Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Grapefruit Harvest IPA | Abita Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Availability: Fall

Added by Mikecap on 11-29-2013

Reviews: 110 | Ratings: 566
3.64/5  rDev +1.4%

I picked up a bottle of Abita's Grapefruit Harvest IPA last week for $1.69 at The lager Mill. I was looking for a new beer to try and I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name and I think it's just slightly eye catching. It poured a hazy golden color that took more of an orange color when held to the light with just about two fingers worth of bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the grapefruit being the first to show up and it imparts a nice grapefruit juice like aroma that seems to be the aroma that sticks out the most in this beer. Up next comes the hops which impart a light floral and light piney and green hop like aromas with hardly any malt aromas. The aroma was pretty nice, but I wish it had better balance.

T- The taste seems to similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the grapefruit still being the first to show up and it imparts that same grapefruit juice like aspect. Up next comes just a slight malty flavors that goes right into the hops which impart more of a spicy and earthy hops flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a slight hoppy and grapefruit juice like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I still wish the balance was better.

M- Smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This is beer had a good mouthfeel, I liked how refreshing it was.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of the style, it was pretty much what I expected it to be with the grapefruit being the most dominating aspect and while that wasn't bad I thought it was in need of more balance. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, a little refreshing, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a few of these especially on a hot day. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel and along with the aroma I thought those were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the balance, I wish the hops came through a little more and the malts showed up a lot more. I would buy this beer again, especially if it was hot out and I wanted something a little refreshing. I would recommend this to anyone who likes grapefruit beers. All in all I liked this beer, but the balance held it back from being an impressive beer. I still enjoyed it nonetheless. It's not my favorite Abita beer, but it is one of the better Grapefruit beers Iv;e had. Nice job guys, this was a solid beer, keep it up.

I spotted this beer on my walk in the beer section of Publix, and thought "hummnnn, this might be good".

IPA's and grapefruit are a match made in heaven (like peanut butter and stouts). I figure that they couldn't possibly screw it up!

A: This beer is very clean and pale. It comes off on the lighter side of straw. Not too shabby
S: This beers smells is pretty subtle. A combination of light malt and sweet grapefruit, but its very subtly. Might be a lot stronger in a better glass (like a widemouth mason jar or a sniffer).

Which is what I did. I poured it in a mason jar and it actually smelled a bit like peaches. Pretty snazzy.
T: What is their to say? it tastes like blood orange soda........no wait, it tastes like a shandy I made with a IPA and blood orange soda. Id say that they nailed what it is they where going for

Overall: I originally gave this one a rather lower rating, but upon inspection, I really have to give it the thumbs up. To rehash, this beer tastes like a IPA shandy. That's a really good thing, and I even think it would be good for people looking to get into IPA's or craft beer in general.

A good find off the Publix shelves. Make sure to request that they stock more beers like this one.

(Id drink this beer again)
4/5

3.39/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a pale yellow with an off white, very fizzy head. The smell is all grapefruit and acid. The taste was heavy on the grapefruit, but the flavors of the hops and grapefruit together were actually very well paired and mingled with one another nicely. Didn't think I would like this one at all and it came to be a pretty refreshing brew.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I’ve begun searching for the ideal after-mowing-the-lawn brew for the summer. I’ve enjoyed a few homebrews with fresh citrus (typically orange) zest over the years. The use of fruit bitterness to replace or augment some of the otherwise-too-hoppy-for-summer IBU count of a typical IPA appeals to me. Given Abita’s reputation and a relatively low IBU of 40 for an IPA, I figured I check this one out.

Appearance- hazy and inviting – ideal straw-colored lightness for sipping while watching a summer sunset

Aroma- grapefruit blends nicely with cascade hop character

Taste- grapefruit dominates and persists, but a bit too tart and dry for my palate. Abita uses Ruby Red grapefruit zest, but I’m not sufficiently discerning to detect whether this differs from white grapefruit.

Overall- This IPA has the right balance I’m looking for – not too hoppy and yet sufficiently refreshing, but I’d prefer something a little less tart.

Tweaks – I happened to have a growler of Great South Bay’s Blood Orange Pale Ale in the fridge, so I tried a 50/50 blend. Result: perfection! Reminiscent of the Bluebird Orange Grapefruit Juice I drank as a kid.

3.86/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Found this gem in hatteras nc. Always had a fondness for abita beers due to living in a hurricane prone area myself.

