Strawberry Harvest Lager | Abita Brewing Co.

good
Strawberry Harvest LagerStrawberry Harvest Lager

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Strawberry Harvest Lager is a wheat beer made with real Louisiana strawberries, picked late in the season when they’re at their sweetest. This brew has earned quite a reputation in a short time, causing the brewery to up their production year after year. When this brew is found, emails and phone calls fly to friends informing them of the store’s location. Strawberry Harvest is a crisp, light lager with just a hint of strawberry sweetness.

Added by Gagnonsux on 05-03-2005

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A: Dull straw color. Good clarity. Rocky white head retains very well. Foamy clumps of lacing cling to the glass here and there.

S: Strawberry candy, shortbread, wheat, and possibly a very subtle hint of tartness.

T: Big wheaty pull. Freshly picked strawberries. Nip of tartness is more pronounced than the nose suggested. Shortbread. Abrupt finish of wheat and tart strawberry.

M: Very light in body. Fluffy with a slight push of firmness. Creamy. Moderate carbonation.

O: A clean, wheaty lager with loads of fresh and natural strawberry character. I've been know to put these down dangerously quickly in the hot summer months. So tasty and quaffable.

Note: this is a re-review. A year or so ago I had rated this at a 3.53. I don't know what I was smoking at that time. I really warmed up to this one in recent times, and I now put back almost a case throughout the summer. Working it in that often actually says a lot considering my promiscuous drinking habits.

3.42/5  rDev -2.3%

A: I didn't pour it into a glass, so, I can comment on the appearance.
S: Lovely strawberry and wheat aromas
T: I was worried this would be too sweet since the aroma of strawberries was pretty heavy. I was pleasantly surprised. It was crisp and fruity and balanced: not too sweet, not really hoppy, but very refreshing.

2.78/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Blonde color. Some light haze. Disc of white suds perches on the surface. Looks okay.

Strawberry taffy, artificial raspberry, perfumey notes, pale malts, white chocolate, some other off-fragrance. Very strange. Smells waxy like a candle. Not right. Embellished.

Tastes like the nose. Strawberries and cream gummies, fruity soap, perfume, sweet cracker, touch of floral hops, white raspberry, and leafiness. I get that it's a beer, but this is wrong-weird. After doing some research, I realize there are wheat malts used. That could definitely explain some of the strange combinations of flavors. Some natural strawberry flavor peeks out in the finish.

Very watery. Terribly thin. Carbonation takes over. Too overblown. Stings like a big gulp of strawberry soda.

Below-average. Hard to finish. Doesn't even spell 'refreshment'. Avoid.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Abita's Strawberry Harvest Lager last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I'm not a big fan of Abita, but a friend of mine recommend this so I thought I would give it a chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown shorter 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label doesn't look that great, it's pretty plain and it's not that eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy straw yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with a finger and half of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I don't really have any complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a pretty big strawberry aroma that has a strawberry jam like aroma followed by a some nice creamy aromas that makes for an aroma that reminds me of strawberry cheese cake or those strawberry cup cakes from hostess. Up next comes some sweet, bready and slightly grainy malts. The aroma is nice, I like it, but I don't love it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty damn similar to the aroma and it started off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the same strawberry aspect that I got in the aroma with a pretty big creamy aroma, the combination reminds me of some Strawberry cheese cake ice cream I have had. Up next comes the malts that impart a pretty big grainy, bready and biscuit like flavor that carries through to the aftertaste with a biscuit flavor that really sticks around and there was no bitterness at all. This beer tastes nice, the strawberry's didn't taste overly artificial and it reminds me a of a couple different strawberry snacks I have had.

M- Smooth, crisp, refreshing, light bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

All in all I thought this was a decent beer and a good example of a fruit beer, it had enough fruit flavor to stay true to the name and they didn't taste overly artificial, it seems to have decent balance also. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, and refreshing, and the flavors held my attention but I think they would start to wear on me after a while, one seems to be enough for me, I don't think I would want another one in a row, What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was nice and very dessert like. What I liked the least about this beer was the drinkability, lagers are usually pretty drinkable, but this one doesn't keep me coming back for more. I might buy this beer again in the summer if I am in the mood for a light and refreshing fruit beer, but it's not something that I would buy a six pack of, I would recommend this to people who really like strawberry's or somebody who is just getting into craft beer. All in all I didn't mind this beer, it's not for everyone but I think it would make for a nice dessert beer, especially at a bbq in the summertime. This is one of the better beers I have had from this brewery but I'm still not crazy over it or the brewery.This beer was ok but I wouldn't seek it out again.

3.98/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

abita really hooked this beer (malt beverage) up with a ton of strawberry flavor. i like it. this beer pours cloudy. there is a thin white head. the smell is a little sour smelling but not off-putting. taste is really crisp with a pretty huge strawberry finish. i try to pick some of this up every year when its around.

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

3.31/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Best by 7/18/13.

Pours a hazy light yellow-orange with a foamy light khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and some earthy strawberry and strawberry juice aromas. Taste is much the same with a flavor on the finish that is almost like a biscuit with butter and strawberry jelly. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer that is light and refreshing but the smell on this one is better than the taste.

3.67/5  rDev +4.9%

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, light golden color with a short white head that dissipates leaving little lacing, hazy

S: strawberries over a light grainyness

T: sweet strawberries mix nicely with the wheat flavors,

M: light and refreshing

O: this is a good fruit beer that doesn't have a syrupy fake taste

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface and lots of lacy rings of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of strawberries are present in the nose along with some notes of wheat. The smell becomes a little stronger as the beer warms up.
T: The taste has pleasant flavors of strawberries along with hints of wheat and a slight amount of bitterness. The best way I can describe the strawberries is that they taste like a Starburst candy but without the associated sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied (but not watery) on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I really enjoyed this beer, particularly its strawberry flavors since they seemed unique and didn't have any sweetness.

Strawberry Harvest Lager from Abita Brewing Co.