Seersucker Summer Pilsner | Abita Brewing Co.

Seersucker Summer PilsnerSeersucker Summer Pilsner

Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: German Pilsener

Availability: Summer

Abita Seersucker Summer Pils is a traditional pilsner with a full bodied malt flavor, hop bitterness and a light golden color. It is made with pilsner and carapils malts, hopped with German Tradition and Spalt hops.

Added by Jason on 04-27-2014

Liked:
3.48/5
Alströms:

1.75/5  rDev -49.7%

1.75/5  rDev -49.7%

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Average craft beer, like other summer ales better

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

2.68/5  rDev -23%

Aroma is pale malts, mild/medium sweetness and slightly perfumed. The flavor is pale malts, light citrus, slightly dirty and a sweetish finish.

2.69/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy gold color. The head is three fingers high and white in shade. The retention is actually pretty solid, and there are some streaks of lacing left behind.

S: There is some hoppiness coming through...the problem is, it's a vegetal, bell-peppery kind of bitterness. Letting it open up will turn it back into the grassy, lemony kind of bite I like from a pilsner. If nothing else, it's good to see Abita actually bother to hop this fairly well.

T: It seems to suffer from the problem many Abita brews do: it tastes like a craft beer diluted to about 75% strength. Lemony hops linger throughout the flavor profile, with malty touches near the opening. Nothing wrong with this per se, it's just really bland.

M: This is so light and dry, it feels insubstantial - watery, even. It goes down superbly (without even relying on overdone carbonation), but that's because it's so mild. Other, more substantial pilsners can easily achieve such a high drinkability factor without resorting to tasting like they're watered down.

O: Reading my latest issue of Beer Connoisseur magazine (DON'T KILL ME ALSTROM BROS., IT WAS A FRIGGEN GIFT), I stumbled upon an article about Abita and how their beers are designed purely with the intent of being paired with Cajun cuisine. The problem with this is that it's just weak by itself - almost like it NEEDS a food pairing to make it work. Protip: great beer should be able to stand on its lonesome. Given how easily I can get some great lagers, this is doomed to becoming an utter afterthought.

2.75/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

I didn't spit it out but that's many more Pils I prefer over this beer.

2.97/5  rDev -14.7%

My first review... Be gentle please. First and foremost gents and ladies (or ladies and gents), this beer is meant to be poured. My first 12oz. was from the bottle and all I received was a citrus-like taste with a noticeable bitter after taste that my palate associates with ale's. My first round was quite less pleasurable than I expected from my favorite Louisiana, born and bread, brewery. However, the second round I poured into a Nonic Pint Glass, or your standard English Pub Beer Glass, and the experience was night and day. I still received the distinct taste of citrus that I do not normally expect with a Pils but it is not near as powerful as drinking directly from the bottle. As stated in other reviews, I can truly see how this beer would be absolutely fantastic with numerous Cajun dishes. Being a Louisiana native, I hope I can grab a 6-pack of this for the next Crawfish (Cray-fish) season and sample them with some down right, spicier than hell, home grown Louisiana crawfish.

Beer Novice's Note: I love beer... Several different kinds of beer. (From my local store Chimay is my favorite). However, some of the terms that are used by others to describe their experiences elude me at this point. I hope to, in time, broaden my horizons eventually understand these terms.

2.97/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This has become one of my favorite summer brews and favorite pilsners. Great hazy wheaty yellow on the pour with a white thin head. Great hoppy wheaty mixture in the taste with a refreshing after taste. Great summer brew

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

Lacking in just about every way possible. Clean in color and what little flavor it did have though.

Seersucker Summer Pilsner from Abita Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 23.1% out of 100 with 225 ratings