Grapefruit Harvest IPA | Abita Brewing Co.

Grapefruit Harvest IPAGrapefruit Harvest IPA

Added by Mikecap on 11-29-2013

1.25/5  rDev -64.7%

1.75/5  rDev -50.6%

1.89/5  rDev -46.6%

Could only take 1 sip. Not at all what I was expecting. I like citrus type hops and thought this would be somewhat like Stone's Project Grapefruit, but alas, it was not. If you like fruit beer, I suppose this would appeal to you, but I had to deep six the rest.

1.91/5  rDev -46%

Last year I just LOVED this release - something went wrong this go round - maybe just a bad batch?

Dislike. Flat. No aroma

2.03/5  rDev -42.7%

One of the worst craft beers I've ever had. Bitter to the point where it was undrinkable. Avoid!

2.1/5  rDev -40.7%

There is a place in God's creation for Grapefruit beer. In fact, I think the "Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix" is an amazingly good example. And this Abita IPA started off with a promisingly good look and aroma …but… Bleck! This beer manages to have all the bitterness of Grapefruit without any of the flavor.

2.25/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Never been one to go the IPA route but thought I would try this because of the grapefruit. While it turned out to be lighter and more pleasant than expected it was still far too bitter for my yet unrefined palate. I'm hoping to get there someday though so that I can appreciate the world of IPAs that so many others seem to so thoroughly enjoy.

2.32/5  rDev -34.5%

2.38/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle poured into a Stone IRS snifter. Have not had any other beers today before sampling.

A: Little head recedes to nothing, not a speck of lacing. Very translucent, looks like a pils.

S: It's got a lot of pilsner like maltiness: baked breads, rice, etc. Minor grapefruit, but very contrived, and totally misses out on the "freshly made tropical fruit salad" that IS my vision of an AIPA.

T: There's just nothing powerful about the taste of this, at all. I really don't get any fruits (hop or additive based) at all. All I can really pick out is some toasted crackers, finishes with a really minor white part of the grapefruit rind, but it's a stretch. Not bitter enough at all.

M: I'll call the mouthfeel the best part of this beer: light, crispy, drying, somewhat refreshing. Unfortunately, that's not really what I expect for the style.

O: I personally didn't enjoy this, really, at all. While a good AIPA says "grapefruit" nowhere on the label and delivers tons, this was precisely the opposite. I'll just finish with:

"Green Flash fans": only try this if you want a reminder of why you love what you love.
"Abita fan looking to branch out": this isn't a good representation of an IPA in my opinion at all. I know this is a brewery people from LA love dearly, so continue to support local beer, but try some other examples before you write off IPA.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Only a hint of grapefruit, not very hoppy for an IPA. On the plus side, not very filling.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

Grapefruit Harvest IPA from Abita Brewing Co.