Strawberry Harvest Lager | Abita Brewing Co.

good
Strawberry Harvest LagerStrawberry Harvest Lager

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Strawberry Harvest Lager is a wheat beer made with real Louisiana strawberries, picked late in the season when they’re at their sweetest. This brew has earned quite a reputation in a short time, causing the brewery to up their production year after year. When this brew is found, emails and phone calls fly to friends informing them of the store’s location. Strawberry Harvest is a crisp, light lager with just a hint of strawberry sweetness.

Added by Gagnonsux on 05-03-2005

3.5

Reviews: 409 | Ratings: 1,315
3.82/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Freebie from Bryan at The Leon Pub.

Perfectly clear light yellow with a sparkling head that settled down fast. Smells of strawberry yougurt. A fairly strong strawberry taste with a clean dry finish. An American lager with fruit and no adjunct off-taste. Good. A crisp, bubbly lager, that is a summer quaffer.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Smells like strawberry, but a little too much--obviously made with a strawberry extract.
It is very clear, and a straw color. It has a dense creamy head with some lacing.
The flavor is nice--a decent lawnmower beer for sure. It is smooth with a nice strawberry aftertaste.
I could drink this for a while, however the strawberry is a little bit much for me, and I may get sick of it after several of these.

I was a little skeptical of this one, I mean while Abita has made some great brews, Restoration ale and 20th Anniversary Pilsner come to mind, this is the also the brewery that's responsible for Purple haze. And, since this one was is also a fruit beer, I had my doubts.

Well, I was wrong: I'm already on my second and eagerly eying my third. The light, clean strawberry flavor has almost floral character and isn't too sweet. Add that to a mellow, grainy malt palate and you have one drinkable beer, perfect summer brew in fact.

I searched far and wide at my local Total Wine for a single, but eventually broke down and took a chance on the six-pack. I'm glad I did.

Recommended...

4.02/5  rDev +14.9%

This is a great beer for people like me who sometimes like to enjoy a light, sweet, and flavorful beer on a cool spring day.

A - Poured a cloudy amber with a very short head that settled quickly. Sketchy lacing.

S - Lots of sweet fruity, specifically strawberry smells. I picked up on a little apricot and peach too.

T - Light malt up front with a strong fruity, sweet finish - not too sweet though, just the right amount.

M&D - Even though it leaves your mouth with a bit of a sticky sweet coating, I still would categorize this as a clean and crisp spring/summer beer. A little on the watery side, but a decent beer.

This isn't a complex beer, and certainly not a great beer, but a simple lager with nice strawberry undertones. It's nice to have a beer that actually tastes like what's supposedly in it.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured a clear gold, with a soft, pillowy white head that had a fairly good retention lasting several minutes after the pour. Visible carbonation was very strong.

S: some light wheat aroma, sour lemons, and a light herbal hopping with a faint malt sweetness detected lingering in the background.

T: The initial sip yielded the first detection of nestle quick strawberries and light cereal grains. The sweet, thou artificially strawberries, were gently balanced providing soft tones to the crisp, bright pale grains palate. The strawberry sweetness was light and not overwhelming like many other fruit beers while still retaining a solid beer quality and character. The beer finished with a light citrus hop kiss that was very clean and crisp.

M: fizzy from the carbonation, light with a very light texture.

D: Drinkability was decent for what it is. You cant fault a beer by its style, and this is definitely one of the better drinking strawberry wheat beers ive experienced with a nice balance. Fruity, but respectably well brewed and clean.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz received as a cool extra in a recent trade with Tilley4... poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Short lasting white head.. no lacing... very clear straw colored brew.

Aroma is pale malts and an expected base of strawberry essence.. does not smell artificial.

Flavor mirrors the aroma almost perfectly .. the subtle sweetness marries very well with the strawberries... leaving a pleasing fruity finish.

Body is light as expected.. carbonation was a little light.. but that could be because the cap came off very very easily.

All in all.. the Strawberry Harvest isn't going to rock your world.. but it is very nice and would be very refreshing while mowing the lawn or working in the yard.

Props again to Jason.. one of the easiest trades I've had the opportunity of doing.

3.36/5  rDev -4%

Toasty butterscotch malt with strong strawberry.

Hazy straw, minimal-to-no head.