The attractive label caught my eye on this one and being a fan of abita harvest beers I had to have this one. Chilled it and had after supper and another beer. I did cleanse my palate.

Pour- slight hazy amber with a beautiful head and good retention

Smell- Great!! I instantly thought of my first home brew IPA and the usage of cascade hops. Upon reading the label it was indeed brewed with cascades. After a minute you can smell the grapefruit.

Taste- I can taste the grapefruit right up front along with the hops then the malt but mostly grapefruit.

Burp- tastes of grapefruit and cascades (pretty damn good)

Overall- Good beer, Good after supper beer. I will buy a six pack next time

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a thin head on a cloudy straw colored body.
The aroma is faint grapefruit.
The taste has a strong grapefruit bitter start which mellows out to sweet and malt balance in the middle to finish.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
The lack of smell was a letdown but the grapefruit (from real grapefruit) flavor was nice.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a murky amber with superb 4-finger (!) head. Lovely, frilly lace.

Aroma is nicely grapefruit, no doubt about it, through and through. Seems okay so far.

Taste is definitely heavy on the grapefruit, but sweet rather than tart, sour, or acidic. I get very little bitterness, as one would expect from (A) a grapefruit-infused beer, and (B) an IPA. There's also a vague mineral-like flavor underneath the flavoring, which detracts slightly from my tasting.

And although this is quite approachable and easy to drink, I think it lacks some essential American IPA characteristics (like a touch of bittering). Certainly not a bad beer, just something I'm not completely sold on.

Excellent! This is just as I imagined it could be - great!

It looks like a good AIPA - nice and yellow/orange with just a bit of lacing. The aroma is a nice unique blend of grapefruit and hoppy goodness. It works.

Similarly, the taste is a great balanced AIPA with a bit of added tartness from a grapefruit additive. It totally works - it is like an APA, but with a lot going on. The aftertaste similarly is very tart but totally refreshing. It all works.

An interesting experiment would be a 2x - make it maltier and just a tad more grapefruit. As it is, though, this is a well made, unique brew. Recommended.

3.02/5  rDev -15.9%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I thoroughly enjoyed Abita's root beer last night, so I figured I'd grab another bottle from bayou country. This stuff pours a clear amber-brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mild grass, pine resin, rube red grapefruit peel, and an off-putting bit of cabbage. The taste focuses on the grapefruit (I know, contain your shock), with some light caramel, grass, mild pine, and orange zest bits floating around in the background ether. Thankfully, that odd cabbage bit is gone, but the grass and grapefruit occasionally clash, making up for any positive ground gained. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, it delivers what it promises, but it's not all that great-tasting, what with the clash of hops and grapefruit.

3.79/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The Abita Grapefruit Harvest is a nice beer. The appearance was docked because its lack of lacing. It poured clear (I made sure no sediment made it to my glass) with thin white head....not lace. The scent carried a fresh hop with bitter citrus flare. The taste carries grapefruit but it is very well balanced with sweet malt. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall this is a good beer and I would drink it again.

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

After disliking Abita's Purple Haze with raspberries and absolutely hating their Strawberry Harvest Lager, I was hesitant to try another fruit beer from the brewery, especially at my neighborhood bar where it was going for $7/tulip glass.

I was pleasantly surprised by this IPA. If you enjoy citrus-y IPAs and Mosaic and Citra hops, you'll probably like this. The flavour and aroma reminded me more of hops than of fruit additives, which in my opinion is a good thing. Excellent aroma, excellent flavour, lovely mouthfeel, nice and dry with the right amount of carbonation.

I'm looking forward to finding this in 6-packs or on tap for less than seven bucks. I could get through a lot of this during the summer.

3.49/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a fresh bottle into a shaker. White foamy head, dissipated quickly. Some light lacking throughout drink. Cloudy yellow orange sunshine in a glass.

The nose? Surprise...grapefruit! Add a hint of bread and a little green pine.

Above average carbonation, slightly watery on the mouth. Prominently bitter grapefruit, some orange and lemon peel with a touch of sweet honey. The finish is quick and clean, slightly bitter with a dash of pepper.

Not bad...not great...good. My wife loves this stuff...I figure it's a great way to get her into IPAs? It has all the basics, citrus, pine, hoppy, bready, bitter...so many good IPAs out there, I probably wouldn't buy for myself but I wouldn't turn one down at a party. Cheers!

