Jockamo IPA | Abita Brewing Co.

Jockamo IPAJockamo IPA

Abita Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States
abita.com

Style: American IPA

Jockamo I.P.A. is a traditional India Pale Ale made with the best pale and light crystal malts that give the beer a copper color and malty flavor. This full-flavored beer is hopped and dry hopped liberally with Willamette and Columbus hops from the Pacific Northwest and has a 6.5% A.B.V. The spicy aroma of the hops contrasts nicely with the pleasant sweetness of the malts. Jockamo has a flavor that entices and excites the palate.

Added by Beerbuddha on 10-30-2007

Ratings: 1,668 |  Reviews: 558
3.5/5  rDev +2%

Poured from the stubby bottle into my Duvel tulip. Appearance was a cousin to Firestone Walker Union Jack, almost a ruby red look to it. One finger head quickly dissipated to a thin blanket. Tiny bit of lacing. Smell was fruity and only minimally hoppy. Taste can best be described as basic and more malty than what we're used to with American IPA's. After reading many reviews about a "different" flavor in this brew, I figured it out. It has a background of Heineken funk. Just a touch. Kind of liked it. Mouthfeel was easy drinking and a bit thin. I would try again.

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle...

Appearance: A deep golen hue; typical and expected. Imparts a solid fluffy finger head with solid lacing.

Smell/Taste: Floral, piney hops immediately present over a sweet malt balance giving this one an exceptional hop flavor that overpowers the malt base just right.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with solid carbonation.

Overall: Will be buying again.

3.26/5  rDev -5%

Copper color, mildly hazy brew. Nice white head, with some nice white lacing.

Smells of hops for sure, but I cant place the type.

The taste is bitter and malt together. Again, I cant place the hops, but I am not too fond of this type. For me more bitter than flavor.

The carbonation level is nice.

In the end I am happy Albita makes this. It is not for me, but it seems to be a variation on a theme that some may find nice.

3.77/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from the 12 oz. brown glass bottle into my Newcastle Brown Ale Geordie Schooner. The appearance is a light amber color, kind of reddish for an IPA. The first thing I do when I open a beer that I have not had before is put the bottle to my nose. The smell of this beer is sort of unusual, but interesting, with a complex variety of components. The taste too is unusual, in that there is more here than malt and hop flavors. The mouthfeel is sort of thin. There is cedar in the taste, overall, I like it, it's not so huge as some American IPA's can be.

Just a thought,

Barleyman

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Has a spicy, hoppy aroma with distinct notes of pine and grapefruit, as well as a nice floral bouquet.

On the tongue, the first flavor to come across is an explosion of citrusy, grapefruit-sour hops that fills every nook and cranny of your mouth. There's also a flowery, rose-water flavor that comes from the hops, but it's so overpowered by the bitterness that it's difficult to locate. There is, however, a nice layer of sugary malts near the bottom of the river, bringing lovely apricot and maple syrup currents, as well as a good measure of biscuit-like toasted grains. By and large the hops dominate the mouthful all the way through, seemingly growing stronger near the end as the malty sugars slowly dissolve and leave fewer flavors to counter the hoppy buzz. The aftertaste is almost exclusively hops, though the flavor does fade away faster than I was expecting, leaving only a vague feeling of sour spices lingering on the soft palate.

Overall, I thought this a good IPA, though I would have liked a small margin more of malty sugars, as the hops came across slightly too strong for me, given the rest of the flavors.

4.17/5  rDev +21.6%

Old penny copper color. Short head that dissipates quickly with a little lace. Nose is mango, pine, some pineapple. Fruity. Taste is tropical fruity hop with some piney bitterness. Good full backbone across the middle. Well balanced. Super refreshing and drinkable mouthfeel, just the right amount of sticky. Mid to high carbonation. Well worthy of a sixer.

3.67/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a cervoise glass.

A: Large head; good retention. The beer is clear and golden. Nice.

S: Strong hops. These hops are earthy, herbal, and meaty. I find it appealing, but I could easily see how someone might not. A touch of citrus.

T: Umm...it tastes like pizza bites. And garlic. Chives? No, no, it's coming to me...Sour cream and onion potato chips is EXACTLY what this beer tastes like. It's extremely unnerving, but not entirely unpleasant. Had I not *just* rinsed this glass after drinking (and reviewing) another IPA, I might suspect that the glass was contaminated (with food though?) or my tastebuds were shot (still a possibility...?). I have no idea what to make of this. I can only suppose that the spicy hops are responsible for the intense foody tastes of this beer. Even the aftertaste has traces of grilled onions and garlic powder amidst the smooth, beery finish. It's not that I don't like the flavour, but feeling like I'm chewing on a whole bag of chip is making me slightly nauseated. (This is my second beer of the day, so I'm not crazy/drunk.)

M: Beery and, fortunately, normal.

O: One of the strangest IPAs I've ever swallowed. I would not have another, but I strongly urge you to, if only to tell me I'm crazy.