Crisp lager with bushels of strawberries. A little malt under the fruit, and a bit of spiciness.

A very strawberry beer. And it really tastes like strawberry, not all syrupy.

3.87/5  rDev +10.6%

Picked up 6 for my wife as she wanted to try but I was pleasantly surprised to like this one.
12oz bottle poured into American pint.

A: Amber color, medium head like dishwasher soap.

S: Strawberries but far from overpowering. There was actually some hops there too, surprised.

T: Strawberry mild sweetness with the matching malts and hops. Well above average for a fruit beer. A bit watery but refreshing.

M: Very crisp and sugar wasnt overbearing- graham cracker feel.

D: Again, I enjoyed this quite a bit. No noticeable alcohol and the crispness was refreshing and not much cloying. This will be a good summer beer, a fruit beer I can actually look forward to more of.

4.01/5  rDev +14.6%

This lager is brewed for the Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival that is heald every year in April. The color is light golden color, reminded me of the Abita Golden but with a slight strawberry hue. I hope that this beer is made with real Louisiana strawberries. I assume it is. It is a very drinkable beer; I had two whilst walking amongst the crowds at the festival. It did, however, have a slightly off taste. It reminded me of the taste in Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

2.67/5  rDev -23.7%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass...2008 vintage

Appearance - Clear see through gold with a tiny half finger white head. Nice white mist left on top after the head disappeared.

Smell - Sweet sweet strawberry smell blended in with some malts

Taste & Mouthfeel - Strawberries taste just like the freeze dried ones you get in cereal boxes. Crisp and tangy taste in the beginning turns into a smooth sweet malt in the back. Very light and lager like.

Drinkability - Nothing complex at all about this beer. I usually limit myself to one or two a season. A Sunday breakfast brew in the springtime that would make a great paring with some pecan pancakes. Not a big fan, but is nice for a yearly sample.

2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

A - Poured out a yellow color with hints of pink. It was a little hazy with a one finger, white head that left no lace.

S - It smelled sweet and of a little strawberry.

T - The strawberry flavor was muted. Other wise it just tasted like a bland lager, but not bitter.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A light-bodied beer.

D - It lacked much flavor at all. It wasn't a great brew but far better than their Purple Haze.

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle pours a clear yellow body with an average sized white head. Some patchy lacing clings to the glass. Aroma is cooked strawberries and sweetish malts. Light medium body is crisply carbonated. Taste is dominated by an upfront strawberry fruitiness that to its credit is not at all artificial. Some clean lager traits hover underneath but hop presence is very fleeting. Quite well done for what it is. Pleasantly drinkable for a fruit beer.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Finally found this one in an Exxon here in town and had to grab a sixer.

Clear golden pour with quite a good head.

Hmmmm.. thought the strawberries would definitely be more apparent than this. Very faint aroma of berries along with the normal lager yeastiness.

This was just ok to me. It wasn't bad but sort of tasted like a macro lager with a little strawberry flavoring thrown in.

Glad I got to try it, but I doubt I would go out of my way to find some more.

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

Nice Beer! ... This one surprised me quite a bit!... very fresh real strawberry flavour and smell, the smell is delicous!....sweet and refreshing, with a light mellowness... if you enjoy fruit beers, this one is very drinkable! ..."about as funny as Sinbad..not the actor but the sailor"

3.32/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Light semi-murky gold that pours a light white head that disipates quickly leaving a medium lace.
S - Light and all strawberries with some sweet malts.
T - Sweet strawberry and a heavier yeast accent than I thought would be there. Nice and light with less fruity sweet then I the smell gave off.
M - Light carbonation with a slight milky accent with a fruity sweet.
D - Definately drinks smooth and chrisp. Would enjoy this as an alternative to sweeter lambics.

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from a bottle into an american pint glass.

The beer poured thin with a hazy golden blond with a1/4 inch white head that dissipated before I even set the glass down. No lacing to speak of.

The smell is not good. Reminds me of a Bartles and James wine cooler circa 1984. There is some kind of smell there but it's not strawberries. Like fruit left in the fridge too long.

The taste actually surprised me. After the smell I thought it was going to taste terrible. It did not taste great by any means but it was not horrible. Initially the wine cooler taste came through but when that subsided I picked up strong sweetness almost syrupy taste. I did not taste strawberry at all.

