Jockamo IPA | Abita Brewing Co.

Jockamo IPAJockamo IPA

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: American IPA

Jockamo I.P.A. is a traditional India Pale Ale made with the best pale and light crystal malts that give the beer a copper color and malty flavor. This full-flavored beer is hopped and dry hopped liberally with Willamette and Columbus hops from the Pacific Northwest and has a 6.5% A.B.V. The spicy aroma of the hops contrasts nicely with the pleasant sweetness of the malts. Jockamo has a flavor that entices and excites the palate.

Added by Beerbuddha on 10-30-2007

Ratings: 1,668 |  Reviews: 558

3.61/5  rDev +5.2%

I can't seem to find a date on this bottle. I am assuming it's fresh based on the comments of the stocking associate at Lukas. He recommended the beer as I asked for something a little different.

A - The beer pours a translucent golden amber color. A nice 2 finger white bubbly head which slowly fades to a thin film that lasts throughout. Nice lacing. Looks good.

S - The aroma is a mix between a malty grainy bready sweetness and a earthy almost onion-type hop character. Not as strong as I would have preferred and somewhat subdued. A twirl didn't seem to do much to help. Fairly average.

T - After a disappointing nose the flavor of the beer was much more pleasing. The beer starts with a citrus floral sweetness. A slight toasted caramel malt type flavor arrives along with a mild bitterness. Fairly well balanced. Finishes fairly fruity, mild bitter, and crisp.

M - Light bodied and solid carbonation.

O - Overall a solid offering from a new brewery for me. Not the greatest American IPA but not bad at all.

Reviewed on: 03-26-2011 18:41:10

2.88/5  rDev -16%

This is one freaky beer.

Pretty reddish brown color. Nice lacing on head. Smell a little funky--oniony, maybe? Just a little bit of hoppy bitterness--not as much as one tends to expect from an IPA.

Here's where things get strange. I'm not a beer expert--just a beer liker--so I don't know the lingo, but I could swear this beer tasted kind of like cheese or smoked sausage (pepperoni, maybe) or fennel or pizza (my dining companion said Totino's Pizza Rolls, which is pretty apt). I wondered if I got a dirty glass until I saw another reviewer mention that s/he thought it tasted like pizza bites, too. I'd swear mine did.

I wouldn't say it's bad; I finished my pint (I think part of that was just trying to figure out what the heck was going on). I would say it's strange, and I don't plan on having another.

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle with best by date on neck.

Appears a bright clear dark copper aroma. Cream colored head. Good head retention. Hop aroma is slightly spicy. Brady, biscuity malt aroma in there too.

Taste is fairly balanced for an IPA. Caramel, toffee, earthy hops. Medium body, moderate carbonation. Drinks fairly smooth.

Overall, a solid IPA.

Jockamo IPA from Abita Brewing Co.