, with an easily aroused short chocolate brown head, airy and light for its color. maybe a hint of red to it in the right light. the nose is the usual paradox cultures, a little on the vinegar side or sour, but its mature lacto and oak, smells to me like red wine barrels were used too, it has that fruity tannic property. the coffee is awesome in the dark malts. some acidity there too, sort of helps integrate it i think. its earthy with a touch of smoke and sweet for the coffee, and the bitter dark grain loves it. the balance here is awesome, and the depth of this beer is impressive. it gets a little acidic for me as it warms up, hard to finish off the last little bit for my gut, but they have built a really clever beer here. it would be neat to do a just brett edition of this, take a little of the acid out of it but keep the funk. worth picking up, especially if you have been turned off by their beer lately, this one is highly redeeming.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

3.47/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Thanks @Dan_K for the opportunity to try this one, but I have to admit I was not blown away by this one..

This was only my second Paradox beer, but man, this one did not rise to the level of Skully #30 for me...for starters, and, probably silly of me, I did not expect this to be sour/tart. That threw me off haha...I love tart beers, but this one just left me wanting a sweet/salty caramel like the label suggests...I got none of that from the brew, maybe a little vanilla awash in vinegary coffee.

Glad to have tried it but not my favorite beer by any means.

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer will divide most but I fuck with it.

It was a gusher and that shit was annoying but it poured like a viscous imperial stout. In the glass it's a beautiful ebony with a dark khaki head.

Smells like a tart but rich imperial stout complete with succulent dark chocolate and caramel and, yes, salt. Where dat coffee doe?

Flavor has some real appeal: dark chocolste, raisins, berries, and salted caramel. Buuuut, that coffee kinda fucks shit up. It's stale and bitter as a high school football coach with a sucky team projecting his failure to go pro on his athletes.

Aside from that harsh bitterness, the tartness is on point, it's creamy, full and smoky.

This beer is a sensory experience and it won't appeal to all nor does it completely succeed, but it standouts in the beer world without a doubt.

3.69/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.01/5  rDev -17.3%

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle 379/2160

Total gusher. I get no coffee or salted caramel. Just a lot of fruity acidity and vinegar. I think this is past its prime and wished I had gotten to it sooner.

4.19/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.49/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Gusher. Dark sour. Funky. Black with tan head. A lot of coffee. Some oak and vanilla. Caramel. Sour twang to it.

2.55/5  rDev -29.9%

3.89/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The coffee and sour nose is not what you get in flavor, which was caramel and had a finish consistent with some Belgian yeasts (I know it's not comparable, but the same finish as a Westy XII). But where'd the sour go?

3.61/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours dark. Deep rich dark tan head. Smells tart. Let's try it. Salty, caramel, touch of iced black coffee. It's really good for a sour. Wow. Not getting any lacing but the head wasn't that thick to start with. I have been trying any paradox brand beers I can get my hands on. There have been a few that were wows. They have it going on. I recommend to anyone interested is sours to give this company a few chances. They are all unique and we'll done.

3.02/5  rDev -17%

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.46/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was possibly one of the most bizarre beers I've ever had. Basically it's a salted caramel coffee oaked dark sour. The weirdest thing about it, is that is was actually good. I mean, I wouldn't drink a lot of it, but the point is, a beer like this shouldn't have been good, and it was (relatively speaking).

Dark brown-black pour, with a medium brown head. Strange aroma of a soured porter, with light notes of coffee and wood. It may sound stupid to say this, but the caramel taste really came out nicely in this beer, and it felt like I was chewing on a caramel cube. Yet it was sour, and quite sour at that. Dark berries, and dark chocolate notes in there, and hints of roasted coffee. Medium body, and an interesting collage on the mouthfeel.

This is definitely a bottle to share, and seeing the reactions to it will probably be a big part of the fun.

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

3.62/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Café Vaillant from Paradox Beer Company