The mouthfeel was light and highly carbonated with a crisp finish. The aftertaste left my mouth sticky like there was an over abundance of saliva.

Overall unimpressed. I tried this beer because I liked the Abita Purple Haze but was completely let down. The smell was unpleasant and hard to place and the taste was decent at best. If you see this one out there keep on walking.

4.81/5  rDev +37.4%

I really miss the early days of The CANQuest (tm) on this site, when I was CANstantly being challenged as how/when/where I found a particular beer in a CAN. Now, every beer seems to come in a CAN, but serving style is no longer a CANcern. Sheesh.

The CAN is absolutely gorgeous! Purple, gold, green with red strawberries plus fleurs-de-lis abound! A picture of the CAN should replace the bland bottle.

I Crack!ed that bad boy open, revealing a brimful craft CAN. I could not bring myself to CANduct anything more than a gentle Glug, but once I got it into the glass, a vigorous swirl raised a finger of fizzy, bone-white head that did not seem to want to hang around. At this juncture, I would segue into color & clarity, but the swirl had released its esters to the point that the kitchen smelled like I was in a strawberry patch! Full disclosure: It is really no secret that I have a fetish for fellow redheads/gingers. When I was really young, my favorite fruit was blueberries, but at some point, I began to associate strawberries with strawberry-blondes & they have been my favorite since. This scent was about as much as I could stand! Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity and when the Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon showed up, I threw a selfish temper tantrum and kept it all for myself! Mouthfeel was medium, about the high end for a lager. The taste was like liquid strawberry preserves! It was a tad sweet, but man, it was nuthin' but strawberry. Finish was semi-sweet with the lagering having given the yeast a chance to take some of the cloying sweetness off of it. I'd love this in the cooler over the summer.

My original bottle review, dtd 28 Jan 2008, follows:

The message, as I departed Boston in June 2007, seemed to be "Drink FRESH lagers!" Aye aye.

From the bottle: "Abita Strawberry Harvest is a lager brewed with pilsner and wheat malts and Vanguard hops. Real Louisiana strawberry juice is added after filtration, resulting in a crisp lager with a sweet strawberry flavor, aroma and haze."

The pour produced a good, thick, bone-white head with decent retention. The color was a slightly hazy deep-gold. The nose was somewhere between jam and the syrupy stuff that my Strawberry Shrimp at Auburn Ale House came in. Very strawberry. The mouthfeel was medium with a sweet strawberry taste on the tongue. The finish was like liquid strawberry preserves.

Okay, quick test - knowing that I am a self-avowed hophead, how is this going to fly with me? Check the drinkability rating! I have a thing for strawberries, dating back to when I was a wee lad and they made "Freckle-Faced Strawberry" Funny Faces Fruit Drink.

I used to feel like an outcast because of my red hair and freckles, but Freckle-Faced Strawberry empowered me and even led me to my first girlfriend at the age of four, a fellow redhead. Long live strawberries!

What the heck, I have another bottle, so I may as well revisit this to see if my mind has changed. Nope, not really. It is plenty sweet, though, so be aware of that part about it.

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a slightly clouded gold. Nose is a touch of strawberries over a firm metallic character. Flavor is kind of like a smooth lager with a creamy strawberry presence that is just slight. What ruins it for me is the somewhat harsh aftertaste of metal. Just too much metallic for my liking. Feel is thick with carbonation and fairly standard on the liquid. Overall it is drinkable, yes. Just not so much since there is a lack of firm strawberry and also with the presence of so much metallic.

3.59/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: clear yellow in color with a 1" head that falls apart immediately. No significant lacing develops.

Smell: nice aroma of strawberries comes out of the glass.

Taste: strawberries are up front with some green grape sweetness. Mild malt profile with barely any bitterness. Definitely one dimensional beer.

Mouthfeel: very crisp throughout. Strawberry filled aftertaste sticks to the tongue. Lighter side of medium bodied.

Drinkability: nicely refreshing and mildly pleasant. The strawberries are not fake tasting which is a big plus here. Not a bad beer, but not one you would drink all day.

3.59/5  rDev +2.6%

Twist-off bottle:

Pours straw yellow with thin white head that eventually (rather quickly) disappears.