Notes: "Jockamo is an American IPA brewed with pale, red, and caramel malts. It is liberally hopped and dry hopped with Williamette and Columbus hops. The result is a copper colored ale with a malty flavor and intense, spicy hop aroma."

3.16/5  rDev -7.9%

Appearance: Copper color with just a thin cap of head that fades to a ring.

Aroma: Piney hops over a sweet, slightly bready caramel malt base.

Taste: Slightly harsh, resinous hop bitterness right of the bat, with a mildly astringent, toasted malt note mixing in. Goes out like it started, with a big rush of hops that again is a bit harsh. Finish is slightly lingering.

The Rest: A nice, creamy body, but a little rough. It has that fresh hop bite that tends to be a bit unbalanced. Overall, a fair IPA.

3.16/5  rDev -7.9%

Jockamo IPA pours a clear amber with a medium sized creamy head on top. As the foam dissolves netted lace clings to the glass.

The aroma is malty with notes of caramel and biscuit. Some pine and orange citrus are also present.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is smooth and creamy with light carbonation. The flavor is malty and sweet. It begins with caramel and biscuit notes plus some hints of fruit (peach?). Towards the end some lemon and orange citrus move in. It finishes mildly bitter and dry with lingering caramel malt.

There aren't many hoppy flavors found in this IPA. It's more like a pale ale or possibly an English bitter to me. Good mouth feel and easy to drink.

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: copper orange with a 1 finger off white head

smell: citrus, pine, hops, caramel, malts

taste: pine, hops, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: pretty basic IPA. nothing really special about this one.

cheers,
the CPJ

3.07/5  rDev -10.5%

Review from notes

A: Pours a light orange color with a 1.5 finger, beige colored head on top. Decent retention and spotty lacing left behind.

S: On the fruity side with some orange, orange peel, and some pineapple. There is a slight piney aroma and some light caramel malt.

T: Again, fruity and sweet, a little too much for my liking. The flavors are rather strong initially, but the back end is rather bland, almost as if the entire flavor profile disappears. More orange, pineapple, and a bit of tangerine/nectarine.

M: Medium bodied with light to medium carbonation. Flavor practically disappears before the finish.

O:Starts off pretty good, but finished weak. Had some nice flavor up front and looked inviting. Would pass on it in the future.

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured into a pint glass from bottle. Kept a thin head throughout. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

Smelled like lemon, pine, and curry spice lastly. Taste was initial hopiness then settled to a sweet malty taste. The hopiness lingered on the backend for quite a while and it became something I did not enjoy much. Started to feel like I had consumed lots of cough medicine. The beer had a curry taste that was present throughout and this I enjoyed. Overall, a solid IPA that I don't mind keeping a 6-pack of in my fridge.

3.11/5  rDev -9.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a clear amber with a big light brown head. Only a little active carbonation. Smell is mild, slightly hoppy.

Taste is barely hoppy at all, very bready and malty. A little lemony sourness.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick, slightly sticky. Overall, it's a mediocre beer.

3.97/5  rDev +15.7%

Good tasting beer although I've had better IPAs.

Poured into a pint glass, it initially had a thin head of maybe three fingers. It quickly dissolved and looked much like an Anchor Steam.

The taste & smell were not overpowering and didn't linger long in my mouth.

As I said good, but I've had better

A: Pours amber with a modest white head. Lacing is present but drips off quickly.

S: Fruit gummies definitely sticks out with a slight almost curdle like hop presence in the background.

T: A sweet, mostly malty flavor characterized by fruity vitamin-ish flavors, some watermelon, and a minimal amount of hops.

M: Almost awkwardly thick in the mouth and left a tingle of flavors around the mouth that isn't as pleasant as it sounds.

O: I don't mind IPAs taking a non-hop centric route-- in fact, I admire it. That being said, in order to accomplish it bold, natural, well-rounded flavors are necessary and I think that's something this beer has little of. Not a horrible beer but I would feel hesitant to say was truly good.

3.58/5  rDev +4.4%

A. Pours out an amber color with a little haziness. Has a thin off white head that has very good retention and nice lacing. Seems to have minimal carbonation.
S. The aroma is a mix of pine, citrus and ice tea.
T. The taste starts out with some pine followed by some citrus and finishes with an earthy hops taste, and some sweet malts linger in the background. Mainly a toffee and sugary taste.
M/O. A rather light and more watery than some IPA's I have tasted, but also more smooth. Not a bad IPA, but there are plenty out there I prefer to this one.

3.58/5  rDev +4.4%

The beer pours a slightly hazy amber color with an off-white head. The aroma is a mix of bready malt with some pine notes mixed in. The beer also has an iced tea aroma. The flavor is a mix of pine and orange citrus hops with some toffee notes. Low bitterness. Thin, slightly watery mouthfeel and low to medium carbonation.