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Poursa light orange color with a pink tint to it. Small 1/2 finger head

S - LOVE the smell. Smells like a ruby red grapefruit

T - Not nearly as overpowering as the aroma. The grapefruit is still present though and really stands out. Great flavor

M - A light drinking sessionale IPA. Smooth and feels slick in the mouth

O - Love it. Agreat sessionable IPA. Dont want it all thetime but will be picking it up again from time to time

3.96/5  rDev +10.3%

A – A hazy light gold with small suspended particles. A thick white one finger head that leaves chunky lacing around the glass as it dissolves.

S – it has nice smooth grapefruit smell with a little malt in the background

T – the taste is the same as the smell. Has a nice well balanced taste of grapefruit without being over powering

M – has a medium body mouth feel with a light amount of carbonation.

O - overall this is a great beer if you like grapefruit. It’s smooth and not overpowering. A drinkable beer with great flavor that last. I wouldn’t change a thing about this beer, it stands on its own.

Enjoy-

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 4/29/2014. Pours moderately hazy golden amber color with a 1-2 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, grapefruit peel, tangerine, orange zest, citrus rind, floral, grass, light pine, light caramel, light bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with nice authentic grapefruit and bright hop notes with moderate malt presence; and good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, grapefruit peel, tangerine, orange zest, citrus rind, floral, grass, light pine, light caramel, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Fair amount of citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, citrus peel, floral, grass, light pine, light bread, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice authentic grapefruit and hop flavors with moderate malt sweetness; with a nice malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, and fairly crisp/sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice fruit IPA. All around good balance of grapefruit, hop, and malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.69/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured on tap at The Bayou in Bethlehem, Pa.

A- pours a golden grain color with a white frothy head that dissipates quickly. Visible lacing around the glass as I sip and a thin foam head that stays with the brew

S- great bouquet of hops with some citrusy (obviously grapefruit) notes and a hint of crystal malt perhaps.

T- flavor is of sticky, citrusy hops and well balanced malt characteristics. A pleasant bitterness is present upon swallowing and it lingers for quite some time.

M- a sticky sweetness on the front and a nice dry bitterness on the tongue on the back end. Not extremely drinkable, but definitely tasty!

O- very well rounded as an IPA. A firm malt base and an excellent hop bouquet leave for a delicious brew that is quite enjoyable

Cheers!

4.23/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured from a pint glass.

A: Poured a dark golden color with a good fingers worth of head that settles to a ring with spotty lacing from start to finish.

S: I'm getting some light floral hop, a burst of grapefruit and a little sweet malt at the end.

T: Pretty normal IPA, hops are the biggest thing you taste...with a little sweet malt.... Then the wonderful sweet/bitter grapefruit kicks in.. Great balance with a lightly bitter aftertaste.

M: Light to mid bodied with a nice crisp carbonation. Little lighter than most IPA's I'm had.

O: OK... I'm not a big IPA guy but I have to say I really like this one... Good ABV makes this on a good session beer. Worth looking for.

2.67/5  rDev -25.6%

A - Pours a clear golden color. Half a finger of a frothy milky looking head which slowly fades to just a thin layer. Good amount of lacing.

S - Fruity hop aromas. Grapefruit (obviously), orange, lime. Very light hop aromas, really.

T - Up front it tastes like grapefruit juice which transfers into some other citrus hop flavors. Orange and lemon. Bitter finish which goes from hop bitterness to, once again, the aftertaste of grapefruit juice. Not really a fan.

M - Good carbonation. Light bodied.

O - Smells pretty good and looks good. I wasn't really a fan of the grapefruit juice flavor. All in all, glad I got this as part of a pick six.

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%

Slightly hazy golden pour with medium carbonation. Nice grapefruit smell. Initial taste has a nice balance between grapefruit and citrus flavors and hop bitterness. A bit of wheat in the body. Finishes with a mild flowery bitterness.

3.49/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Trailing the success of Strawberry Harvest, The southern brewers of Abita ventures into other prominent fruit crops of the region- grapefruit!

Its bright goldenrod sheen is cast with a mild "dry-hopped" type of haze that scatters light like a tiny beery prism. What ensues above is a frothy white cap that shaddows over the ale with a cottony visual texture with the staying power to last the session and lace the glass with each sip.

