Andygator | Abita Brewing Co.

good
AndygatorAndygator

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003

Ratings: 1,607 |  Reviews: 451
4.93/5  rDev +40.5%

A – Clear golden pilsner with a billowy two fingers worth of eggshell white head. Ridiculous carbonation streaming off the bottom like a champagne except in erratic bubbles. Not much lacing but there is some.

S – Not really nose heavy but there is some yeast and malts among some toasted earthy aromas. Pretty average smelling for the style and I could definitely use a bigger aroma.

T – The taste is superb a bit of peppery bite in the front of the tongue sort of takes you back at first but the malts give this some great sweetness and makes this almost too easy to drink. Pulling a small amount you definitely get a bit of fruit almost like grapes of plums also getting some green apple flavors at the very end of the tongue. Absolutely delicious but drinking a full mouthful at a time kills this one so I would recommend taking your time.

M – Medium bodied with a lot of crisp from the heavy carbonation and that peppery taste. smooth as a fruit and easier to drink than the darker Doppelbocks I have had.

O – Abita has done it again this thing is tremendous and really has set the bar high for Doppelbocks domestic and imported alike. This is much much better than the Celebrator from Ayinger which is rated as the top Doppelbock in the world. Definitely tasty and if you go slow it smooths out and leaves you with a very subtle bit of fruit that gives this tremendous drinkability.

4.92/5  rDev +40.2%

4.85/5  rDev +38.2%

I have to say that I was very surprised to see such a low rating for this beer. I drank it on a sober pallet. Andygator poured a vibrant gold with a perfect two finger head. Although the head dissipated after two minutes to about a quarter inch, I did notice it had extraordinary lacing. The aroma was sweet and slightly hoppy with a hint of malt. Not too overpowering though. After the first taste I was very impressed. Floral, sweet, and smooth all the way to the end. There was a slight taste of hops left in the back of my throat. The medium body and crisp carbonation complement the taste perfectly. I will admit that this was my first doppelbock, thus I have nothing to compare it to. However, overall I would say this is certainly a new favorite beer.

4.83/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I don't know why this has an avg. rating below 4.0, it's a wonderful, sweet-tasting beer that hides the alcohol content behind great flavor.

4.8/5  rDev +36.8%

I'm from Louisiana, so I'm partial. Also, I'm from the days when Andygator was only available on draft, and have now tried it both on draft and from a bomber.

Serving type: Draft into pint

A: Straw colored, little head that dissipates quickly, very little lacing.

S: Bready, yeasty, caramel, floral, slight apple and citrus?

T: Malt forward maibock, toasty, roasty, very little bitterness detected. Slight citrus detected.

M: Medium carb, dry, crisp, not as boozy as one would think.

O: Heavier gravity, but without a warming finish. The alcohol is well hidden behind a great balance. Bready without a boozy taste or warmth. Definitely one of my go to draft beers.

4.8/5  rDev +36.8%

This big beer is medium yellow in color and clear with a nice frothy head that fell to about 1/4" after a minute. It appears to be medium in carbonation. The nose on this beer is of malt, alcohol, and possibly vanilla. The taste is of malt and a moderate amount alcohol. Initial body impression is light, but there is a little more to it than that. I'd say it's a light to medium bodied beer. The malt, alcohol and hint of vanilla flavoring are nice for this awesome brutish blond brew which I believe is worthy of it's name.

4.78/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Now that this is being sold in the standard 12 oz bottle, I have decided to try this well regarded brew by the biggest microbrewer in Southeast Louisiana and was not disappointed one bit. I'm not sure why, but it seems that I have never been disappointed by the higher APV bock style. This is a wonderful such bock that is very, very drinkable, and especially as it is very available at the local Wal-Mart (except on Sundays, as my little hick town doesn't allow beer sales on that day, but I digress ...)

As far as polybocks go, this is not too potent, and therefore does not take up the alcohol capacity that a 10% double bock would. If I do my regular 3 12-oz imbibing, substituting a standard 5% ABV for this one is not too bad, and in fact is a good choice to start the festivities. Of course, this is sessionable for only the most hard-core beer drinkers, and I most certainly would not have one if I were driving; that said, this would be a good start to a sessioning with some regular ABV brew.

I would recommend any visitors staying downtown in the great City of New Orleans to seek this out, perhaps even sessioning it, if the alternative is to just get hammered with the Hurricane @ Pat O's, or the Neptune Monsson @ The Port of Call.

I shall session this for the next time the Saints make it to the Super Bowl.

4.75/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a yeast and grass smell.
Appearance- this beer is a really bright golden yellow color, with a medium sized white head.
Taste-Has a really flavorful grassy flavor with a nice alcohol finish.
Palate- A medium bodied brew with mild carbonation, with a dry finish.
Overall- OI really like this brew. This is my favorite Abita brew so far.

4.75/5  rDev +35.3%

A lighter beer than I thought it would be. Still delicious, and very drinkable.

4.72/5  rDev +34.5%

4.66/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.64/5  rDev +32.2%

4.64/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +31.6%

Poured from a Growler.

A: Golden yellow color pour, slight haze, but pretty clear. Fair bit of lacing, around a 1 finger head poured aggressively.

S: Fruity, sweet, bready malts. A little hops poking out.

T: Balanced. Pure balance. Sweet fruit and malty, then the hops comes in, little bitter, but so balanced you can't tell at first. Very light tasting, smooth.

M: Great mouthfeel. Perfect amount of carbonation to it. Not oily, but has a bit of hangtime on the tounge as you drink. I like it a good bit! Yeasty bread in there that kinda of mellows it out.

Overall: I'll admit, this is a go to beer for me. I love the higher ABV, hides it exceptionally well. Smooth beer, really good to get a pitcher of it at one of my favorite restaurants and share a pitcher or two with someone. Really well balanced beer, and I'm on Abitas side, great beers. I've had this on draft, in a growler, and in bottles. I keep plenty on stock for when I want to do some session drinking, and this is my main stay!

4.55/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

best by 01/02/10

pours clear gold with a 1+ finger head that left notches all down the glass

smells of sweet yet lighty roasted malts with some fruit maybe apples and grassy hops

taste is great much like the smell the sweet yet roasted bready malts along with apples and slightly bitter hops

mouthfeel is light to medium smooth and crisp at the same time - perfect for this hybrid style

drinkability is great as well - but watch out with the 8% abv

overall this hybrid is fantastic - reminds me of capital's blonde dopplebock but with the add in flavors of a helles lager - this is my first abita beer and i was blown away

4.55/5  rDev +29.6%

Taste nice and smooth, easy to drunk, would recommend for a try

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.