Mardi Gras Bock | Abita Brewing Co.

Mardi Gras BockMardi Gras Bock
3.45/5
Mardi Gras BockMardi Gras Bock

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Abita Bock is brewed with pale, pilsner, and caramel malts and German Perle hops. Our bock is similar to German maibocks with its rich malt flavor and full body. A perfect choice during Carnival season in New Orleans.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2002

3.15/5  rDev -8.7%

Ba Review #181
Served On: 06/28/2012
Glassware: Sam Adams Perfect Pint
Labeled ABV: 6.5%
Date/ Code: -

This was in the 2012 spring mixed 12 pack.

Look: Had a light copper color - bordering on dark gold or bronze. Very clear with good carbonation. The head was a coating of foam that hung around the entire time. Lacing was excellent.

Smell: Fresh baked bread with a hint of toasted cinnamon bun.

Taste: First off was a nice rich malty sweetness that moved into notes of cracker and biscuit. The middle was a slight sour note that faded into some bitterness.

This was certainly a smooth Bock with plenty of character. It was rather light on the palate, but seemed to work well as a spring seasonal.

3.47/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a disappointing head and OK lacing. Orange beer. The smell is malty, slightly licorice, and sweet. The taste is malt dominated, sweet, with a licorice flavor that may be coming from the hops, not sure about that. Sugary, tastes a little like a Mardi Gras king cake. My favorite Abita offering.

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%

4.05/5  rDev +17.4%

I am on an Abita kick currently and I am switching back & forth between CANs and bottles. I just did not feel ready for a CANned IPA as a nightcap, so I went with my last bottle.

From the bottle: "Abita Bock is brewed with pale, pilsner and caramel malts and German Perle hops. Our bock is similar to German maibocks with its rich malt flavor and full body. A perfect choice during Carnival season in New Orleans."; "Best By 6/13/12".

What is it about Abita beers that creates such massive head?!? A light-handed pour still garnered two-plus fingers of eggnog-colored head with great retention on this humid evening. Color was a coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was rich with malty sweetness, perhaps too much for my taste as a self-avowed hophead. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a pleasant effervescence that seemed to fill my mouth. The sweetness was not as prevalent on the tongue as it had been on the nose and I found myself enjoying it more than I had expected. In fact, it was so smooth as to be dangerous as over half of it was gone from my glass before I realized it! My my. Finish was semi-dry as there was some inherent sweetness in it, but nothing like the nose had led me to expect. Highly drinkable, but be careful.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%

3.23/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured this Maibock from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This brew poured a clear amber color, produced a thick clingy head, featured excellent retention and excellent lacing. The aroma consisted of malted barley and earth. Medium in body, this Maibock featured a malted grain backbone, some notes of caramel, fresh baked bread and sweet malt. Fruity esters from the yeast were also present. Balanced nicely with spicy hops, this is a nice session beer- excellent example of an American Craft version of a german classic. Prost!

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Mardi Gras Bock from Abita Brewing Co.