3.96/5  rDev +15.5%

A - Copper colored beer. Good head retention, lacing is also nice.

S - Spicy and earthy hop aroma. Hops are very prevalent here.

T - Bittering hops really got to shine on the front of the taste. It's enough to pack a wow factor but not enough to gross one out. The malt is there on the back of the pallet but it really lets the hops shine.

M - The mouth feel is the best part of the beer. It is smooth and creamy with no harshness to it. No alcohol burn to it at all.

D - This is a great session IPA. I could down a bunch of these in a night.

3.6/5  rDev +5%

A- Pours a translucent amber red color with a significant amount of off white head. It appears to have a good amount of carbonation.

S- There's a good amount of pine and citrus aromas up front. I'm getting a nice balanced hop/malt aroma. Grapefruit with some orange zest.

T- Wonderfully balanced! Most of the aroma shows up on the palette. Hop bitterness is present but not over the top. Very smooth and drinkable IPA.

M- Very smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. I am finding this to be a very crisp and refreshing IPA.

O- Very drinkable and great tasting IPA for warm weather. There are many averae IPA's out there and I feel that Jockamo reaches a bit higher in my taste. Cheers!

2.96/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a bit cloudy with chill haze copper red body. Fluffy 2 finger dirt stained linen head with poor retention and plenty of sloppy lacing on the glass.

Barely any aroma here, sticky toffee and caramel malts with a hint of pine and orange peel, a tad musty no strength at all.

Malts are bready and sweet with some caramel and toffee. Hops are barely there with earthy orange, pine and some apple juice and grapes on the back end. Very strange, the hoppiness barely gets into the IPA range and tastes much like a strong ESB. Very little bitterness as well, touches briefly on the palate then lingers on in the aftertaste. Dries very well though.

Smooth but a tad watery and modest carbonation. Dries well so score gets slightly bumped up here.

Probably the weakest IPA on flavor that I've ever had but I wasn't too disappointed since the nose didn't make any promises. Balanced but a good APA can provide more hoppiness than this beer. I know the south sometimes is limited in craft beer selection but honestly look around and I'm sure you can do better.

3.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy orangish/light red-brown color with an off white head. Good retention. Awesome lacing.

S: Lots of toffee malt sweetness and some light grapefruit hops. Orange peels. Not too strong of hops though.

T: Light biscuit and toffee malt up front followed by mild citrus and floral hops. A bit of lemon and orange zest as well. Very mild floral hops linger in the aftertaste. Lacking some flavor and hops for an IPA.

M: Medium body, pretty creamy feeling for an IPA. Softer carbonation. Nice.

O: Not bad, not the hoppiest of IPAs by any means.

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked a mix pack in NOLA a few weeks ago. Decided it was time to review this beer.

Poured into my standard snifter, expecting it to some justice to the style and be a bit more floral. Should have stuck with a pint glass.

Appearance is rather mediocre. No real head to speak of. Little lacing with a reddish-orange body that reminds of drunken mornings when I did not drink any water the night before. Blood orange?

Biscuit malts, sweetened orange peel. Hops are muted. I expected something more, but left disappointed. I had this a few years back and the hop presence was more, but this one has no spunk to it whatsoever.

Taste is leaving more as well. Refreshing, though not to the style. Hops are replaced by a sweetened, bready nature that is quite discerning. Enjoyable, but again, I want an IPA. Hops are more present, but add more balance to the malt than accentuate it.

Frankly, if you have to, do it for the sake of trying it. It's a decent bargain for what it is. Not to impressed, but I could see myself ordering it in a bar if I wanted something simple.

A yellowish copper color with a decent white head that fades to a fuzzy cover and lots of webbed lacing. The aroma is a fairly thick, almost perfumey pine-caramel. Pretty decent. The flavor is a somewhat peaty and nutty pine hop with a malty backbone. There’s a leafy bite along with the sweet caramel malt. A nice combination with the pine making it all work out quite nicely. It’s medium-light bodied with peppery carbonation and a mild, spritzy feel. Plenty drinkable and tasty. Recommended for any hop/beer fan.

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

In a pint glass the beer was an amber color with a quickly dissipating white head. It had a little bit of lace.
Mostly floral hops aroma, a little bit of citrus. Sweet malt background. Not a very striking aroma.
Taste was similar to the aroma. Piney, resinous hops with just a tiny bit of orange. Faint biscuit. Again, not very striking.
A very meek beer. It was OK, but there are a lot of better IPAs out there.

2.83/5  rDev -17.5%

This one pans me to review. I has hoping for so much more in this beer.
Clear, dirty orange color with an inch head that dissolved rather fast. Weird, I am picking up cinnamon and , even weirder, toast. A malt forward taste that is flat and shows nothing with any depth.

Sadly, not a very good IPA. Fortunately for the review, I feel like I just got a bad bottle as a craft IPA shouldn't be so off base.

Jockamo IPA from Abita Brewing Co.