Its aromas are all grapefruit- but mostly of the hop character that IPA lovers have come to expect. Except there's a red grapefruit scent, strikingly of fruit juices that are equipped with pulp, pith, skin and leaf. Lurking just behind is the thin biscuit and grain scent- offering just enough graham cracker and caramel to support the citrus flavor of hops and of fruit

Its grain sweetness is softly of caramel, dried barley and the husk character of whole grain muffins. But once the hops grow into the middle, the sweetness is left at bay and the lupulin grapefruit flavor springs to life, towering over more obvious flavor of actual grapefruit additions. Its difference lies in the sharp and tangy bitterness of pink grapefruit, not relying on the imagination to pull like character from the hops.

Effortless in its drinkability, the beer's medium-light body trends lighter as the carbonation pulls from the malt and its trailing sweetness dissolves off the tongue. Ushering in a quick and refreshing dryness, the hops are lightly resinous and astringent, softly acidic, as it offers up a mineral-type crispness to allow the beer to finish quick, with only lingering grapefruit bitterness.

Though the actual grapefruit presence is well tasted and acknowledged, the ale lacks the intrigue of some similar fruit beers; probably because the likeness of hop-type grapefruit flavor and actual grapefruits that seems to take some of the fun out of it from a tasting perspective. However, as a light IPA, the ale is comfortable and charming.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: red-gold in color, 1/3 inch head, hazy, low carbonation

Smell: citrus hops, toasted malt, and grapefruit

Taste: citrus hops, toasted malt, and grapefruit

Mouthfeel: light bodied, medium carbonation, sweet start with a slightly bitter end

Overall: Surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. The grapefruit is present, but really only asserts its presence at the end. I do not think this is as good as strwberry or pecan harvest, but is a lot better than satsuma. I would pick this up again.

3.09/5  rDev -13.9%

eyes...
fluffy white head that sits around 2 fingers on a normal pour, clean with a slighty orange hue, active carbonation leap frogging itself to race to the top, super sticky stucco lacing, good head retention, a really nice looking mug o' suds

nose...
nice grapefruit (real tones not the type from say amarillo hops - which I love but they are different), some herbal hop notes, pretty straight forward but enjoyable

taste etc...
grapefruit seltzer ? the grapefruit flavor is a bit front forward (I know that may be the point - obviously), it is distracting to me, there is some bitterness in the back end, and even some syrupy malt, the carbonation is a bit more subtle than I would like but is not terrible

verdict?
I can't see any reason to buy this brew again. It isn't terrible but it certainly is not worth a try.

3.01/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Golden tan, yellow with a nice 1 inch white, foamy head. Lots of lacing.

Smell - A little grapefruit but really, hardly any aroma.

Taste - Mild grapefruit kick, much like a lambic in flavor. Some lemon and a little orange. A little honey and a minor malt backbone. Really about all this has to offer.

Mouthfeel - Light grapefruit and some honey coats the tongue. Palate gets grapefruit, honey, lemon and a little malt. Aftertaste is very weak grapefruit and watery.

Overall - Very simple, light and basic. This would be a fine summer beer, or for someone starting out with ipa's. Very simplistic and super easy to drink. It is what it is.

3.84/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Part of mixed sixer.

Pours an effervescent honey/apricot with a thumb+ of fast falling pearl colored head. Above average head retention

S: Pink Grapefruit & nothing else

T: Follows the nose, dryness, pears& white pepper up front. More grapefruit as this warms, dryness & more grapefruit. Some grassy notes mix in with more grapefruit in the finish, very crisp, with some honey malt & leafy hops & some lemon zest

MF: Medium bodied, lively carbonation, seems a bit sticky, balanced pretty well

Super easy to drink, I would buy this again, if I ever get off of meds that prohibit me from consuming grapefruit. The IPA component seems to be obscured by the fruit for the most part or I would've rated this higher

2.89/5  rDev -19.5%

This one is just alright. Nothing special there. For the price much better IPA's are available and not long after I drank this one I got a terrible headache. Coincidence maybe, but this only rarely happens. I have enjoyed Abita's other beers on several occasions and this one isn't a bad beer its just nothing overwhelming either.

Color: Straw yellow

Smell: Some Grapefruit, but not as much as you would think.

Taste: Once again some grapefruit, but not as much as I would have expected. It does taste like an IPA, but not an overly strong grapefruit component, considering its whats being touted by Abita on this one.

Overall: Nothing spectacular, but solid.

Grapefruit Harvest IPA from Abita Brewing Co.