Andygator | Abita Brewing Co.

good
AndygatorAndygator

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Andygator, a creature of the swamp, is a unique high-gravity brew made with pale malt, German lager yeast, and German Perle hops. Unlike other high-gravity brews, Andygator is fermented to a dry finish with a slightly sweet flavor and subtle fruit aroma. Reaching an alcohol strength of 8% by volume, it is a Helles Dopplebock.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-01-2003

Ratings: 1,608 |  Reviews: 451
3.28/5  rDev -6.6%

3.19/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.3/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.14/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.63/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Clarity was surprising. Smell was sweet and a little bready. I agree with a past review and think the flavor more resembles a Belgian dubbel. It definitely has the look and head of a helles. I don't see anything bock about this beer. All around decent beer. I got it in a six pack so I will enjoy another soon.

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle, date stamp smudged. Thanks to my friend, Derek, for giving me a bottle to try. I had this a few years ago, but it's nice to revisit.
A - very thin off-white head quickly fades to a thin covering of foam atop a deep golden colored beer
S - sweet and malty nose with hints of toffee, light caramel, honey, slight fruitiness, and earthiness
T - very sweet and rich with notes of honey, pale malt, toffee, light caramel, apricot, grape/chardonnay, earthy hops
M - fuller body, alcohol is warming and a little boozy as it warms; finishes dry
O - wasn't a favorite of mine the first time I had it, and just a little better than I remember it being.

4.18/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.27/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%

3.96/5  rDev +12.8%

I'm compelled to review this beer after reading some of the remarks here. I think a lot of you have it wrong. There's nothing really IPA-like going on here. To me this resembles a Belgian or Belgian style dubbel. I didn't know what to expect with this beer but the color suggested it wasn't going to be a malty direction, the smell had me thinking Belgian so I was happy the taste backed that up. Abita'a description doesn't suggest that they were necessarily aiming for a Belgian dubbel, but imo they've got a pretty good one here :)

3.69/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look: Golden color. Don't know why they call it a 'dopplebock.' Smell: citrusy; Taste: Subtle sweetness and a delicious taste; Feel: not watery, has a nice ample feel; Overall: A delightful beer which I will order again; Other: High alcohol content. I had this on draught at Fish City Grille in Sugar Land, Texas. It went very well with the lemon shrimp salad I had.

3.72/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

3.02/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Seems like a typical IPA. If you like the IPA beer style then you may like this.

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I think this beer is a bit underrated. I poured it into a tulip glass from a 12oz bottle. Clear golden yellow color with a brief white head and decent lacing. Bready smell and taste with a little sweetness. An odd boozy bitterness but overall not bad.

3.36/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.96/5  rDev -15.7%

I love beer advocate. (And beer) But I had to sign up to review this one after trying it. Im a fan of extra hoppy ipa's and dark malty beers, but this one just hit a middle ground for me that was sort of boring for my tastes. Im not familiar with the beer style but I have to say steer away unless this is one of your favorite styles. ABITA makes great beer! This one was not for me.

3.42/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Andygator from Abita Brewing Co.