Mardi Gras Bock | Abita Brewing Co.

Mardi Gras BockMardi Gras Bock

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Abita Bock is brewed with pale, pilsner, and caramel malts and German Perle hops. Our bock is similar to German maibocks with its rich malt flavor and full body. A perfect choice during Carnival season in New Orleans.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2002

3.47/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a disappointing head and OK lacing. Orange beer. The smell is malty, slightly licorice, and sweet. The taste is malt dominated, sweet, with a licorice flavor that may be coming from the hops, not sure about that. Sugary, tastes a little like a Mardi Gras king cake. My favorite Abita offering.

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%

I am on an Abita kick currently and I am switching back & forth between CANs and bottles. I just did not feel ready for a CANned IPA as a nightcap, so I went with my last bottle.

From the bottle: "Abita Bock is brewed with pale, pilsner and caramel malts and German Perle hops. Our bock is similar to German maibocks with its rich malt flavor and full body. A perfect choice during Carnival season in New Orleans."; "Best By 6/13/12".

What is it about Abita beers that creates such massive head?!? A light-handed pour still garnered two-plus fingers of eggnog-colored head with great retention on this humid evening. Color was a coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was rich with malty sweetness, perhaps too much for my taste as a self-avowed hophead. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a pleasant effervescence that seemed to fill my mouth. The sweetness was not as prevalent on the tongue as it had been on the nose and I found myself enjoying it more than I had expected. In fact, it was so smooth as to be dangerous as over half of it was gone from my glass before I realized it! My my. Finish was semi-dry as there was some inherent sweetness in it, but nothing like the nose had led me to expect. Highly drinkable, but be careful.

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured this Maibock from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This brew poured a clear amber color, produced a thick clingy head, featured excellent retention and excellent lacing. The aroma consisted of malted barley and earth. Medium in body, this Maibock featured a malted grain backbone, some notes of caramel, fresh baked bread and sweet malt. Fruity esters from the yeast were also present. Balanced nicely with spicy hops, this is a nice session beer- excellent example of an American Craft version of a german classic. Prost!

3.85/5  rDev +11%

Abita Mardi Gras Bock
12 oz brown bottle
Best by 06/20/12 jet ink on the side of the bottle
Served in a 20 oz tulip glass

Pours a copper and shiny brown with a bleached white head that has a frothy appearance. Nice patterns of sticky webbed lace decorate the side of the glassware.

The aroma has whiffs of grains, cereal and a touch of fruit in the background.

A grainy, malty and cereal flavor provides the backbone with a smooth yeast flare. Some sips give me a hint of pear or apple fruit sweetness. The hop profile is minimal and I'd say this is true to the style and easy to drink.

I leave for the Big Easy tomorrow morning and I plan on drinking my fair share of Abita in the coming days.

Cheers!!

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

Mardi Gras Bock from Abita Brewing Co.