The smell is of sweet grain and a touch of grass. Light strawberry comes through. Glad to smell a fruit beer that has "beer" aroma.

The taste is of sweet grain and light grass. Sweet strawberries are mixed in. At least it's not as artificial tasting as many other fruit beers, but...overall, the taste is mild and rather lacking. A vague hop bitterness balances out the sweetness and tartness.

Typical of the brewery this one is light-bodied. I don't fault it for that, as that is what they make. However, this one almost pushes it too much. There is a pleasant aftertaste and it is smooth.

This is a decent fruit beer. The strawberry is not quite as artificial as is found in so many of this style. It's rather weak, but maintains a "beer" quality, albeit light. Rated per style. Better than other fruit beers, but doesn't quite do it for me other than being rather refreshing on a hot day.

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a bottle (best by 9/11/07) into a frosted pub glass.

Appearance- light hazy golden color that poured with a very light white head that quickly dissipates to just a trace of lacing

Smell- Natural Louisiana strawberries hit the nose as well as faint grain aroma, very faint malt presence.

Taste- The front has a faint malt presence transitioning quickly to the natural strawberry in the middle and lingers pleasantly.

Mouthfeel- Watery. A very light brew.

Drinkability- It is very easy to knock off several of these on a hot summer night. The novelty of the Strawberry flavor fades off and one begins to crave other more traditional styles. Which is perfect as it is a seasonal offering, although production doubled this year over last, and I am still able to find this Spring seasonal on the shelves in mid-September). As a fruit beer, it is an excellent representative of the style. I favor it over Pete's Strawberry Blonde.

3.87/5  rDev +10.6%

I had just walked from the Audobon Zoo to a place in the French Quater on a 94 degree 90 percent humidity August day in New Orleans. (thats about six and a half miles) Needless to say, I was thirsty. I like to drink loca,l so when I'm in New Orleans I drink a lot of Abita and Dixie (although I think that Dixie is being contract brewed since Katrina). Anyway, the bartender told me to give this one a try and it was just right. The appearence of the beer was nothing terribly special, just a nice golden color with only a little head. Aroma is real nice, a very pleasant but not overpowering aroma of fresh strawberries. The taste wasn't awe inspiring, but it sure did hit the spot. Basically, I would say that its a very clean, crisp, drinkable beer and the strawberries come through perfectly in the finish. For a fruit beer, this beer isn't fruity, it is very nicely balanced and very refreshing. In terms of drinkablilty, this one gets high marks from me, I had four of them without even thinking about it. This is truly an excellent beer to drink ice cold on a steamy day.

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- nice golden color with little head.

Smell- Strawberries!!! With a nice balance of malts and hops.

Taste- Again strawberries with a hint of hops and malts.

Mouthfeel- Very crisp with mild carbonation.

Drinkability- OK I found this beer to be actually good. I think this beer would be great on a nice hot, humid Louisiana day. Right after maybe doing yardwork or something. All I know is this beer rolls at work when we get it in. We sell it by the case and we sell everything priced by the bottle! People love this beer and I have to agree with them!!

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: Mildly hazy straw color. Small head. Mild retention and lacing.

Smell: Strawberries, some mild malts and yeast.

Taste: Same as the nose. Strawberries mixed with a light ale. Thats the gist of it.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, but will I have more?

3.72/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a nonic at fridge temperature. Best by 9/11, this label was affixed upside down on the bottle.

Appearance- Pours a luminescent gold with the slightest haze... a supple, two finger snow white head suds backwards of the course of this tasting. Minimal lacing and relatively quiet in the glass.

Smell- Exciting, intense aroma of fresh strawberries... as the beer opens up, elements of sugar and candy become evident. Strawberry creamsicles come to mind after a little while.

Taste- Bready, smooth malts back up the palate of strawberries and cream... there is a soda-like flavor that comes across too that takes something away from its pureness. Nice, dry finish showcasing just a smattering of hop presence.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- With a smooth yet prickly entry, this beer softly foams and goes down extremely well. For the style, this ranks near the top of my list for fruit beers. It's light, easy in the mouth, and has a more subdued flavor than Magic Hat #9, for example. I finished this beer with gratitude to have tried it.

Strawberry Harvest Lager from Abita Brewing Co.